Jump to content
    Krista
  • Author
  • 16,086 Words
  • 1,645 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Hidden in Cancun - 1. Story

Hidden in Cancun

By Krista

 

           

 

Scott watched as the plane started to land in the runway: the vacation of his life was just beginning, weeks of planning had led up to this summer. He was hoping to leave this place with the rest of his life ahead of him, with nothing to worry about and, more importantly, no reason to hide away.

 

“I can’t believe you surprised me with this romantic getaway!” Carrie exclaimed after she double checked her seatbelt to make sure it was securely fastened. This was the first time she had ever flown. Scott had surprised her with two tickets to Cancun and now that they were both out of college they had nothing holding them back.

 

“Oh, it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for a while,” Scott responded, taking her hand and holding it as they braced to land.

 

“You’re not doing this because your Mother pushed you to, are you?” She asked, her dark brown eyes darting back and forth rapidly as she studied him.

 

“No,” he answered smiling. “She may be my pushy mother, but she doesn’t know everything.” Scott’s mom introduced them before their sophomore year in college. She was a professor and Carrie was in her English class.

 

“Well she did know that I’m the keeper,” Carrie joked, as they stood and grabbed their carry on bags before filing off the plane. They walked through the tunnel to claim their other luggage before grabbing a taxi to their hotel. Most of the ride was spent looking over the sights; the town was small and conservative , full of churches, with the highlight being the university in the middle.

 

“I can’t believe we’re here,” Scott exclaimed as they exited the cab. Scott handed the driver the money after unloading their luggage.

 

“And how smooth it’s been, I expected a disaster,” Carrie responded, looping her arm with Scott’s as they entered their hotel room.

 

“Two beds,” Scott noted as they looked over the room. “I asked for one.”

 

“I spoke too soon,” she said. “It’s not that bad though, not anything to fuss about.”

 

“Well how about we get changed and check out the beach?” Scott asked and Carrie nodded as they both searched through their bags for their bathing suits. When they were changed they left the hotel and walked along the stone path leading to the beach front of the tiny resort. It was early in the day, but the resort they were staying at was already in full swing. The bars were open and the restaurants were setting up for the rush of people.

 

“This is so different from home,” Carrie said as they picked out a spot on the beach to set up the picnic she had planned for lunch.

 

“Everything will be different,” Scott responded as he helped her spread out the blanket. They both sat down and Carrie set their food out on the plastic plates for them to eat.

 

“We’re going to leave here a lot darker than we’ve ever been,” Carrie said. “It gets hot here fast.”

 

“Yeah,” Scott agreed as he looked out, scanning the beach that was fast becoming crowded. Seeing everyone doing different things on the beach made him wonder when the best time would be to ask the question he had been dreading. The thought of absolute rejection scared him. The thought of her accepting the question left him with mixed feelings.

 

When a small brown dog rushed into the middle of their tiny picnic chasing a Frisbee, then smelling the food, Scott turned and found the dog eating his sandwich.

 

“Oh, shit,” came the voice of the dog’s owner as Scott and Carrie scrambled to save the food the dog hadn’t found yet.

 

“Is he your dog?” Carrie asked as the man grabbed the dog.

 

“Of course it is Carrie,” Scott snapped, earning a smack on the arm by Carrie who looked annoyed.

 

“Yeah he’s my dog,”

 

“The dog did kind of ruin our picnic,” Scott said, crossing his arms not liking the interruption. The small vacation wasn’t going the way that he planned and it had to be to carry out his plan.

 

“Well dear, it’s not his fault,” Carrie said grabbing Scott’s hand gently pulling it until Scott uncrossed his arms. “Dogs will be dogs.”

 

“He’s in need of some obedience, he about got me pursed to death by an old lady,” the man said. “He lifted his leg on peed right on her.”

 

“Oh goodness,” Carrie gasped, laughing. Scott was the only one to notice that the dog was now lifting his leg on the large brown picnic basket in which Carrie had brought the food down.

 

“He’s up to no good again,” Scott grumbled, pointing.

 

“You little ass,” the man said. “Here my name is Ross and I’ll pay for anything you want me to.”

 

“Well no that’s not necessary,” Carrie replied. “You’re off the hook.” Carrie had always been nice, but Scott found himself wondering why Carrie wasn’t freaking out about her hard work being eaten and pissed on by a dog.

 

“Just keep him away from people and you won’t have any problem,” Scott said sharply. “Come on babe, let’s go find some lunch.”

 

“I’ll pay for it,” Ross said. “It’s the least I can do.”

 

“No, your dog has done enough,” Scott responded. “Just don’t worry about it.”

 

“Scott,” Carrie hissed, getting his attention, “stop being an asshole. It’s not like he meant for it to happen.”

 

“Fine,” Scott sighed. “That small Chinese place looks good.”

 

“You don’t want to eat there,” Ross said. “The place to eat is the Greek food stand on the other side of the beach.”

 

“But we like Chinese,” Scott responded, gently pulling Carrie to follow him.

 

“I think Ross should eat lunch with us,” Carrie suggested. “At the Greek place.”

 

“But we don’t know who he is,” Scott hissed as Ross watched the couple argue in front of him. The dog was lying down on the blanket chewing on the small green Frisbee that had caught the wind and caused the mess right in front of him. He was hoping they wouldn’t make such a fuss about this and he wanted to get things finished with them. The louder they got, the more attention they received and he found himself glancing around at the people, who were starting to take notice.

 

“I’m sorry to interrupt, but I’ll just go,” Ross said as he scratched the back of his head. “Come on mutt.”

 

“No,” Carrie said. “Scott and I have decided to eat lunch and invite you.”

 

“That’s alright,” Ross said. “Bye.”

 

“See what bad manners do?” Carrie asked, turning to Scott who was a few steps away from them wanting to get away from Ross. “Bad manners is not keeping a dog on a leash,” Scott answered, crossing his arms. “We had this perfect picnic lunch planned and now we’re going to have to spend money on expensive shit food here.” Ross picked up the Frisbee and sent it flying again so that he could leave them to follow the dog.

 

“I will not have you speaking like that to me,” Carrie snapped, glaring at Scott, who had never acted like this before. “You are going to go find Ross, apologize, then you’re going to invite him to lunch and meet me at the Greek place.

 

“No,” Scott said. “Just drop it and come on. Don’t let this ruin our whole trip.”

 

“Why not let it?” Carrie asked. “If you’re going to act this way the entire time I might as well let it.”

 

“Damn it,” Scott whined. “I’ll go get him if it will make you happy, because I love you.”

 

“Good,” she said. “Because I love you too and I would hate to make your life hell for the rest of this trip.”

 

“Yeah,” Scott responded meekly as he turned to start searching for Ross. He didn’t want to leave Carrie on the beach alone in a strange place, but he also wanted to get away from her as well. He didn’t understand why Carrie had pushed Ross into the mix suddenly and he hoped the little dog ran off, taking Ross with him. Returning after searching a little while - just long enough for her to calm down - would be the best idea.

 

When he saw Ross sitting on the beach with the little dog sitting beside him he turned his back on him. Ross had seen him, though, and stood, the little dog following him. He walked up to Scott and gently prodded his shoulder to get his attention. The sudden touch startled Scott and he turned around quickly to find Ross standing inches away from him.

 

“Let me guess,” Ross started and Scott noticed that the corner of Ross’s mouth was curling into a smile. “She told you to come find me.”

 

“Women!” Scott huffed crossing his arms. “Of course she did and I don’t know why.”

 

“Hey,” Ross said. “I’ll make you a deal.”

 

“Yeah?” Scott said not wanting to listen to what Ross had to say. He just wanted to end this, get back to the room, and let the vacation return to what he had hoped it would be.

 

“If you’ll pretend not to hate me, I’ll pretend that I’m actually happy to be spending lunch with the two of you. That way you may actually get out of Mexico with your balls attached.”

 

“Right,” Scott said trying not to laugh. “It’s a deal.”

 

“I thought so; balls… they’re important enough.” Ross replied. “I was honestly sorry about your ruined picnic until you started bitching, then I hoped a seagull would shit on your head.”

 

“Yeah,” Scott shrugged. “After this you do promise to leave us alone, right?”

 

“Back to that are we?” Ross responded, frowning slightly. “Well yeah, I will definitely leave the two of you alone.”

 

“Good,” Scott said. “This is an important vacation.”

 

“Oh? I live here.”

 

“How could you live in a place like this?” Scott asked as they made their way through the crowded beach with Ross leading the way.

           

“I have to,” Ross said. “So I make the best of it.”

 

“You found him,” Carrie said as she picked up the picnic basket, carefully keeping it away from her body. “Good.”

 

“If you say so,” Scott responded. He shrugged when Carrie gave him a stern look.

 

“Well now that you have me in the mood for Greek food Ross, how about you show us the way?” Carrie asked and Ross stepped in front of them.

 

“Well, right this way Madame,” Ross said waving his arm and bowing slightly as they all walked in the direction of the Greek food stand at the other side of the beach. Ross usually kept his distance while out doors, but he had grown bored of being alone and thought the couple looked innocent enough and lunch was always a short-lived part of the day.

