Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Space Pioneer 1 - 18. Chapter 18

Doctor Midad activated the brain simulation software under careful watch of the captain himself.

"We need to speak to the Seth man. However, he won’t speak our version of the Daglon language. The language has developed and changed over the centuries," Lest said.

"I’d start out with the most ancient Daglon words to see if the man understands them," Doctor Midad suggested while monitoring the body functions of the crew members.

"And how can I find out about these words?" Lest asked. "I know a few old Daglon words, but I certainly can’t claim to speak the ancient language."

"Well, why don’t you use the language module Jeff worked with when he refined his language?" Midad asked, turning to Lest. "Jeff’s language was uploaded to the Alliance database and he has since worked on refining it. The translator devices and the neural implants get the data from there. Why don’t you check if there’s a database of the Seth language? I’m fairly sure they have preserved what is known of it."

"There’s a problem with this approach, doctor," Lest said. "We jumped back in time. We’re out of reach of the Alliance database."

"The Alliance was actually founded 8,000 years ago and the language database was one of the first things they implemented," Doctor Midad said. "We jumped back only 4,600 years."

"Okay," Lest replied. "But I think it’s too dangerous to connect to their system. They might notice our attempt. This could affect the timeline. The time-space continuum might have self-healing capabilities to a degree, but the planet Kwain tells a different story."

"Yes," Midad said thoughtfully. "It’s probably too big a risk. Then why don’t you ask Hulton to search Ezer’s computer again? I don’t think the list of words that the linguist saved to the computer of Ezer’s ship is all they have on the ancient language. You said yourself that Ezer plans every detail carefully. Don’t you think he connected to the Alliance database and downloaded the Seth language data to his ship, provided that it was stored there?"

"A good idea, Doctor Midad," Lest replied. "I will talk to Hulton."

Lest went back on the bridge. Jeff turned to him.

"We’ve figured out a plan on how to contact the Seth man," he said. "I will try to contact him with the Daidalos radio communication system." He pointed at the screen. "This is a simulation software. Hulton imported the data from the Daidalos and I will operate as if on my ship. My ship’s systems are archaic from your point of view. The Seth man, however, might be able to receive and read the data. We received his pings. I’ll work with the channel he used."

"The transmissions will go through the Horus computer anyway," Lest said. "So what’s the point of it?"

"Yes, we will use the Horus computer for actually sending the data packages off, but my approach limits our communication possibilities and thus saves us a lot of time."

"It limits our possibilities widely," Hulton said drily. "You cannot do much with this backward console. We have a tracker and a rudimentary radio communication system. Satellite communication won’t work because no satellites are orbiting the planet. Space crease communication systems are not available at all."

"We didn’t see any signs of real high-tech technology in Men-Nefer," Jeff said. "It seems the Seth descendants preserved some devices and they still know how to us them, but they apparently don’t have the means and the equipment to build up a high-tech civilization. They have either lost the knowledge or the equipment or both. I figure it best we try to contact the man on a basic level of communication."

"Which Jeff’s system truly provides," Hulton said, nodding at the screen. "Jeff has a point. In case he’s right, we won’t waste time with trying to establish a connection on more sophisticated levels."

Lest looked between Jeff and Hulton. "All right. Why don’t you start and try then?" he asked.

"We need to define the message we want to send," Jeff said. "I was thinking of the Seth solar system, the distance of the planet to the sun, for instance. The Daglons have saved the information and the Seth descendants might have preserved it as well. I suggest we try with the decimal system. I’m sending pi and the circumference of the planet Seth and the radius of its orbit around the sun."

Lest nodded. "It might work out. Transmit the data as a regular package, and then we will wait for a response."

Jeff started transmitting the data. Every package was followed by thirty seconds silence. Jeff stopped the transmissions after thirty minutes. They waited for half an hour, then Jeff repeated the transmissions. Ten minutes after Jeff had sent off the last data package, the computer announced an incoming message. The men jumped to their feet and gathered behind Jeff. The transmission lasted ten minutes. The Horus computer analyzed the signals and showed the results on a screen.

"They’ve repeated our transmission," Lest said. "This doesn’t necessarily mean they were able to read and understand the data."

