Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Regrets And Heartaches - 2. Chapter 2

(JOEY’S POINT OF VIEW)

What a start at a new place, and not even here a week before the police shows up at the new house. I honestly do not know, what is going on with my mother and uncle. To tell you the truth I do not want to know. Even if they were to tell me, I would walk away. I cannot see my uncle as a father figure to me and my sister.

Because the beating, my uncle gave me I had to stay out of school for couple days. There is no way I could go to class looking like I was used as a punching bag by a famous boxer. The questions that will be asked I won't have the answers to. At least none that I do not have to lie about!

So I used the last couple days to get the household in order. I do not have Grandpa Al to take care my finances. I have to make the decisions on my own and ensure that I do not spend all the money that I got from my aunt and uncle and then the investments payouts that grandpa Al got for me.

I already spent a huge chunk on this house. I know they overcharged for this house, because I was in a hurry to move in. They saw a fool walk into their offices and said to each other. Let’s take this kid for every penny they could.

By Thursday, my mother finally gave up asking me for the bail money. My uncle Dominic is now sitting in the County jail waiting for trial. I suggest he takes whatever plea bargain the District Attorney is willing to give up. If he chooses to take this in front of a jury, he will lose and lose bad.

My mom caught me as I walked in from putting in a couple of job applications. Before I could even shut the door, she started getting on my case.

“You're not going to school anymore Joey, so where do you go all day? You may have paid for this house and move, but I am still your mother. And you will listen to me whenever I tell you to do something or go somewhere.”

“We have gone through this so many times. It is getting old already. You gave me birth, but as far as you being my guardian. You are not anymore, and the courts of Texas confirmed that. I don't care if I bought this house or moved us here. You haven’t been my mother in years. Now it's too late to walk in and try to be it again.”

My mother just looked at me and sat back down on the couch. Everything I see in this house reminds me of Jacob. I wish we would have left all this furniture back in El Paso and bought new furniture when we got here.

“If you continue to act this way, I will take your sister, and move out, leaving you all by yourself. I can guarantee you that Jacob and his family will not take you back. You sealed the deal the day that you left him in the fashion in which you left him.

If you do not want to be all alone, I suggest you get off your high horse. You give me the money to bail out your uncle and let him live here. You will stop making trouble for your uncle, and me. You will also stop demanding for us on getting a job. You have money, and we could live off of that.”

I heard the words, but I couldn't believe they were coming out of my mother's mouth. She thinks by using my sister as a wedging tool between me and my money that she will win! She must be seriously smoking some kind of drugs thinking it will work.

Those are the thoughts going through my mind as I sat down on the chair to the left of my mother. Doing everything I could to gather my thoughts in order to not say something I could not take back later on.

“I like to see you move out of this house and take Fran with you. The door is always opened, and you could leave at any time, but there is no way I will allow you to destroy my sister's life. I will go to court and spend every last dime I have two take her away from you and Uncle Dominic.

You can stay and live in this house, but not Uncle Dominic. I will not give you money, and you will get a job. You are the adult here with two minor children. So start acting like an adult instead of a spoiled child.”

Not giving my mom another chance to speak, I walked out of the living room. I walked over to my room. Thinking on how much what my mother said about Jacob and his family is true, there is no way I can show up on his doorstep thinking that he will take me back anytime soon.

The next morning I decided to go ahead and head to school. Most of the swelling in my face has gone down as well as the black and blue has gone away. Really no one will say anything about the way I look, basically because I am new.

I got my breakfast and sat down, but really didn't feel like eating it. The food here actually looks eatable unlike the food we got in our schools in El Paso. I figure the smaller the school is, the more they can spend on extra items such as real food.

I sat there playing with a promise ring that Jacob gave me a couple years ago as I looked around the cafeteria. Out of the blue this guy sat down at my table. I looked at him thinking that he may be lost or something. Then I started thinking that I might actually be sitting at his table.

“Hey dude, I haven't seen you around here before. That means you must be new. How long have you been coming to school here?”

I looked at the guy wondering what he actually wants. There is no way a popular kid would sit down with a newbie. No! This guy has something up his sleeve.

“This is only my second day at the school.” Short, sweat, and to the point of his question! There is no way I'm going to give this guy any more information than needed. At least until I know what he is up to.

“Oh, well, this school isn't that bad. Just like any high school we have our own little cliques, but nothing violent. What school did you transfer in from?”

“To tell you the truth dude, I don't know you and because of that. I am very uncomfortable answering any questions you may have. I don't know what the bottom line is with you, but where I come from, when a newbie is approached by another student, that student wants something from the newbie.”

“I can tell that you are not from Alamogordo. With your accent, you're from Texas, and more likely El Paso. The way you carry yourself and act, you cannot be from a smaller city in Texas or New Mexico.”

“I don't know how in the world you know that I'm from Texas, much less El Paso Texas. I don't care to know how you got that information just leave me the hell alone.”

“Come on man, lighten up and relax. I saw the plates on your truck when you arrived this morning, and I just threw in El Paso. I guess I hit it on the nose. Let us start over and get to know each other the right way.

First let's start off by introducing ourselves to each other. My name is Caleb and I am from Alamogordo, New Mexico born and raised. I don't have a vehicle like that awesome truck that you drive.”

I looked at Caleb, thinking he might actually be cool. I might be jumping the gun here with him. I am so agitated on what is going on at home with my mother and uncle. I'm now thinking that everyone is like my mom now--evil to the core with an alternate motive dealing with me!

