Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Christmas Elves - 3. Chapter 3

Rejection of brothers, small amount of cussing, tears.

“Is my brother awake?” I ask, hopeful.

“No sweetie,” the nurse says as she puts a thermometer in my mouth.

“Hwookk,is he,” I try to say with the thermometer in my mouth.

“Shhh,” the nurse says as she holds my wrist, “no talking and hold that under you young,” she commands me as she looks at her watch. “Hmmm,” she says as she drops my wrist and writes something on a clip board, taking out the thermometer and looking at it says, now what did you ask,”she says as she make a face and writes something else down.

“I said, how is my brother?,” I ask impatiently.

“There is no change,” she informs me, “you have a slight fever, how are you feeling?” She asks while tucking my blankets in.

“I’m fine,” I say and wiggle back and forth, “that’s too tight,” I complain, “it’s making me hot,” I inform her. “You need to keep warm,” we don’t want that fever of yours to get worse,” and tucks me back in, “now stop fussing,” she commands, “the doctor will be in to see you in a few minutes,” she says.

“Please tell the doctor that my brother needs ice,” I insist, “lots of ice, otherwise he will never find his way home,” I claim.

“Well,” she says with a weird look on her face, “I don’t know about that,” she admits, “but you can tell the doctor yourself,” she says as she starts to leave.

“Wait!” I say, “when can I see my brother again?” I ask, needing to see him desperately.

“You don’t need to worry about him,” she informs me, “he has some of the best doctors in the state looking after him,” she says proudly, I am not reassured and it does not make me feel any better, I wonder why grownups always never want to tell us kids anything useful.

“I have other patients to look after, just push the buzzer if you need anything ,” she tells, “but don’t abuse it,” she commands me, “you are not the only little boy on this ward,” she reminds me and walks out the door closing it on the way out.

I wiggle back and forth and get loose from the covers and throw them aside, “wow, it’s hot in here,” I say to the empty room, looking around not much has changed and I reach for the remote control and pause, right next to it is the dreaded letter. “Why did I ever write that cursed thing” I say under my breath.

“Hello young Chad, how are we today?” The doctor asks as he comes into the room and taking the chart from the end of my bed.

“I’m fine,” I say, don’t know how you are,” I respond trying to be funny.

“I’m very good,” he says glancing at, “thanks for asking,” he says with a wink.

“Why does everyone keep winking at me?” I ask before I can stop myself.

“Oh,” he says, “do they?,” he asks, without a wink this time.

“Yes they do,” I respond, ‘I don’t mind, I was just curious is all,” I say, not sure if it bothers me or not.

“Well young Chad,” he starts, “ sometimes grownups think young boys like to be winked at,”he explains, “I can tell them not to if it makes you uncomfortable,” he says to me and gets a strange look in his eyes.

“It’s ok,” I tell him, not wanting him to be mad or whatever, “are you my brothers doctor too?” I ask him.

“Who’s your brother?” He asks me as he looks over the paper work in his hands.

“Chris,” I tell him with hope in my voice.

“Ummm,” he says and seems to think it over, “no, I don’t think so,” he admits, “I can find out and tell you if you like,” he claims.

“Can I see him?” I ask, “how is he doing?, is he going to be ok?,,,,” I start rattling off questions and he stops me with a hand gesture.

“Slow down,” he commands me, “I’m not his doctor, but I’m sure he is in the best hands possible,” he says, “we have some of the best doctors in the state here,” he says proudly,” but that doesn’t make me feel any better, “I’m here to check on you,”he informs me as he takes out his stethoscope and lifts my shirt, “breath in deeply and hold it,” he says and puts a very cold stethoscope against my chest making me jump.

“That’s really cold,” I complain.

“Oh, sorry,” he says as he keeps listening, “be still and take deep breaths,” he commands me and moves it to different places across my chest. “Well that sounds good,” he proclaims, looking at me face and feeling my forehead with his hand and consults his chart, writing something down, he feels my neck and writes something else down.