 

“Where are you from Ross?” Carrie asked. “You have a slight southern accent.”

 

“Well, I’m from here,” Ross said, fidgeting slightly as they sat down at the bar.

 

“How could you live in a place like this?” Carrie asked. “All the noise, I mean, it’s good in short doses, but I like quiet.”

 

“Oh, I do too,” Ross said as Scott studied the two. Carrie had taken a seat in the middle and Scott had leaned forward so that he could pay attention to the conversation that had so far excluded him. \

 

“Then why here?” Carrie interrogated, smiling gently at Ross. She had always liked meeting new people and since Ross’s story, she thought, would be completely different from any of the others she would be told around their home, she wanted to know more about him.

 

“Does it matter?” Scott asked interrupting the conversation. He noticed that Ross had looked relieved after his intrusion.

 

“I just wanted to know,” Carrie answered defensively. “But the food smells good so how do we get some?”

 

“Well we wait,” Ross answered. “They only serve one dish for lunch so they don’t even ask they just bring it out and you pay.”

 

“How convenient,” she responded. “Ross, since you know so much about this place, I bet you could show us where to go tonight.”

 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea,” Ross said. “I wouldn’t want to intrude.”

 

“Exactly,” Scott said, but when he got the same stern look from Carrie he frowned. “I mean… we’re also intruding in his plans as well.”

 

“I guess so,” Carrie said her soft brown hair blowing in the breeze on the beach. The sun had intensified the normal coal colored hair into bright shades of red. It was something that Scott could appreciate about her completely.

 

“Here’s your food,” said a short woman with Greek features as she walked through two small swinging doors carrying three plates stacked full of food.

 

“You still know how to make a mouth water,” Ross smiled. “Thanks for making a man happy.”

 

“It looks delicious,” Carrie said. “Doesn’t it dear?”

 

“Yeah,” Scott replied as he looked over the large portions of food

           

“Don’t worry darlings, the water is bottled and shipped,” the woman said as she winked, returning to the back. The bar had began to fill with people now that the lunch time rush was well under way.

 

When they finished eating and had paid for their meals they all got up and walked away from the bar with their stomachs full and desiring a place to sit down and relax. The sun had lost some of its intensity now that the afternoon was well under way and in the distance the orange glow of early evening could be seen. It made the ocean even more beautiful as the trio walked until they found an empty spot on beach.

 

“Stay,” Carrie ordered gently when she noticed Ross preparing to leave.

 

“I should really feed the dog,” Ross said. “My friend would kill me he knew how neglectful I was.”

 

“I’m sure he had enough to eat of our lunch,” Carrie said. “No need to go rushing off now that Scott has found his manners.”

 

“Carrie,” Scott sighed, rolling his eyes. “Let the guy leave if he has somewhere else to be.”

 

“But I don’t,” Ross said as he sat down, taking Scott’s indirectness as an invitation.

 

“Good,” Carrie said. “Now about that invitation to be our tour guide tonight.”

 

“Well aren’t you two just the best of friends,” Scott remarked, shaking his head. “Carrie, what about some alone time?”

 

“We have a week and a half of that,” Carrie countered. “Ross, please show us at least one good spot to visit.”

 

“Well,” Ross responded. “I may live here, but I don’t get out much.”

 

“Why not?” Carrie asked and again Scott noticed how Ross tensed up slightly every time Carrie asked him a question. The questions, Scott thought, were easy enough to answer but for some reason Ross always hesitated, which he found suspicious.

 

“I’m just boring,” Ross answered, shrugging slightly.

 

“Where do you go out when you’re with your friends then?” Carrie asked “Come on, even in our lame town Scott and I have a hang out spot.”

 

“Well it’s more of a place people go to get drunk and other things parents wouldn’t approve of,” Scott said, earning a sharp elbow in his side when Carrie thought he had shared too much.

 

“So we’re regulars at the dam,” Carrie added, blushing slightly. “But we’ve never gone there to have sex like most people.”

 

“Carrie,” Scott hissed. Now it was his turn to feel embarrassed. He noticed Ross smirk, looking amused as he watched them both taking turns sharing too much for one day. It only had put more pressure on Ross to come up with some plan for tonight. It didn’t look like he would be able to get out of there without telling Carrie about some fun to be had. Fun he had yet to experience in the two years he had been here. The friends he didn’t have, as he was too scared to make any, because then, he’d have to tell the truth. He did have to live here because this place he had luckily made his home. He wouldn’t jeopardize that on a couple of love-struck tourists, but he didn’t have a lie prepared when asked a question like the one Carrie had asked him. When the attention turned to him again he felt himself becoming nervous.

 

“There is tons of stuff on the beach this time of year, mostly,” Ross answered, swallowing hard. “Two dance clubs that I’ve been to once or twice, but they’re not impressive.”

 

“They would be to us,” Carrie replied, genuinely interested, which bothered Scott.. Scott was normally at ease around strangers, but this trip wasn’t about befriending a stranger who had, to Scott, strange anxieties at times. The strange place also had him on edge and sometimes he would scan the surrounding for anyone threatening, but now that Ross was here, the threat was right in front of him. He was beginning to look and see his whole plan unraveling with each word that came out of Ross’s mouth.

 

“I don’t dance,” Scott said. “So what’s usually going on here at the beach?”

 

“Well if you’re into the frat boy entertainment,” Ross said, crossing his legs Indian style, “there are a number of things.”

 

“We’re too old for that. We’re fresh out of college.”

 

“Yeah, not for me either,” Ross agreed. “But there is a bon fire tonight, a concert with mostly undiscovered bands; it’s the summer kick-off thing the resort has.”

 

“Sounds like our plan,” Carrie said, looking over to Scott for confirmation. The plan sounded like the thing to do on their first night since it looked like it was going to be shared with Ross. The more romantic things Scott had planned could happen later when they were alone.

 

“Well you don’t need a tour guide for that,” Ross said. “It’s right here on the beach.”

 

“You’re still invited,” Carrie responded with a smile. “So we’re going to leave and get ready.”

 

“Ok,” Ross said as Scott and Carrie stood and dusted off their shorts. He watched them walk back in the direction of their hotel. He latched the dog to the leash he had in his back pocket and gave the little brown dog a pat between the ears. “Want to go home?” When the dog looked up and cocked his head Ross stood and walked toward his apartment. Looking around to make sure he wasn’t being followed, he walked up to the sun-faded pink door of his building. The numbers had been ripped off before he moved in. It was the only thing he could afford after coming to Cancun, as everything there was pricey and the city was a hot spot for business. He looked around at his bare walls; he heard the same loud, thumping music over head that he had trouble drowning out at night. He didn’t know who the noise belonged to because he had never gone to investigate. Keeping a low profile always meant giving in to small things like that. Making an enemy out of a neighbor wasn’t something he could afford while staying here.

 

Walking into the kitchen, he sat down at the kitchen table and unhooked the dog, who jumped into his lap and licked his face. He smiled and gently placed the small dog back on the ground. He then reached up, opening the small cupboard, and felt around for the folded up picture he looked at when he felt alone. Looking at the small picture he smiled as he stood between his parents with his younger brother posing right in front of him. His hands were on his brother’s shoulders and they had all looked happy for the picture, even if it was a stressful, scary time for them. It was the day he left and a stranger had taken the picture. He had had to leave a second later and he could still remember his younger brother running behind the bus that took him away. Ross looked up at the ceiling and wondered what he looked like now. How his mom and dad were dealing with the news, he knew, that had already been told to them. He couldn’t reach out to them, even if he wanted to. Sometimes he felt himself reaching for the phone that never rang, stopping short when he realized what he had done to get into this mess. It was still worth it to hide - even if that meant he couldn’t go back to happier places.

 

“Tuck, are you hungry?” Ross asked as he reached up and carefully placed the picture back into the cupboard. He closed the cupboard door and walked over to the dog food and poured Tuck some food and made sure he had water before walking into the small bathroom to take a shower. He didn’t want to be alone right then and thought that Carrie and Scott would be a good distraction from this place. It would be the first time he had gone out at night for a long while and he felt he needed to do it now.

 

When he stripped naked he looked over his tanned form. The short time he had spent here had darkened his features. There was a tattoo – a paw print – on his chest, but he regretted it now. It gave him away to anyone who knew him, and the people hunting him certainly knew about it. His hair had also grown out and was starting to look shaggy and longer than it had ever been. He hadn’t found anyone he trusted enough to keep it the way he liked, but he was getting used to the longer, dark brown hair. His green eyes that matched his whole family always made him look melancholy, even when he was smiling. It was something he didn’t like when he was back home, but now it was something he cherished.

 

Letting out a long sigh Ross stepped into the shower and turned on the water. It never got completely warm and sometimes it would be ice cold if multiple people had taken showers before him. When the frigid water hit his body he shrieked and jumped around the spray of the water to grab his shampoo. He quickly leaned into the spray letting small curses escape his mouth with his eyes clenched shut. He backed away to lather his hair with shampoo and only returned to the spray when he rinsed. He quickly washed his body with soap before getting out of the shower. He grabbed a towel with his shivering hands and wrapped it around his body. With his teeth clenched to keep from chattering, he walked into his small, dark bedroom. He got dressed quickly to warm his body and he dried his hair into the messy, shaggy look that he liked best. He grabbed his flip flops on the way out the door and made sure the door was securely locked. With a final look over his apartment to make sure he was still alone, he walked back to the spot where he had last seen Carrie and Scott.