“My name is Joey, and I'm very sorry for acting like a jackass. You're right; I am from El Paso Texas. That was a very good guess by the way. That truck you see me climbing out love was a gift to me.”

“You must come from a rich family in order for truck like that to be given as a gift. It can't be more than a couple years old, but completely loaded with all the extras. I haven't seen a truck like that except in the magazines.”

I completely forgot that Jacob had the truck ordered for me. When we got home from celebrating my birthday that day, Jacob had the truck delivered to the house. Later I found out that Jacob had it specially made for me.

“I'm sorry if I said something that offended you Joey. We don't know each other really good right now, and we might say things to one another that will hurt.”

“No, you didn't offend me. How could you, just like you said you don't even know me. Just certain things people say, or you might see brings back memories that you forgot long ago. I forgot about the truck, because I've had it a couple years.”

“I'm going to tell you the truth Joey on why I decided to sit here with you today. When I walked in I saw a guy deep in thought but thought of worries. I also saw something that is very rare around here. The way you are holding onto that ring is telling me that you are suffering a loss.

This is none of my business and you could tell me to shut up. Did you break up with your girlfriend before you came up here? Or does that ring be long to a love one that you lost down in El Paso.”

To say, this guy is blunt and to the point is an understatement. He is reading me like a book. The only other person that could do that is Jacob.

“I had to let go of the love of my life before coming up here. This was given to me as a promise ring, and I broke the promise we had. I never meant to do it, but I had no choice in the matter.”

Saved by the bell as you would say when the bell rings. I got up and headed off to get my books for the morning classes. I don't remember seeing Caleb in any of my classes on Monday, but again, I wasn't looking.

(CALEB’S POINT OF VIEW)

I watched Joey, get up to the table and walked away. I wasn't completely honest with him about why I sat down here. I know I should have but I have messed up in the past when I have been straightforward with someone.

I decided with Joey to go a different route and see if I was right about him. You know, go fishing for information, but Joey is good on keeping things from leaking out. Just at the end, I got my answer.

In such a small town like Alamogordo, you have to be careful on what you're doing. If rumors ever get around that you are lesser than a man, you are done here. So far I have been lucky on keeping my secret from everyone that I am gay.

Joey doesn't expel the essence of a gay person. He doesn't walk, talk or acts like a gay person. Just like me. If you would look at me, you couldn't tell. That is what I'm looking for in a boyfriend.

When I saw Joey playing with that ring, I knew. No guy at our age will wear a promise ring on her wedding finger. Normally, no one would put one and one together to make two like I did when I saw Joey sitting at the table.

Then I asked him about his girlfriend and when he was telling me the story he never mentioned a sex. Guys our age feel the need to gossip about their conquests with girls. Joey not only stayed away from that, he stayed to general about his information. That is a dead giveaway, if you're looking for it again.

If Joey was having this conversation with a regular guy, not looking for the signs he would have gotten away with it. Because normal guys do not dissect a conversation they had with another guy. May be a girl they want to date, but not a guy.

I knew this was his second day here before I even approached him. He is actually in all my classes, and I saw him on Monday without the bruises over his face. There is definitely something going wrong in his house.

I will work on becoming his friend and hopefully one day soon his boyfriend. I really hope whoever he left behind, he can let go. This guy is very cute, and I would like to be more then an acquaintance.

As I walked into the class, I spotted him at the same desk he sat in on Monday. He looked up at me and smiled before turning back to the blackboard. My dick got hard instantly when Joey looked at me. I need to rush to my desk before anyone sees me like this.

The bell rang and the teacher took roll call. Immediately after she finished roll call, she called Joey up to her desk. I watched him as he bent over to talk with our homeroom teacher more then likely about his attendance.

Man, he has a nice pair of butt cheeks on him. His thighs are thick, which means he must have been playing sports at his other school. No one could get thighs like that without either going to the gym or playing sports. He also has broad shoulders and cut muscular arms. Nothing big, but he isn't skinny at all.

He walked back to his seat as soon as he finished speaking with the teacher. It is very hard for me not to be looking at him throughout the hour. He is a site to behold for every man and woman to look at. He can actually be a model if he wants to.

(BETH’S POINT OF VIEW)

I don't know what to tell Dominic when I see him. He is now stuck in that horrible place until we can get him a court date, because my son refusing, down out refusing, to help. He doesn't understand if it wasn't for his smartass mouth, Dominic would not be in the position that he is in now.

I looked over at the clock on the wall and saw it was a little bit after nine. I picked up the phone figuring that Francisca would be at the house already and she will be picking up the phone if anyone calls.

By the fourth ring, Francisca answered the phone. “Francisca, this is Beth, do me a favor and do not mention my name as we talk. The Hernandez's will not take too kindly to anyone talking with us. Plus I do not want to get you into any trouble.”

“If you do not want to get me into trouble then why call? You know I need this job and I cannot afford to lose it because you need to talk. I am sorry, but I decided to stay out of what is going on in this house.”

“I understand your frustration, Francisca, but I need your help. I was wondering if you could speak with either Mr. Serna or Jacob about a loan. I promise I will pay you back the money very soon. I just need some money quickly and you’re the only one I can turn to for this kind of help.”

“What about your son Joey? I understand when he left; he left with huge amount of money in the millions. Go to him and borrow the money that you need. There should be no need for you asking for money from me.”

“That's the problem Francisca, Joey said no. It is because of him I am in the bind today. He will not listen to anyone. When told to do something. He talks back and thinks he is the person in charge not me or his uncle.