“What are you writing,” I say trying to see the clip board he writing on.

“Oh just some doctor stuff,” he says as he clips it on the foot of the bed, “you have slight fever, I’m going to prescribe you something to try to get it to come down,” he says, “have been having any stomach pains?” He asks as he fells my belly, pushing here and there.

“No,” I say, “but they won’t let me eat anything,” I say.

“They won’t let you eat?” He says look at me now concerned.

“No,” I say, “they are starving me,” I claim and make puppy dog eyes.

He looks at my chart again and says, “I see here you are getting the Pedi-sure prescribed and all the supplements ,” he confirms as he looks at me.

“Yeah,” I say, “but that’s not eating, it’s drinking,” I admit, “I want to eat real food, not a shake,” I complain, “but t does taste pretty good, it’s just not the same,” I claim.

“You were in a coma for a long time and we have to be sure your body is ready for solid food, “he informs me,” I put on a sad face and he adds, “I’ll see what I can do,” he promises and returning the chart he tells me, “drink as much water as you can,” and turns to leave the room.

“What about my brother.” I ask real quick before he can run away.

“I’ll see what I can find out,” he claims and then leaves the room closing the door behind him.

I lean over to the end of the bed and take my chart and open and read it, it makes almost no sense to me, I can see my name and stuff I know already,, but the rest is gibberish, placing it back I push myself back up to my pillow and grab the remote and start to turn on the TV and stop, wondering if I want to see what I saw the last time I turned it on. I just stare at the remote in my hand unsure what I should do.

“Hi Chad,” a new nurse walks in and sees me holing the remote and asks, “do you want me to show you how it works?”

“I know how it works, l say irritated, “I’m not stupid,” I say in a angry tone of voice.

“Sorrrry,” she says, “someone is grumpy this morning,” she states and hands me a little cup with pills in and commands me to take them.

“I don’t have any water,” I point out and she pours a cup of water from the pitcher on the bed side table.

“What’s this” I say as I take the cup, holding it in my hand examining the pills.

“It’s medicine to make you feel better,” she claims, “don’t give me any trouble, or I’ll have to give it to you in a shot,” she threatens me.

“Fine,” I snap and take the pills, “but if this is poison, my mom will sue you and you’ll get fired,” I say as I slam the cup down on the side table.

The nurse says something under her breath and picks up my chart appears to study it for a minute before putting its its place, “that’s what I thought,” she says under her breath, but loud enough for me to hear.

“What?” I snap, “what does it say there?,” I ask, “I read it and it’s only gibberish,” I admit.

“You are not allowed to read your chart,” she informs me.

“What?, ,Why?” It’s my chart,” I protest.

“Because that’s the rules,” she claims.

“What did you mean,” I ask, starting to get angry, “that’s what I thought,” repeating her words from a minute ago.

“You’ll see,” she says with a smirk in her face and takes the empty cup and walks out of the room and closes the door behind her, leaving me staring intently at the closed door fuming. “Why did I get so mad?” I ask myself waiting for an answer I know will not come. Picking up the remote I turn the TV on to see Donald Duck and watch as he is driving his silly looking car and soon I am engrossed in the show.

I find myself getting sleepy and try as I might, I’m unable to stay awake, the remote drops from my hand and clatters to the floor with a clatter, the channel changes to a news station, but I don’t notice as I drift off to sleep.

 

Christmas music is playing from a hidden speaker and I’m constructing an I-phone, a pink one with sparkles, this is a hard job, the sparkle fall off so easy and you can have just a pink phone, not from Santa, I think as I work.

“Chad!” I hear from an excited voice, “you came back!” Ben proclaims and gives me the biggest hug ever.

“I never left,” I claim as I stare at him like he has lost his mind.

“Ummm,,,yeah you did,” he claims, “I’ve never seen anyone return once they are gone,” he states plainly.

