Jump to content
    lofie
  • Author
  • 1,880 Words
  • 585 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Something About You - 1. Potential

It was an early autumn afternoon and for the life of me I just couldn’t concentrate. I was supposed to be writing a paper on woman and their roles in the 16th century. But for the most part I was people watching or rather person watching. I sighed and closed my laptop. Chip, my closest friend, would be waiting for me at my place. By now he would have let himself in and made himself comfortable in my tiny apartment. I could see it now. His feet up on my coffee table, the only thing of value I own besides my laptop, eating the salt and vinegar chips I keep in stock just for him. Despite his level of comfort, he would be pissed that I’m, I looked down at my cell phone, thirty minutes late. I quickly shoved everything into my ratty backpack. I was so focused I didn’t notice a figure had approached my table.

“Would you like the bill?” I froze momentarily. The hair stood up on the back of my neck. I met her warm brown eyes. She smiled. And slapped the bill down on the table. “Any progress?”

“What?” My tongue felt thick and heavy.

“You were working on something right?”

“Oh I…No.” I blushed. Feeling stupid.

“The words will come.” She winked. “I’ll go get the machine.” She twirled around and gracefully walked back to the check out counter. Not for the first time, my eyes followed her.

***

“She spoke to me today.” I announced as I let myself into my apartment. I hung up my backpack on the hook beside the door and kicked off my shoes. Chip looked over at me from the couch.

“Your 45 minutes late.”

“Sorry I was working on an assignment.” I flopped down beside him on the too small canary yellow couch I had bought from a consignment store.

“And stalking that waitress.”

“I don’t stalk, I merely appreciate from a distance.” Chip smirked. Chip was a trans man like me, unlike me, he had no trouble in the dating department. I wasn’t surprised. Chip was blessed with classically androgynous good looks. His strong jaw, tall stature and muscular frame often left others in disbelief when he told them he was trans. He even had a little stubble. I on other hand was still mistaken for a girl even though I’ve been on testosterone for 2 years. He shook his head.

“What did she say?”

“She asked me if I made any progress with my writing.” He arched a brow. “What?”

“I think she was watching you, you should ask her out.” He stuffed a handful of chips in his mouth. “Trust me I know women.” I scoffed.

“You only know women because you have it easy, you pass.”

“Ugh this again.”

“Well It’s true. People don’t know what to make of me. I dress like a guy and yet I look like a prepubescent teenage boy at best.”

“A cute one.” Chip grinned. I rolled my eyes. “Stop putting yourself down. Yes, rejection sucks but if you never step out there and take a chance, you’re shooting yourself in the foot.”

“Hmm catchy saying who said that?”

“I believe it was cupid now get dressed we have a bar to go to.” I looked down at my outfit.

“What’s wrong with my outfit?”

“Your wearing overalls.” Chip rolled his eyes. “Go shower and change and then we’ll get you a nice lady.” I stood up.

“There’s nothing wrong with overalls and there’s only one lady I want.” I mumbled to myself. I could tell Chip had heard by the smile he wore across his face.

***

The bar was trendy, half bar, half club and outfitted with a smallish dance floor and booths. Flannigan’s, it was our favourite place and judging by the crowd it was becoming everybody’s favourite place as well.

“What’s with the crowd.” I asked Chip as we waited at the bar for our cocktails.

“Hey K.” Chip called out to the redhead behind the bar.

“Hey chocolate Chip, hey Rory. The usual?” Chip and I nodded. The usual meant the Friday night drink special; a fruity concoction called a cherry bomb.

“Chocolate Chip huh.” I nudged Chip discreetly. Kathy mostly known as K, focused on our drinks. He glared at me. So it wasn’t my imagination when I noticed them flirting last Friday night at close. “K what’s with the crowd?” She placed down our drinks on the counter.” She looked at me like I was the lamest person in the world.

“Dj Slay is playing tonight.” Chip and I exchanged a glanced then shrugged.

“You two are hopeless. I’ll catch you later Romeo?” She purred. Chip smiled a goofy little grin. I faked a gagging motion as we turned away from the bar. It took us a while to find possibly the last available booth in the joint.

“We have a good thing going here please don’t fuck this up.” Chip’s expression was suspiciously innocent. All the more reason not to trust him. I ran my hands through my disheveled curly hair.

“I don’t know what your talking about.”

“Chip,” I gave him my sternest glare. Chip had a way with the ladies but he had an attention span of toddler. As soon as someone new and shiny came along he had no qualms dumping the current toy. “We never pay cover and we get free drinks. I’m a broke college student this is the life. Also, she’s our friend.” I added softly

“Okay okay.” He ducked his head and looked into the crowd. “It’s not what you think we are just fooling around and K’s a big girl.”

“Well make sure you’re both on the same page.” I sighed It wouldn’t be the first time Chip’s escapades with a lady got us both in trouble. Darlene, a girl Chip hooked up with in high school, still gives me the evil eye every time I see her and we’re in the same program at college.

