Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Space Pioneer 1 - 19. Chapter 19

IV

Back to the Future

 

The meeting was brief and the conversation difficult. The Daglon language had derived from the Seth language, but it had undergone many changes in the 45,000 years that had followed the emigration from Seth. The three men on Earth, Seth descendants as well, had preserved the Seth language the best they could, but their language had also changed and developed. Only Doctor Midad, the most educated of the Horus crew regarding cultural and linguistic knowledge, was able to communicate with the three men to a certain degree.

The six men didn’t leave the pyramid compound. The place was safe as it was fenced and could not be observed from the outside. The Seth men conversed with Doctor Midad and soon it was clear that the men actually descended from the settlers who had left their home planet Seth and had flown to Earth. The settlers had tried to preserve Seth knowledge and technology, but much had been lost during the ages.

Midad suddenly got excited after listening for a couple of minutes to the leader of the Seth group. The doctor turned to Lest and Jeff.

"As far as I understand, they have a few computer systems running, hidden and in a secret place, and one of these computers holds a language database. We should try to import the data to the main computer of the Horus. I could prepare ear clips for the men," he said.

"Like the one I used before I got my neural implant?" Jeff asked.

"Exactly," Doctor Midad replied.

"Ask them if they can provide the data," Lest said. "The Horus computer should be able to develop a language database that will allow us to converse more easily."

Midad turned back to the men. The men got excited and one of them hurried and left the compound. He returned forty minutes later with a portable device in his hand. He handed it to Doctor Midad who passed it on to Lest. The captain turned it in his hands and studied it while the others were watching him. Lest looked up.

"I can’t see how I can connect it to the computer," he said. "I need to talk to Hulton and the engineers on the Horus."

Jeff reached out and seized the device. He held it in front of his eyes, because the place was only sparsely lit by a torch light that the Seth men had brought.

"It looks like an external hard drive," Jeff said. "It’s a hardware problem, but I think the engineers will solve it. I’m confident we’ll be able to import and read the data."

Lest suggested they fly back to the Horus. Doctor Midad talked with the Seth men. They agreed to meet again on the pyramid compound at eleven o’clock the following night.

***

The engineers on the Horus examined the hard drive and after some trying and fiddling they were able to connect it to the spaceship’s main computer. Unfortunately, the data was unreadable. The Daglon men were disappointed.

"The Daidalos could again help to solve this problem," Jeff said." How about we import the data to my virtual ship."

"Go ahead," Lest said, stepping back from the console.

Hulton sat down and activated the simulation program. The image of the Daidalos cockpit appeared on the screen. Hulton imported the data from the Seth external hard drive. A bar showed the progress of the import and a couple of minutes later a message said that the import had been successful. Jeff tried to open the data, but the format of the files was unknown.

"Give me some time. I’m confident I can open the files," Hulton said, seizing his keyboard.

"If anybody, then it’s you who can do the job," Jeff said.

Hulton nodded absently. He was already absorbed in his task. Jeff joined Lest and the other Daglon men. They stood for a while, watching Hulton, until the man looked up with a frown.

"I can’t focus with you staring at my back," he said.

The men left the bridge and went to the galley. They had a snack and then sat idly in the lounge. They were waiting patiently for Hulton to finish his job. They knew this was a crucial point in their mission. Much depended on Hulton’s success and the computer’s ability to develop a Seth language database. Doctor Midad came to the lounge area with three ear clips in his hand. He placed them on the table.

"These are older models," he said. "I knew I had seen them a couple of years ago. I suppose they belonged to the original supplies of the ship. According to the time stamp, they were produced before the war. Nobody uses this kind of clips anymore. Everybody goes for neural implants these days, or the Kallwet ear clips, if necessary. There’s no delay in translation with the modern clips due to the Kallwet patent. The sound quality is excellent and you’re barely aware of wearing the clip. This all was different with the older clips. I don’t remember anybody who did not complain about them. However, the older clips were able to process all data formats, whereas the Kallwet clips only process the Alliance standard format."

