Jump to content
    sacredlove
  • Author
  • 6,937 Words
  • 1,351 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Ancient - 4. Elysian

Chapter-4: Elysian

Axel


I was drowning in the sea of darkness.

With a sudden strike of familiar fright my senses began to conk out, not because I was falling over a cliff; it was because I was having another vision.

I couldn’t scream any more, my eyes got closed, my limbs ceased to move. I was just falling.

Everything faded away including every emotion, every sense and thought. I was feeling nothing. In that moment I was nothing.

†***†

Once again I found myself plunged into absolute darkness, but this darkness was way different than the one Abraham hurled me into seconds ago.

Then there was a flicker of light, heavy mist appeared around me just like before but this time after the fog dispelled I didn’t see any of the flashes, instead I found my sight roving around a capacious hall, dimly lit with numerous thick, tall, white candles with lavender fragrance. It looked like a study-hall but definitely not from the twenty-first century.

Hundreds of books were stacked on the bookshelves on the high walls around. An extra-long, well-polished rectangular wooden table was placed from one side to the other side of the wall. There were no windows nor doors to be seen on any of the walls.

At least fifty plush chairs, of the same wood as table, were elegantly placed around the table though there was only one chair that was positioned on each of the shorter side of it.

Standing inside the huge hall were three people none of which were seated despite the fact that there were enough chairs around.

An old man was standing on the left side of the table beside an empty chair. He could have easily passed as the Grandfather of my grandfather. His long silver beard fell down to his belly and hair of the same color was of the exact length as of his beard. He wore only a plain orange-colored tunic that extended to his feet, which were bare, and his shoulders were slouched. He held his hands loosely in front of him but his gaze was sharp.

“One of the Sacrificed has indicated that there might be a Rare on the land where our demesne hasn’t extended yet, my king.” The old man informed the other two though his eyes were fixed on the man facing the wall, on the king.

The king had his stiff back to the shorter side of the table. His uncrowned head over his straight neck looked in the direction of shelved books ahead. His legs were a bit parted and he had his hands held together behind his back.

Right in front of the old man across the table was a bald woman who seemed to be in her mid-thirties. She wore a deep maroon-colored farthingale, a bell-shaped hoop long skirt with a somewhat loose-fitted, tight-collared bodice. A light red silk or velvet cloth was cowling her left hand and she wore no jewelry on her body. She was bare footed like the old man. The only thing visible in her eyes was determination and her face seemed calm. “Are you implying that there is a Rare in the east…in Castle Green?” She asked in a crisp yet sophisticated voice.

The old man looked at the bald woman. “None of the Sacrificed has ever said anything which is not true, your highness.”

“Certainly. And who is that Rare, Maester Nersar Kosen?” She inquired further.

“Felix Sage of House Sage, your highness. The only son of Lord Leon Sage.” Maester Kosen never blinked once.

She cast a glance at her cowled hand. “I have heard that Leon Sage’s beloved wife Cecily Sage left her title, her house, her husband, and her newborn son to be in the service of blessed souls?”

“Very true, your highness. She became an Elysian and now resides somewhere in Elysium,” Maester Kosen quickly responded.

“That’s amusing. A self-centered woman of her sort turned into an Elysian. I always wondered what persuaded her to make such a drastic decision.”

“No one knows the reason, your highness.”

After a long pause, the bald woman traced her un-cowled hand on the fine wood of the table. “So Cecily Sage’s son is a Rare. Intriguing. Well, as far as my knowledge about the Rares goes, a Rare is born once in a thousand rain-seasons with three incomparable powers, along with the mark of seven flames on his body. However, no one can know the nature of powers of a Rare until he reaches the age of seventeen rain-seasons, not even the Rare himself.” She shifted her gaze to the old Maester. “Maester Kosen, enlighten us with your knowledge of Felix Sage.”

Maester Kosen cleared his throat. “Felix Sage is still a cub; he has only seen sixteen rain-seasons, your highness.”

She folded her hands against her body. “Which means House Sage knows that Felix is a Rare but no one including Felix is yet aware what his extraordinary abilities are?”

“You inferred very correctly, your highness.”

“What else?”

“Felix Sage has no interest in becoming a lord or a warrior. His knowledge about politics and kingdoms is nonexistent. He’s naïve and fainthearted. He has decided that after he attains his abilities as a Rare he will become an Elysian like his mother. Obviously, Lord Leon Sage is not very happy with his son’s decision and that’s why he’s keen to marry again to provide an heir to his realm.”

