Jump to content
    LemonSoda
  • Author
  • 4,050 Words
  • 109 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
A mini glossary for those who require one: 
Beseen: arrayed 
Devoir: duty 
Dole: grief, sorrow
Feutred: set in socket
Halsed: embraced
Hight: named, called
Sithen: afterward 
To-shivered: broken to pieces
Yede: ran 
Ween: think, suppose, believe
Wist: knew 
Wood: mad, frenzied
Wot: know
Wroth: angry 

Ilinot - 1. Chapter 1


At the court of King Arthur there abode a knight hight Ilinot, the which was Arthur’s son gat on the Lady Lysanor. And as he grew in might and strength, he was well proved in tournaments and deeds of arms, that he won much honor and worship.

Yet he desired more worship, for he was but a young knight, and had not been made a knight of the Table Round. For no knight should be of that fellowship unless he had undertaken an adventure and proved himself thereby.

So it befell news came to Camelot of a giant that distressed the country, and that giant was called Logrin. And when he heard of this adventure, Ilinot bade his squire, Gimeris, for to make him ready; for he purposed to do battle with Logrin to increase in worship.

Thus they rode forth from Camelot and journeyed a while through strange countries, over river and meadow, holt and hill, until they did encounter a husbandman on the road, driving a mule afore him.

Then Ilinot saluted him and said, “Husbandman, tell me, where may I find the giant Logrin?”

“Fair knight,” said the husbandman, “as to that I cannot say, but there doth lie an adventure not far hence, if ye do seek it. If ye dost ride a pace unto the forest, ye shalt find a garden wherein there stands a tree of silver. And upon the tree do golden apples grow. It is said that these apples do heal all wounds. Yet though many have embarked on the adventure, none can draw nigh, for the tree is guarded by a passing good knight of arms, and all who approach are brought to shame.”

“By my knighthood, I shall have encounter with him,” said Ilinot. “What is the name of this knight?”

“I wot not,” said the husbandman, “but he is known as the Golden Knight, for his armor is of gold.”

“I thank thee,” said Ilinot, and he rode with all haste until he reached the tree of silver.

And as the husbandman had said, so there stood guard a knight all in golden armor and he bare a silver shield.

“Sir knight,” said Ilinot, saluting him. “For what cause do ye guard this tree?”

“An enchanter hath appointed me with this devoir,” said the Golden Knight. “ And if thou dost draw nigh, I shall needs assay thee withal.”

“Ye say well,” said Ilinot. “Make ye ready.” With that Ilinot dressed his shield and feutred his spear. And then they came riding together, and all to-shivered both their spears.

Right so they cast their shields upon their shoulders, and drew their swords, and withal smote great strokes each upon the other. Thus they fought until noon, and never rested, but ever Ilinot recovered ground upon the Golden Knight.

Then at the last, Ilinot struck the Golden Knight such a resounding blow upon the helm that he was astonied and fell to the ground.

“Gramercy!” said the knight. “I yield me unto you as a knight matchless in arms. But pray tell me your name, and of what blood ye be, that I may bear record to your prowess.”

“Truly my name is Ilinot, and King Arthur is my father, and my mother is the Lady Lysanor,” Ilinot said. “And I require thee, Sir, tell me what knight ye be?”

“Sir, my name is Susavant,” the Golden Knight answered. “And I have fought here long by the command of a foul enchanter. He decreed I must challenge all knights of prowess who approach and never shall I be free unless that I should be overmatched.”

With this Susavant unlaced his helm withal and when Ilinot saw his visage, it seemeth to him Susavant was a comely man and well-made, and he desired to lay by him. And when Ilinot unlaced his helm and Susavant burned with desire for him also.

Then took Susavant one of the silver apples and ate of it, so that his wounds were healed. And gave he likewise an apple to Ilinot, saying, “I pray ye eat of this apple for it shall staunch your blood as well as any leech.”

“I thank thee,” said Ilinot, and took the apple and ate it, and anon his blood was staunched and he felt full rested.

Then said Susavant, “I have a pavilion not far hence. I would beseech you to lodge with me for the night, Sir Ilinot, for it grows toward evening.” For by so saying he purposed to abate his hot lust. And so they were agreed, and they lay down together and took each the other in his arms and each kissed the other.