He got into a fight with his uncle, and when he lost, instead of taking it like a man, he called the police to have his uncle arrested. Now I need to put together the bail to get Dominic out of jail. So can you help me with this matter?”

I didn't hear anything on the other line. I thought that Francisca had hung up. “Are you still there Francisca?”

“Yes I am still here and heard everything you said. First, I have no money saved because of the funeral that I just paid. Second, I already have borrowed money from Jacob to finish paying for the funeral and you know that. So there is no way I can go to them and borrow more money. So finally that brings you up to my final point, and that is there is no way I can get you any kind of money right now.

I am sorry that I cannot help you, but again, I just do not understand why Joey won't help you. He has the money, and that is telling me since he doesn't want to help, there is something more to the story.”

“Trust me, Francesca. I am telling you everything on what is going on in this matter. I know if you go to Jacob or his grandfather they will loan you money again. They cannot turn their backs to those they care for, and they care for you.

Please, I am begging you, to try at least and ask them for loan. Dominic cannot stay locked up for a long time. I need to get the money together in order to get him out. I wouldn't be calling you if I didn't have any other person to call.”

“I cannot help you right now and I'm sorry. I am barely getting on my feet once again, if you do not pay me. I will be stuck with a loan to pay that isn't mine. I know I told you I will not be taking sides on what happened here. But if you would have stayed. you would not be in the position that you are in right now. That is if the little I have heard is true.”

“May I ask what they are telling you about us leaving?”

“They are not saying anything to me about that. In fact they are staying away from the subject. Jacob is hurting a hell of a lot for the loss of Joey. That you can see in his face every day since you guys left.

Other than that, they are keeping a tight lid on the issue of you guys leaving. Please don’t call me in order to get the gossip over here. I will not tell you anything. I also will not tell them you have called. The decisions were made, and now all sides need to move on.”

Francisca is right on everything she is saying. I can understand why she wants to stay neutral on this matter. She still needs to work in that house. She has quit all her other jobs already. That way she could give the house the full attention she feels it deserves.

“Thank you Francisca for talking with me this morning. If you can think of something to help me out, I really would appreciate it. Please call me at this number.” I gave her our new number at the house. “Other then that, you have a good day and hope to speak with you as friends in the future.”

Francisca thanked me as well and then hung up. We became friends, not good friends, but friends still the same. I figured to give her a shot in order to get the bail money for Dominic. I never thought she could come through for me. I just hoped she might.

Now that I tried every avenue I have to get money. I have no other choice but to go over and tell Dominic that I cannot come up with the bail money. I know he isn't going to be happy with me at all. I only wish I could get some kind of control over my son’s accounts. That way I can stop begging for money.

(JOEY’S POINT OF VIEW)

By lunch time, I noticed that Caleb is in all my morning classes. My curiosity got the best of me in second period. In second period, I sit in the back of the classroom and Caleb sits three desks in front of me. I kept looking at him all through class.

He is white, with a little bit of a tan. His hair is like dark blonde and cut in a flat top. Beautiful gray eyes that I have only seen in cats! You can tell that he shaves at least once a day, but it looks good on him. When he smiles, he has perfect rows of white teeth shining back at you. Not a blemish on his face anywhere.

He is like stocky built that you only see on a football player. You know the kind with big broad shoulders, with muscular arms, all the way down to long legs. He stands around six feet, maybe six feet two from the ground up. This guy is every girls and guys dream.

Lunchtime rolled around, and I sat down at the table that I have become accustomed to. So far no one has come up and told me this is their normal table. That is good for me, because I don't like looking like an idiot in front of the entire school.

I started to eat when I heard Caleb coming up to the table. I looked up at him and saw he brought several of his friends over this time. They all look like they are on the football team. None of them is actually bigger then Caleb.

“I hope you don't mind that a couple of my friends join us for lunch. I was telling them about you, and they wanted to meet you.”

I just shook my head up and down to Caleb as he sat down. My mouth was full of food, and I didn't want to start talking with food in my mouth. It would be embarrassing as hell with food flying out of my mouth and hitting them.

“Let me introduce each of you. First, everybody this is Joey, and Joey this is Lonnie, Kurt and Ivan.” He pointed to each of them as he gave the names.

Just as he finished introducing everybody, a young lady walked up to the table. She seems to know Caleb and the rest, because she started talking quickly to Caleb. The bits and pieces I am able to pick up. It sounds like the young lady is Caleb’s sister.

“Sorry about that you guys, my sister forgot her purse at home and just like every other lady out there. They carry everything in their purses, including their money. Boy I am glad that we have wallets, instead of a purse.”

We all started laughing at what Caleb said. Could you imagine a guy walking around with a purse? To tell you the truth I cannot imagine that. I can barely carry my backpack full of books, more or less another bag to carry my wallet and stuff.

I learned a lot talking to these guys about the school and the town. Although the town is small, but there are things to do. We don't have a border town, but that is fine with me because I didn't go across the border that much.

I also learned my assumptions were right about them playing football. All four of them are on the JV team. That is where I should be this year, but due to my running skills. I actually jumped over freshmen and JV.

“So Joey, what were you involved in at your old high school?”

“I actually played football, just like you guys, but on the senior squad. At the same time I was involved in the rifle team of the ROTC program. In fact, I was the rifle team commander and would have been the rifle team commander next year again.”

“Wow, you are really athletic to be able to jump all the way to the main football team. What position did you play on your old team?”

“I played running back on both sides of the field.”

They looked at each other after I mentioned that. I am starting to think that the coach of this football team is sticking by the rules of high school football. The only rule that a coach at a high school level cannot break is playing a freshman at a higher level. Once you are no longer freshmen. You can play on any level of football in high school.

