Jump to content
    KS Wright
  • Author
  • 3,526 Words
  • 2,693 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Forever And A Day - 1. Chapter 1

I

 

“Come on dude, you'll have fun I promise.” I reached for the remote on the coffee table and decided to give Omar the attention he deserved. Most of the time, I'd ignore him when he asked me to go to the gym with him.

Turning off the television, I let out a deep yawn reminding my friend that I didn't have a good night's rest. He laughed to himself and stood up from his seat on the couch and walked my way. “It's almost been a week since the last time you've been to the gym. And I thought you wanted to start working out.”

I stretched my arms out widely, trying desperately to wake up my body. “Well I've been busy with work for the past week. You know that.” Omar helped pull me up from the couch and patted my back in response. “Besides shouldn't you be hanging out with that girlfriend of yours.”

When I said that I could see his eye's sparkle as if it was a mandatory response whenever I mentioned her. The two of them have been dating for about a month now which is a new record for him since he usually dumps them after two weeks. Omar was never the type of guy to stick with the same girl, only because he'd easily get bored with their personality. But apparently this new one has got him starstruck and he believes that she is the best one he has gone out with in a long time. I wonder why I still haven't met her yet.

Omar stood in the middle of the living room, in that hypnotic state for another five seconds before he shook it off and gave me a playful punch to the shoulder. The kind that guys gave each other when the other one made a crazy joke. “Aww I would If I could but she's still studying for her final exams.”

I gave him a puzzling look, confused at what he had told me. “Isn't she exempt from her exams, thought you said she was a genius.”

“Nope, juniors aren't allowed to get exempt from exams. If she was do you really think I'd be here right now.” he said grinning widely. “Gee thanks.”

The sound of my stomach growling told me that it was time for some breakfast. Too bad Mom had to work today, I would have enjoyed a good pancake and sausage breakfast. Being the manager of the local grocery store had its perks but I disliked the fact that she worked during the weekends as well. It'd be nice to have a relaxing day chilling with my mom.

Omar must have heard my stomach ache in pain from the lack of food and started directing me to the kitchen. “Kodi did you hear that, it's your tummy telling you, give me food now!”

I turned on the switch that was connected to the kitchen and the lights flashed on, leaving my eye's a little disoriented. The kitchen was looking pretty clean, except for the dirty dishes in the sink and an idea popped into my head. I walked over to the sink and pointed to the dishes, “I have a proposition, if you help me clean up and make breakfast then I'll happily accompany you to the gym.”

I snickered and saw that Omar was surprised at the sudden idea. He pretended to ponder the idea, making sure his “hmm” were loud and clear. “Alright, you have yourself a deal. As long as I get some food too.”

Nodding my head, I made way to the fridge looking carefully for something that was quick and easy to make. Looks like today's menu included scrambled eggs, bacon and biscuits. It didn't take long for Omar to finish the dishes considering he did chores for his family all the time. Thankfully my Mom only had me clean up when things got too messy. One time we junk pile up in the house to the point we couldn't even see the floor. We promised each other to never let that happen again.

It wasn't that she didn't like to clean but her job kept her busy. Maybe one day they'd hire a co-manager so that she can share the hours and spend more time home. Another thirty minutes passed by and breakfast was ready and on the table.

“Time to dig in!” The two of us announced loudly and the competition began. The deal was that whenever Omar and I were eating together we'd have a challenge to see who could eat the most food on the table. A little childish I know, but it allowed us to have some fun and who doesn't like some competition.

Only a few minutes passed by before the plates were clean and I stuffed down the last warm and fluffy biscuit down the shoot. Omar groaned in response after he realized that he lost. I swallowed and stood up on the chair with my hand high in the air. “Victory is mine!”

“Barbaric much?”

“Your just mad you lost.” I jumped down to the floor and started grabbing the plates, while he picked up the napkins.

“Next time I'll win sure, but in the meantime it's time for you to keep your end of the bargain.”

Everything was back to the norm, as the kitchen looked spotless and our bellies were full. I threw him the keys to his car and ran upstairs to my room. Opening up my closet door I picked out some black shorts and white tee and dressed up for the gym. I heard the sound of an engine starting up and a manly honk coming from outside. I locked the front door and jumped into the topless sports yellow sports car. Omar looked ready, with his shades and his cap on backwards.

“When did you become cool?” I asked jokingly as I turned up the music on the radio, listening to the crazy song that was being played.

“Dude, I've always been cool. You just never noticed.” I stuck my tongue out at him and asked if we were going to hit the pool afterward. The thought of relaxing in a pool after a nice workout made my body chill for a moment. Swimming was always something that I included as a hobby, and I was pretty good if I do say so myself.

As a kid, while everyone else had to learn the basics from start to finish, I knew all the different kind of strokes and could easily swim in the deep end. My friends always questioned why I didn't join the swim team, and there was one big problem with that. Wearing a speedo just wasn't my forte.