"Someone has replied at least," Jeff said. "Someone is listening and is able to answer. We’re making progress."

"The signals were coming from the same co-ordinates as the previously sent-off signals," Hulton said.

Lest nodded. "Go on, Jeff. Send the data again, but leave out the radius. Let’s see what they do," he said.

Jeff transmitted the data. Only ten minutes later, they got a response. It was a short message.

"The radius," Lest said as the computer showed the result. "They’re in fact communicating, but we still don’t know if they really understand the numbers or if it’s just guesswork. They might have just sent back the number that was missing in our second transmission. Repeat this with pi and Earth’s orbit around the sun and leave out the circumference of Earth."

Earth’s data was saved to the Horus computer. Hulton imported the figures into the simulation software and Jeff sent the data package off. The reply took longer this time, but it ultimately came. The answer was correct. The sender had transmitted the circumference of Earth.

"This shows that they know what we’re doing and that they have an idea of their solar system," Lest said.

He was interrupted by another incoming message.

"Ah," Lest said with an acknowledging smile. "They won’t just reply. They’re seizing control of this conversation. Let’s see what they want."

The message contained the numbers from zero to ninety and ended with an additional number. The men were looking at the screen, trying to figure out what the sender’s message was supposed to convey. A few minutes went by.

"The numbers from zero to ninety might indicate latitudinal lines," Jeff said finally. "We still use this system. The last number might mark the latitudinal line of their transmitting station. The zero line would be the reference line. Can we compute this?"

"Sure," Le’Ton, said. He typed on his console and a three-dimensional picture of Earth appeared on the screen. He mapped the latitudinal lines and reddened the line that presumably marked the line of the sender’s transmitting station.

"Correct," Hulton said. "The line goes through the co-ordinates of the place where the signals are being sent off. Their latitude system is in fact the system still used on Earth."

Lest nodded. "Transmit the latitude of their transmitting station. Let them know we understood," he said.

A couple of minutes later, a reply came in. The short message repeated the number of the latitude of the sender’s transmitting station and added a new number."

"Presumably the longitude number of their transmitting station," Lest said. "Could you map the longitude lines, Le’Ton."

"Try an angular system with 360 degrees for the longitude lines," Jeff said.

Le’Ton mapped the lines and then zoomed into the picture. Hulton leaned forward and typed on his console. Another map appeared on the screen.

"The shuttle mapped the area while you were flying over it. This is the town Men-Nefer," he said. "This point indicates the pyramid. Le’Ton, I’ll send you the co-ordinates of the pyramid Map them in, please. I suspect the pyramid is their reference point for latitudes and longitudes."

Le’Ton imported the file. "That’s it," he said. "Hulton was right. The pyramid is the reference point of their geographic coordinate system."

"Okay," Lest said. "Send them the co-ordinates of their transmitting station based on their system."

Jeff transmitted the numbers and a reply came in very soon. The sender sent a double zero, paused thirty seconds and sent another data package. The computer analyzed it. The package contained the numbers from zero to twenty-three.

"The double zero indicates the pyramid site. But the numbers from zero to twenty-three? What do they want now?" Hulton asked in confusion.

"That’s easy," Jeff said. "We divide the day in twenty-four hours. I’m certain they’re indicating at the time system."

"The time system hasn’t changed in 4,600 years?" Lest asked with surprise.

"No," Jeff replied. "We don’t easily give up what is tried and tested. I mean we like to preserve what has stood the test of time, so to speak. This hasn’t changed since the time of the Ancient Egyptians," he said with a smile. "I guess they want to fix a meeting on the pyramid compound. We just need to fix the hour."

"I see," Lest replied. He was thinking. "I suggest we fly there at night with the shuttle. Things should be quiet by then. I want to reduce the risk of the shuttle being seen and I don’t want lurkers on the pyramid compound. What would be a good time? What do you think, Jeff?"

"Eleven in the evening?" Jeff mused. "This would be the number twenty-three. I could imagine the town will be asleep by then. We must of course scan the site before touching down with the shuttle."

Lest nodded. "Okay. Send them a double zero and the number twenty-three. Repeat the message three times," Lest said.