We finished eating and headed out of the cafeteria. We walked into the quad and sat down at a table. The last time I sat in a quad, was the summer before my freshman year. I had never wanted to be in a quad again.

“What's up Joey, you look freaked out being here? We are allowed to sit here during lunch time or off periods.”

“I'm not worried about being here. It just brings back memories that I do not want to remember. The school I was going to my freshman year has a quad like this. I went through something in that quad that I want to forget it ever happened.”

They looked at each other more confused with my answer. I cannot tell them what had happened to me in the quad. If I do, I will have to explain to them everything including the reason these guys beat the living daylights out of me. I cannot be shunned at this school.

“You have so many stories to tell us. I hope that you will trust us enough to get to know you. Once you get to know us, you will see we are pretty good group of guys to hang around with. We are not your typical football players that are full of themselves.”

I laughed at what Caleb said. He is right on that most football players walk around their school and thinking they are gods at the school. Once they graduate. Most of them don't even go to college and land up working factory jobs.

Don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with that at all. In fact I am looking for a job right now and I don't care if it's a factory or fast food. Anything that pays me a paycheck is good enough for me.

We spent the rest of our lunch period, comparing the two football programs. Their season is already over. They were only off by two games in getting into the playoffs. We barely made it into the playoffs, but didn't think would make it too much further.

Some how, our conversation went from football to girls. All the others except Caleb are in a relationship with a girl. The guys tease Caleb on that. They keep saying that Caleb doesn't want to settle down with just one girl. He wants to continue to play the field and date as many girls possible before he graduates.

“I know you've only been here a couple days Joey, but have any girls caught your eye yet. There are several that are not in a relationship at this time.”

They actually started pointing out every girl they knew that wasn't in a relationship. A couple of the girls actually saw the guys pointing to them. All they did was laugh and wave back to us.

“Come on you guys, leave Joey alone about this. If he needs any help to connect with a girl here, he will ask for our help. Until then, let's just let him be on that.”

Caleb turned to me and winked as he finished talking. He saved me from an awkward conversation with the guys. I need to remember to thank him. I hate trying to lie, because I cannot ever remember the lies. I have said lies in the past and got caught in them, due to not remembering the lie I said.

The bell rang and we all started to rush towards our lockers. I closed the door to my locker after grabbing all my books I will need. I found Caleb standing behind my locker door. He is actually smiling back at me for some reason.

Without me telling him or him asking me, we started walking to class. Immediately we started talking as if we have known each other for years. I am starting to get a weird feeling deep in my stomach about this guy. I think there is more there than that meets the eye. I really hope I am not wrong about what I am thinking.

After school, I headed over to put in several more applications in a couple fast food restaurants and a car dealership. After leaving the car dealership, I needed to stop at Albertson's to pick up a couple things for dinner.

As I walked in, I decided to go ahead and do all the grocery shopping for the week. One thing I learned is buying small amounts at a time actually cost more money then doing the entire grocery shopping at once. Plus with my mom, I cannot trust her to leave her money to buy the groceries that we need.

I noticed a help wanted sign posted at the video store. Since I'm here, I might as well put in the application. I grabbed one of the applications on the counter and started filling it out when the clerk walked up. I didn't even hear him, because I was concentrating so hard on my application.

“Dude, you want to work here at the video store?” I looked up to find the smiling face of Caleb on the other side of the counter.

“Um, wow, what a small world this is. I didn't know that you worked here at the video store or at this Albertson's altogether. Oh, yeah, I would like to work here or anywhere at this point. I just need to get a job in order to help out at home.”

“That would be cool, if we could work together. Here, give me your application. I will give it to my mother. Who is the store manager here. She actually does the hiring of employees in each department.”

I handed him my completed application and as he was running off. I stopped him to ask him a question. “Caleb I could only work evenings and weekends during the school year. So if this position is for day or I have to pull day shifts I can't do that.”

“Don't worry Joey; the shifts that are open are in the evening and weekend. People seem to quit those shifts because of the hours.”

He continued on his way as I started looking around the video store. Another clerk appeared out of nowhere and spooked me. She doesn't look like she belongs in this department at all. She looks like a stocker or maybe she works in the meat department.

Right as I was about to give up on Caleb, he came back. He returned with a middle-age lady in a business suit. I can tell that this lady is Caleb's mom because of some facial similarities between the two.

“Joey, I would like you to meet my mom and mom this is Joey. Joey is a friend from school, and he just moved here from El Paso. He is looking for a job where he could work evenings and weekends.”

“Mr. Alvarez, why don't you follow me to my office that way we can talk about your application for employment.”

I followed Caleb's mother to her office. When we walked in, she asked me to take a seat as she went around her desk. Once she sat down she kept looking at my application. Not saying a word in a positive or negative manner.

“Well, Joey, I hope it's okay, I call you Joey.” I shook my head up and down in the positive. “I see you do not have any work experience at all. So that means either this is going to be your first job or you're not writing down your experience.”

“No ma'am, I mean, this will be my first job it if you give me the opportunity to work here. I promise, what I lack in experience, I will make up in motivation.”

“Applications all fine and dandy, but I like to know about the person. Not what is written on this application, but the person. Tell me about yourself and why should I hire you for this job.”

I swallowed and then cleared my throat before speaking. “I moved up here less than two weeks ago, because my mother wanted a change of scenery. She did not think of what comes next after moving.