And Gimeris the squire lay on a pallet with Susavant’s squire.

Then on the morn they arose and heard Mass and Susavant did give praise to God that Ilinot had vanquished him and thus delivered him from his enchantments.

Then Susavant would have Ilinot abide a while, but Ilinot durst not, for he wished still to have ado with Logrin, and to defoil the enchanter that had held Susavant in bondage.

“I thank ye for your generosity, but now I require ye of your knighthood, tell me whence I shall find the enchanter who so distressed you.”

“The enchanter lives in a castle nigh three days ride from here,” said Susavant. “But I advise you to assay him not, for he is false and full of malice for the knights of Arthur’s court, and if he wit what knight ye are and from whence ye come, he shall put ye to villainous use.”

Then said Ilinot, “I fear him not, for he is a churl and a coward. And that shall I prove upon his body.”

Then was Susavant right heavy, for he wit Ilinot was the most noblest men of arms he’d seen, and he desired to fellowship with him a while longer. But Ilinot armed and horsed himself, for he thought to assail the enchanter with all haste.

Thus Susavant beseeched Sir Ilinot to bring with him some of the golden apples. “For I ween ye shall have great need of them.”

For which Ilinot thanked him greatly. Then he bid Susavant hie to the court of Camelot, there to present himself to Arthur, the King, and recount by whom he had been won and in what manner.

“I will well,” said Susavant, and before the feast of Pentecost took his horse and departed unto Camelot.

 


 

Within a while Ilinot came by adventure upon a lady richly beseen. And this lady was a lady of high estate named Madoine, a sister to Sir Phelot of Northgalis.

Right so when the Lady Madoine was aware of Ilinot, she called out, “Sir knight! Well be ye found, for I pray you of succor.”

“By the faith of my body, that will I do,” said Ilinot, “What is the adventure?”

“Sir,” said the lady, “It is on my Lord’s account I make complaint, for an enchanter domineth the lands round, and he hath abashed my Lord and thrown him into prison and he shall never let him free unless he be matched in the field by some doughty knight.”

“Who is your Lord and where dwelleth he, and what hight he that hath imprisoned him?”

“My Lord is called Tanadal, and as for the enchanter, he is called Sir Escanor, and he is the falsest knight that ever lived,” the lady said. “For he lured my Lord and I into his castle under the guise of friendship, whereby he thought to sever the love betwixt my Lord and I through poisoned words and through many false enchantments besides.”

“Lady,” said Ilinot, for he trow this was the same enchanter who had done great despite to Sir Susavant. “Tell me where is this knight, for I would have ado with him.”

“Gladly,” the lady said. “Hereby is a stalwart castle, well-diked, and therein may ye find the false knight, Sir Escanor.”

Thus she led Ilinot through fair meadows unto a castle upon a high hill. “And wit you well,” said she, “that in this knight is no courtesy, for he hath put many noble knights to shameful death, and he shall do the same wise to you an you not overthrow him.

When they drew nigh the castle gates, Ilinot beat his spear upon his shield and cried out on high, ”Defend thee, Sir Escanor, for thou shamest thyself and knighthood by thy villainous deeds. I require of thee to match me in the field that I may revenge the despite thou did to the Lord of this castle.”

Then a knight rode out of the gate armed at all points. “Thou avaunteth much, and I deem thee are sent by Lady Madoine,” said the knight. “And she be a false traitress, for she hath rejected my love of her and her Lord.”

“Thou sayeth sooth,” said Ilinot. “that Lady maketh complaint of thee and thy villainy. Release Lord Tanadal and it will avail thee, or else I shall rebuketh thee with my sword.”

“I defy thee,” said the knight. “And I will keep Tanadal maugre thy head, for there is no knight living that can match me, lest he be Launcelot du Lake or Tristram de Liones, and I ween thou art neither of these.”

Right so they dressed their shields and hurtled together as thunder that their spears to-brast down to the hands. And then Sir Escanor rove his sword through Ilinot’s horse that it fell down dead.

Thus Ilinot voided his horse and then those two flang their swords long and smote at helms and hauberk so that blood trailed to the ground. So then Ilinot felt himself sore wounded and doubled his strokes.

Then anon Escanor by enchantment shaped himself into a snake and bare his fangs to strike at Ilinot. And then Ilinot smote his neck from his body.