“I,,,, umm,,,” I start and stop realizing that I was gone, I think, it’s getting confusing, “oh yeah I guess I did,” I stammer, “I almost forgot,” wondering how I could forget and then questioning here , was I home?, I ask myself in my head. I look down at my hands holding the sparkly pink I-Phone, “now how does this thing work?” I as in a whisper.

“Don’t you know?” Ted asks, “I didn’t think you were gone that long,” he claims, “you better go see Santa,” he informs me, “he’ll know what to do,” he claims and points to the door.

I get up and walk in a trance, “I know I’ve made this walk before, but,,,,” I say under my breath, opening the round door I know what I’m going to see and sure enough, there are gum drop lanes and candy candy fence posts everywhere. I see the great tree standing well over a hundred feet high all decked out in Christmas decorations, I stare in awe as I walk down the land to Santa’s house, I know before I get there it will be a gingerbread house with the smell of all things sweet and good, but this is not real, or is it? I think to myself as I knock on the door. I wait and hear nothing, I open the door slowly afraid I will see an empty desk with a mug on it and an elf will step out from behind it and call me a young elf, but no one is there, pausing I close the door from the cold?, is that right? I hear a sound from behind the door on the other wall and slowly approach it tentatively.

“Buy,, why can’t I?” I hear a small voice from behind the door.

“COME IN CHAD!” I hear a loud but familiar voice from behind the door calling to me.

“Hello?” I say weakly as I open the round door.

“Yes,, yes,,” Santa says, “come in before you let the cold out,” and gestures me sit down in front of the massive desk.

“CHRIS!” I proclaim excitedly, “it’s me Chad,” I say and then hesitate when I see him just staring at me, “what’s the matter little brother, cat got your tongue?” I ask.

Chris turns and looks at Santa, “is he new?” He asks with a confused look on his face.

“Christopher, this is your brother,” Santa informs him, Chris looks from me to Santa and back again, looking at me intensely, “I,,,,,don’t think,,,,,” he stammers, “is he an elf in training like me?” He inquires, “ahhhh,, now I remember,” he states, and I get excited.

“YOU REMEMBER!” I proclaim loudly making Chris cover his ears with his small hands, I don’t remember his hands being so small, I think as I look him over and further realize he’s a lot smaller than he used to be.

Chris step back and hides behind Santa, “I don’t like him,” he tells Santa in a hushed voice, “he is too loud,” he complains.

“Christopher,” Santa says with a kind and gentle voice, “we talked about this many times since you got here,” he reminds the boy, “Chad is your brother, he came here before you,” he starts to explain once again, but Chris interrupts him.

“I don’t have a brother,” he protests, “I’m like all the elves here, “ he whines, “all the Elves here are my brothers and sisters ?” He asks more than states, “I have to go, “he claims as he jumps up from the chair and rushes out of the room like he is on fire.

I watch him run away and am stunned, not believing what I just say, “Santa?” I ask, “why am I here?,” and how did I get here?,” I ask in a loud voice and suddenly put my hand over my mouth, “I am loud,” I say through my hands, “an elf didn’t visit me this time,” I admit.

“Hmmm,,,,,” Santa says as he fingers his beard, “this is quite perplexing,” he admits, “I’ve never seen this before, but it is a big problem,” he confesses, “we can’t have strays popping in and out of here like popcorn,” he admits.

“Hey,,,,!!” I screech as I feel myself getting lighter and lighter, starting to float to the ceiling, “what’s happing?” I ask as I float farther and farther away, the ceiling seems to be getting taller and taller, “WHAT DO I DO?” I yell at Santa, he looks so small from how high I am, this is impossible, I think to my self as I feel a soft cushion under my back.

“Ice is not the answer,” I hear a distant voice say as I feel my weight return,.

“Time to wake up Young Chad,” says a voice from over me, I open my eyes and see a tall lanky man staring down at me, “that’s right,” he says, “you are ok,” he says softly.