I don't want to air out the dirty laundry in my house, but I need the job. We have bills to pay. And no one has a job to pay them. Put aside the bills, I have my little sister to think about as well.”

“If you do not mind me asking Joey, how are you guys living right now? My son told me about that in his truck. I understand you tried to school everyday.”

“Like I told your son today that truck was a gift to me on my birthday couple years ago. It is under my name, but I cannot sell it. It is the only transportation that we have to get around. If you don't hire me here, I will need my truck to get to whatever job I get.”

“Please Joey; don't get me wrong on what I said. I'm not telling you need to sell your truck or anything worth and value. Normally a mother does not pick up the family and moved them into another city without having it all figured out.”

“She thought that we will live on the inheritance that I got from my aunt and uncle a couple years ago. I invested the money and earned pretty good money in the stock market. The guy that was helping me invest, told me to pull the money out. Something about the future the stock market isn't good.”

“Oh, I see now what is going on. You sound like a very smart young man that is taking care of his money. Kids your age normally get an inheritance and go on a shopping spree all over town.

This is what I'm going to do for you Joey. I'm going to bring you on board to work the video store with my son. You guys are going to have the same shifts, and therefore he will train you. You will start out on minimum wage and get raises every six months.

We already have a rule of the store that alcohol and tobacco cannot be sold at the video store. If a customer attempts to purchase either of those two items, you must turn them away because of your age, and you're not licensed.

Other than that, do you have any questions for me?”

“No ma'am, I do not. And thank you very much for giving me this chance. I will not disappoint you on your decision.”

She handed me a whole bunch of paperwork to fill out before I left her office. The minute I left she handed me my schedule for the week. I walked over to the video store to tell Caleb that I will be working with him starting tomorrow.

After giving him the news, I did my grocery shopping and headed home. When I walked in the door I found my sister in the living room watching TV. My mother was nowhere to be found in the house.

Since it's too late to cook, I ordered pizza for me and her. We stayed up watching movies until eleven or so. I called it a night because I needed to head to bed. Tomorrow will be my first day being part of the workforce.

(CALEB’S POINT OF VIEW)

I jumped out of bed an hour earlier than I normally do on Saturday. I want to spend the extra hour getting ready for work. Normally, I just throw on a T-shirt and jeans. But today, I want to look a lot better than that.

After taking a shower, I grabbed my 501’s that fit me perfectly. Then my Nike shoes and Nike socks and boxer briefs, I threw on top of my pants. The last thing I grabbed was my Albertson's polo shirt.

I got completely dressed, combed my hair and sprayed on some cologne before leaving my room. I drive into work on Saturday with my mom, and normally walk home after work, because she works longer hours than me.

We jumped into the car to head to work and my mom started teasing me. “Man-o-man, you smell good. What is going on with his cologne you're wearing today Caleb? Are you trying to impress somebody that I don't know about?”

I just looked at my mom and smiled. She hit it right on the button on the reason I am wearing cologne. One thing you will learn about my mom, you can not sneak anything past her. She has a way on finding out about everything I do. I don't know what it is. But she knows when I lie to her or try to hide anything from her.

“Wait a minute; you are wearing those pants and your new shoes. Is your new friend interested in you?”

I started turning red when my mom asked me that. When I figured out that I like guys, I tried to keep to myself. I didn't know how my parents would have taken it. All I knew is what I was feeling was wrong. Then my mom figured it out and supported me ever since. I don't know what I would have done if I lost my mother’s support.

“I really don't know if he's like that mom. I really do like him and hope that I have a chance with him. But there's something there. I cannot figure out about him. He is hiding something major, deep down inside.”

“Please do not get hurt Caleb. I cannot stand seeing you hurting. You are my son, and I will always want to protect you. If whatever is going on in this kid's life is too much for you walk away from it.”

We drove into the parking lot and already Joey is waiting. I just love that truck of his. Whoever gave him that as a gift, knew exactly what they were doing.

My mother and I got out of the car and headed up to the front doors. I noticed that Joey isn't moving in his truck. I walked up to the driver side and tapped on his window. He jumped up from his seat, all startled.

“Come on in and help me open up the video store. We have a lot of work to do before the video part opens.”

Joey climbed out of his truck and walked with me to the store. I couldn't help but steal glances of Joey. I wonder if he actually has to get up earlier in the morning to look this good. Or is it just natural for him every morning to look like this.

We walked to the video store after my mom unlocked it for us. I started showing Joey, everything in the store. I worked with Joey on the opening procedures and then how to run return movies through the computer.

“Basically, it's a database program. They either give us their membership card, phone number or driver's license in order to check out movies. But no matter what, they always have to show us their ID.”

“You got it! Man you are a fast learner. I work with you today, and depending how you take to everything. Tomorrow, you will have your own draw and be on your own.”

We really don't get busy the first couple hours when the store opens. That is the time I choose to normally do my homework. Instead I want to learn more about Joey. If he is willing to tell me stuff, I am willing to listen. I still want to find out if my assumptions are right about him being gay.

“You don't have the answer me Joey if you don't want to, but I was wondering something. I know you didn't answer the guys yesterday, when they ask you about the girls, but are there any girls you like?”

“To tell you the truth Caleb, I am really not looking. There is so much going on in my life right now. I don't want to bring in someone at this time. It will scare that person away before I even have a chance.”

“I can definitely understand that. If I didn't have my mom, I do not know where I would be at today. One thing is for sure I would be lost without her. I'm not a mama's boy don't get me wrong, but I lean on her lot. She is the only one that really knows me.”