She arched her left brow and pouted a bit. “Maester Kosen, did any of the Sacrificed tell you anything about Felix’s abilities.”

“No, your highness.”

The bald woman turned into the direction of the king who was still quietly facing the wall filled with shelved books. “Maddox. You know what that entails, Son?” Maddox, the king, didn’t say a word. “Under your reign House Whymerus conquered each House in every direction except House Sage in Castle Green to the east. You are the king of north, south, west and most of the east region but Lord Leon Sage still rules Castle Green which constitutes a small but significant part of the east. This is your opportunity not only to hoist the flag of House Whymerus at Castle Green but to avail the powers of a Rare too.”

“I don’t need Felix Sage.” King Maddox’s voice was deep, rough and full of pride. He turned around slowly and looked tall staring down at his mother. He seemed to be in his early twenties. His hands were still held behind his back. His black hair was cut short. He was in a tight black hose and a long white padded high collar shirt. Over that shirt he had a reddish-brown doublet with a salient neckline. Under his doublet a wide belt around his waist was fastened with a buckle in which a black snake with six heads was engrained; that belt acted as a holder for his sword.

He walked to his mother in his shiny and pointed closed black shoes, which had sharp hobnails on their sole, and stopped a few steps away. “I am bestowed with three lives. I am blessed that no lion could ever harm me. I have Invincible, my undefeated sword. I don’t require a crown to be a king in the east. I don’t need a Rare by my side to stamp down Castle Green or for anything.”

Mother of the king sent some heated glares in her son’s directions. “You have three lives, lions as your loyal friends and have Invincible hanging at your waist because of the Fire of Sacrifice and the valuable information from The Sacrificed. The House Whymerus should be grateful to Maester Nersar Kosen who discovered a way for you to be an immortal, but let me remind you Maddox, you are not immortal…not yet. The Fire of Sacrifice still needs four hundred virgin girls to honor you with immortality.”

King Maddox scoffed and eyed Maester Kosen. “I cannot reckon why we can sacrifice only one life a day.”

“My king, that’s the wish of the Fire of Sacrifice and I would suggest that we obey. Besides that, if all the young girls began to disappear at once, people would undoubtedly notice and they might bristle which we don’t want at the moment.” The reply of Maester Kosen didn’t dissipate the tension between the duo of Mother and Son.

A pin-drop silence prolonged for a few moments.

“I will usurp Castle Green and slaughter every living Sage including Felix Sage.” The hard look on Maddox’s face was dire.

“And loose the opportunity to harness the unusual power reservoir of a Rare for the betterment of your kingdom?” Mother of the king took a careful step in her son’s direction. Her gaze never wavered. “Your father, who is a blessed soul now, told me moments before his death, Reona, make my son learn how to use his enemies against his enemies.

“What are you eliciting, Mother?”

“You must find a way to triumph Castle Green and Felix Sage’s powers.”

“I can conquer Castle Green and take Felix sage as my prisoner.”

“So he can take his revenge once cognizant of his powers,” Reona countered pulling her chin up. “You have about three fortnights over a rain-season left to gain immortality but the Rare has less than a rain-season to know about his abilities. What if he propels his concealed powers in revenge against you? How could we be certain that he won’t create any obstacles in your way? You never know how he will use his abilities against you. He could prove perilous to your rule and the best way to forefend any future troubles is to take precautions.”

“Then what do you advise, Mother?”

Reona smiled. “Marry Felix Sage. If you marry him, he would never even think of using his powers against you; on the contrary you can find various ways to exert his abilities to sustain your sovereignty throughout the world. Your immortality and his powers would keep you and House Whymerus undefeatable and in rule for eternity.”

Maester Kosen shuffled his urgent gaze between Maddox and his mother. “I apologize for interrupting, your highness but king Maddox is already married. He cannot marry again unless—”

“Unless Aurelia, his first wife, gives her consent and attend her husband’s second wedding as per ritual. Well, I believe Maddox won’t face much opposition from his obedient wife, Maester Kosen.”

Maester Kosen was hardly able to meet Reona’s stare. “Your highness, I have come across another fact about the Rares?”

“And?” She tilted her head a tad.

