Jump to content
    Randomness
  • Author
  • 2,120 Words
  • 867 Views
  • 2 Comments
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Out At The Park - 1. Yesterday

About September 8, 2012

My Hubster and I went to Six Flags Great America to meet up with some friends of his from work and their partners. The event was called “Out at the Park.” The park would be open like regular during the day and would technically close at 9pm to those who did not purchase the “Out at the Park” wrist bands. Those with wrist bands would be allowed in the park until 1am.

We were running late when we left. It was my fault, first I had under predicted the time we would need and second I was finishing the edit and publish of a chapter of a story on-line. We went to go to his store to get some stuff for a picnic lunch to put in the trunk in order to save money. When Hubster told me it was 11:30 we changed course and when straight to Great America.

We parked out in Daffy Duck 25 and went in to meet at the Grand Carousel. We barely made it on time. Hubster and D were in touch by text and they were now running late. So Hubster and I walked over and got a hot pretzel and shortly after, sun screen (umm… $6 and $18 respectively!!). We were standing to the side of the Carousel when I saw something that I had to comment on to Hubster.

There was a group of either late teens or more likely early twenty-something’s. All male, and two of them were holding holds. It was not really shock I felt. It was broad daylight, early afternoon, not even close to the event, not wristbands issued yet. What I said to Hubster was something like “Wow, can you imagine growing up feeling no fear being able to do that?”

I guess in my heart, it made me feel good and amazed. I mean if either of us had done that when we were young, what would have happened? Maybe nothing, it would have been around 1990, so who knows? I don’t think it would have even occurred to me to holds another man’s hand back then. In fact, I would have been more likely to have made sure that looked like I was not thinking about it.

From that point thought out the rest of the day, I would see men, lots of men in various states of friends and couples, etc. and really, really see them. No one was doing anything horrible, but some you could see just as together and know they were together. Some were more flamboyant than others, some were dressed the same, some more “out,” but the idea was there.

Hubster and I were dressed to be similar and not flashy, I had tried to keep us more subtle but unmistakably together. We were wearing red polos with orange tees underneath, khaki style shorts and sandals. Once again, not flashy, just apparent, or as I though subtle. There was a couple, during the day, wearing matching purple striped shirts and turquoise sweatshirts wrapped at their waists.

D and J met us by the carousel, not dressed even closely the same, and that was ok for them. They were individual and a couple. Thirty-something’s that Hubster knew. The other couple L and S would meet us later as L had to work. They would get to the park around seven. Not knowing what to do, we four walked the park together. Just looking around.

Hubster was too scared to ride anything as he reminded us when we would ask him to ride anything. I kept trying to talk up the smaller coasters while I kept drooling over the bigger ones. Hubster politely reminded me that I had promised not to beg him to ride anything. I did not remember that promise. I did try to dial it back, I do not know if I was very good about it though.

We did convince Hubster to get on one of those spinney, what I call “Octopus Style” rides. Hubster and I sat together and when it went I was slammed into him. He laughed through a lot of it. At some point the said something about “ok that is enough” or “when is this over?” It was and we got off. J and D giving him a hard time about him laughing thought the ride, they had heard him too.

We walked around to the entrance and I think that was when J and D were hungry. They went out to the parking lot to eat. Hubster and I went to a food court. We went to the turkey leg booth, where he ended up getting nachos because the legs did not look good to him. I went to get a burger and ended up in a line with lady arguing with one of her daughters about why one girl slapped the other.

Hubster was done eating by the time I found him at the bench. He helped me finish the fries. We went back to the entrance. J and D were not back yet and we decided to walk around a little. Hubster texted them that we would meet up later. Hubster and I took the train to the opposite side of the park, walked back to the front and again texted that we were walking and would meet later.

We ended up going into a show. I told Hubster if the guys were here too, I would slap all of us. They ended up down a few rows and over to the right. Before Hubster could text a witty message, they texted him. I made Hubster close his phone during the show. The film was about the park‘s history. It had been so long since I was there that rides that had come and gone I did not even know about.

After the show, we walked the park again. This time I convinced Hubster to go on the log rides. The guys waited for us. Hubster admitted that the anticipation of the ride was actually worse that the ride itself. I did duck really far down in the log so most of the water hit Hubster. If he was really all that mad he did not show it. He seemed to have fun even if he was sopping wet now.

We made it all the way around to where we were supposed to get our wrist bands. It was like 40-50 minutes before they were going to open the doors. We sat down on a bench and began to wait. In my head, I was bored, but they did not seem to mind so I just went with it. Finally, the doors opened early and we got in and got our wristbands, along with a line of gay men, from two older ladies.

Hubster and I watched J and D ride the Triple Play. At some point Hubster had wanted a Superman cape (I wanted Green Lantern, I still don’t know why) so we went on a search for one. It seemed all the stores had all others but Superman. We came to the conclusion either to buy it from that one booth for $8 or play a game for $5 to try and get one. Hubster said it wasn’t worth it.

We met up with the ladies just after they got their wristbands and I felt an immediate enthusiasm. They wanted to ride a roller coaster, right now. We started walking towards X-Flight and past close to the Demon. Without barely a thought, we left Hubster and D behind and went on it. J seemed a little unnerved but with words of encouragement liked it. The Demon is still my sentimental favorite.