Chip and I hung out for a while longer until K got off the bar and she came to collect him. I downed the rest of my third free drink and watched them dance. After a while I decided it was time to dance. For me moving while sober was never an option. I’m always too self conscious but get three cherry bombs in me and I was practically Baryshnikov, without the grace. The music was changing from background pop top 40’s to indie electro songs that were melding together perfectly. It was good. I saw a few acquaintances and nodded as I made my way to the back of the floor. I started swaying as the bass crawled up my spine. The beat was infectious. I could see the hype. I looked up at the DJ booth floating above the dance floor. DJ Slay was too far up for me to make out there features. I couldn’t put my finger on it, it was probably just the good music, but something about the DJ was making my body tingle. Yeah it was probably the music and the healthy dose of cherry bombs.

***

I awoke with a mouth full of cotton and a killer headache. I needed coffee stat and greasy dinner food. I moved slowly as I showered, and basically tried to look human. It didn’t work.

‘Meet you at the café at noon.’ My phone buzzed; it was Chip. Chip didn’t have to mention which café, we had our habits.

‘Sure.’ I responded. It was at least 11am but I wanted to get there early there was a certain waitress I wanted to talk to. It probably wasn’t a good idea but watching all those couples on the dance floor last night left me feeling left out. More than a little lonely. I want to try especially if it’s with someone like her. Someone who comes off as really kind and I was enraptured with anyway. Worse case scenario I read the signals wrong but I doubt she’ll laugh in my face. And if she did I could just go to Starbucks to study. My gut rolled over. I picked up my pace. Hopefully the queer gods would smile down upon me and she’ll be working today.

***

Shit she was working today. I stood outside the café and watched her through the glass for a minute before entering. When I did enter the woodwinds above the door chimed and she greeted me with the brightest of smiles. Reflexively I smiled back as my palms grew sweaty. This was it. The café was pretty much empty, so I sat down at my usual table and took out my laptop. It didn’t take her long to come over.

“Hey. You look like you had a fun night.” She grinned. “Coffee?” I groaned.

“Is that a polite way of saying the bags under my eyes make me look hungover? Because I totally am.” I chuckled. “And yes, coffee please.”

“I didn’t notice any bags.” She paused and I held my breath. “You have really great skin.” She lowered her voice. I felt my face colour. “I’ll be back with a menu.”

“I-I already know whet I want.” My voice came out rushed.

“Okay what would you like?” She flipped open her note pad. I cleared my throat.

“The breakfast special and coffee of course.” She nodded.

“Anything else?”

“Um yea.”

“Yea?” Her expression was open and curious.

“I’m Rory.” I blurted out.

“Hi Rory, I’m Leesa is it ok if I put in your order then we can continue this conversation.”

“Sure.” I said as if my heart wasn’t beating a mile a minute.

I watched her hips sway as she walked back to the register. She was really something else, with her olive complexion, friendly brown eyes and full lips. She was tall too at least 5’9, a couple inches taller than me. Describing her as beautiful would be an understatement. She was more than that.

“Hey Rory, you wanted to talk.” Her eyes were playful. I hadn’t noticed her return I was staring at my laptop.

“Um, I, um.” I felt myself blushing as I struggled to get the words out.

“Take a breath.” She placed her hand on top of mine. I froze as my eyes zeroed in on where she touched me. How was I supposed to breathe? She smiled gently and removed her hand.

“i-“ I let out a breath. “What are doing this Friday?” Before she could answer the chime on the door rang. I groaned as I heard Chip talking loudly to K. Her eyes filled with mirth. She scribbled something on her notepad.

“Looks like your friends are here.” She slapped the paper on the table just as Chip and K found us. I quickly pocketed the paper. Chip looked between us suspiciously.

“I’ll be back with your coffee.” Her smile was bright, I felt like she was touching me, and then she left us.

“What was that about?” K asked. I beamed as happiness burbled within me.

“Did someone take my advice?’’

“Maybe.” He smirked.

“I expect details.” I paused and looked closely at his hair.

“Since when do you have purple hair?”

Copyright © 2020 lofie; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Thanks for reading!
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I like your characters! I haven't read many stories with transgender characters, so that will add an extra dimension for me. Oh to be young again and in college and looking for love. Or not. I am curious to find out about their families and how they get along. This is an interesting beginning, and I'll be sticking around to get answers to a few questions I have. Thanks. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
38 minutes ago, JeffreyL said:

I like your characters! I haven't read many stories with transgender characters, so that will add an extra dimension for me. Oh to be young again and in college and looking for love. Or not. I am curious to find out about their families and how they get along. This is an interesting beginning, and I'll be sticking around to get answers to a few questions I have. Thanks. 

Thanks for the lovely comment JeffreyL I’m glad you’re liking the story so far. I’m still undecided about whether or not this will be a short story but I’m trying to improve my character development skills so looks like it might be on the longer side. Anyways I do hope all your questions get answered 😁.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..