Jump to content
    lvlrogueone
  • Author
  • 3,681 Words
  • 910 Views
  • 1 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Unexpected Events - 2. Chapter 2: Lawyers and Friends

It felt like I had sat in that chair for hours, I was completely speechless. After a couple minutes, I asked Jon the main question that was in my head.

"Why did Ida leave me with everything when she has a son?"

Jon pulled out an envelope with my name on it. He said to me, "Ida told me that she would be the only one that would be able to explain it to you."

I opened the envelope and pulled out the hand written letter from Ida.

Dear Alden,

You may be wondering why I left everything to you in my will. Originally, my son Christopher was to receive everything. He has been very greedy these past few years though. I want this money to be put to good use and not used to buy another vacation home in Europe or a private jet. I chose you because you treated me very kindly when you worked at my home. You treated me with respect like any other older woman and not because of my large house and wealth. I came to view you as the grandson I have never had. You cooked fabulous meals, cleaned, and spent time playing games with me. My son never attempted to show any form of kindness for me. You deserve this money Alden and I know you will spend it wisely. Never let anyone put you down.

Ida

I was so full of emotion, I was given this money just because I was kind and caring to her. I had no idea what to do next.

I looked up at Jon and said, "I'm still shocked by this but I will make sure that I cherish what she did for me with this."

"I'm glad to hear it Alden. There are some papers for you to sign and things should all be set in motion. Soon you will be having twenty-five million dollars in your possession. I doubt you will have to worry about rent anytime soon." Jon told me laughing at the end.

With a small smile I set to work on signing all the papers he put in front of me, after twenty minutes I was finally finished. I gave Jon a handshake and got up to leave. As I got to the door I realized something.

Looking back at Jon I asked him, "Does Ida's son Christopher know about her stiffing him in the will?"

Jon laughed and said, "Not yet. I told him that he would have to wait until next week. I have been wanting to be the bearer of bad news to him for ages. I personally never liked the asshole so I want to make him squirm."

I laughed, "Oh, sounds like someone I know in my life. Hope you have a great Friday night Jon."

"Alden, would you like to join my wife and me tonight for dinner? I want to do something since I clearly must have woken you up this morning. I'm surprised you didn't want to deck me when you came in earlier," Jon told me while smiling.

"Jon you don't need to do that." I sighed.

Jon pleaded, "Please Alden, accept my apology with dinner. We are going to River's Edge. I was told that they got a special shipment in from the coast. A chef like you couldn't pass that up."

He hand my hands tied and I thought I'd never get to go to River's Edge in my life. He definitely has that lawyer charm as I expected.

Conceding defeat I told him, "Ok, I'll go, you conniving lawyer."

Laughing he said, "I think we'll turn into the best of friends at the end of the night. Meet us at seven at the restaurant."

I nodded my head and left to go back home. As I returned home and slumped onto the couch the shock of today came back to me again as my mind wandered. I needed my two best friends to talk about this so I texted Vince and Katie for them to get to my apartment ASAP.

Katie had been my friend longer than Vince. We met when I lived in Pittsburgh starting on my culinary degree. I was barely eighteen at the time and very naive of the big city life. My cousin Beth, was living there too at the time. Katie was part of Beth's group of friends at the time and we just hit it off. She followed me after I got my degree and ran away from the city. If it wasn't for her help, I would doubt I would be alive today.

Being around Katie and Vince for so long I picked up a few of their habits. With Vince, I have more of a backbone, and with Katie I have knowledge that bad things in life never lasts. I knew with them around they will help me with the biggest surprise I have ever had.

I heard the door open and slam downstairs with two pairs of feet coming up the stairs to my door. I saw that they must have rushed here seeing that a half hour passed from my text.

The two of them came bursting into my living room with concern on their face. They know when I say ASAP that it’s really important. The last time I used it was when my ex broke up with me two years ago.