We found D and Hubster and went right over to X-Flight. The line wait said about 60 minutes, but S said it would not be that long. So once again, without a second glance back to Hubster or D, the four of us went in to wait. I think the wait did go the entire hour. They talked and I listened adding here and there. They know each other and I did not. I liked S quickly.

S told a straight couple ahead of us about the coaster and about the wristbands. They seemed completely at ease with all the gay people around. That ease was, once again, something that I just never would have expected years ago. I was only embarrassed when two guys a little behind us were making out, way over the top. One of them said something about being treated like a lady.

We finally got to the ride and after a few moments with a very unhappy girl trying to ride at the same time with her friends we were on and off. I only was able to describe the actual time on the ride later as a “religious experience.” It was so smooth and so much power. Maybe riding it the darkness made it better, I don’t know and really don’t care. It was awesome.

We got off the ride and Sharron spoke with a guy with a light up shirt. His had a Rainbow lighting up, his buddy’s said “Pride.“ It turned out he sold them and it was a Velcro stick-on hooked up to power. I was tempted to get one. He said he was selling them for $20. He said he made them himself. I could not imaging really wearing it anywhere so I did not bother to get his card, they all did.

We went to the restroom and I came out to find Hubster and hugged on to him. It is weird to say now, but I do not think I ever hugged him in public before. It was the atmosphere I guess. So many happy and/or gay people. We waited for the smokers in the group (everybody other than Hubster and I) holding hands. Then we were off to try to get to Batman on the other side of the park.

There had been warnings announced over the speakers about inclement weather approaching. So we were on the way fast. Everyone other than Hubster and I wanted to get on this spinney ride thing, Hubster told me to go, but I wanted to wait with him. We watched, from under a large table umbrella, the four of them wait in line when the sky finally opened up. Slowly at first then real rain.

They came back to us and we, at first, waited to figure out what to do, should we wait it out or what? We decided to make a break for the food court and try to get something to eat while we decided. It was wet, but I pulled Hubster around and under the canopy. It was packed. That was when we saw most of the food stalls were closed. Ridiculous. Great America could have made a killing.

D and J went to the Panda Express stall, Hubster and I stood with L and S for the beer/pretzel stall. The large gay crowd was restless and it made me cringe a little, I was afraid that I was about to see every stereo type about gay people come true. They wanted to party. There had to be hundreds of them. More than a few already had their shirts off, by then it had to be only 65 degrees.

I had a thought and told Hubster that we, he and I, should not wait and take a nice walk in the rain, like he always seems to want to do, around the park, the long way, and go home. It did not take much convincing and he went off to tell the guys. I told the ladies. S basically made me say we would have to do this again. It does sound like fun. Time will tell.

I took Hubster to the edge of the canopy. Every once in a while people would come running for cover. I think I made some smart ass remark about showing these kids about how adults act or something like that. We put up our hoods. We held hands. We walked calmly and deliberately out into the rain. We indeed take the long way. We passed other groups scattered in clusters under shelters.

We went all the way around, under the bridges, through groups of people. I had hoped in my vanity, that people would see us and see how much we loved each other in our maturity. Holding hands in the rain. I just once would have like to hear someone say “Awww….” Right before leaving the park, we stood in the pouring rain, holding hands, throwing coins into the reflecting pool.

Copyright © 2012 Randomness; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
The content presented here is for informational or educational purposes only. These are just the authors' personal opinions and knowledge.
Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are based on the authors' lives and experiences and may be changed to protect personal information. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A lovely memory filled with moments. Public affection amongst some gay men is just taboo. Why just last December my hubby and i and another GA member (whom i shall call D) went to the East Rand Mall for dinner. It was D's new boyfriend's birthday. Hubby and I do not show affecrion in public and much to my surprise, D and his bf held hands and snuggled up to each other in the restaurant. I was delighted. Sure, we hold hands and gug and kiss at Pride, but usually we stay away from it. What irks me is when we are in a line at the movie house with two kids snogging in front of us.

 

Your story comes full circle. At the end you are holding hands in the rain. A great feeling of togetherness, trust, loyalty and love.

 

Hugs n respect

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/11/2012 04:05 PM, LJH said:
A lovely memory filled with moments. Public affection amongst some gay men is just taboo. Why just last December my hubby and i and another GA member (whom i shall call D) went to the East Rand Mall for dinner. It was D's new boyfriend's birthday. Hubby and I do not show affecrion in public and much to my surprise, D and his bf held hands and snuggled up to each other in the restaurant. I was delighted. Sure, we hold hands and gug and kiss at Pride, but usually we stay away from it. What irks me is when we are in a line at the movie house with two kids snogging in front of us.

 

Your story comes full circle. At the end you are holding hands in the rain. A great feeling of togetherness, trust, loyalty and love.

 

Hugs n respect

Thanks, I felt inspired write as much as I could remember right away. I had my Hubster read it too, just to check on my accuracy. He said I pretty much had it the way he remembered. I think he was surprised at my public display of affection, I tend to shy away from them. It had to have been the atmosphere.

 

The Hubster and I came up with a word for when I get like that: “Romantical.” As in “I am trying to be romantical here!” or “Aww…how romantical.”

 

I have to go to a Pride Event. We are so “vanilla” when it comes down to it.

 

Hugs and Respect to You and Your Hubby. Now go take a walk in the rain, NO snogging! Hehehe…

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..