 

“There he is,” Carrie said as she spotted Ross walking to them. “And you said he bailed on us.”

 

“No, I said I wished he had,” Scott retorted, stepping past Carrie to meet Ross alone. “Ross, man, I thought we had a deal.”

 

“I couldn’t break the little lady’s heart,” Ross responded, smirking. “And make you happy.”

 

“Why do you want to tag along?” Scott questioned then looked over his shoulder to make sure Carrie was still too far away to hear them.

 

“I was drafted to be your tour guide.” Ross stepped around Scott and walked to where Carrie was standing. When Carrie looped her arm with Ross’s, Scott stiffened and followed closely behind them, not making a sound as he listened to Carrie tell Ross about home. He did notice though that Ross didn’t welcome the touch of Carrie and thought he saw Ross try to gently dislodge his arm, but he gave up when she went into detail about her childhood. She had always made her stories seem more interesting than what they really were. It was something Scott had grown fond of, when she could tell about her first birthday and make it sound like an epic fantasy.

 

“Why are you walking behind us Scott?” Carrie asked turning around to glance at Scott between stories.

 

“I didn’t want to interrupt the date,” Scott answered, crossing his arms and stepping up to walk on the other side of Carrie.

 

“So you’re jealous?” Carrie asked. “What has gotten into you?”

 

“It’s probably just the sun,” Ross answered, looking over Carrie’s head to see Scott looking at him. “It can irritate people into having bad vacations if they’re not careful.”

 

“Really?” Carrie asked, not getting the hint that Scott understood. Ross smiled and nodded weakly then started looking around for the bonfire.

 

“Right over here,” Ross said as they walked away from all the tourist spots, vending machines and bars. Some other people had gathered around, but it wasn’t congested on the beach.

 

“Where is everyone?” Scott asked, noticing the small gathering.

 

“At the frat boy activities,” Ross replied. “It makes the bonfire more appealing, the smaller crowds.” They stood when the first band started to play and when the band finished with the first song the bonfire was lit. The gasoline smell was intense and it didn’t take long for the entire pile of wood to catch fire. The band started playing again and most of the younger people in the crowd started dancing and and giving the band their full attention.

 

“This is exciting,” Carrie said, trying to be heard over the loud music, “but can’t we go somewhere else so we can talk?”

 

“I thought this is what you wanted?” Scott asked as Ross lead them down the beach. It was just getting dark enough to appreciate the brightness of the fire, but when they walked around some large rocks to where the music wasn’t as intense they were shadowed in a blue twilight. The ocean was black and roughly pounding the beach in front of them; they were just out of the way of the water and when Carrie sat down, the other two sat down on either side of her.

 

“This is actually my spot on the beach,” Ross said. “I come here a lot.”

 

“Really?” Carrie asked as she studied the place better. “It is peaceful.”

 

“No one bothers you here either,” Ross said, “and I’ve only walked in on one make out session the whole time I’ve been here.” Scott looked at Carrie when she laughed - he had stifled the urge to laugh himself. He didn’t want to enjoy Ross’s company, but Ross didn’t seem like that bad of a person to get to know.

 

“What’s your family like Ross?” Carrie asked after she stopped laughing. “I still can’t get over your southern accent.”

 

“I live here alone,” Ross said. “No family.”

 

“You don’t have anyone living?” Scott asked, feeling sorry for Ross being alone in a place like this. It would be a difficult thing to do every day.

 

“No, I have family,” Ross answered, frowning. “Just not here.”

 

“Where do they live then?” Carrie asked and Ross let out a sigh that Carrie and Scott found out of place. “Sorry, I’m asking too many questions.”

 

“Yeah,” Ross responded. “I haven’t seen my family in years.”

 

“That’s the advantage of small towns, you get smothered by them,” Carrie said, patting Ross on the shoulder.

 

“You miss your family then?” Scott asked. “I mean, you got all tense when we asked about them.”

 

“I do. Where are you two from again?”

 

“Texas,” Scott answered, studying Ross. “A little town in Texas, that has nothing but a diner and a university, like Carrie told.”

 

“But you two didn’t meet until college?” Ross queried, attempting to get the questioning away from him.

 

“No, we didn’t,” Carrie said,. “I had just moved there to attend college and fell in love with the place.”

 

“Yeah, Carrie just moved in with me after college,” Scott added, looking over at Carrie and offering her a smile.

 

“Well now you know where to come to be romantic,” Ross said as he stood. “I’ll promise to let you use my spot and not come around for the rest of the week.”

 

“Where are you running off to?” Carrie asked standing as well.

 

“I’m getting hungry, it’s been awhile since lunch.”

 

“We’ll come too,” Carrie announced. Ross gave a slight nod as he turned, once again being their guide. The place where he usually ate at night was a small bar and grill that served a variety of food. Since it would be slow with all the nighttime activities just beginning, he knew it would be a quiet place to get a quick meal.

 

“I’m sorry,” Scott said. “If we’re bothering you.”

 

“No, the company is nice. Even if the two of you are nosey.”

 

“We are not,” Carrie argued, causing Ross to laugh. She smacked him with the back of her hand playfully across his stomach. It caused Ross to jump before they entered the bar and grill. There were a few people there so he led them to the spot he usually occupied in the back. The staff never worked on the same night since they were there for the summer and in need of a job to help pay for their night life at the resort.. The chefs on staff never came out from the kitchen so he knew no one would notice that he was there often.

 

“Want to go order?” Ross asked. “They’ll bring the food back here when it’s done.”

 

“Yeah, you and Scott go,” Carrie answered. “Scott, I’ll have the low fat barbecue chicken and steamed vegetables and a strawberry wine cooler.”

 

“Right,” Scott said as Ross and he stood, leaving her at the back table. After ordering, they left the bar and went back to the table where they had left Carrie sitting. When she wasn’t there a moment of fear raced through Scott as he quickly glanced around the restaurant.

 

“She’s in the bathroom,” Ross said as he held up a napkin with a smeared lipstick note.

 

“She knows how to scare the hell out of me,” Scott said as he sat down at the table, wanting to stay quiet until Carrie returned. Through all this he had never had a long period of time alone with Ross and wanted Carrie to do most of the talking now that she always wanted him to tag along.

 

“What did you major in?” Ross asked, leaning forward and resting his elbows on the table. Scott thought Ross looked sad when he studied him sitting there across from him at the table.

 

“I majored in architecture,” Scott answered. “My dad wanted me to and it’s the only thing that interested me anyway.”

 

“Oh. Why did you bring Carrie to Cancun?”

 

“A vacation,” Scott answered in a low voice. Ross thought he sounded almost ashamed to answer the question and wanted to find out the reasons for that, but Carrie returned and scooted into the booth where they were sitting. The food arrived shortly afterwards and the group started eating.

 

“You should come back with us and watch a movie or something,” Carrie suggested. “The night is young and all.”

 

“I have to work in the morning,” Ross answered smiling.

 

“So what, come on, free entertainment,” Carrie pushed, smiling gently. Ross held back the urge to accept the invitation as he had been with them too much already, but the company they provided was different and relaxing.

 

“Carrie you can’t just keep inviting someone,” Scott said. “Some people don’t like saying no, even when they know they should.”

 

“Yeah, I better just go home after we’re done here,” Ross said as he lifted his glass to take a drink of his beer.

 

“But the invitation is open if you change your mind,” Carrie said. “You seemed so bored when we met you.”

 

“How can a person be bored in Cancun?” Ross asked, forcing a smile.

 

“Someone that has been here too long,” Carrie answered reaching across the table to pat Ross’s hand. Ross watched then glanced in Scott’s direction, he noticed that Scott was staring at him and realized he wasn’t going to leave the restaurant and go home. He would be following Carrie and Scott back to their room and watch a movie that Carrie picked out, something chick that would be boring to Ross. Nevertheless, he was already looking forward to it as he turned back to his meal, to finish eating so they could leave.

 

“Where are y’all staying?” Ross asked looking over his shoulder as they were walked towards the resort’s hotels. It was where the most people were located and it made him paranoid. It was different than on the beach, where fun, and drinking made him fade into the environment as just another college kid on vacation. Now though, he felt vulnerable and watched. Ross was thankful though, that it was later in the night and not a lot of people were around the pathways, and most of those that were, were tourists gearing up for the late night partying.

 

“Just through here,” Carrie answered, “ on the other side of this little park.”

 

“Oh,” Ross responded, glancing tentatively over his shoulder once more. Scott had seen him look around a few times and started to worry about Ross. He found himself looking around as well to see if they were about to be mugged, but when they reached the hotel and went up the stairs to the room Scott shook off the thought. Carrie stepped into the room first moving the unpacked luggage off to one side of the room to make more space.

 

“They messed up our room,” Carrie explained. “Two beds and all.”

