Jump to content
    Luc
  • Author
  • 448 Words
  • 996 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Interlude - 7. Chapter 7

Until Our Bodies Touch Again


I don’t know how long I lay in his arms. Time had stopped for me. It had stopped the moment I had spoken his name. “Andrew.” I said it again, and it caressed my tongue as it slipped softly through my lips.

I pulled away from him, left the warmth and comfort of his chest and lay on my back. I stared up at the ceiling. “I’m married, have two daughters.” He hadn’t asked. Who was I really saying that to? Maybe I was reminding myself.

He propped himself up on one elbow, his head resting on his hand. He looked at me, his eyes searching mine as if they were searching my soul, reaching inside me, looking for something. “And you are happy?” Still he searched my eyes, as if looking to find the answer in them—not in my words.

Was I happy? I knew it wasn’t an idle question and I didn’t want to give him an idle answer. I looked away from his eyes. Their scrutiny was too much. I knew he could see my answer, but it wasn’t the answer I wanted, wasn’t the answer I wanted to give him. I shut my eyes tightly and pictured Joanne and Sarah and Jess. I smiled when I pictured my daughters. Was I happy? I opened my eyes and looked at him.

“Happy enough.” And I was. Not deliriously happy. Not so happy that nothing else in the world mattered. Not so happy that I wouldn’t regret his walking out that hotel room door every day for the rest of this life. But I was happy. Happy enough.

He smiled, and it was a slightly sad smile, but one of complete comprehension. Funny how he had always seemed to be able to look into my eyes and understand me completely. Funny how I thought it was “always.”

He ran a finger along the line of my cheek.

“David, our souls will always seek each other. We are two halves of one whole. We are destined to be together, if not in this life then the next, or the next. But we will always be together. In our dreams our lips will brush. In eternity our souls will entwine.”

He leaned closer and again I saw my reflection in his eyes. And in that reflection, I could see his reflection. Like the endless reflections of two mirrors face to face, stretching into infinity, into eternity. And I had a sense of his words, a feeling of their truth. And the writer in me, the would-be poet captured those words and vowed to hold them until our bodies touched again.
Copyright © 2011 Luc; All Rights Reserved.
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..