Before they could ask anything I told them, "I got big news. I got a call from a lawyer this morning. He told me to stop by today to discuss it. You'll never guess what it was about."

Vince already been told this earlier so he asked, "You didn't get sued because of that Mrs. Clendening did you?"

I shook my head no as Katie sat down beside me on the sofa. Knowing the look on my face, she asked, "Alden, did she die?"

I nodded my head and said, "It’s not just that. She had me in her will, she left me everything. Twenty-five million dollars is now going to be mine."

Vince yelled out, "This has to be some kind of joke. You’re pulling our leg."

Katie smacked Vince in the stomach, causing him to yelp. She knows I never joke about something like this.

I pulled out the copy of the papers that I signed today, along with Ida's letter to them. After a few minutes reading the papers, both of their mouths was hanging open in shock.

Katie spoke first, "Alden, I understand why you’re shocked, but you deserve this money. Vince and I know how much you cared about Ida. You’re the most selfless person we know."

Vince, with a small smile, tried to lighten the mood and asked, "What are you going to do with this money? I know your paying for all the meals when we go out for now on."

After a quick slap from both Katie and me to the sides of Vince's head, I remembered that I was going to dinner with Jon and his wife in a couple hours from now. I needed their help to get an outfit for tonight.

"Guys, I just remembered that the lawyer Jon, invited me to dinner tonight at River's Edge, with him and his wife. I need a suit to get in there. Can you help me?" I asked them.

Seeing both of their eyes light up, made me want to rethink asking them for help. I had a feeling that I was going to be their project for the evening. Vince grabbed my arm and dragged me out the door, with Katie following us out to the parking lot in front of the apartment building. Once we got to Katie's VW Beetle, Katie prodded me to get into the backseat, while Vince got to ride in front.

"Why do I have to be in the backseat?" I whined to Katie.

Vince turned to face me and said, "Because we know you too well, Alden. You will get cold feet like you usually do when it comes to letting us help you with your wardrobe. You give excuses every time we try to expand your wardrobe beyond plaid or striped tops and khaki shorts. Also, you can't use the "I need to watch my money excuse" this time. You’re going to pull out that damned credit card you haven't used in over a year and let us do our magic. We will have you looking so hot that the single men tonight will be all over you. Now, sit down, be happy, and enjoy the damn ride."

For the rest of the ride I was quiet, listening to the radio. Soon, we pulled up to a local men's suit shop in the South Hills neighborhood.

As we were walking to the entrance Katie told me, "I know the guy here that will cut you a good deal. You will have to deal with a suit off the rack for tonight. His name is Samuel and he’s the best at what he does. You will love what he can do."

Katie is the only one out of the three of us that has a good paying job. With her working at the county courthouse, she has many connections with the higher classes around the city.

Once inside, it felt like I wasn't in a suit shop but a room full of mirrors and seating. Greeting us was Samuel giving Katie a big hug.

"Katie, it’s so great to see you. It’s been too long. Every time I see you I wish they your gorgeous blonde hair in a bottle. What brings you here with these handsome men?” Samuel asked as he noticed Vince and I.

With the way his eyes scoped out Vince's body, I had no doubt he played for the rainbow team. I would admit that Vince is hot with his spiked rocker-style hair and tight fitting clothes that show every tight muscle of his swimmers body. I was surprised a hole wasn't burned into the front of his jeans.

"We are here because my friend, Alden here, is going to River's Edge tonight. I know it’s not enough time for a suit to be tailored for him, on short notice like this. Could you help with something that could be rented for tonight?" Katie told Samuel as she gestured to me.

Tearing his eyes away from Vince, he looked me over and with a smile on his face, after a few seconds in thought, he said, "Wonderful! I just got a suit in that I think will do you justice tonight. If you like it, we can do a quick temporary hem that will work."

As he left to go into the back I told Vince, "If Katie or me wasn't here, little Sammy would be down on your dick faster than a fat woman after the last piece of cake.”