 

“They’re always making mistakes like that,” Ross replied, shrugging as he walked further into the room.

 

“What movie do you want to watch Carrie?” Scott asked as he looked through the food they had for a bag of popcorn.

 

“Oh, I don’t know,” Carrie answered as she started flipping through the pay per view movie list. “Nothing bloody or scary.”

 

“So that eliminates anything I’d want to watch,” Scott responded, walking over to the microwave to prepare the popcorn.

 

“Well Ross should choose then,” Carrie said handing the remote to Ross who hesitantly took the remote and started looking for a movie to choose from. He felt torn between choices, not knowing which one he wanted to make happy. When he finally landed on a movie he thought Carrie would like to see he purchased it and handed it back to her.

 

“Sorry if you don’t like it,” Ross said as he sat down on the second bed. Scott poured the popcorn into one large bowl and placed it on the table between the two beds. Carrie reached across Scott and switched off the nightstand lamp and they settled down to watch the movie.

 

“A chick flick, Ross?” Scott asked, glancing over to look at him.

 

“You gotta make the ladies happy.”

 

“You got that right,” Carrie added, laughing slightly. She leaned against Scott with her head resting on his shoulder, snuggled close to him.

 

As the movie played Scott felt Carrie relax against him more and when he glanced over his shoulder he saw that she had fallen asleep. When she started snoring slightly Ross looked over and shook his head smiling. Scott didn’t want to be the only person in the room awake with Ross, as he would have to be the one to lead any conversations Ross wanted to have and that made him nervous. He turned back to the movie noticing that it was almost over and when he reached for the bowl of popcorn he felt two warm fingers graze his skin. He jerked back and looked across the room to Ross who was still digging into the bowl of popcorn.

 

“Sorry,” Ross apologized in a soft voice. “I guess I’m hoggin’ the popcorn.”

 

“It’s alright,” Scott responded. He felt his arm falling asleep so he gently scooted down into the bed where both Carrie and him were lying down, then he gently slid out of the bed. He watched as Carrie rolled over, turning her back to him, her breathing still even. He wanted the shifting around to wake her, but he realized that she was out for the rest of the night.

 

When the movie was over Ross stood and stretched. He had taken off his shoes before he got into the unoccupied bed and when he reached down to absently scratch his stomach he noticed Scott watching him.

 

“I better be getting back home,” Ross responded bending down to grab his shoes.

 

“I have a rental car here, do you want me to drive you home? It’s dark out?” Scott asked. “You don’t have to rush off either.”

 

“No,” Ross answered, not wanting Scott to see his apartment building. He was used to walking back home in the dark. He knew he had to be careful not to walk into any trouble here, but he knew how to handle it if he did.

 

“Are you sure?” Scott asked, not really wanting to take Ross home, but knowing that if he didn’t at least make the effort to ask he’d feel bad. He was raised to be a good guy, and Carrie reminded him of that when he was acting stupidly. Scott was still nervous to be in the same room with Ross when Carrie was asleep, but the ride over would be a short thing; he could keep silent with the radio on to distract them both from any kind of conversations.

 

“Do you want to take me home?” Ross asked as he sat down to slip on his shoes. When Scott didn’t answer him he looked up at him questioningly.

 

“No,” Scott answered finally. Ross noticed that he looked tense.

 

“I didn’t want you to,” Ross responded, “so you’re off the hook this time, I’ll tell Carrie that you asked, if she asks.”

 

“Good,” Scott said, “as I’d be in deep shit if she thought I kicked you out of the room after she fell asleep.”

 

“Well I better be getting back,” Ross said as he walked to the door.

 

“Hey, wait, do you have an address you could give me in case Carrie wants to see what you’re up to?”

 

“I’ll find you,” Ross replied as he smiled weakly and started out the door.

 

“Do you want to stay?” Scott asked in a rushed voice. He took a nervous step towards Ross.

 

“No,” Ross answered as he noticed the tension in the room now. He wanted out of there to be on his way back home.

 

“Ok, well, goodnight.” Ross walked out the door, letting it slowly close behind him. Scott ran his hands through his short hair then stared at the door for a few seconds before walking over to it and opening it slightly to look outside. He had felt drawn to Ross and wanted to know why he was keeping up a mysterious air around him. Scott didn’t think he was dangerous, but not knowing what Ross was all about was getting to him.

 

When he didn’t see Ross standing on the steps he looked out across the road and saw him walking. He let the door close then walked over to the end table to leave a message for Carrie, letting her know that he went out to look around and not to worry. He grabbed his flip flops and slid them on to his feet and walked out the door and down the stairs, trying to remember which direction Ross had been traveling. He wanted to know what Ross was all about since Carrie had forced his friendship onto him.

 

The night wasn’t stirring now, with the parties winding to a stop. A slight ocean breeze sent a cool shiver across Scott’s body. He was scared to be out here in a strange place and thought he was crazy to track down Ross and spy on him. He was looking for some sort of sign that Ross was a dangerous person to get to know or the honest person that Scott himself wanted to see. There was also an unmistakable stirring in his chest whenever Ross caught him looking and he couldn’t escape the feeling still tingling on his fingers when they touched. It was something Scott knew he should be willing out of his mind, but the atmosphere around him added to the magnitude of those sensations. When he caught a glimpse of Ross walking down the sidewalk just across a dimly lit road he slowed his pace and hoped that Ross wouldn’t look over his shoulder to see him. When Scott came up to where a car was parked on the side of the road he stopped and waited for Ross to turn the corner, where he would be hidden from his view. When he did, Scott took off in an awkward sprint in his flip flops and only stopped when he came to rest at the edge of a large, rough-looking building. He then realized that he was in a neighborhood that looked unwelcoming. Fears started running through his mind then, replacing the need to know who Ross was. When he turned to glance over his shoulder, he knew he was a long distance away from the hotel now and was too scared to walk back alone. He had been too wrapped up in his thoughts to stop. Now though, his thoughts kept him planted, too scared to move. Ross was still in sight and when he came to rest at the side entrance to a large run-down apartment building, Scott watched as he looked around before opening the door and walking in.

 

Scott knew he was only a few yards away from his original plan[reword] and when something rattled the metal trash cans directly behind him he blindly took off, running in the direction of the apartment Ross lived in. When he looked back and saw a large stray dog peeking around the trashcan, he tried to slow his staggered breathing to normal. Examining the door right in front of him, he noticed that the numbers were missing. They left only impressions in the door and the door itself was faded and looked neglected. The steps leading to the door were cracked and chipped in places. The bushes had been taken over by weeds and had died, leaving nothing but leafless skeletons peaking through the yellow straw like plants. The lights flickered overhead and the smell of trash filled his nostrils. It wasn’t the beauty of the beach scene that he had in mind.

 

He turned back to the door and looked at the small brass handle that would open the door. He listened for any sounds behind the thick door and when he couldn’t hear anything he placed his hand on it and turned the handle slowly. When the door glided open to an empty, dimly lit, living room he let out the breath he had been holding. Scott looked over and saw the shadow of a small dog wagging its tail and the shadow of a man dancing against a dirty white wall. The house smelled of air fresheners and bleach when Scott entered the house. He knew he had to make his presence known and not be a surprise standing in his living room so he slowly walked across the living room and peered into the kitchen. He watched as the dog noticed him and walked happily over. He looked up to find Ross looking confused at the sight of him standing at the edge of his carpeted living room.

 

“So you followed me,” Ross whispered from the other side of the kitchen.

 

“I’m sorry,” Scott responded weakly. “I had to know if you were some sort of trouble or…”

 

“No you didn’t,” Ross answered. “You knew I was dangerous the first time you looked at me.”

 

“I don’t think you’re out to do us any harm,” Scott answered. “And I know you would never try to steal Carrie away from me.”

 

“Then why not get to know me the conventional way?” Ross asked, taking a few steps forward, closing the gap between them.

 

“What is the conventional way?” Scott asked, feeling his mouth becoming dry and his palms beginning to sweat.

 

“By asking,” Ross answered, smiling gently. He walked past Scott thinking he was about to tell Scott everything he had kept to himself for such a long time.

 

“You didn’t want to talk about your family,” Scott said, following Ross to the couch and taking a seat on the opposite end as he studied Ross intensely.

 

“For some people family is a painful thing to talk about, and I don’t know if I can trust you.”

 

“You can.” Scott said impatiently. He wanted to know this story.

 

“Well ok,” Ross started. He leaned back on the couch and looked straight ahead to the front door that was painted bright red on the inside of the house, where it was shielded from the sun. “Wait a second.”

 

“Where are you going?” Scott asked as he watched Ross stand and walk past him into the kitchen again.

 

“I’ll just show you them so that you will picture them better,” Ross sighed This would be the first time in a long time that someone else would see the time-worn picture he kept safe.

 

When Ross returned he sat down on the couch and looked over the picture before tentatively reaching out for Scott to accept it and see his family. He watched, ready to comment when Scott turned and looked over it.

 

“How old is this picture?” Scott asked noticing how nice and close the family seemed. Scott realized after looking at it that this was going to be a difficult story to listen to.