"All language data in the database are Alliance standard format," Lest said.

Doctor Midad cast him a look. "Isn’t Hulton currently working on retrieving non-standard format?" he asked.

"True," Lest replied. "But, provided we’re able to retrieve the data, we must then try to convert the files into standard format. It would simplify things a lot. The Horus computer works with the standard format and currently with the spaceship’s language module. We’re not connected to the Alliance database at present, doctor. We have the latest version of Daglon and English implemented on the ship. The older clips won’t hurt, however. Let’s take these for the operation."

Another hour went by and then Hulton appeared in the doorway with his thumb up. The men jumped from their seats and went on the bridge. They gathered behind Hulton, who was sitting at the console and pointing at the screen in front of him. A blue bar showed 8% processed.

"The computer is importing the data," Hulton said. "We won’t need the virtual Daidalos for the import. I was able to convert the Seth data format with an outdated converter tool. I used my own computer for this. It wasn’t an easy job and I’ll save you the details, but it worked out in the end. I converted the data to standard format with another tool and then started transferring the files to the Horus computer. The main computer will analyze the data and save it to the spaceship’s language database."

"Won’t the computer send the data to the Alliance database automatically?" Doctor Midad asked. "I understood the Horus computer sent Jeff’s language to the Alliance computer. Won’t the Alliance notice the addition to the database?"

"I think Hulton can stop the computer from automatically sending the data off," Lest said.

"I guess I’m not an expert in the engineering field. I better stop adding noise," Midad said.

Lest smiled. "No noise, Doctor Midad," he said. "Ask Le’Ton for assistance. The clips must in fact not connect to the Alliance database. They must pull the data from the Horus computer. See if they need to be re-programmed."

Le’Ton sat down in the navigator’s seat and pointed at the seat next to him. Midad sat down and pulled the clips from a pocket of his space overall.

"I’ll change the defaults of the clips," Le’Ton said. "But first I must find them in the system. If they belonged to the ship’s original equipment, the hardware should be registered with the main system and the corresponding software components should be installed. You said the clips have a time stamp. Do they have a registration number also?"

Midad examined the clips and soon found the numbers. Le’Ton entered them into his console.

Lest turned to Jeff. "The men introduced themselves to us, but I didn’t understand their names properly," he said.

"The one who seemed to be the leader of the group called himself Osiris," Jeff replied. "I didn’t get the other names either."

"Osiris?" Lest asked. "What’s the meaning of the name in Ancient Egypt?"

"I looked it up," Jeff said. "Osiris was an Egyptian god. He was the ruler of the dead. He was also called the king of the living because the blessed dead were considered the living ones."

"A twisted concept," Lest replied.

"Not so much if you think of Seth’s history," Jeff said. "The planet was destroyed and the inhabitants died. Only a small group of survivors made it to Earth 45,000 years ago. They arrived at the time of the ice age. The Seth species was on the brink of extinction."

"Right," Lest said. "They left Seth after the Daglon settlers, but they most likely didn’t know if the Daglons survived."

Lest went to the captain’s seat and sat down. Jeff moved to a side console and opened the database they had pulled from Earth and saved to the Horus computer. He continued reading about the Egyptian gods.

***

Hulton finally announced that the language database was ready, but couldn’t tell if it functioned and would work with the ear clips properly.

"We’ll find out about it soon," Lest said, rising from his seat. "Midad, Le’Ton, are the ear clips ready?"

The two men confirmed and Midad put the clips in a pocket of his overall.

It was evening meanwhile.

"All right," Lest said. "Midad, Jeff, let’s get prepared for our next meeting with the men. Corr, what’s going on outside?"

"The drone is monitoring the ship and the area. It has not yet spotted any activities," Corr replied.