And when the Lady beheld that Sir Escanor was dead she made great joy out of measure and required of Ilinot to lodge the night with her and her lord. Therewith he assented, for was passing weary, though he ate of the apples Susavant gave to him.

And anon Gimeris found the porter of the castle and led him to Ilinot, and Ilinot took the keys from the porter, and delivered the Lord Tanadal unto the Lady Madoine, and they embraced.

And anon the Lord embraced Ilinot, and would have given him half his lands. “For you are a right valiant knight and goodly man,” said the Lord. “And much are my Lady and I beholden to ye, for I weened I should have died in prison.”

But Ilinot would have none, but it was Sir Escanor’s horse. “For I did as all worshipful knights ought. It were shame to me an I had allowed such villainy to endure.”

“And yet, I ween there is some gift you would accept,” the Lord Tanadal said. For it was noised abroad that Ilinot was as mighty in halsing as he was at arms and of Ilinot’s paramours he had heard many tales.

“Ye say truth,” said Ilinot, for Tanadal was a likely man and well made of his limbs.

“Then tell me,” Lord Tanadal said, “what it is, and it is within my power ye shall receive it.”

Right so Ilinot said he desired to lay by the Lord Tanadal. And therewithal either lay by other and made great joy together. Then Tanadal wist well the tales spake true, and that Ilinot was a manly man and the most marvelest lover to ever love Lord or knight.

And when Lady Madoine learned that her Lord Tanadal had lain by Ilinot, she was wroth out of measure. “This was ill-done,” said she, “That my Lord should do me such despite. For I was true and full faithful, and yet thou repay my faith in mischief. Fie on you, Sir Ilinot! Fie on you, my Lord, for your treason and falsehood.”

Thus the Lady Madoine departed from Lord Tanadal unto the Kingdom of Northgalis, where she abode with her brother, Sir Phelot, who was ever after an enemy to all the knights of the Round Table.

On the morn, Ilinot took his leave, and bade Lord Tanadal hie to Camelot for to recount to the court how he had won worship in his fight with the false knight and enchanter. Then he departed.

 


 

And so Ilinot rode hence over many wild ways and over holt and hill, until he was ware afore him was a damosel on a white palfrey making great sorrow out of measure.

Then Ilinot saluted her and said, “Wherefore maketh thou dole, fair damosel?”

“Alas!” said the Damosel, “For mine sorrow is everlasting. For the giant Logrin hath taken my lady while we rode out with her falcon, and I ween she be slain.”

The damosel would not be comforted, but for great love of her lady she continued making sorrow and dole.

“By my faith,” said Ilinot, “It is for to assay with Logrin I rode hither. I require thee to tell me, fair damosel, where dwelleth Logrin?”

“Logrin dwelleth in yonder tower,” said the damosel, “But I pray you, Sir, abide here and go not hither. For if you have encounter Logrin you would sore repenteth it. You are full hard in courage, but Logrin is wonderly strong. He has slain many worthy knights most shamefully, and captured three-score maidens and four-score youths beside.”

But Ilinot put the damosel from him. “I am not afeared,” said he, “And I would liefer die than this giant endureth who doth such shame upon goodly maidens and youths, and who put many worshipful knights to shameful death.”

“Alas,” the damosel cried, “I dread me you shall die in this quarrel.” And withal she swooned in her saddle and fell to the earth, thereby sore wounding her thigh.

By and by Ilinot devised to lay her on his pallet. “I shall ensure she shall not be put to shame or villainy,” he said. “For it would not beseem me to leave a damosel in such a state, though it grieves me sore to await to endeavor with Logrin.”

And within a while a knight passed by and saluted Ilinot, and Ilinot wist by his shield that the knight was Sir Sandeff who was called Angel-Face. Ilinot and Sandeff had held great love for one another at one time, and still betwixt them was there brotherhood, and Ilinot wist well Sandeff would keep the damosel from all villainy and shame.

For there was no knight living that could withstand Sandeff, for he was the fairest man ever lived that none dared missay him nor assay against him, and in battle men weened he was an angel sent from heaven, and dread to set themselves against him.

Then Ilinot saluted Sandeff and called out, “Sir Sandeff! I beseech you, tarry awhile with me.”

“What cheer?” said Sandeff, drawing nigh.