 

“About five years old,” Ross answered taking the picture back and placing it on the coffee table. Scott wanted to ask the question that was on the tip of his tongue, but he kept quiet. The question would most likely be answered and he would know.

 

“Oh,” Scott answered. “It’s a nice picture.”

 

“It was taken the day I left for the army. I was from a small, poor town in Texas and I wanted to make something of myself,” Ross said leaning back again and looking ahead once more to the door as he pictured images and thoughts that he had blocked out and tried to forget. “The army was something I enjoyed, but I always had to hide something unwelcome. It was something I kept from my family too and I wanted to tell them and I didn’t want to hide away, not letting them know. But one night, I was caught and someone knew about me.”

 

When Ross stopped his story Scott reached over and put his hand on his shoulder feeling bad about coming over here and letting Ross tell him this. He found himself not wanting to know the rest, because the story – from the beginning – was all too close to his own haunting thoughts. He too had something to hide and he too was finding it hard to keep a secret. To know that Ross had been unsuccessful with whatever he was hiding made him feel flushed.

 

“If you don’t want to go on, it’s ok,” Scott whispered, squeezing Ross’s shoulder.

 

“I killed the guy that caught me,” Ross revealed after silence fell on the room. “He attacked me and I knocked him out of the window. He was my best friend before he found out about my secret.”

 

“Well that’s self-defense,” Scott reasoned. “You said he attacked you.”

 

“I ran away,” Ross continued, ignoring Scott. He knew it was self-defense. “I wouldn’t be able to explain what happened without telling them all and then nothing else would matter. I would’ve still been the enemy.”

 

“So you’ve been hiding away here since?” Scott asked. “Away from your family.”

 

“My family had to learn that their son is a murderer from the news,” Ross answered. “I have wronged them all with this mess I’m in. They don’t even know where I am and I can’t talk to them.”

 

Scott moved next to Ross on the couch when he broke down crying, and Scott welcomed Ross’s touch as he leaned to rest his head on his chest. Scott felt the warm tears soak a small spot on his shirt. He felt Ross’s hands wrap around his waist, grabbing hold of him with more force. They stayed like that until Ross stopped crying; Scott’s back muscles ached from being strained to hold up the extra weight and when Ross finally released his grip, they separated.

 

“Are you going to be ok?” Scott asked, thinking the question sounded out of place. He knew Ross hadn’t been ok for a while now and wouldn’t be again.

 

“I’m alive,” Ross answered, offering a forced smile.

 

“What is the secret?” Scott asked carefully. He didn’t want to upset Ross any further than he already was.

 

“Promise not to act differently when you find out what it is?” Ross asked, staring hard at Scott. Not wanting to despise himself for having this secret and the trouble it had caused. He wanted to find one person now that at least understood him, and not hate him for it.

 

“I can’t promise you that,” Scott answered, frowning. “But I understand hiding with secrets.”

 

“Oh,” Ross said. “Why are you really here?”

 

“What do you mean?” Scott asked feeling nervous. “I thought I already told you.”

 

“I meant, why are you in Cancun?” Ross asked, noticing how tense Scott had become.

 

“To ask Carrie to marry me,” Scott replied, trying to sound confident, but when his voice sounded forced he looked away.

 

“Not sure of her answer or something? I think she likes you enough to marry you.”

 

“I’m afraid of her answer, but not for the reason you think,” Scott responded wiping his hands on his shorts, again feeling flushed.

 

“What’s the reason then?” Ross asked, leaning against the back of the couch facing Scott and resting his head on his arm.

 

“I don’t want to talk about that,” Scott answered. “I should be going.”

 

“Yeah, probably, it’s getting late,” Ross said as they both stood and Scott walked towards the door with Ross following close behind him. “I’ll walk you back.”

 

“I think I can make it back alone,” Scott responded opening the door. When Ross reached around him and closed the door Scott turned his head ready ask what Ross was doing, but when their bodies slammed together Scott grunted and felt Ross’s lips against his own.

 

“I’ve seen the way you look at me,” Ross whispered after he broke the kiss. Scott didn’t know how to respond, he had been caught in his lustful stares and the growing tight feeling he felt in his shorts could be felt easily by Ross as well. He was caught, but he didn’t care.

 

“You are easy on the eyes,” Scott whispered offering Ross a nervous smile. “So your secret is that you’re gay?”

 

“Yeah,” Ross answered, laughing slightly, leaning forward and opening his mouth and letting his tongue explore the nape of Scott’s neck. Scott leaned back, his hand firmly grabbing the brass door handle.

 

“I came here to hide myself from the world,” Scott said through clenched teeth. He didn’t want to leave the apartment, but he knew he had to. But when his hand refused to turn the handle he finally let go of it and grabbed Ross’ss shoulders. The pair turned roughly, changing positions as Scott took control and began to kiss Ross roughly on the chin before moving lower. Ross raised his hands into the air when Scott started tugging on his shirt and when it was up over his head, Ross pushed Scott back and grabbed Scott’s shirt, pulling it over hid head. Ross led the way to the bedroom.

 

The bedroom was small, the bed taking up most of the room and being the focal point. They both slowly undressed then Ross took control and slid his hand down Scott’s stomach, taking hold of Scott. The touch caused a low grunt to escape his lips and when Ross lowered himself on the bed Scott closed his eyes reveling in the new sensations coursing through his body. He was unsure about the experience, but was willing to overcome his reservations. The sensation didn’t last long as Ross pulled back, frustrating Scott as he reached past Scott to his nightstand drawer and grabbed a condom. Scott heard the wrapper open and felt his heart jump.

 

“Want to go further?” Ross asked as he leaned forward and kissed him on the chin waiting for the answer.

 

“Yeah,” Scott answered. Then he felt Ross apply the condom and heard the cap of a bottle snap open. A short jolt of cool liquid dripped on his inner thighs before Ross once again wrapped his hand around his hardness preparing them both for the next step. Ross then stood on the bed holding himself up by grabbing hold of the headboard before he lowered himself onto Scott letting a long sigh break the silence in the room. They both worked together to achieve the desired effect. When they both finished they fell into a calm peaceful silence for a few minutes afterwards.

 

“You can have the first shower,” Ross said breaking the silence. “There may be hot water for you.”

 

“Ok,” Scott answered as he stood and walked into the bathroom. He disposed of the condom and stepped into the shower. The water didn’t get warm so he wasted no time in the shower as he washed the sweat from his body. He would worry about the repercussions of this act, but right now he felt completed by it and wanted it to last a little longer. When he got out and dried off he left the bathroom for Ross to take his turn. He didn’t wait for Ross to finish. He wrote a small note then walked out the door no longer scared of the night as dawn had broken through and lit the neighborhood.

 

On the way back to the hotel he replayed excuses for his absence to Carrie. None of them sounded like a believable lie to him. He was empowered to tell the truth, but the timing surrounding the trip would be the worst time. Cancun was a place to lose yourself and returning to Texas would mean returning to normalcy. Scott slowly walked up the stairs leading to his room. He felt exposed and made sure his clothes weren’t wrinkled by smoothing his shirt. Stepping through the door Scott met Carrie sitting on the bed watching television. The bed hadn’t been made yet, but he realized that she had already showered and looked ready to start the day.

 

“I got your note,” Carrie said, “but I thought you’d be in before dawn.”

 

“I’m sorry, I went to visit Ross,” Scott responded, his voice higher than usual. He knew he’d have to calm down before she suspected a lie. She knew him better than most people did and he knew she would catch him if he couldn’t pull things together.

 

“So I guess you want to go to sleep then,” Carrie said, crossing her arms. “Go on to bed.”

           

“I’m fine, we can go,” Scott replied. “Just let me get changed.”

 

“Let’s not look up Ross today, we need a day to ourselves,” Carrie stated, her voice falling flat. When Scott turned to look at her she offered him a smile so he grabbed his bag and fumbled through it until he found everything he needed for the day.

 

“We do need some time alone,” Scott agreed as he stripped naked in front of Carrie. It was something he rarely did and each time he felt uncomfortable. “Why the change though?”

 

“What change?” Carrie asked, standing up and checking her hair out in the mirror.

 

“I mean you wanted to befriend Ross and now that I’ve made the effort you don’t seem to want him around anymore,” Scott answered. He buttoned his shirt leaving three buttons open, showing his smooth chest. He ruffled his hair in the mirror then smoothed out his swimming shorts.

 

“He’s not our friend, he was just entertaining,” Carrie said. “Why have you taken interest in him though?”

 

“I thought it was what you wanted Carrie,” Scott groaned, studying her. Even if he had more pressing reasons to pursue a friendship, Scott was confused by Carrie’s reaction. He found himself looking himself over in the mirror for any sign or clue to the night he just had. He didn’t seem changed by it on the outside, but his mind was racing. He knew Ross would have to stay here and he would be returning to Texas soon, but the fleeting thought of returning excited him.

 

“It was,” Carrie answered absently, “to get you to have some manners and we needed a tour guide that wasn’t into the frat boy gatherings.”

 

“Well what if he comes around?” Scott asked, not liking the way Carrie had started the morning.