"Hopefully, Ezer has not yet come back," Doctor Midad said, turning to Lest. "Many hours have gone by. Is Hulton monitoring the movements of Ezer’s shuttle and his main ship?"

"Yes," Lest replied. "Anything new, Hulton?" he asked.

"No," Hulton said. "The main ship has not moved and the shuttle is still on its way. It will arrive at the main ship in approximately two hours."

"Okay, keep monitoring the shuttle and the ship," Lest said.

He left the bridge. Doctor Midad and Jeff followed him. They got prepared for their next trip to the pyramid compound. The shuttle left the main ship a couple of hours later. The flight was short and uneventful. Lest landed the shuttle. The place was empty and quiet. They remained sitting in the shuttle, monitoring the compound. At eleven the three Seth men were approaching the shuttle. The shuttle’s systems had not registered their entry to the compound.

"It seems to me as if they come out of nowhere," Midad said.

"Odd, indeed," Lest replied. He zoomed in and looked at the surveillance screen. "The same three men, unarmed. All right, let’s open the hatch and get out."

 

***

Lest, Midad, and Jeff went down the ramp. The Seth men bowed to them and said a greeting that again only Doctor Midad was able to understand. The doctor stepped forward and pulled the ear clips from his pocket. He showed the Seth men how to attach them to their ears. The men did like he had told them and then looked at Doctor Midad expectantly.

"May I introduce myself," the doctor said. "My name is Doctor Midad."

The Seth men gazed at Midad for an instant, then turned to each other and exchanged excited looks. Finally, one of the men stepped forward and bowed to the captain.

"I understood you were the leader of this group and the pilot of the vehicle. My name is Osiris. My greetings to you," he said.

"I’m Captain Lest," Lest said with a nod. "This vehicle is only a shuttle. My spaceship is parked in the desert north of this place. I greet you on behalf of my crew."

Osiris looked at Lest, then turned his head to Jeff and studied his face curiously.

"My name is Jeff Caspar," Jeff said and smiled briefly. He felt the urge to add that Earth was his home planet, but decided against already revealing the fact. He bowed slightly instead.

The other Seth men stepped forward as well. They introduced themselves as Hemiunu and Imhotep. They smiled politely and bowed their heads. There was a brief silence, then Osiris smiled and touched his ear.

"This device will make our conversation much easier. I thank you for providing these clips. I figure it was a lot of work to get them working," he said.

"Not so much," Lest said with a smile. "Well, it took us a couple of hours to get it done, but we ultimately managed. We had to convert your data."

Osiris smiled again and made a gesture with his hand.

"Come," he said. "We’ll lead you to a place where we can talk more comfortably. Your shuttle will be safe here. No one will enter the compound. The fence is high and will prevent anybody from entering the compund."

"Are you sure about it?" Lest asked doubtfully.

"The fence is carrying current tonight," Osiris said with a meaningful look. "Anybody touching or climbing it, will experience the work of magic." His smile broadened a bit.

"Magic?" Jeff asked. "Are you saying the Egyptians have no idea of advanced technologies?"

Osiris measured Jeff before he replied. "Only few humans caught a glimpse of it. It’s better for them and it’s better for us. Now come, please, and follow us."

"We’ll take you to my house," Imhotep said. "I have a meal prepared for late guests."

"There we can talk," the third Seth man, Hemiunu, added.

Lest gave a nod. The Seth men turned around and crossed the compound. Lest, Jeff, and Midad followed them closely. Osiris led the group to the pyramid and stopped in front of the entrance. He turned to Jeff and the Daglon men.

"This pyramid was built for various reasons and there are many chambers in it. The building will ultimately be closed and the entrance will be sealed to the public. However, we will still have access to the building in the future," he said. "We have built a tunnel to it."

***

2014 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 08/21/2014 08:11 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
More and more interesting! Can't wait to hear the Seth side of their time on Earth.
Thank you! The next chapter is up. Two more and then we're done.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..