“My squire and I tarry here for the sake of this damosel, who hath through mishap hurt her arm,” said Ilinot. “For otherwise I should go hence and have ado with the giant Logrin.I beseech you, as a most worshipful knight, to bring this damosel safely unto her lady’s manor.”

“Sir,” said Sir Sandeff, “That shall I do as ye have avised.”

Right so Sandeff lifted the damosel on his horse and departed unto the lady’s manor. And as it is told in other tales, after Sandeff Angel-Face brought the damosel to her Lady’s manor he returned unto Camelot. And thereafter Sir Sandeff took Sir Susavant as his paramour, and together they increased so in arms and prowess that it would take another book for to tell of all their noble deeds.

In the meanwhile, Ilinot made him ready for to ride unto Logrin for to do battle.

Gimeris then was sore afraid, but Ilinot said, “Dread you not. For we shall win great honor at this adventure.” And Ilinot and Gimeris departed from that place and rode in all haste unto the giant’s tower.

 


 

Now leave we here Sir Ilinot, and speak we of Aceclador that was the son of the sorceress-queen Acrasia, ruler of the Floating Isle of the fairies.

Acrasia was a wonderly fair lady and much skilled in the arts of enchantment. And she bare a son from a fairy of the sea, and that son was Aceclador.

Now Aceclador was a passing good man of arms and from childhood he had fellowshiped with Evelac, a fairy lord of high estate. And when they grew to manhood Aceclador and Evelac had each plighted their troth to the other.

And it happened one day that Prince Aceclador and Lord Evelac rode unto a fair field to take their ease. And anon Evelac was taken by force by the giant, Logrin and Aceclador was smote to the ground and his horse slain beneath him.

When he awoke, Aceclador was wonderly wroth, and would not tarry, but rode unto the giant’s tower for the deliverance of Lord Evelac.

But Logrin would not yielden Evelac unto him. Therewith Aceclador set upon the giant wood as a lion.

Strove they mightily, foining and tracing, and either hurt the other that blood bespattered the ground, and they were both sore bewounded. But Logrin put Aceclador always aback.

Thus they fought for nigh on an hour, for Sir Aceclador was a goodly knight, but Logrin was hard big for him. And then Logrin gave Aceclador such strokes he swooned and fell nigh to the earth. And there he lay wounded in great jeopardy.

The meanwhile as they fought, Ilinot rode nigh. And Ilinot beheld Aceclador was broad in the shoulders, and large handed, and bare witness to his might. “There is a doughty knight and a noble,” said he, “Me repenteth that such as he should be abashed by so ungoodly a giant.”

Then Ilinot thought to holpen Aceclador and assay the giant. Thus he cried on high: “Giant! By thy mischief thou hast wrought great villainy upon this land and this fair knight. And now defend thee, and let us do the battle to the utterance.”

Therewithal Ilinot put his shield afore his shoulder and drew his sword, and he and Logrin lashed together with great strokes. Ilinot was what for-bled it was a wonder he endured, yet he fought manly and did the battle to the uttermost, and he did great damage unto Logrin with his sword.

Nigh on two hours they strove full hard, and either were wounded sore yet neither would stint, for both were passing wroth. Then anon Ilinot’s shield was forhewn and his hauberk rent that he was naked on every side but he bare Logrin backer and backer.Then at the last Ilinot smote Logrin a great stroke through the helm down unto the navel.

Right so when the giant was overthwart, Ilinot yede to Aceclador and beheld he was grievously wounded. Thus he unlaced Aceclador’s helm and lifted an apple to his mouth and bid him eat.

Then Aceclador ate of the apple, and his bleeding was staunched. And he beheld that Ilinot was a comely youth, tall and well-made, so that he desired to lay by him. “Sir knight,” said he, “Much beholden am I unto you, for had you not quarreled with that giant I should be dead. Pray, I require thy tell me thy name, and of whence thou art?”

“Fair knight, my name is Ilinot, and from the court of my father, King Arthur of Camelot I come on adventure,” said Ilinot. “And I would know thy name, for meseemeth ye be a noble knight of arms. For though the giant for-fared ye, yet ye fought manly.”

“My name is Sir Aceclador,” said Aceclador. “And I hie from the Floating Isles, that is ruled over by my mother, Queen Acrasia. I assailed Logrin for the despite he hath done me by the taking of my leman, whom he hath imprisoned in his tower.”

