Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Failine - 2. Chapter 2

We walked down the beaten path in Creek Forest that lead to the pack’s cabin. It was early evening, and though it was late September, the air was mild. I loved that time of the year that lingered somewhere between summer and fall, its warm days and cold nights. The dawn, having a hard time to find its way through the many trees, dip-painted everything into crimson shades. It didn’t take much effort to imagine this to be an enchanted fairy forest. Where else would a family of shifters fit in? I didn’t see or hear an animal. They knew who invaded their home this night and preferred to hide. How much I’d love to join them. Though the light was dim and silence lay over the forest, sensations flooded over me, sensations of smell. Since I had gone through the Fever, I could smell information as easily as seeing or hearing it. I knew who had entered the house as soon as the door opened; that it was Dad coming home from his office and his papers; that it was Mom who had a turkey sandwich despite being on a vegetarian diet; that it was Jamie and Mr. Hoppypop returning from the sandlot. The aroma of this place was unfamiliar, and I couldn’t name the things making it up. This could be rotting wood and some mushrooms, but there was so much more detail, too intricate for me to discern. In wolf form, these sensations would intensify. That’s what Mom and Dad had told me. For my taste, the intensity was overwhelming enough as it was.

“The whole forest belongs to the pack,” my dad said. I looked up at him, but he gazed into the twilight with eyes unfocused.

He lived through some memories of his own, and the sentence hadn’t been for me. “Yes, Sir,” I said nonetheless.

I had known the pack lore by heart since I had been Jamie’s age. Mom and Dad were more lenient with Jamie. I was happy for him that his childhood was unburdened, without constant admonitions about obligations and responsibility. He was spared being the first born. That was my gift for him as his older brother.

“Jamie, come back here,” Mom said. “The forest can be dangerous, especially in the night.”

We were the most dangerous creatures here, so what did Mom worry about?

Jamie came back, running. This boy couldn’t just walk. He raised his one-eared companion. “Mr. Hoppypop watches out for me.”

Mom and Dad laughed. “Of course, he does,” Dad said.

If I asked him, would Jamie let me have Mr. Hoppypop this night? Someone to watch over me would be nice. I reached into my pocket and touched the smooth surface of the necklace. Maybe my ancestors would volunteer for this part, though I had never met my grandfather or my great grandfather. Trying to find solace in the remnants of some dead animal was pretty desperate, even for me.

Copyright © 2014 Hasimir Fenrig; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..