“Where is Santa and where is Chris,” I demand as I starry to come fully awake.

“Santa?” says the lanky man, “Christmas is still two weeks away,” he informs me, “I suppose he’s at the North Pole,” he tells me, “your brother is, I’m happy to say is in good shape,” he informs me, “the doctors tell me he is expected to make a full recovery after his accident,” he says with a fake smile on his face.

“I want to see him,’ I demand, “he’s my brother and I have a right to see him, it’s in the constitution,” I claim as I start to sit up, intending to go find him this second.

“Not so fast young Chad, can I call you Chad?” He asks me, as if I have another name.

“Ummm,,,,yeah,” I say, wondering who this weird man is, “what else would you call me?” I ask as I stare him in the face, “did you see Santa?” He didn’t answer my question,” I state plainly.

“No, I must have just missed him,” he says with an amusing look on his face, “but since you brought up Santa, maybe we can talk about him,” he asks, “would that be alright?”

“I’m not aspoosed to talk to strangers,” I inform him.

“Supposed to,” he corrects me, “su-posted-to,” he reiterates to me.

“Appossed to, supposed to” I say, “who cares, “you’re still a stranger,” I remind him sarcastically.

“Forgive me Chad,” he says with a frown on his face, “I’m doctor Wise,” he tells as he offers his hand to shake, I automatically take his hand and shake it, “wow that’s quite a grip you got there,” as he pretends to cringe with pain, I just roll my eyes.

“I’ve never met a doctor like you before,” I tell him straight out, “are you my brothers doctor?” I say with hope in my voice.

“No, I’m your doctor,” he says, “I’m a psychologist,” he informs me, “do you know what that is?” he asks.

“Ummm,,” I say thinking, “are you going to give me a shot?” I ask putting my arms under the covers.

“I’m not that kind of doctor,” he tells, “I just want to talk with you and get to know you,” he says, hedging, “I thought we could be friends, and share our feelings and concerns,” he tells me and just looks at me like I’m supposed to say something, I just sit there and look at my hands under the blanket for a minute.

“Ok,” I say, after a while, “do you know where people go who are in a coma?” I ask him, still looking down at my now uncovered hands.

“No,” he admits, “why don’t you tell me?” He asks me in a steady voice.

“The North Pole?” I ask rather than say, I take a quick perk up to see an unreadable expression on his face and quickly look back down.

“I see,” he says, “tell me more about the North Pole,” he says in a sweet voice.

“I,,,,,was,,,at a the coma for a while,” I say slowly, pausing to gauge his reaction and looking up at him for a second and then back down at my hands as I play with the blanket, “my brother is trapped there and I’m the only one who can rescue him,” I say with a trembling voice.”

“I see,” he says, “what did you do at the North Pole?”

“I made I-Phone, mostly,” I claim, “sometimes we sang songs and danced around the great tree,” I tell him, gaining confidence, “we had eggnog and cookies and cake for our meals, “ I say, getting excited that someone is finally listening to me, “the work was hard, but I liked it and no one ever got cold or sad,” I say, “except when I did,” I confess, “I forgot my mom and my brother, but then I started to remember them and then I started to get really cold,” I tell him, talking faster and faster, as if the words couldn’t wait to leave my lips, “that’s when I came back here,” I explain, “but that was before I found out that Santa kidnapped me,” I say staring him in the face as I twist the blanket in my hands, “well he didn’t kidnap me really, well he did, but it’s only cause I said he could,” I try to explain, “so he did and he didn’t,” I say, “but now he has my brother, but he’s not been kidnapped he’s sort like a stow away,” I say starting to confuse myself, “anyway, like I said, he has him, but he doesn’t have him,” I say, “do you know what I mean?” I ask, finally stop to catch my breath, now looking at him with the blanket all twisted up in my hands.

“I see,” he says in an even tone that I can’t figure out, “and how can you rescue him?” He asks holding his hand out to me, I reach out and take his hand tentatively and his touch is warm and rough.