Jeff sent the message and the answer came promptly. The unknown sender repeated their message three times. The men on the Horus waited for a while longer, but no more messages came in.

"That’s it," Lest said. "We better rest now for a couple of hours. Corr, put the ship on alert and send a drone off to watch out and scan the area. Hutlon, anything new about Ezer’s shuttle and main ship?"

"The main ship has not moved. The shuttle will reach the main ship in about twelve hours, if they continue at the same speed," Hulton said.

Lest nodded. He touched his temple, focused on his neural implant and told Doctor Midad to deactivate the brain simulation software. Lest turned back to the men on the bridge.

"All right, off to the quarters," he said.

***

The computer woke them in the evening. The men assembled on the bridge.

"The engineers are getting the shuttle ready for departure. I will pilot it," Lest said. "Doctor Midad, you will come with me. You’re the most educated regarding culture and language things. Jeff, you will come along also. Earth is your home planet, after all. Corr, Le’Ton, and Hulton, you will stay on the Horus. Keep the ship on alert. No solo actions this time. Always report back to me unless there’s a case of emergency. In this case you will leave the planet and jump into the future. Any decisions from that point you must take on your own."

"We won’t leave you behind, captain," Le’Ton protested.

Lest made a gesture with his hand. "No discussions. This is a command. Now, Hulton, calculate the time for the departure of the shuttle. I want to arrive thirty minutes earlier in order to scan the place. Le’Ton, plot the course of the shuttle and transfer the data to it. Corr, check the alert and communication systems."

Lest turned to Midad and Jeff.

"Let’s go to the galley and grab something to eat and discuss how we will proceed after landing on the pyramid compound. We’ll stop by the armory and get a few weapons, just to make sure we can defend ourselves," he said.

Lest left the bridge. Doctor Midad and Jeff followed him.

The shuttle left the main ship two hours later. The flight through the night was smooth and uneventful. They arrived at the pyramid compound at half past ten. The shuttle was cruising over the area. Everything was dark on the ground. The surveillance system was scanning the pyramid site and the surrounding areas. The compound and the adjoining places and streets were empty. Lest started the descent.

They had not received another message and had not sent off another one. The operation was risky, but none of the men wanted to step back from it now. They sat quietly in their seats and focused on the displays and controls, suppressing their nervousness and excitement.

The shuttle descended and hovered over the pyramid. Jeff wondered how the Seth man had discovered the small ship. Was the man hawk-eyed and had seen the shuttle cruising in the sky? Had he been looking out for a spaceship? Had the Seth descendants waited centuries for someone to find them? Jeff had no idea, but he was certain he would learn the truth in a couple of minutes, provided the man was actually waiting for them down on the ground.

Lest landed the shuttle and put it on alert mode. The surveillance system was scanning the area, but didn’t detect anybody outside. The three men in the shuttle were staring at the screen. They winced when three figures stepped out of the shadows and slowly approached the shuttle. The unknown men stopped ten meters from the vehicle and raised their hands, thus indicating that they did not carry any weapons.

The three men in the shuttle kept looking at the screen for another while, then Lest unstrapped and rose to his feet. Doctor Midad took a deep breath and also got out of his seat. Jeff sat a while longer and looked at the three figures on the screen. There was no denying the truth. His home planet Earth held a secret that Jeff was not sure should ever be revealed. Finally, he rose to his feet.

Lest opened the shuttle door manually. He let down the ramp and stepped out. Jeff and Midad followed him. The three men went down the ramp slowly. The three figures moved on as well. The two groups met half-way. The men stopped and looked at each other.

"Life is composed of two parts that which is past a dream and that which is to come a wish," one of the Seth man said in ancient Daglon.

Lest and Jeff struggled to get the meaning of the words, but Doctor Midad answered promptly.

"What is coming is better than what is gone," he repeated the greeting, using the modern version of the Daglon language.

The six men looked at each other, stunned and in disbelief, but then they relaxed and a smile spread on their faces.

"We have much to talk about," one of the Seth men said.

Lest gave a nod. "In fact, we have," he said.

***

2014 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..