Thus Ilinot and Aceclador rode unto the giant’s tower and released the prisoners there. And Lord Evelac and Aceclador embraced and made much joy out of measure. And when Ilinot beheld Evelac’s countenance he deemed him passing fair, and wished to lay by him.

And the damosel’s lady was also delivered of her imprisonment, and all the youths and maidens, so that all made great joy at their deliverance. Then Ilinot bade them take of the giant’s treasure what they would, and give the rest to the commons, for to repair the mischief the giant had done them.

By and by Ilinot yede unto the lady’s manor to deliver her in safety to her damosel. Right so the damosel received Ilinot well and gave him passing good cheer. And Ilinot bade the damosel and the lady go unto the court of King Arthur at the feast of Pentecost for to tell how he had vanquished the giant Logrin.

And anon Evelac and Aceclador bade Ilinot take harborage with them for the night. And they led Ilinot to a pavilion near hand that was richly appareled with silk and was passing well beseen at all points. Thus they lodged at the pavilion and each had much plesaunce of the others and halsed each the others in arms.

And when they arose in the morn before they departed, Aceclador prayed that Ilinot would ride with them to the Floating Isle and tarry there a while, for Queen Acrasia was like to receive him wonderly well for the slaying of Logrin.

“I will well,” said Ilinot, for he laid his love upon Aceclador and Evelac and desired to abide with them both.

 


 

Through many ways and by diverse enchantments, Aceclador led Ilinot unto the coasts of Cornwall, and from thence to the Floating Isle. The afore-said isle was first here, then there, so that arriving at it were possible only through enchantments. But Aceclador and Evelac wist the means necessary to arrive unto the Island.

And anon when they had entered the Floating Isle they yede unto the Nameless Castle, wherein Aceclador abided with his mother the Queen. And as they passed the towns and villages there was much wonderment at their return, for all had weened both Evelac and Aceclador slain. Then all the estates high and low made much cheer out of measure at Aceclador’s return and likewise for that of Lord Evelac.

Many it were that joined the throng that made their way to the Nameless Castle. The meanwhile as this was a-doing, the Queen of the Floating Isle swooned upon her bed, for she had great sorrow out of measure, for thought she her son had been slain.

And when Queen Acrasia heard the joyous noise of her people she yede unto the courtyard for to see what was the occasion. By and by when she saw Prince Aceclador and Lord Evelac she embraced them both and wept. And when they had recounted to her the deeds of Ilinot she made him good cheer out of measure and desired him to abide a while as her esteemed guest.

Then were they all assembled unto a chamber and a table laid before them with all that could be desired of meat and of drink. And the Queen beseeched Ilinot to recount his adventures for all the court to hear.

There was much minstrelsy and dancing and all manner of mirth and joy for the deliverance of Prince Aceclador and Lord Evelac, and all the peoples of the Floating Isle praised Sir Ilinot, for his bravery and manliness were matchless.

In the meanwhile the love Ilinot had for Aceclador and Evelac increased, and they all three burned with desire for each, and shared one bed between them. And for all the days of their lives these three held great love for one another that neither man nor spirit could tear them asunder, for they were three hearts joined as one.

Sithen many more adventures did he have besides, earning great honor and worship until the end of his life. But none adventure was so great or so much renowned as his adventure against Logrin, the which brought him to Aceclador and Evelac.

To the Learned Readers:

I direct unto all noble gentlemen and gentlewomen this simple and rude work, in which I who am unworthy have reduced into English this history of the goodly knight Ilinot, a bastard son of Arthur, and his diverse exploits.
I beseech you to hold me for excused for the rendering of it, and grant me pardon if I have erred, for my cunning is full small to enterprise on me so noble a work. But he who shall correct my work wherever fault be found deserves great laud and merit, and I shall pray to the Almighty God that He reward him. And also that all who read this book may thereby increase in them virtue and expel vice that they may amend their living, that after this transitory life they shall come to everlasting life in Heaven.
Amen.
Copyright © 2023 LemonSoda; All Rights Reserved.
  • Love 1
I saw the Arthurian genre had zero stories and couldn't pass up the opportunity to channel my inner Sir Thomas Malory. I welcome critique, as I'm sure there are places I could do a better job of imitating Malory. 
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..