“You know the funny thing Caleb, my mother was the same way. At least I thought she was until couple weeks ago. She was there always behind me one hundred percent, and then, she just changed without any warning. I lost a mother that I grown to depend on.”

“Wow, she must have done something really bad to make you think this way about her. I really don't think my mother will ever change. We are normal people, with normal lives and with nothing special.”

“You need to thank the man above every day for that. Everyone wishes to have money and to be rich. What they don't know is that money does change people a lot. That is what happened in my house.”

Joey sat there explaining everything from his dad to his uncle. How he landed up with his aunt and uncle and then they died and left him a lot of money. He went on to tell me about his long-term boyfriend. I couldn't believe everything those two went through in their relationship and end up like this.

“So, I did the worst’s thing in my life. The day before Thanksgiving, I broke it off with my boyfriend. I then looked back because I knew if I did. I couldn't leave him. Now I'm here trying to piece together my life again.”

Joey got up and was about to walk away, but then turned back around. “Oh yeah, I have to find a woman to have a baby with or two. That is the only way I can get my uncle and mother off my back for good.”

I know if I were looking at me when Joey said that. I would have seen my jaw hit the ground. What parents would make their kids to something, they are uncomfortable doing. They cannot change us no matter how much they try.

Several customers walked in, and we didn't have a chance to talk again. I really want to tell him about me. He actually told me the worst parts of his life without a second thought. Here I am not willing to do the same and share with him. The worst of my life, which is nothing compared to his life so far.

(FRAN’S POINT OF VIEW)

I didn't find my brother or mother, anywhere in the house. I grabbed a bowl of cereal before heading into the living room to watch TV. I couldn't help but think where my mom has been in the last couple days.

I know she visits my uncle every day since he got arrested. I also know she is fighting even more with my brother about that. She wants my brother to bail him out, and then let him stay in the house.

The last time we spoke. My mother told me that she wants me to move out with her. I told her that I will not move out with her. How does she think she is going to get an apartment or house and pay the bills? There is no way that Joey is going to give her the money to do that.

After that conversation, she left, and I haven't seen her since. I'm starting to think that she actually went through with her idea of moving out. Maybe that would be good for me and Joey right now.

The phone rang two times, and then nothing. I waited to see if the phone would ring again, and it did. I quickly answered it to find Marie on the other line.

“Hey Fran, I know this is not our normal time to talk. But I need to speak with you on something urgent. Can you speak right now or do you call me back?”

“No I can speak right now! Tell me, what is so urgent that you needed to speak with me off of schedule.”

“I think you guys have a problem up there. Your mother called Jacob's house. The other day, and spoke with Francisca. She forgot to clear your number from the caller ID and when my grandfather got home. He saw the number on the caller ID reading not only your number, but Joey's name as well.

My grandfather flipped out that Joey had called over here to speak with Jacob. Immediately, Francisca told my grandfather that was your mother calling her not Joey calling Jacob. But to make matters worse is why she was calling.”

“Please don't tell me that my mom called for money!”

“That is exactly why she called. She wanted Francisca to go to either my grandfather or Jacob for money. She promised to pay it back. The question was when she was going to pay it back and that wasn't clear, but it was clear that it had something to do about bail for your uncle.”

“She should never have called you guys on that. My mother has changed quite a bit in the last couple weeks. I cannot even explain the transformation of my mother. What I can say it isn't for the good, but for the bad.”

“Are you guys in money trouble or something? Joey should be pretty well off, because of what I understand he took all his money with him.”

“We are fine as far as money is concern. Joey just put his foot down and told my mother and uncle that he is no longer going to be pulling money from his inheritance. They need to get a job and start supporting the house.

That is what started everything here on Monday. Our uncle didn't take too well being told what to do from his nephew. I think he thought that he could get us up here and do what he wants with Joey's inheritance.”

“I am glad that Joey put his foot down on the money issues. He cannot afford to continue to spend his money in the way he's used to. He is no longer getting any kind of interests or dividends on his money. He needs to find someone to invest his money like my grandfather did for him.”

“Does Jacob know everything on what is going on over here?”

“No, my grandfather decided to keep Jacob in the dark about it. The only reason I know about this whole thing is because I was at that house when all this happened. We cannot afford to have anything else thrown into the mix of this already difficult mission. We want the same thing and that is these to get back together, out of love.”

“Good, Marie. Please keep it that way. I don't know if Joey could ever face Jacob again. If he knew that Jacob knew about what occurred here at the house on Monday. All men seem to have pride that they are unwilling to shed.”

“I agree with that, without question. It doesn't matter if they are straight, gay or just plain old crazy. They just will not shed their pride.”

We talked little bit more about what happened before hanging up. As far as getting these two back together, that hasn't changed much. By the sounds of what Marie is telling me, Jacob is still really hurting from the breakup.

After speaking with Marie, I spent the rest of the day in front of the TV. Joey walked in about thirty minutes, past seven. I looked at him in his Albertson's polo shirt and realized that he got a job at the store.

“Has mom been around at all the day Fran?”

“No, she has not been here at the house all day. I am starting to get worried about her. I really think she actually moved out.”

“There is no way she could move out. At least I don't think so. I did all the expense on moving us up here. Plus, there is no way she would leave all this furniture that she loves more than life itself.”

Joey walked over to our mother’s room. He knocked on the door and then went in when he didn't get an answer. I follow him in to find all of our mother’s clothes, jewelry and personal items gone.

Joey looked over at me with a stunned look in his face. He walked over to the phone. Pulling out his wallet and calling his bank. He pushed several buttons on the phone, and then wrote a couple things down before hanging up.

