Jump to content
    Don H
  • Author
  • 960 Words
  • 2,839 Views
  • 2 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Don's Top 10 Writing Tips - 1. Don's Top 10 Writing Tips

Don's Top 10 Writing Tips
I appreciate being asked by Myr to jot down some tips on writing that I try to follow myself when I write.

I do so in full knowledge that there is no one, perfect way to use the written word to communicate with readers. But there are some techniques that I use to try to make it as easy as possible for readers to peruse the material and understand the characters, the plot of the story, and embrace the thoughts and feelings that I'm trying to convey.

I've seen stories which are written totally in one long paragraph. The challenge of reading and absorbing material without breaks in it is sometimes so great that a reader will give up on a good story. Don't shy away from white space between paragraphs. It's worth the extra broadband use. However, if for some reason we, as writers, get blocked or in a slump, sometimes we have to write when we are less than motivated. It's at those times when discipline will carry us through. If a writer doesn't feel that he or she has to write no matter what else is going on in life, not much will be produced. History is replete with authors, composers and other artists who "toughed it out" in adverse circumstances and produced wonderful material.

  • This first tip is based on the physiology and psychology of the human brain. Generally speaking, don't write in long paragraphs. Collectively, we human beings have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to reading, and the brain is constantly refocusing on ideas as we read. Long paragraphs tend to let the mind wander. So short paragraphs (and shorter sentences) help us stay focused on what the writer is trying to convey.
  • Dialog should generally be placed in a separate paragraph from text because it can be key to understanding what a character is thinking and feeling at any given time. If it's buried in text, such dialog doesn't stand out the way it should.
  • Dialog should be simple, punchy and to the point, usually. People generally don't talk like college professors (unless, of course, you're writing about a college professor giving a lecture). Listen to the way people talk in real life, and emulate that. We don't talk to each other the way we write to each other.
  • Respect the idiom of the person speaking in your dialog. Teenagers who are talking to each other speak differently from a teenager talking to an adult, and adults talk to one another differently than when they are speaking to a young person. Respecting a character's idiom helps that character become better defined in readers' minds.
  • Respect traditional rules for writing when it comes to punctuation and sentence structure. We are all more casual in writing personal emails than we should be when we're writing works of fiction for wide consumption. We should be aiming at the broadest possible readership when we write a story, and older readers in particular may not want to read material which is improperly punctuated and wildly unconventional in structure. It's one thing to be unconventional in the ideas we want to convey; it's another to be unconventional in the way we express those ideas unless there is an overriding reason for doing so.
  • Outline the plot and have a grasp of the characteristics of major characters before beginning to write. That doesn't mean that a writer has to be a slave to his initial ideas about the story line or the characters. They usually change somewhat as a writer gets into the story anyway. As characters get better established, they can sometimes almost write their own dialog for the writer, for example. But the writing process is speeded and enhanced if we have a rough blueprint of where we're going in mind from the start.
  • This is a no-brainer, but I'll throw it in anyway. A writer should use as much of his own life experience as possible in the story line and character development. Doing so gives a story the ring of authenticity which supplements creativity and imagination.
  • Try to write when you're feeling energetic and in a good mood. Sometimes we aren't always in control of those factors, but what we produce when we're happiest and most full of energy will most likely stand out. If you're enjoying your story and your characters, it generally shows.
  • Choose a font and font size that make your posted document easy to read. All aside the content of a story, if it's easy on the eyes, the reading experience will be that much more enjoyable.
  • And finally, Don't post your story or the new chapter of your story immediately after finishing it. We're all anxious to see the finished product in print for others to read. But first, proof read it yourself for mistakes, and if possible, have a second party proof it as well. If you can, wait twenty-four hours after completion and read it over again. You'll often find problems with the storyline or with characters which can be corrected before sending it to the site you're using. Mistakes say, at least to some readers, that you didn't care enough to do a workmanlike job on the story.
Understand, though, that some mistake is always going to get by you without getting corrected. That's the human condition--we make mistakes. After you've done what you can to eliminate errors, live with what you've done and rejoice in your creativity.

Those are just a few ideas more or less off the top of my head. I hope they're helpful to writers with stories to tell and who want to enhance the readers' experiences.

Good luck and good writing!

Don Hanratty

Copyright © 2017 Don H; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
  • Love 2
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

All excellent and things i try to do.  For me trying to read huge long pieces of text online is hard and if there's too much of it, I likely won't read it.  Lots of breaks and white space make it so much easier.

 

I agree with all of Don's points. Great suggestions. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Great, simple to understand tips from a wonderful author. I remember reading this a long time ago and most of these points stuck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..