Katie busted out laughing, while Vince gave me a playful smile and replied, "I noticed that. I can always use my charms to get a lower price for you. Although, you can afford the full price now."

Katie and I were giggling as Samuel came back with a white garment bag. He gestured for me to go into the dressing room to his right. As I unzipped the bag and seen the suit, I was doubtful about the whole thing. I got into the outfit anyway, to please my friends.

After I was dressed, I came out of the dressing room. Vince was wide eyed and Katie looked to be on the verge of squealing. Samuel looked me over in an approving smile and checked out the fitting. It was a little long on the sleeves for my liking and the pants was definitely going to need a quick pin up. After several minutes he was done.

"There we are. This will be great for you tonight." Samuel said as he swiveled my body around to face a mirror.

I had to admit that I looked damned good as I looked at myself in different positions. The suit had a slim fit that showed off my broad shoulders, muscular legs and definitely gave my ass some much needed attention. I felt like I grew a few inches with the way it looked on me as well. I saw a rare genuine smile on my face.

Out of pure impulse, I told Samuel, "I want you to have a suit made for me. Do whatever you think would look great on my body."

Samuel smiled and said, "I love when a customer gives me free reign on my creativity. I'll just get you a few accessories and shoes for tonight and we can get everything wrapped up for the day."

Samuel ran into the back as Vince nudged me and I turned to look at my friends. Vince and Katie was shocked that I didn't have one negative thing to say. I think my willingness to throw down money on a rental suit and a suit to own, shocked Vince more than anything. I knew he was right that I needed to let the moths out of my wallet. Even if I wasn't given the twenty-five million dollars I could pay this pretty easily with the money I have in my savings account.

"Do I even know you?" Vince questioned me.

I raised one eyebrow to him and said, "I'm just doing what you told me to do."

"I can't be any more proud of you because of that." Katie imputed, as she gave me a hug.

Samuel came back out and was able to get me set up. I pulled out my credit card with only a slight wince on paying for the rental. After I agreed to show up on Monday for measurements on my suit, we all thanked him for helping me out.

I noticed it was dark as we left and checked the time. With time running out before dinner with Jon, we hurried into the car. Vince jumped into the backseat with me to help me get ready. With his large bag of supplies, by the time Katie pulled up to the restaurant, I was looking the best I ever had up until that point. After a promise to meet up at the club next weekend, they left.

River's Edge sits literally on the edge of the Kanawha River. With the views of the riverfront and the lights of the city at night brings a wonderful ambiance to your dining experience. Ok, that sounded like an advertisement but it’s true. I could hardly believe that I was about to enter the best restaurant in the city.

As I neared the entrance I saw Jon standing next to a gorgeous red haired woman that had to be his wife. Jon was still in his suit from the office but you never could have noticed. His wife was in a long periwinkle blue gown that paired beautifully with her dark red hair and fair skin. She was wearing simple silver jewelry, it was just enough to show she had money but not in the overly done gaudy way.

Jon, with a friendly smile, shook my hand and said, "It’s great that you're here, Alden. You are shined up like a penny fresh from the mint. This is my lovely wife, Anne."

With a surprisingly firm grip, Anne shook my hand as well and said, "It is great to meet you Alden. I apologize for the excitement that my husband gave you today. You will love dinner tonight, I heard that the chef just received lobster and Stripped Bass that was caught just this morning in Maine. For a city like Charleston to get seafood that fresh is a rare treat."

I laughed and told her, "I can’t wait to try it."

"Well let’s get inside before all the seafood is taken. I have been starving all afternoon." John said clapping his hands together.

We entered into the restaurant and were guided to a table at a window overlooking the river's shimmering waters. The dining area was set up in a simple modern design. The walls were in light shades of white and tan colors that was pleasing to the eye and gave a feel of openness and warmth. Our table had a small colorful glass bowl with tea lights floating in water. I looked around and each table had a unique bowl with tea lights just like ours. I knew if I ever opened a restaurant I would want to do something like this restaurant does.