He pretty much ran to his room and pulled out of lock box. Opened the lockbox and pulled out several credit cards and his checkbook. He flipped it open, and it looked like he was comparing the information he got from the phone to his checkbook.

“Should I be afraid on what's going on Joey?”

Joey looked up at me and smiled. “No Fran, everything is okay. All of my bank cards, credit cards and account information are still here. Plus my balances match my ledgers here at the house. That means my money wasn’t touched.”

“Is there any way, that mom could go to the bank on Monday and pull out your money? I know that's a weird question, but mom isn't the same anymore. I'm afraid she's willing to do anything for Uncle Dominic.”

“Mom isn't on any of my accounts and since all my bank cards and credit cards are here. There is no way she can actually touch the money. I will make sure first thing Monday morning the bank knows that she has no say on my accounts.”

Joey didn't put back all his stuff into lock box. Instead, he put everything in his wallet before we walked out of his room. He cooked us dinner, and we ate it in front of the TV watching movies the rest of the night.

Joey went to bed before I did because he had to work in the morning. He actually told me about a guy he met in school, and now he's working with him. The way he was talking about him, I think Joey likes him. I really hope he doesn't fall in love with another guy, because all the work. I am doing with Jacob sister is all for nothing.

(HELEN’S POINT OF VIEW)

I kept an eye on my son, and the new employee. My son looks like a big tough guy, but he's just a big old teddy bear. In that big body of his lays a big heart. A heart that has gotten him into so much trouble I have lost count. Now, I do my best to watch over my big teddy bear of a son.

Everyone in the family took it pretty well when he and I told them about Caleb being gay. Even my husband didn't flinch, and accepted him. Ever since then, I feel a need to protect him even more than I have done in the past.

Now that he has fallen for Joey, it worries me. Joey comes with a lot of baggage for such a young kid to have already. I don't know if Caleb could handle it all. He will try to take care of Joey the best way he can.

Every so often, I walked over to check on the boys. I used the excuse that I was checking on the training of Joey. By the second time I checked in, I knew something had happened. The look on my son face told me everything. And what it's telling me now is that Caleb is worried about something.

It looks like Joey has caught on pretty fast, because Caleb isn't following him all over the video store. Normally when Caleb isn't comfortable with a new employee, he shadows him or her for the first couple days.

By seven fifteen, the boys had the video store cleaned up and ready to lock up for the night. I headed down and locked up the gates. Caleb told me that Joey is going to give him a ride home. Since our house is on the way to his.

I thanked Joey for dropping off my son at the house. He smiled and told it was nothing as they walked out the door. I could see why Caleb has fallen for this guy. From head to toe, I would have fallen for him, if I was still a teenager.

When I go home, I found Caleb in front of the TV. I walked in and sat down next to him. He looked over at me with the same worried look. He had on his face since this morning. I scooted over to my son, and looked him in the eyes.

“Something is bothering you and what ever it is. it is actually hurting you. Something that was told to you since this morning has been on your mind. Did you tell Joey about yourself and he got offended?”

“No mom, it's nothing like that at all. He actually told me that he is gay, and I never got a chance to tell him I am to. It is what he told me about himself that has me very worried about him.”

Caleb sat there and told me everything that Joey told him. I couldn't believe how a mother can turn on her own son like that. No matter what walk of life persons have they do not deserve that kind of treatment.

“I know I'm wasting my breath on telling you this Caleb, but I'm going to do it anyways. Do not get emotionally attached to Joey right now. Let him work through his problems before you step in and try to help him. I know you, and you are going to try everything you can to help Joey.

We are only getting his side of the story. I'm not trying to say he's lying to us, but most the time persons put themselves in the positive light. Without knowing the other side, we cannot take sides right now.”

“Mom, I know he's not lying to me. One thing I got from you is how to read people. And I read Joey as he was telling me about his past. None of it is a lie. I want to do what I can to help him through this time.”

“Okay, let's make a deal here tonight. If you see trouble that you cannot handle come and tell me. I don't want you out there alone and getting hurt. I can see why you like Joey, and I hope he turns out to be your life partner.

The other thing that worries me right now is the thing about him being forced to have kids. If he plans to go through with that, you need to be ok with it. There are many ways he can do it, but what ever way he decides to do it, you need to be fine with it if you guys become an item.”

“I will be fine with it because I know he isn’t in love with the girl that he chooses to have kids with. He is only having the kids for his family sake. I will be at his side the entire time and if he would let me. I will help him bring up his kids.”

We sat there talking for about another hour. It seems that Caleb has thought all this through. He promised me that if anything goes awry, he will come and get me. I really hope that doesn't happen, and he gets, the guy of his dreams.

I went to bed thinking how lucky Caleb will be if he could get Joey. Not because of the money Joey has. But for the love these two can build with each other. They would be a perfect couple. No one will ever bother them.

TO BE CONTINUED……………….

WRITER’S CORNER:

{Okay guys, we are now starting to get into this story, with its own plots and new characters. I introduced several new characters and new plots in this chapter. Joey is going to need his own identity before going back to Jacob in the college years.

When we first met Joey in his freshman year of high school, he was afraid of his own shadow. Through his relationship with Jacob, he has gotten stronger from what he was his freshman year. But still, he depended a lot on Jacob. Now he has to stand on his own two feet and make the hard decisions.

He made the right decision when he told his mother no on everything. Even after she threatened to take his sister away, he stood up to her. Joey is finally seeing how it is to be a man in charge of the household.