“No one can marry a Rare against his will. If someone forces him, the Rare could burn him alive,” The old Maester revealed.

Silence imbued in the entire hall.

Mother of the king exhaled deeply and switched her stare back to her son. “If you seize Castle Green, Felix Sage will never marry you willingly. We need to contrive a way to convince this Rare to wed you without spilling a drop of blood.”

“But without a war how could I conquest Castle Green?”

“Through Felix Sage.”

“As long as Lord Leon Sage is alive, Felix Sage can never get the Castle which means I have to wait till Lord Leon dies.”

“Or gets killed,” Reona added with a smirk.

“What are you suggesting, Mother?”

“We need to find a way to seize Castle Green and simultaneously convince Felix Sage to willingly marry you. And once he’s wedded to you, you can conveniently turn him into an obedient spouse just like your first wife, Aurelia.”

Maddox snorted but a moment later a sinister smile played over his cunning face. That didn’t go unnoticed by his mother. “What is it?”

“I have a plan.” They talked with their eyes and soon the same smile took place of the worry lines on Reona’s face.

King Maddox turned his head in the old Maester’s direction. “Call for Commander Harman Mebron.”

Reona once again glanced at her cowled hand with a rueful emotion in her eyes and muttered to herself. “Cecily.”

My vision blurred and dissolved in darkness.

***

This time when the light fluttered and the fog melted away, my sight witnessed a teenage girl sitting on the edge of a huge bed. She was also in a red farthingale like Reona but with a close-fitted, deep-necked bodice. She was the same girl I saw in my first vision, running in the open green field along with the other guy, who was nowhere to be seen.

Her hair was woven in a long, tight braid. She wasn’t wearing any piece of jewelry except a simple yet elegant necklace type of thing which enhanced her long, graceful neck. It was the same big single white pearl threaded in the thick black string which I saw in the bloodied hands of that beheaded soldier in my first vision; the same one my mom gave for me as my eighteenth birthday gift.

The girl was engrossed in sewing something on a big white contour sheet with a sparkling red thread in a needle. The room was illuminated with many rose-scented candles. There were windows around, but all closed. A silver glass was in the middle of a table placed next to the retro-styled bed. There was nothing else in this big room except that bed, that table and a cupboard-like thing in the far east corner.

Slowly the well-carved wooden doors opened in the west-end corner of the room and King Maddox emerged from other side.

A shiver ran through the girl’s body and I saw her hands tremble, but she kept sewing staring down.

“Peace.” Hearing Maddox, the two soldiers that followed him in left the room, closing the door gently on their way out. The girl was breathing heavily. Maddox took calculated steps in her direction. “I reckon my lovely wife cannot remember how to greet her husband.” Maddox’s voice was soft yet full of warnings.

The girl put the thread and needle aside but kept the hold of sheet in her right hand. She hesitantly stood up, though her head was ducked down. “My king.” She sounded meek and scared.

Maddox grabbed the base of her braid and pulled her towards him. She flinched but obliged. “I’m going to marry again. Do you have any objection, dear wife?” I saw horror in her demeanor but she managed to shake her head. “Good.” He drew her face nearer, “Because you know I can always pay a visit to your never-aging friend in the dungeon.”

For the first time she dared to look into his eyes. The dreadful look in her eyes was full of pleadings. “I beg.” She was able to utter just these two words.

Maddox let go of her and sneered. “We’re leaving the Golden Palace at dawn. Be prepared.” Aurelia nodded while clutching sheet in her hand tightly. “And I hope you will help me make Felix Sage as acquiescent as you are.”

With that he left the room but Aurelia couldn’t breathe until the doors were closed again. She shuddered and fell on her bed sobbing.

***

In my next vision I found my sight wandering through an antiquated and gargantuan room. The room was circular. Sunlight filtering through multi-colored glass illuminated the room. A humungous bed with oval-shaped backrest was on a rostrum, near the wall. Affixed to the wall, a few feet away from the right side of the bed, was a large mirror. A long upholstered, tufted sofa with rolled arms and no back was placed in front of the mirror. Right across the mirror, on the other side of the room several wooden cupboards with well-crafted doors were lined against the wall.