 

“You two made a promise right?” Carrie asked as she made her way to the door. When Scott nodded remembering the pact he made with Ross from the other night. It was the only way he could function around Ross before he got to know him. Now he didn’t feel right not seeing him and talking with him.

 

“That was just because he was someone we didn’t know,” Scott answered. “We can’t just blow someone off after we become friends.”

 

“Fine, whatever you want.”

 

“I don’t want to fight Carrie, that’s what I want,” Scott countered as they walked out the door. The sun was bright and the park and resort looked more crowded today compared to yesterday. The breeze still had the cool morning feeling that would go away later in the day. It was enough to send shivers through his body and when he saw Ross jogging up to meet them Scott forced himself to hide the smile that had appeared.

 

“Good morning,” Carrie said when Ross got to where they were standing. She hugged him briefly then backed away. “You’re not allowed to keep Scott out partying all night anymore.”

 

“Sorry,” Ross said, glancing at Scott. “It won’t happen again.”

 

“What is there to do here during the day?” Scott asked when the small group fell silent. Ross could sense the tension and wondered if Scott had told Carrie about last night. It was something he wanted to take back if he could. He knew it was a mistake and he felt sorry for Carrie. Ross had noticed that Scott didn’t return Carrie’s smiles anymore. She had the unmistakable look of someone in love and Scott only looked indifferent.

 

“Surfing lessons,” Ross answered, shrugging. “They give free lessons to resort guests.”

“That sounds fun, I’ve always wanted to learn how to surf.”

 

“Well, lead the way Ross,” Scott said as Carrie looped her arm with his and Ross turned and started walking with Scott in the middle. When they arrived, the instructors were waxing the boards. When they noticed that they weren’t alone they stood and dusted the sand from their shorts.

 

“Looking for a lesson?” a small framed girl asked. The other instructor was an older man that went to the truck to put away the supplies.

 

“Yeah,” Carrie answered. “Are we early?”

 

“You’re just in time,” the man said. “My daughter and I start giving lessons around this time so a small jump in the day won’t hurt too much.”

 

“Alright can we see your resort tags and then we’ll get started,” the girl said. “I’m Tanya and this is my father, Mike.”

 

“How much are lessons for non-guests?” Scott answered as he handed his tag over to Mike to be examined. Tanya took Carrie’s and when they returned them they slipped them back into Carrie’s bag for safe keeping.

 

“Twenty an hour,” Mike responded. “But we’ll be swamped soon so we don’t give them often.”

 

“Well our friend here isn’t a resort guest,” Scott said, pointing to Ross who was standing beside Scott.

 

“Sorry, we’ll probably take on more guests soon and guests are top priority.”

 

“I’ll pay you double,” Scott offered, opening his wallet ready to pay whatever it took to keep Ross around longer.

 

“It’s their policy Scott,” Carrie interrupted putting her hand on his, keeping him from pulling out the money. “Sorry Ross.”

 

“I’ll just meet y’all later,” Ross said shrugging. When he disappeared into the crowd of tourists the lessons began. Scott never learned how to surf, because his mind wasn’t on what he was doing. He kept peering over his shoulder or scanning the crowd to see if Ross was somewhere watching him and waiting for their lessons to be completed. Carrie had taken to surfing easily and could ride a small wave to the shore before he could stand. More resort guests had arrived a little while after their lessons started and others were waiting on the beach.

 

When the lessons ended Scott had started feeling the effects of a sleepless night. His heavy shoulders seemed to slow him down when he walked out of the ocean and sat down on the beach towel Carrie had laid out for them to use. When she joined him he felt himself become uneasy. Carrie wanted to be alone for the day and Scott now felt suffocated by her. It would be difficult explaining last night to her, but he knew he couldn’t leave Cancun hiding more secrets than what he had when he came here.

 

“Your mother told me why you brought me here,” Carrie whispered leaning forward and kissing Scott on the cheek.

 

“She did?” Scott asked, surprised. “She doesn’t know why I brought you here though.”

 

“I knew your intensions the moment you surprised me,” Carrie replied. “Your mother just agreed.”

 

“And what was the reason you both came up with?” Scott asked, forcing a smile.

 

“You’re here to propose to me,” Carrie answered, grinning. “I just can’t take the suspense any longer though. I know I barely made it through the first night thinking about the idea.”

 

“Oh,” Scott said looking past Carrie trying to think of a way to get around the situation he was in. When she grabbed his hand he turned to look at her; he wouldn’t be able to go through with his plan.

 

“I don’t know if it’s true, but I’m ready to be married to you,” she said, giving his hand a light squeeze before standing and helping him to his feet. She was leading him with a purpose back to the hotel. They crossed the small park with Scott looking around for Ross to come save him. He couldn’t propose to her and he knew that’s why he was being led back to the room. The ring was there, stashed away in a small compartment. She would want to see it and he would have to show her then propose to her. He wasn’t ready to hurt her by telling her what he had hidden. He knew that she was in love with him.

 

“We need to talk Carrie,” Scott said, trying to gently free himself from the grasp once they got to the stairs leading to the room.

 

“About what?” Carrie asked still holding on to Scott’s hand firmly. She had started up the stairs and had one foot on the second one looking impatient but smiling at the same time.

 

“I don’t know,” Scott answered, not wanting to talk about last night but not wanting to go further. He hadn’t had time to think about things now that they had changed. He didn’t know if he had it in him to marry her after last night. Now that his heart wasn’t in it, the lie was harder to be part of, even if he feared letting the secrets known.

           

“You’re being stupid,” Carrie said, laughing slightly. “Come on, show me the ring.”

 

“No,” Scott said and she let his hand drop to his side and stood studying him.

 

“Do you not want to go through with this?” Carrie asked, crossing her arms, the smile vanishing. In the back of her mind she knew that Scott loved her. He had stopped telling her a few months ago, but things were comfortable so she didn’t push it out of him or even expect it. Now though, she wanted the confirmation.

 

“I don’t want to marry you,” Scott whispered then watched as Carrie’s shoulders dropped. She looked past him seeing Ross standing behind Scott; she turned and walked up the stairs to get away from the situation completely. The atmosphere didn’t fit the situation and she needed to escape to her room.

 

Scott turned around when Ross put his hand on his shoulder. When he saw him standing there he let out a weak smile then sat down on the concrete steps wanting to give Carrie some space before talking to her more.

 

“You shouldn’t have told her that,” Ross said taking a seat next to him. “I wanted you to though.”

 

“I should have told her years ago,” Scott answered. “Not after I bought the ring. I thought I could love her.”

 

“I’m sorry,” Ross said. “I fucked up your vacation.”

 

“You might have,” Scott responded. “but you saved her life.”

 

“I need to get going,” Ross said. “The security around here is thick and I’m a wanted man.”

 

“Can I see you tonight?” Scott asked putting his hand on his shoulder stopping Ross from leaving.

 

“No,” Ross answered. “I can’t get close to you.”

 

“Because we’re leaving soon?” Scott asked hoping that was the reason behind Ross’s decision.

 

“Yes, even though I want to so badly to know you.” They both studied the other not noticing that Carrie had came back out of the room with the small black box in her hand. She had found the ring in Scott’s bag wanting evidence of Scott’s intentions, but when she saw the look on Scott’s face she couldn’t force herself to break up the scene playing out in front of her. She knew that look and had missed seeing it and she knew what it meant. She snapped out of the trance when Ross broke the gaze he was sharing with Scott. When both men were looking at her she looked back down to the small velvet box.

 

“You know,” Carrie said not looking up, knowing both of them were listening to her now. “This box represented the rest of my life at one time. Scott, you wanted to marry me before you came here and you don’t have to tell me why it changed, because I know why.”

 

“I don’t think you…”

 

“I do,” Carrie interrupted looking at him. “I was happy knowing that I found someone who I thought loved me.”

 

“I do love you,” Scott said taking a step towards her only stopping when she held up a hand to stop him from climbing another step closer.

 

“So you snuck away to fuck Ross, loving me,” she hissed as tears escaped her eyes. “It’s the only thing I can think of that would change your mind.”

 

“I have to go,” Ross said, turning to walk away not wanting to be caught up in a scene even if he wanted to stay there to help during the aftermath the fight would cause. He felt sorry for both of them and he was partly to blame. He let his built up passions to take over him that night knowing it was something forbidden for him.

 

“Stay,” Carrie ordered. “Don’t dare leave.”

 

“I don’t want to cause a scene then,” Ross said. “Let’s go inside and work this out, please?”

 

“Yeah,” Scott agreed looking around at the people taking notice.

 

“You think you can just seduce someone and leave?” Carrie asked, walking down the stairs passing Scott and closing the distance between herself and Ross.

 

“It was my mistake,” Ross answered. “But you need to calm down ok?”

 

“I’m not worried about making a scene Ross,” Carrie snapped. “Do you always fuck the tourists?”

 

“Carrie,” Scott said firmly, trying to get her attention. “Can we just go and talk about this, please?”

 

“Is it true then?” Carrie demanded, turning to Scott. “Did you have sex with him?” When Scott looked to the ground not finding it in himself to say it aloud Carrie looked back down to the box.