He is making friends at his new school, but will he join the football team? Don't forget he is very good at running back. The coach of this football team would regret it if he doesn’t let Joey on the football team for next year. Once again though, Joey hasn’t indicated that he wants to be on the football team.

Caleb looks like is going to become either a close friend to Joey or more. Caleb seems to be a whole lot like Jacob, and maybe that is why Joey is falling for him. Caleb, just like Jacob, has a huge heart and will do anything to help out persons that are struggling in their life at the time!

We met Caleb's mother, Helen in this chapter as well. She seems to be very understanding and supportive to her son. But we have seen this before in Joey's mother. You know me and I do not repeat plots from any of my stories. So more then likely, Helen is going to stay a good person.

Talk about mothers, let’s talk about Joey's. She snuck out in the middle of the night like a common thief in the night. She is getting way too used to abandoning people who care for her. Her kids didn't even know that she had moved out. I know this isn’t the last that we hear about her. She will be back in almost every chapter, giving Joey problems.

Let's not forget about the uncle. He might be locked up now, but do not be mistaken, that he's gone from the story. He will be back and when he returns, I believe he will be with Beth and causing trouble along with her.

Fran and Marie are keeping in touch about everything. Can you believe that Beth actually called the family she screwed over for money? Then Francisca forgot to erase the caller ID. I would not have liked to be in the house when Grandpa Al saw the number on the caller ID.

So many open plots are ready opening and more develop in the future chapters--from Joey's new friends all the way to Joey having to find a girl to have kids with! We need to see where these plots will take us. You cannot miss out on any future chapters.

Just like my other three stories, you need to keep up with all of them. All these stories are intertwined into each other. Something might occur in this story, but continued in my other three stories. If you choose not to read any of them in just this one, you might get lost in a few of the plots.

There has been another change in the editor’s corner in this chapter. In chapter one I brought aboard Jeff, who is a writer himself, to edit this new serious. Some things have happened personally with him and he is unable to continue editing. I really hope everything turn out well for Jeff and he drops me an email very soon to let me know what is going on. He is a great friend, writer and editor.

Just like Jeff, I brought aboard Kent. He will pick up where Jeff had left off at. Both of them have been readers of mine since the very beginning and have dropped me an email every week. To let me know their thoughts on the stories I am writing. Kent just like Daddy Rick teaches our youth a trade. He is great guy and I am glad that he said yes to edit this serious for me.

As I said in chapter one, Daddy Rick is still my editor on Jacob Finding His Way, Shadow of My Father and Beneath the Mask. He edits three chapters a week for me. He has been with me for a while now and I am glad he stuck by me. My writing is ruff as it gets to the editors and they polish it up for you the readers. I will like to thank Daddy Rick, Jeff and now Kent on joining my journey to bring a story to life.

I do not want to say too much more and spoil the future chapters to come, so I won’t. I warn you though! Do not skip a chapter, or you will be lost. There is a so much to answer in the chapters to come. Keep reading the future chapters, and enjoy! Please email me and let me know how I am doing at jacobmillertex@aol.com, Thanks!}
EDITOR’S CORNER:

 

First-- I have been an avid reader of each of the other three stories from their beginnings. Second-- My entire life has been filled with people--helping them learn, grow, and cope. Thus this story with Joey as the prime character also provides us all with insights into people and their actions, motives, fears, joys, desires, etc. etc. We can all learn from and through the characters as we follow their lives. Third-- Our author posts new chapters on a very regular schedule so even those of us who are "chronologically gifted" like me do not forget key details, people, or events in between chapters.

Finally-- My key questions focus on Beth after this chapter. What has turned her into such a selfish person? Is her 'condition' fixed and permanent or can she be 'cured'?

Or does she have even more 'tricks up her sleeve'? (That is really a major? since in the south/southwest she would likely wear a sleeveless blouse much of the time!)

Please email your own ideas and reactions to our author. He will be sending them on to me so that we both are informed. I know that he 'listens' to those who write to him as an idea of mine has already found its way into one of the other stories! Best wishes!

--Kent D. (sw Ohio area)

Copyright © 2013 JacobMillerTex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I still cannot say that I am happy nor even remotely remorseful in what I said about Joey in my previous comment. Everyone deals with things in different ways. That I know all too well. People come into our lives for a reason. Some are like pillars and help support us openly or in their own subtle ways. Some are like a flash of light bringing a burst of happiness, light and enjoyment and then they are gone almost as fast. Some come in and do nothing but create havoc, destruction and devastation. Joey needs to learn what is important, what matters and what will last and decide what HE wants out of life. As much as he argues, fusses and fights about his mom and uncle not having any control over his life, money and the house he sure has let them make some extremely important decisions so far. Money is nice but cannot create nor sustain happiness. A house cannot grant health, love and happiness. When it boils down to it the only thing we really have control over is own lives, the decisions we make in life and the course for which our lives will sail. Every day is like a new blank page in this novel we call life. We are the authors that create and record those words onto the page. We are the authors of our own tale. Joey seems to be so mixed up that he is safeguarding the wrong aspects of his life. I'm glad he is stepping his foot down and protecting his money and taking charge of the house, but what about his life? You can loose money, loose a house...and yes even a life but only one of those losses pull completely you out of the picture. Come on Joey. Take control of the one thing that matters the most and take your life back before its too late!

Link to comment

Looks like joey is vetting a backbone but he better be careful cause I don't trust his mother or his uncle. To up and leave her daughter with no excuse isn't that against the law..abandonment or something. I hope Joey has a way to protect his money too.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..