A man in his late fifties with a bulged out belly entered the room through tall wooden doors which had the same designs as the cupboards. He looked grim but his back was rigid. The man’s attire included a no button, no collar Bristol-red shirt under a black Surcoat along with brown pants tucked under his knee length black boots. A thin belt was around his waist that has no hangings in front. The prominent symbol of a leaf was embedded on his Surcoat with green thread.

The man walked to a door situated at the end of the series of cupboards, which led to a balcony; white embroidered curtains were tugged properly to each side of the door.

On the balcony, instead of a wooden or iron railing, there was only a brick wall. It rose only as high as the waist of the woman who was standing against it with her back to the man. She had very long black hair tied in a loose braid. She was in a black outfit.

“Felix,” the man called and the figure in the balcony spun around at once. The person I thought was a woman turned out to be a boy who seemed to be around sixteen. It was the same boy I saw in my first vision running and laughing on the green field along with Aurelia.

Felix graciously bowed in greeting, “Father.” While the man’s tone was autocratic, Felix’s voice was smooth and musical. His face was magnanimous. His sculptured lean body was wrapped in a close-fitted bodice and a long flared skirt, with a neck-ruff. Except his face, hands and feet his entire body was hidden behind his black clothing.

Felix’s father approached him and stood before the balcony-wall perching his hands on top of it. Felix turned around and followed his father’s suit. They both gazed out in front of them.

Like a bird my sight flew out of the balcony and roamed around.

Felix and his father were standing on the balcony of a castle. I gathered that it was Castle Green and Felix’s father was Lord Leon Sage. There were tall walls surrounding the castle and gathered outside of the walls was a well-armored army. The Symbol of a black snake with six heads was etched on the red rectangular battle-flag and banners of the army.

The castle was hemmed in by hundreds of foot-soldiers; each one had a lance and carried a tall shield on their arm to intercept blows. Behind them was a battalion of warriors on horses and chariots. After that came the troops of archers. Finally, there were more foot-soldiers spread out as far as my sight would allow me to see, with more lances and shields.

The whole army was in a similar russet-colored uniform that was cut and sewn to perfection. All of them were armored with a set of corselet, segmented arm protectors, shoulder arms, leg guards and visored-helmet; every set of armor seemed to be made of iron. Military belts, which served as a bearer for the daggers and sword, were around the waist of each of the soldiers.

“I know you want to follow in the footsteps of your mother and become an Elysian, but considering the recent turn of events I would strongly suggest otherwise. You must know that the future of House Sage and the future of Castle Green lie in your hands, Son.” Lord Leon took a step back and stared at his son. Felix chose to remain silent, still gazing at the enormous army. Lord Leon emitted a deep sigh. “Maddox’s army sieged our castle before dawn while he lurked at the eastern border with his wife and a capable squad of soldiers; I surmise that you know that already.” Felix gave a slight nod in response. “Maddox sent his messenger to our courtroom this morning. He somehow sniffed that you’re a Rare and now he’s keen to wed you.”

For the first time Felix raised his eyes to look at his father. “What if I say no?”

“Maddox can never marry you against your will. That would burn him to ashes. That’s why he has his well-equipped army around this castle; if anything happens to him, the army will destroy us. His messenger has averred that Maddox would rather own the powers of a Rare than a small region in the east.”

Felix’s eyes welled-up with tears and his nose turned red. “You mean own me and...” His voice broke.

“If you burned Maddox alive or denied marrying him, his sumptuous army would attack us and there would be a bloodbath. The massacre will not stop until he butchers each and every last one of the Sages, including you. We are in a very difficult situation. Until now, our castle was safe from Maddox’s madness because he was indulged in conquering the west, the north and the south. Now, however, his sole attention is at the east…at House Sage…at Castle Green…at you. Our army is not large enough to fight and survive Maddox and his army. This is not a battle we could win.”

“Do I have a choice, Father?”

“If you seek the safety of our realm, if you wish to secure the future of House Sage then I am afraid you have no choice, Son.” Lord Leon was in full control of his emotions while Felix looked ready to crumble down.

“So I have to barter myself away for keeping Castle Green out of the clutches of king Maddox.”

“That is the sacrifice I…I need you to make for our realm, Son.” A flash of pain flickered through Lord Leon’s face.

They stood where they were in afflictive silence for some long moments. “Can I ask you for something before I have to marry king Maddox?” Lord Leon nodded. “I need to go to Elysium to see my mother…once.”