 

“I’m sorry,” Scott apologized thinking it sounded out of place.

 

“I haven’t even looked inside this box,” she said holding it on her palm. When she reached up with her other hand and opened the box looking at the diamond ring her eyes fluttered and she sucked in her breath. “It’s beautiful.”

 

She took the ring and put it on the proper finger. Then she stretched her arm out as both men watched in silence as she examined it on her finger. Carrie let herself think about the future the ring represented in their small Texas town. The large wedding in a small church and the house that Scott would build for them – their first house. The family she wanted that would give her a reason to cook a large dinner every Sunday after church with Scott’s mother until she learned to cook his favorite meals. It was all so easily pictured now that the ring was on her finger.

 

“Do you want to talk?” Scott asked breaking the uncomfortable silence.

 

“There’s nothing left to say to me,” she said. “You wasted years of my life and I was going to be your safe, cover-up wife.”

 

“I know,” Scott said, walking up to her carefully, but when he reached out to touch her she slapped his hand away.

 

“Don’t touch me!” She exclaimed and Scott backed away when she stiffened in stature and glared at him. “You’ve done so much damage. I just want to leave and forget you, go home, and start working on recovering from this mess I’m in.”

 

“Fine, we’ll leave today,” Scott said, “whatever you want.”

 

“Is there a problem here?” A hotel security man asked. Ross hadn’t noticed him approach and when he saw the man his heart fluttered. When the man looked in his direction Ross turned away trying to seem out of place and not part of the problem; all he wanted to do was go home now.

 

“No,” Scott answered, “not at all.”

 

“It looks like a problem to me,” he said. “Ma’am are you alright?”

 

“I’m fine,” Carrie answered weakly. “He’s my boyfriend who fucked a man, but I know him so please leave us alone.”

 

“We try to create a place of peace here ma’am, so please take your problems off the sidewalk and into a more suitable place,” the guard said, trying to keep things professional. He looked at Ross again feeling uncomfortable to be the person stepping into this situation until he recognized the other man standing in front of him. “Sir, what’s your name?”

 

When Ross realized that the questioned was addressed to him he wanted to panic. The urge to run away rushed through his body, but he kept still and tried to seem innocent of anything. He glanced in Scott’s direction hoping Scott would save him from answering the question some how, but Scott looked just as scared as he was.

 

“His name is Ross,” Carrie answered, when no one answered the man. “Ross was just leaving. He’s not staying at the resort, he lives here.”

 

“Are you Samuel Ross Kingston?” The guard asked. “Take off your shirt.”

 

“Excuse me?” Ross asked, his voice shaky as he took a step back. He knew he was caught and the tattoo on his chest would only provide more confirmation.

 

“Let me see your chest,” he said. “You heard me.”

 

“What’s wrong?” Carrie asked, looking at Scott for answers. Scott watched as Ross looked away then slowly reached up and pulled his shirt out of his pants. Then he slowly pulled his shirt over his head and revealed the tattoo.

 

“You’re going to have to come with me,” The guard said as he grabbed Ross’s arm with one hand and pulled his radio off of his belt, sending word for the police to be called.

 

“What’s wrong here?” Carrie asked again when she didn’t receive any answer the first time.

 

“Ma’am step away and don’t interfere,” the guard said as both Scott and Carrie and started following them. “Go back to your rooms.”

 

“Where are you taking him?” Scott asked as Ross looked over his shoulder at the troubled pair behind him.

 

“He didn’t do anything wrong,” Carrie said. “What he did isn’t a crime or anything, even if he knew Scott was off limits.”

 

“Carrie,” Scott whispered, shaking his head.

 

“Ma’am this man is wanted for murder and deserting the military, he’s wanted and presumed dangerous,” the guard informed her, jerking Ross’s arm to get his attention.

 

“That can’t be right,” Carrie said. “He’s gentle.”

 

“Sir, that was self-defense,” Scott countered meekly. The large man dressed in bright yellow stopped and turned around to face Scott and Carrie then.

 

“I told you two not to interfere,” he said sharply. “Go back to your room or you will be arrested too.”

 

“I had this coming to me, Scott,” Ross said. “Leave.” Sirens could be heard approaching the hotel and when Ross was taken through large windowless doors labeled for authorities only Carrie stopped Scott from walking through them.

 

“I’m sorry,” Scott said turning to Carrie. “I’ve fucked up your life and dragged him into it too.” Carrie looked down at the ring again and slipped it off her finger and returned it back to the box.

 

“He killed someone?” Carrie asked glancing at the large doors again.

 

“He was attacked and killed his attacker,” Scott answered. “Then ran away.”

 

“So he says,” Carrie said, crossing her arms. “How would we know the truth?”

 

“You said yourself that he was gentle,” Scott countered, walking up to the door and slamming his fist against it.

 

“What are you doing?” Carrie asked trying not to feel sorry for Scott or Ross. “You’ll get arrested if you don’t leave.”

 

“He’ll spend his life in prison, as a murderer,” Scott said giving up when the door never opened. He sat down on the ground letting himself break down as Carrie studied him. “All he wanted was a friend.”

 

“We don’t even know him,” Carrie said. “He could’ve murdered a man.”

 

“Come with me,” Scott said as he stood abruptly.

 

“I’m not going anywhere with you,” Carrie countered “You have hurt me worse than anyone ever could have and you only care about saving a killer’s ass.”

 

“He’s not a…” Scott started then just stepped past her leaving her standing on the sidewalk in front of the Hotel’s security doors. When he turned the corner heading towards Ross’s apartment Carrie sat down with the black box in her hand. It surprised her when the doors opened and Ross’s walked out accompanied by two officers. She stood and looked at him as he scanned his surroundings.

 

“He’s not here,” Carrie said to get his attention.

 

“I’ll tell you then,” Ross frowned. “I never wanted to hurt you Carrie and I wanted to apologize for the mess I’ve caused you, but I know the importance of having someone like you or Scott in their life. He needs you now more than you know and you need him too, even if you’re too hurt to see it.”

 

“Ross,” Carrie interrupted not wanting to hear what he had to say. She knew she was hurt, but didn’t see her life without Scott in it. He was important to her, more than she wanted to admit. She knew she couldn’t lose him.

 

“Let me finish, please,” Ross said as the officers had started to take him back inside the doors. “Promise me you’ll make things ok between you and Scott.”

 

“I will. It may take a while, but I will.”

 

“Good,” Ross said, smiling. “Tell him to visit my family and talk all he wants about me.”

 

“I’ll do that too,” Carrie replied. Ross nodded weakly and disappeared behind the doors, leaving Carrie alone on the sidewalk again. Sitting back down she opened the box again to look at the ring. Then she closed it, feeling helpless. The sun was intense and the heat was oppressing. She didn’t know where Scott had gone, but she didn’t want to leave the door in case something happened, even if she was only a few yards away from the room.

 

When Scott finally did return, breathing hard he fumbled around in his pockets. The small dog was on a leash panting behind him as she reached for the leash so that he could use both hands. When he pulled out a small folded up piece of paper he carefully unfolded it and handed it to her. Carrie looked down at the paper and found that it was an old picture of Ross and his family. She saw him, a little younger and less tanned, but Ross was standing in the picture in between his parents and behind his younger brother. The picture perfect family, she thought and felt herself smiling as she handed the picture back to Scott.

 

A few minutes later as they sat waiting for anything new a helicopter could be heard. It was starting to get late in the day; both of them were starving, but neither of them suggested that they leave the spot. The dog had fallen asleep in a small shaded area behind Carrie as the sun still had all of its intensity. They both stood when the helicopter could no longer be heard and the doors opened with Ross being escorted past them.

 

“Where are they taking you?” Scott asked as staff held them back by stepping in front of them. The dog stirred and pulled on the leash trying to get to Ross after noticing him in the crowd of police.

 

“Back to base, prison,” Ross answered. “It was nice meeting you both, stay out of trouble.”

 

“Ok,” Scott answered then watched as they walked around the corner to stairs leading to the roof of the hotel. A few minutes later the helicopter started and lifted, with Ross inside this time. They both watched as it disappeared before walking back to the hotel with Tuck trotting beside them.

           

“Are we going home?” Carrie asked when they entered their room.

 

“Yes,” Scott answered as he watched Tuck hike his leg and relieve himself on the dresser in their room. Scott packed all the scattered clothes with Carrie putting everything else away. Then she called the cab as Scott left to check them out of the hotel.

 

It took hours of fighting with airport security before they let Tuck on the flight to America. When he was checked out by a vet, cleared of disease, and given shots, he was crated. After exchanging their tickets for the earliest flight back home Carrie and Scott were finally on their way back to Texas. The last few days had changed them both dramatically, but it wasn’t discussed on the flight. Scott fell asleep on Carrie’s shoulder against his will. Carrie couldn’t know how he felt, but what she felt caused her discomfort. She was no longer angry with Scott, but she found herself feeling for him in a whole different way. She promised to help Scott and Ross meet again as she reached into her purse and pulled out the box again, looking down at it. She knew she had to locate Ross’s family to keep her promises to Ross.