“I think I have get him cold so he will realize that he is not an elf and will want to come back,” I say and he squeezes my hand gently, “and the stupid doctors won’t let me pour ice on him like he needs,” I tell him as my eyes start to tear up, “can you make them freeze my brother so he will come back,” I plead, now starting to cry and unable to say anything else, he leans over and gives me a hug and I collapse into his embrace and just sob uncontrollably and all he does is comfort me.

“Shhhh,” he coos,,”it’s ok now,” he reassures me, “it’s ok, you are safe here in your bed,” he reminds me, “nothing can hurt you hear,” he says as I slowly stop crying and pull away to wipe my eyes, looking at him I just sniffle and wait for him to say something.

He hands me a Kleenex and says, “you we’re very brave just now,” he says, “not very many people would be able to show the courage you just showed me,” he says, ‘I would like to ask you a few questions if that’s ok,” he says, I nod my head and he asks me, “Chad, what do you remember about the accident?” He says as he holds my hand.

“I look down and start to cry, “it wasn’t Chris’s fault, I told him to,,,,” I start to say, it can’t go on, I’m starting to cry because I realize I’m the one who told him to go out side and play in the nude, so I bury my face in his chest and cry, unable to speak any more.

“I want you to know something that’s very important,” he tells me as he lifts my chin to look into my eyes, “none of this was you fault or your brothers fault,” he claims, “it was just an accident,” he says in a soothing voice, “an accident could happen to anyone,” he says trying to sooth me, I don’t know if I can believe him, he doesn’t know what happened like I do, but it’s too hard to tell the truth right now, I think as I look at his eyes trying to read them, “I heard about what happened in intensive care yesterday,” he admits, “and I understand and I’m going to tell the doctors to let you go visit your brother later today,” he says as my face brightens up, “but you have to promise me,” he says in a firm voice, “you will let the doctors do what they are trained to do and if your brother needs ice or blankets, you let the doctors decide what is best,” he tells me firmly, “can you do that?” He asked me as he continues to hold my chin, forcing me to look deep into his eyes.

“Ummmm,,,” I mumble as I try to control my emotions, I try to nod my head, afraid to try to speak.

“I need to hear you say it, “ he demands.

“Yes,” is all I manage to squeak out.

“Good,” he tells me, “I’m proud of you Chad,” he praises me, “I’m going to talk to your doctor and your brothers doctor as well and make the arrangements,” he promises, “I’ll try to set it up for this afternoon,” he claims, “but it might have to be in the morning, depending on the condition of your brother,” he informs me, “do you want me there?” He asks me.

“Yes,” I say without even thinking, “doc?” I say, “where is my mother?” I ask.

“Your mother is in a facility downtown,” he informs me with a frown on his face, “she is just being questioned about the accident,” he says very carefully, “you don’t need to worry, I’ve spoken to her and she sends he love and wants more than anything to be here with you and your brother,” he tells me, “they won’t let her come for a visit, yet,” he says “she has a team of people working to allow her to come for a visit and I’m confident that she will be here real soon,” he claims, “she asked me to tell you that she loves you and wants you not to worry about her,” he confides in me, “she told me to tell you, just work on getting better so that when you get out you and your brother can go home and have Christmas dinner,” he says in a sad voice.

“Tell her I love her and I miss her and that I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to,” I say, starting to tear up again.

“I’ll tell her,” he promises me, “she is proud of you and how you saved his life,” he tells and it stuns me, “now get some more rest, you have been though a very trying time and need to get your strength back,” he says and gives one final hug before standing up, “I need to go talk to the doctors so we can see about your visit,” he says with a wide smile.

“Doc?” I say as he starts to leave, “can I ask you one question?”

“Sure Chad,” he says and turns dark to face me.

“Why is my mom in jail?” I ask looking at his feet.