“Yeah most likely. But I know why you want to go to the pool.” He laughed softly to himself and I shoved him in the ribs. “You want to make googly-eyes at the hunky lifeguards” Even though we both cracked up after that last comment it was all too true. Maybe Mason would be there.

About a month ago, when Omar had succeeded in bringing me to the gym, I snuck away to the pool while he was distracted. He likes to work out during the night time when everyone is away and he can really focus on lifting weights, this meant that the pool was close but that didn't stop me.

The door to the entrance was unlocked and I quickly changed into my swimming trunks and dove right in the chill water. When I made it to the surface there was a lifeguard smiling at me from the edge of the pool. He had the cutest bright green eyes I'd ever seen. He asked me if I knew that the pool was closed for the night and I lied. That's when I developed a crush on him. After he helped me up and out of the water, Mason had held my hand longer than a guy would and should. I looked closely at his face and could tell he was blushing, so cute. The name tag on his white polo read “Mason” and I thanked him for the help. Then he reminded me that I should come back the next day when the pool is actually open.

Omar was a little pissed that I missed his work out session that day, but after I told him what happened in the pool he lightened up. He learned that Mason was the new lifeguard at the pool and had been planning to work there for the summer. I wanted to go after him and maybe learn more about him but for some odd reason I couldn't pull myself together and ask. I mean what if he isn't gay and he gets really mad at me, then what. Millions of situations were buzzing through my mind but Omar said that he'd be there for back-up if anything bad happens.

The day had finally arrived, I knew that I was going to ask out Mason and whatever happens ill be fine with it.

 

II

 

Omar whirled through the Saturday morning traffic, making sure to watch out for any cops nearby. After driving by yet another stop sign I warned that sooner or later the police were going to spot him. He then wrapped his right arm around my head, while keeping the other hand on the steering wheel.

“You know you worry too much buddy. I know where all the cops are hiding, trust me they won't catch me for a while.” Sometimes I think he might grow-up to be one of those crazy taxi drivers that can get you from the airport to your house and back within five minutes top.

Thankfully the sports car pulled into the recreation center parking lot. The sign at the entrance that read “Balance Center” had been given a new color to the text. This time around summer it was red, maybe the staff thought it was a good gimmick for the place.

The engine fizzled out and we leapt out of the car soaking in the morning sunshine and grass green air. We exhaled in unison and made way for the entrance, I noticed that many of the cars in the parking lot were parked in the staff section meaning that their were few members inside. Maybe one of the cars were Mason's. Suddenly I found myself playing a game, trying to decide which one was his.

I easily ruled out and silver or black colored car's because he didn't seem like the kind of person to drive such a boring colored vehicle. Finally I found a winner, the blue Highlander that had a sticker on it that said “Lifeguards Are Awesome!”

Inside we scanned out membership cards and entered the locker room where we left our drawstring backpacks for when we go swimming. Finally Omar and I reached the gym and he went straight for the treadmills. The two of us used to run track during our sophomore year of high school and even though I quit during mid-season he became top of the class and went to the regionals to come second in 100 meter dash.

I paced over to the running machine and joined him on the fifteen minute jog. As usual the competitive spirits inside us came out and after about thirty minutes we hopped of the machines panting a bit. Next we did a few exercises with the dumbbells, and I groaned loudly. “Dude don't you want to have guns like me one day!.” He exclaimed as he lifted up his arms and posed like a bodybuilder, I ignored his narcissism and started pumping up some 25 pound weights.

This went on for another hour as we went through a series of stretches and exercises. The end game with me breathing heavily on the mat and Omar guzzling down cups of water.

“Alright I think it's time for us to take a break.”

“I agree, I don't think I can lift another weight for a while.” I said while using the little strength I had in my arms to pull myself up.

“It's O.K. It starts to burn at first but you'll get used to it sooner or later.”

His statement didn't make me feel any better but he did have a point. If I weren't so lazy I'd be right beside him in the gym pumping iron like a champ. We wrapped the towels around our shoulders and exited the gym, hopefully for the last time. I knew next we had swimming and this was my chance to ask out Mason, the hunky lifeguard, but I couldn't help the thought that, what if I got cold feet and chickened out at the last second. It'd all be over then considering he would think I'm a wuss and never talk to me again.

Standing there frozen, Omar obviously saw me panicking and started massaging my shoulders as if I were a professional boxer about to fight in title match. “Go get em' champ!” Sometimes he can be the greatest friend a guy like me can have.

The locker room smelled like musky men, but of course what locker room didn't. I've only been in here a few times and after noon you can tell the scent goes from a nice and clean midnight candle smell to a jar of man sweat. They're were a few other guys in here this time around, considering people were just now starting rise and shine from their Saturday morning beauty sleep.

I quickly changed out of my work-out clothes and into my swimming trunks, not that I was shy but that I couldn't wait to get out of there. I mean no one wanted to get a look of wrinkly old man into their vision. I friskily waved to Omar to let him know that I’ll be at the pool if he needed me and he just smiled.

