Jump to content
    Lugh
  • Author
  • 545 Words
  • 1,190 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Testify This - 1. Testify This



Short Stories

 

By Lugh

He sat silently, a wooden boy on a cold, stone bench, as they told him he would have to testify against his love. His puppet head jerked on its string as his jaw refused to move in protest. They told him he was the victim. Then they patted him on the head, the shoulders, and the back, telling him to be strong before asking if he would be all right in his room until the arraignment the next morning. His heart screamed in agony; but his wooden mouth remained clamped shut, and his head, again, nodded.

His feet lifted one after the other as he walked away. His hands swung at his sides in what he assumed was a normal manner. He felt trapped in his own body, as if someone else were making him move. In his room, he sat on the edge of the bed and considered what they wanted from him -- to turn state's evidence against his lover. It was not fair. He had seduced him not the other way around. He took two deep breaths and considered his options. Two more breaths later, the answer was clear. Without the evidence, there was no case.

A short time later, he was ready to begin disposing of the evidence.

It should hurt more than this, he thought as the blade carved a gash in his left forearm that split muscle and tendons down to the bone. Crimson stained his wooden arm as his brain failed to make his fingers move. His hand flopped uselessly on his wrist; its string was broken. He stared at it, and the growing red pool around it. It really should hurt more.

He placed the blade between his knees once he figured out that his hand would not work; then he set his jaw, and placed his palm against the blood-smeared blade. He knew, from experience now, the first part was the hardest. The blade had to bite deep or it would not work. Gripping the handle between his knees he pressed until he felt the flesh begin to separate. His hand twitched as the first of the strings began to snap. Then there was pain. Wet streaks flowed down his cheeks where only sawdust had been before. He saw a glimpse of white bone between the red lips of the second gash as his life dripped off his elbow. The blade slipped from between his knees. He could not grab it, even if he had wanted to.

Soon it would hurt no more. He smiled to himself, proud he had devised the perfect way to keep from having to turn state's witness. They had told him they could force him to testify. No one could force the dead to talk. No one except maybe God and he thought He would understand why he wanted to keep his silence on this subject. He would not condemn an innocent man. They could not make him. He was not a puppet on a string.

The room was getting colder now. The stain of his life spread around him. Darkness was closing in. He smiled. They would not win; not this time.

He closed his eyes and let the darkness come.


 



Care to Comment?

Copyright © 2010 Lugh; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Oh no... I think my heart shattered now. I've just been reading a similar story from the other side and this just hit the nerve after it. But still, ending a life, a foolish sacrifice for love '*weeps**. The wooden boy, how appropriate. It is said that the truth is carved in the stone, but wood bends and twists easily, so even if our wooden boy here feels he was the seducer, is that the whole truth?

Link to comment

Darn. You dragged me in again. I hate that the wooden boy felt suicide was the only possible outcome. Naturally we don't know the whole story but the snap shot we are given is heart breaking. Your word choice and ability to pour so much into so few words is a gift.

Link to comment
On 03/25/2011 05:03 AM, said:
Darn. You dragged me in again. I hate that the wooden boy felt suicide was the only possible outcome. Naturally we don't know the whole story but the snap shot we are given is heart breaking. Your word choice and ability to pour so much into so few words is a gift.
thank you.

 

in flash fiction word choice is a must. sorry to have dragged you in again, but glad you got drug along.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..