We all ordered the lobster, which was paired with a lovely bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. I never been a fan of seafood but couldn't pass up lobster that fresh and still be in West Virginia. It was one of the best dinners I had in my life.

We quickly fell into conversations that lasted well throughout the evening. I learned about John and Anne's life. John was raised, with his brother and sister, in a lapsed Catholic household in the upper class area of South Hills near where Ida lived. Jon followed his father's footsteps and became a lawyer but doesn't aspire to be the high profile lawyer his father is. Jon dated Anne throughout high school and they were married as soon as they moved back to Charleston after college.

Anne grew up, like me, in a lower class family where money wasn't easy to come by. John's parents had no problems at all with them dating, the way that Jon talks his parents treat her better than their own children. Anne works as an accountant with one of the large firms in the city. She is slowly working to be independent and have her own business. She, like Jon, would rather have a simple life compared to the majority of their colleagues in their careers.

As we was winding down for the night, Jon and I was starting to talk about business. "Alden, There is a small issue that I think will come up." Jon told me over dessert.

"What is that Jon?" I asked concerned.

“Its Ida's son, Christopher. I believe he may try to contest the will. He doesn't have any standing with the way the will is laid out. It will be a couple months before everything is settled but I can assure you that everything will go smoothly." Jon assured me.

"I have complete faith in you Jon." I told him, with a smile.

"Well, that is also the other part. I was going to ask if you wanted to keep me on as your lawyer or if you would like me to refer you to one of my colleagues. What do you think?" Jon asked.

Without needing to think I enthusiastically said, "Jon, after tonight and getting to know you and your wife, I couldn't choose a man better than you to be my lawyer. With your charisma, you could charm the pants off of anyone in the room and that is something you don't find every day."

I paused and added, “There is one more thing to tell you both, before we all agree to this.”

With a confused look on Jon’s face he asked, “What would that be Alden?”

I took a deep calming breath before I said to them, “I’m gay.”

Anne wasn’t showing any shock at my statement but John was laughing. I was getting offended before he said, “That’s it? Alden, I have no problem with you being gay. My younger brother is gay. Just because I live in West Virginia doesn’t mean that I am a bigot. If you thought that you being gay would change my opinion on you you’re sadly mistaken.”

I was so relieved that they weren’t bothered by the fact I was gay. There was more tolerant people in this state than I thought.

As we both shook hands on our agreement, a thought cropped up in my head.
"Jon, I would definitely need an accountant with all of this. I have almost no clue with numbers outside of what I know at work. I know that I need someone to keep Uncle Sam from carrying me away."

Anne spoke up and said, "I have some great contacts that I would be able to get you a wonderful accountant."

Maybe it was the good and friendly mood around my two newest friends that I told Anne, "Why don't you be my accountant? You plan on branching out on your own. I could be your first client. It would be a win win scenario."

She was slightly surprised and asked, "Are you sure? I do think it is a good idea. Hopefully our new friendship will be an asset."

"I am completely sure, Anne. Let’s shake on it now and we can make it official next week. We can sign the papers, along with Jon's, at his office."

As business was settled and the night was coming to a close, we settled the bill between John, Anne, and I. John called up a cab and paid for my trip home. We all said our goodbyes for the night and separated. Soon my cab pulled up to take me home.

As I relaxed in the backseat for the trip home, I recalled the day. It was hard to believe how crazily my life changed in one day. Looking back on it now, this day was only the beginning to the excitingly, dangerous, and wonderful events ahead for me.

Thanks again to Ryan Michael and my editor Rachel and a few other friends to help bounce around ideas. Hope you all enjoyed another chapter. Look forward to see what else can come out of my head for this story. I take all responsibility for final editing with my story and apologize for any errors that you may find.
Copyright © 2017 lvlrogueone; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..