Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Monster - 1. "Petals on a Wet Black Bough"

"Petals on a Wet Black Bough"

I cannot shake the feeling that my mother is still alive. Down in the cellar of that collapsed mansion, she slouches in her wooden chair: head down, eyes shut, arms crossed under her breasts. Aside from the parasomniac nourishment of spiders, she sustains herself with stories. Unlike Scheherazade, she is the author, audience, and subject of her own monody. She awaits her death, wondering if it is even possible.

I, on the other hand, have no doubts about my mortality. The end is not far off. I will write out this story, this confession, and then expire quietly under a cherry tree. My mother believed I was capable of only base animal emotions, but I think my choice of resting place indicates an appreciation for beauty beyond the grasp of whatever cold-hearted monster she mistook me for. Then again, she may have been right: if my scope is as limited as she thought, then I cannot trust my sense of human emotions. The key to my neuroses is my inability to understand them.

And so I will soon expire by my own hand. With open veins, I will settle back against the trunk of my favorite cherry tree, mouthing Riley's name for the forgiveness he cannot afford me. Blanchot says forgiveness accuses before it forgives, and Riley could never reach far enough back through time to accuse me justly. In any event, he is down in that cellar with my mother, dead.

The perfect version of this story, the one I already know is impossible to write, would exonerate me. It would recast my family and me as victims of history, heredity, and society. The relativist's defense: if all are guilty, then so are none.

A shower of rain and petals follows a sharp northern wind. That its beauty staggers me shows I am human; that I find anything beautiful in spite of my history shows I am not.

I fan open my hands. They reveal no answers.

Copyright © 2010 myself_i_must_remake; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The mood, setting, and subject matter of this story as presented by this first chapter is immediately intriguing. I can't wait til you post more. I've so many questions about what is going on.

Link to comment

The narrator's mode of speech here is enticing in its bizarreness. He uses descriptive language with heavy metaphor and symbolism while keeping the reader emotionally distant through his almost detached self-analysis.

 

The imagery used here is very vivid. I enjoyed how the almost absurd metaphors painted a clear and identifiable image.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..