 

It was dark when the plane landed in Texas. When they retrieved Tuck they took a cab back to Carrie’s house, where they separated. She entered the house and he unlocked his car, putting Tuck in the back seat knowing he would be scrubbing away urine when he got home, but didn’t care as he opened the trunk and shoved his bags in, closing it when he got the last one stashed away inside. He quickly walked around to the driver’s side and got in.

When he arrived, his parents were asleep so he quietly maneuvered around. Leaving his luggage in the trunk, he unleashed Tuck and let the small dog use the bathroom before unlocking the front door and stepping inside his living room. A few minutes later Tuck scratched on the front door and he let the dog in. He quietly walked up the stairs to his room and removed the picture from his pocket and sat it on his desk next to the computer. Too tired to let the intense hunger bother him he stripped down to his boxers then slid into bed falling asleep with Ross still dominating his thoughts.

 

-----

 

Three months after both Carrie and Scott had searched for Ross’s, family they turned up no leads. One morning, Carrie was looking over the history of their search files and found a local news article about Ross and his story, after it first happened and before Ross had run away to Mexico. At the end of the document, the hometown was listed so she quickly wrote down the town and found the address they had been searching for.

 

Fall was just getting underway. Scott still hadn’t came out to his parents, but Carrie had accepted that Scott was gay and missed Ross. Tuck had missed him too; Scott, never a dog person, had adopted Tuck and through months of obedience classes, Tuck no longer lifted his leg on the furniture. When she ran outside, she forgot how crisp the mornings were becoming – even in Texas. A storm had blown through in the middle of night, which had woken her and now she was on her way to give Scott what he had desired for so long.

 

There hadn’t been any news about Ross or his sentencing; the military had been quiet about the investigation into the ordeal at the request of the family. Only Ross had told Scott what really happened. Scott knew it was far-fetched but was hopeful that Ross would be cleared of charges and able to leave.

 

“Scott,” Carrie whispered, leaning close to his ear trying to be quiet. When he didn’t respond she gently prodded him until he shifted in the bed and opened his eyes to look at her.

 

“What’s wrong?” Scott asked as he sat up turning on the lamp.

 

“I’ve done some work and I think I’ve found Ross’s family,” Carrie answered, holding up a piece of paper. It was printed out map with directions to a house.

 

“What time is it?” Scott asked, but glanced at the digital clock on his nightstand table and saw that it was only one in the morning.

 

“It’s a four hour drive to his house so you need to go soon to meet his family.”

 

“They’ll probably not even be there Carrie; they’re probably gone see him,” Scott replied.

 

“You know you’re going anyway,” Carrie countered, placing the map in his hand and leaving the room for him to get dressed. She walked down the stairs and patted Tuck on the head before leaving.

 

A few minutes later Scott walked into the bathroom and took a quick shower. When he was dried and dressed he grabbed the picture then left his parents a note to feed Tuck and that he would explain his trip when he returned home. He had no idea what would happen when he reached the end of the map and the destination. He knew it was all irrational and had been for a while. On the way he looked back and was able to see how many mistakes he made in the past few years. He had led his best friend on and irreversibly robbed her of the past few years. He had been prepared to keep hiding behind her without her knowing and giving her the way of life she had envisioned for them both. All of it led up to meeting Ross and now, hours later with the sun over head, he was slowing to a stop in front of a house in a small town similar to his. A younger boy was standing outside with a football in his hand. Looking down at the picture he saw that, even aged and developed, the boy still matched the picture, but looked more like Ross looking cautiously back at him from the front lawn.

 

Scott opened the door after parking the car and walked around to the other side of it. His knees were shaking and he had to force himself to stay upright as he nervously stepped forward. He didn’t know much about the family, as Ross had never talked about them in detail.

 

“You’re not a reporter are ya?” Daniel Kingston asked as Scott closed the distance.

 

“Not at all,” Scott replied. “I’m a friend of Ross.” When Ross was mentioned Scott noticed that his younger brother’s demeanor darkened.

 

“We don’t talk about him. Leave,” he responded before walking through the front door and slamming it behind him. The harshness in his voice almost stopped Scott from walking up to the door. He wanted Ross’s family to support him and not to hate him for the past few years. It was something Ross was afraid of and Scott hoped after knocking on the door he would be able to convince them before it was too late.

 

When an older man answered the door Scott took a few steps back and studied the man. His hair had thinned slightly and had a lot more gray in it. The man also had put on a lot more weight, but over all he still matched the picture that rested in his hand.

 

“Mr. Kingston,” Scott said after clearing his throat with a few small nervous coughs. “I’m a friend of Ross.”

 

“Why are you here?” Samuel Kingston asked as he crossed his arms. “I don’t even remember you and if you’re some sorry ass reporter then you just need to leave.”

 

“I’m not a reporter,” Scott answered. “I met your son in Cancun and I promised I would visit.”

 

“You’ve seen him?” Samuel Kingston asked and Scott noticed his voice sounded weaker than before. When Scott nodded cautiously Ross’s dad opened the screen door and stepped aside.

 

“Lori come here,” Samuel ordered excitedly. When Lori Kingston appeared wearing an apron, her hair frazzled from a morning full of chores. She dried her hands and studied Scott.

 

“I’m Scott and I met Ross in Cancun,” Scott repeated and watched as Lori leaned against the door frame leading to the kitchen and started crying.

 

“Come on in,” Lori said breathlessly. Scott handed her the wrinkled old picture as he walked past them into the kitchen. Lori had been cooking breakfast and when he had a plate of food in front of him he thanked her and the family ate in silence, but the air around them was thick with different feelings. Daniel refused to eat, but wasn’t excused from the table when he asked to leave. When the dishes were cleared from the table they all sat around in silence. The picture was passed between them each of them remembering the day it was taken.

 

“He’s still a fag and a murderer,” Daniel snapped, slamming the picture down on the table to break the silence.

 

“He wasn’t,” Scott countered, turning to Daniel. “He is gay, but he was only defending himself.”

 

“That’s what he told you,” Daniel said crossing his arms. “He ran away and left us to deal with the mess he made. I lost all my friends and found out my brother wasn’t who I thought.”

 

“Please don’t talk about your brother like that, Daniel,” Lori whispered, unable to find her voice.

 

“Just believe me ok?” Scott said. “He did what he had to do then got scared. He didn’t abandon you by running away.”

 

“Fine,” Daniel said. “I don’t want to talk about him.”

 

“Daniel,” Samuel said. “We told you not to act this way. You’re too old to hate your brother for something out of his control.”

 

“So you believe this guy?” Daniel asked, crossing his arms. “Are you that desperate to think he’s some good guy still?”

 

“Yes,” Samuel said simply. “I am, because what they said about him wasn’t Ross and you know that too.”

 

“Then why did he run?” Daniel asked as Scott looked on. He noticed that Daniel didn’t look angry anymore and looked close to crying.

 

“He thought he’d never get treated fairly after explaining the situation,” Scott answered, even if it was a weak explanation. The questions stopped then and silence settled back at the kitchen table. Scott looked around and noticed that there were a lot of pictures around the room of both Ross and Daniel. When Lori noticed Scott looking around at the pictures she started telling the stories behind them. Even Daniel enjoyed hearing of the stories that involved him. Scott liked learning about Ross. How many times he gotten in trouble for talking too much in class; the time he stayed out all night after his senior prom worrying her all night when the police couldn’t find him; returning the next day as if nothing happened. By the end of the stories Scott knew a lot about him that Ross never got around to sharing.

 

“Are you his boyfriend?” Samuel asked in a quiet voice.

 

“No,” Scott answered, blushing intensely. Lori stood and started clearing the table, but none of them heard the car door shut and when she started running the water the screen door opened and a large bag hit the floor. Scott didn’t expect to see Ross standing in the doorway and when Lori looked at him the plates dropped from her grasp shattering loud against the floor.

 

“Ross,” she whispered as she walked around the mess in the floor carefully to close the distance between them.

 

“How did you get here?” Scott asked, standing as the family embraced Ross.

 

“I was cleared of murder and received a dishonorable discharge,” Ross explained, sounding relieved. They were all crying as Scott stood watching them all begin asking him questions. Scott wanted to ask how he was able to convince everyone of self-defense, but he knew none of it mattered. When the family entered the living room to sit down and talk, Scott turned and slipped out the door easily now that he was being ignored. With an unyielding smile he walked to his car and only turned to look at the house when a screen door screeched open violently then slammed. He saw Ross running up to where he was standing and when Ross pushed him against the car grabbing hold of his head pulling their faces together kissing. The act had surprised Scott, but he softened to the touch and when Ross broke the kiss he smiled.

 

“You kept your promise,” Ross said. “And you’re not leaving right now so get your ass back inside.”

           

“Ok.”

 

 

© 2008 Krista

Discuss This Story

Copyright © 2010 Krista; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I really liked this story. I kept wondering what was up with Ross. I'm happy things worked out the way they did at the end.

Link to comment
On 07/30/2014 03:27 PM, Gene63 said:
I really liked this story. I kept wondering what was up with Ross. I'm happy things worked out the way they did at the end.
Thanks! :D Old Anthology story, back when I had more time to do those. Glad you liked it though. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..