Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Jake & Conor - 10. Chapter 10

Conor stayed gone. His agent quickly told the producers he wasn’t coming back, and an assistant arrived to pack up his office. No one’s calls were returned.
I went to his apartment, but they wouldn’t let me up the elevator. I left my key at the security desk with a note.
I called.
Nothing.
This wasn’t even industry news. For one thing, it was television, below film. For another, it was sit-com, below hour-long episodic. Finally, Conor was a second-ranked writer on a nearly third-tier show. The ratings wouldn’t be hurt. We were in the last part of the season, and our scripts were roughly in place. Most likely, no one would notice.
Would it hurt Conor professionally? Probably not. After his Emmy nomination, he’d gotten a handful of offers. And while he insisted he was happy where he was, it never decreased his curiosity. And this was Hollywood, for God’s sake – people were always screaming at each other.
So why did I feel awful?
Cassie was smart enough not to reassure me of anything. Everyone in the office liked Conor as much as they liked me, so they carefully whispered out of my range. Worst, being one writer short, the producers asked me to fill in.
“We can always find another line producer.”
As they could always find another writer.
“Should I take it?” I asked Cassie.
“YES!”
And this time she couldn’t inherit my job.
“I thought you hated sit-com,” I joked.
“I don’t hate money,” she retorted . “And this is what you wanted.”
I’d forgotten.
“Conor will see this as betrayal,” I warned. “Further betrayal.”
“You don’t know that.”
“Be real.”
“No, you be – the producers might not ask you again.”
Again, she was right. I took the job, first thinking I should leave a way back to my old one, just in case. Then I realized, I didn’t need to do that. If I failed this time, I was still established as a writer. I called Conor’s agent. This time, she took my call.
And suddenly I was thinking again. I’d liked being a line producer. Problem solving came naturally and was fun. But writing used so much more of my brain. The other writers were fast. After two years of fielding their revisions, I thought I knew their work. But watching them together was amazing.
“Did you know it was like this?” I asked Cassie.
She nodded. “It’s why I don’t write sit-coms. I don’t collaborate well.”
I did.
“You’re a team player,” Paul complimented after a week.
Unless the team was Conor’s.
“STOP BLAMING YOURSELF!” everyone screamed. Everyone. “THIS IS BUSINESS!” I knew that. But I still couldn’t duck.
Though I could at least keep myself distracted. I wrote. I helped out at my old job, easing the transition. I rode my bike. And I stared at my phone like an old Dorothy Parker joke. Hoping it would ring. Wondering whether to call Conor again.
“Don’t be a jerk,” Youngest Brother advised – he was the only one in my family I’d told about the mess. Because – along with law – he’d majored in pick-ups.
“I can’t help worrying,” I replied. “ I slept through the class on ending relationships well.”
He laughed. “We all did.”
Finally, one night I came home to a message. No name. No context. Just his very recognizable voice.
“Let me work this out.”
That was it. The whole message. I played it several times, seeking inflections.
“Let me work this out.”
“Let me work this out.”
“Let me work this out.”
When that got obsessive – and unproductive – I erased it. There were easier ways to make myself crazy. I was glad to hear from him. Glad to know he was thinking about me. Glad knowing we still had something to work out.
I told no one. But I relaxed.

2012 Richard Eisbrouch
  • Like 10
  • Angry 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nah, I obviously like Conor -- and, of course, Jake.  And sometimes you simply have to understand the silliness of that business -- and the artificial pressures and the money -- to understand the people.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..