***

Lord Leon and Felix were walking through a dark tunnel in my next vision. Two armored soldiers and two servants holding flaming torches were following them.

“I sent a scroll to Maddox informing him about your wish; his messenger reverted back with his reply which enunciated that he’d be glad to provide you the opportunity to meet your mother.”

“It cannot be all green in autumn weather, Father? What is it?”

“You won’t be going alone. For your safety his Commander, Harman Mebron, will accompany you on your journey to Elysium.”

“For my safety, or to ensure that I don’t run away?”

They reached an iron double-door and everyone halted. Servants moved farther and began to open the door. “Stop.” The servants stopped at once. “Peace.” Everyone except Felix took a number of steps back leaving Lord Leon and Felix alone. “Felix.”

“Father.”

“There’s one more thing. Maddox has let you out of the castle but he has a precondition.” Felix patiently waited for his father to continue but Lord Leon seemed to struggling for his next words.

A look of terror clouded Felix’s impeccable face. “I am poised for the worst, Father. Say it.”

Lord Leon cleared his throat. “Once you come back from the Elysium, you won’t be returning here. Commander Harman Mebron will take you to Maddox, to marry him.”

“Father. Are you…Is…Is this the last time I am ever going to see you?” The uncertainty in his voice was heartbreaking. Lord Leon didn’t respond. It seemed Felix forgot everything in that moment as he lunged at his father to hug him and burst out in tears. Lord Leon wrapped his son in his arms.

“I always wanted you to be my heir, a warrior, a leader and that’s what conjectured me to incessantly razz you for deciding to be an Elysian. I kept admonishing you for your determination to follow your mother but…but you must know Felix that I am proud that you are my son. House Sage and I will never forget your sacrifice and will remain in your debt forever.” A single tear rolled down Lord Leon’s cheek which he hastily wiped out. They pulled back and composed themselves.

Lord Leon himself unhinged the double-door for Felix which opened into the middle of the woods. Beams of Sunrays dribbling through the huddled trees illuminated the dark tunnel. It was autumn and there were light orange-y leaves everywhere. “I cannot go beyond this door, Felix. Give my regards to Cecily.” Felix was about to break down again. “May blessed souls grace you with their blessings, Son.”

Felix slowly made his way to the other side of the door. He was in the middle of the woods. “Father.” He looked back at his father for the last time with his teary eyes and Lord Leon closed the door with his trembling hands.

“Your highness.” Felix heard a heavy and crude voice from his right. He took a deep breath and turned on his side to find a man with two saddled horses a few feet away from him.

“Commander Harman Mebron.” Harman’s one hand was fixed on the heft of his sword. He didn’t look older than Maddox. His nicely combed hair and high cheekbones made him look like a Vogue model. His broad shoulders and toned body was conspicuously outlined under his russet uniform that was cut and decorated by buttons and had braiding and cords in an unvarying manner. Over that uniform he had a scarlet tabard which was dangling down to his thighs. His nicely fitted black leather pant and same colored knee-high boots were remarkable. He wore the same belt as Maddox, bearing the sign of black snake with six heads, around his narrow waist which also served to carry his sword at his left hip.

“In your service, your highness.”

For some moments Felix stared at him with a glum face, then walked to one of the horses and mounted with ease. He was still unshod though there was a silver anklet on his right ankle.

Felix held the reins of his mount in his thin hands and his brown horse began to run at full gallop. Harman quietly followed him on his black horse.

***

After riding until sunset, Felix stopped his horse at the bank of a river and tied it to a nearby Blackwood tree. Harman did the same.

Felix began moving to the bank of the river. “Your highness, the flow of the river is eminent. You must not go any farther.”

Felix stopped but didn’t acknowledge Harman’s presence. He wrapped his arms around himself and stared up towards the top of a tall tower which was standing firmly amidst the river.

Harman towed the horses to the river to let them drink some water and then trussed them back to the trees. He plucked a broad leaf from one of the autumn-blooming shrubs and tucked its edges together to form a small bowl. He went to the river again, filled that leaf bowl with some water and offered it to Felix, ducking his head down. “Your highness, you must be thirsty.”