Pausing and looking very sad he says, “We think it is all a misunderstanding, the team of lawyers are working non stop, trying to clear it up,” he claims, “I would suggest you don’t watch the news because they are telling lies and you don’t need to hear that,” he tells me.

“Ok,” I say softly, “thanks for telling me,” I say, “no one ever wants to listen to me,” I explain, “they look at me like I’m crazy or something,” I admit.

You are not crazy,” he tells me, “now I really have to go or I might not be able to find the doctors,” he says and gives me a pat on the head, “it’ll be ok,” he says as he heads out the door.

I’m left alone once again with my thoughts, “that doctor was not so weird as he seemed at first,” I say to the empty room, “mom, where ever you are I hope you are ok,” I say in a small whisper, “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to get you thrown into jail, if I could take it back I would.”

The tv is off and I don’t remember turning it off, I wonder if that mean nurse came and turned it off, I look around and I don’t see the remote anywhere. I could push the panic button, as I’m beginning to think of it, but the nurses here are all so mean, I better not, I think as I start to get up. I try to stand and my legs give out and I fall to the floor and hit my head.

 

“Chad?” What are you doing here?” Ben says, “you shouldn’t be here,” he says, you have to go back right now,” he pleads looking every way at once.

“Where am I?” I ask as I realize I’m back at the North Pole and it’s freezing.

“You know,” he says, “now go before it’s too late,” he says and pushes me outside.

“What the heck?” I say as I’m shoved out the round door and it slammed behind me, my teeth have started to chatter and I my feet hurt and I notice I’m still in my hospital gown. I start to panic and try to move, but I can feel myself freezing in place, “MOMMY!” I yell, “Mommy!” I say a bit softer and start to cry, but the tears start to freeze running down my cheeks.

“YOU!” Hateful voice comes from someone behind me, I want to turn, but I’m frozen in place, “you think you can come back and steal my joy, just when I was starting to be happy?” The voice says, it sounds familiar, like Chris’s voice, but that’s impossible, he would never say such hateful things to his own brother, I think as the voice keeps going, “you be gone,” he demands, “don’t you ever come back or I’ll let you freeze and we will use you as a may pole,” he threatens.

“I don’t know how to be gone,” I claim, trying to sound out the words without moving my lips because they too are frozen.

“Here let me help you,” he says and I feel a dull thud on the back of my head.

“Code blue,” I hear as bright lights suddenly flood my vision and I see a nurse standing over me.

“Oh dear, are you ok?,” she asks, “SOMEONE CALL THE DOCTOR QUICK,” she yells as she puts her hands all over me feeling for something.

“I’m ok,” I try to say, but all that comes out is, “immm,,,kk,,”

“Shh,” the nurse says, “don’t move, “she commands, “what on earth were you thinking, you should have called a nurse for help,” she scolds me.

“Thegy,,rr,,ennn,” I say and then everything goes black.

Will Chad ever be able to return to the North Pole and save is brother who does not want to be saved? Can Santa help and if he can why hasn’t he helped young Chad. Will Chris ever want to come back? Did Chad save his brother’s life,,, all theses and other questions will be revealed in the upcoming chapters, tune in to follow Chad as he uncovers the truth behind Santa and the Elves.
Copyright © 2019 Michael White Potter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

"Will Chad ever be able to return to the North Pole and save is brother who does not want to be saved? Can Santa help and if he can why hasn’t he helped young Chad. Will Chris ever want to come back? Did Chad save his brother’s life...."  Exactly!!!

Whereas Chad first went to the North Pole as part of a deal to save his brother, perhaps Chris went to the North pole to save Chad! Perhaps Chad is still able to visit the North Pole easily because his spirit is only losely connected to his body. Perhaps Chad is really the one in coma, with his present reality a fevered dream.

Uh oh, Code Blue is not a good thing.... Chad may have just earned a one-way ticket to the North Pole (or maybe he'll wake up in time for dinner!).

I love the confusion and uncertainty which reigns throughout this story.  Great stuff!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..