A quick breeze of chlorine blew past as the door to the pool swung open and I emerged on the other side examining my surrounding. There were but a few people in the water at the moment, a mother and her child chilling at the side and a couple of old ladies doing water aerobics in the middle.

I never understood why older women tended to work out in the pool, because if I don't like the idea of almost naked pruned up ladies dancing around then no one else does. My eyes averted the people in the water and were transfixed on the lifeguard tower soaking up the sight of my fantasy hero.

Mason looked just like he did before, his happy-go-lucky smile shining bright with a nice fixed posture, but there was a difference this time that made me want to squeal aloud. He wore the same trunks as last time but there was no white polo shirt covering up his chest, this time his abs were bare and his muscles glowed in the light. If you look closely you could see them pump up with just the slightest movement.

Mason must have caught me staring because when our eyes locked together he sent a smile my way and my cheeks burned bright like the red sun. Just like I thought my feet were glued to the ground and I couldn't make a move. “Damn, why did this have to happen to me now. Come on feet don't fail me now.” I mumbled.

But before I knew it I felt a hand behind push me forward, he must have been distraught at me standing there for so long and grew impatient. I flew forward heading straight for the pool and I heard the screams of ladies moving out of the way. I tried to catch my balance but it was too late as my body spiraled into the pool making a loud splash and sending water everywhere.

Most people would immediately react to the situation and try to get back to the surface but for some reason I froze like a statue. Water rushed into my lungs like a tidal wave wiping out a town and at that moment I realized I was drowning. I'd never known how it felt to drown because I thought people that drowned were idiots for not trying to get out of the water. Boy was I wrong for thinking that, guess karma can be a bitch sometimes.

My eyes started to burn and slowly started to shutdown. But before I blacked out I heard someone jump into the pool, swimming towards me at high speeds. I was too disoriented to see who the person was, but when he touched my hands I knew exactly who it was.

 

III

 

“Kodi you idiot don't ever scare me like that again.” Omar had been screaming at me even though I barely heard what he said. At the moment I focused on the sweet lips that were departing from mine, tasting of soft vanilla. I didn't really know what was going but right now I could care less. I wanted to reach and grab the person by the neck and bring him down for another round.

I just had to know who's lips these were, my eyes felt heavy but I finally broke through and discovered who the owner was. Mason went down and kissed me again, this time it was rough and he breathed his delicious air into me, suddenly water started gush out from my lungs and into the air. I began coughing loudly, sounding like an old man who had a really bad cold. Life was returning to me and I found out that Mason was just giving me CPR and wasn't actually kissing me, even though the fantasy was nice. If I could I'd let the moment last an eternity.

Omar knelt down to me and let out a sigh, I felt bad that I made him worry. He'd always be there for me whenever I'd get in trouble.

One time while at camp for a summer the two of us got lost on the hiking trail. I was the one who'd start worrying but he'd try to calm me down and find a way out of the mess. Eventually we found our way back, and he took me to the infirmary to make sure everything was alright.

Omar never brought up these memories, probably because he didn't want me to think that I owed him, it's what friends do and that’s another reason why he's my best friend.

“Are you back to normal?” This came from Mason who also had a worrying look on his beautiful face. I blushed and nodded my head. He then laughed and reached his out towards mine, pulling me up from the wet and cold tiled floor. “Sorry about that Omar, I don't really know what happened.”

“Just don't let it happen again, out of all things you could do today.” he chuckled and we bumped fists. It was our thing that we did. He also noticed that Mason was smiling wide now and decided to give the two of us some alone time. “I'll be outside when your done, make sure to get his number!”

Now both of us were blushing, and I started to plan how I was going to get back at him for doing that. I turned to the hunky lifeguard and grinned. “...Um...thanks for saving my life.” I finally managed to say to him.

“No problem, its what lifeguards do.”

“Yeah it is..”

“Yep”

There was an awkward silence, and neither of us knew exactly what to do. I wanted to crawl under a rock and never come up to the surface, I felt embarrassed that I couldn’t' continue the conversation and Mason must have read my mind because he looked at me with those cute green eyes of his and leaned forward to me, closing the distance between us substantially. I'm pretty sure that I was heating up like a pizza, you could probably see the steam coming out of my ears.

“Guess I should go then, Omar must be waiting for me.”

“No, you can stay.”

At that moment in time, everything around me didn't matter to me. Mason closed the gap and pressed his vanilla lips against mine. I was shocked at first but allowed my body to melt into him. Before I was burning, but now I stood there chill and wrapped my arms around his neck embracing the kiss. I don't know how long it lasted but afterward I begged for more and he made the cutest little giggle.

“I think I should start drowning more often if that's the reward.” I said jokingly.

“I agree!”

We kissed again and it felt stronger than last time. I had this feeling in my heart, not the kind that you get when you make a life long mistake. But the one where you can tell that you've done something right. And I intended to have this moment continue on for forever and a day.

Copyright © 2012 KS Wright; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..