Felix never averted his gaze from the tower. “I am terrified because I am going to wed a voracious, brutal and vicious king. I am angry that I have to sacrifice myself to secure the destiny of House Sage. I am disappointed that my dream of becoming an Elysian will never be fulfilled. I am hurt that I had to leave my home and my father in such haste. I am helpless that despite having the power to turn your king to ashes, I cannot burn him alive. I am sad because I know there’s nothing but pain and darkness for me in this marriage…in my future.” He eventually swerved his gaze to the Commander. “Do you think while suffering though this ire, this constellate of troubling emotions, I’d be thirsty, Commander Harman Mebron?” His voice thrashed but his face seemed to restrain from evincing any anguish.

Harman had no reply to that. He just stood there looking down, carrying that leaf bowl in his hands. Felix turned his attention back to the tower with a longing sigh.

Before nightfall, Harman gathered some fruits, and then assembled some wood to start a fire. Harman approached Felix again. “Maybe you should eat something and rest for a while, your highness.” Felix paid him a deaf ear.

Felix’s eyes never faltered from the tower and as night drew closer, he kept staring in the same direction, but now into darkness. Harman stood right behind him, heedful in his watch.

The night lingered on with the noise of crackling fire and various night-insects though Felix remained oblivious to any of it.

After a couple of hours, Felix’e eyes seemed heavy and his knees wobbled. Probably stress, thirst, hunger and fatigue were at last getting to him. Harman took a cautious step towards him looking concerned. “Are you alright, your highness?” In response, Felix began to fall like an autumn-leaf. Harman moved in time and held him in his arms. “Your highness?” Felix had passed out. Worry lines formed on Harman’s handsome face. His stare seemed hooked to Felix’s immaculate face and then it was like all his tensions faded away and he crooked a subtle smile. His one arm stayed around Felix’s shoulders, while he freed his other arm and indecisively brushed a wisp of Felix’s hair out of his face with his fingers.

Harman lifted Felix up and carried him to the fire. He gently laid him down on the ground, ran to the river and got some water in that same leaf-bowl. He crouched down to sprinkle some water on Felix’s face. Felix eyes fluttered open. As he noticed Harman close to him, he sat up quickly and shuffled his body back. They held each other’s sight for some time. The fire created a glint of light that shimmied on their faces.

Harman put his hand forward with the leaf-bowl of water. “Please, your highness.” Felix shuffled his gaze between him and the leaf-bowl. He hesitantly took it and drank the water. Harman drew out his dagger and sliced some fruits for Felix. Once fed, Felix’s exhausted body ushered him into a deep sleep.

Harman was on watch the whole night but every other moment he somehow found his eyes lingering on Felix’s sleeping figure.

At dawn, Harman stomped the fire with minimum noise but it was enough to wake Felix up. He ambled towards the river, washed his face and came back to untie his horse.

Without exchanging any words, they continued their journey on their horses.

After travelling for the better part of the day, they reached the outside of a cave which had an old wooden door at its entrance.

Felix dismounted his horse. Seeing that, Harman also descended from his ride. Both of them patiently waited for someone. Finally, the door creaked open and a woman appeared before them. She was in the same outfit as Felix.

She moved to Felix. “Mother is waiting for you.” With that she turned around and began walking into the cave again. Felix stared at Harman. “Stay here. I will be back soon.”

“Your highness, I am afraid I cannot—” Harman began to protest but Felix cut him off.

“Don’t fret, Commander Harman Mebron. I do not intend to run away because I know the consequences. So stay put.”

“I apologize, your highness but I have orders not to let you out of my sight.”

Felix huffed. “Fine. Suit yourself, Commander.”

They followed the woman inside the cave and the wooden door shut on its own behind them. Although there was no obvious source of light, the cave was not dark.

A few meters ahead appeared another wooden door. The woman pushed it open and they were under the open sky once again. There was a narrow pathway ahead of them. Jasmine shrubs lined both sides of the path for as far as my sight could see.

There was a strange serenity to the place. The three of them kept moving in silence. Where the path ended, there was a wall made of mirror. It was tall enough to almost touch the sky and wide enough to give the impression of being stretched to the horizons on each side.

They stopped. Felix eyed Harman in the mirror and spun around to face him. “If my mother does not want someone to enter Elysium, they will not be able to pass through this wall, so even if you tried to follow me any farther, you would not be able to.”

Harman didn’t seem happy with the situation but nodded and dropped his chin down.

The three of them stepped towards the incredibly vast mirror. Felix and the woman disappeared through the mirror, but Harman banged his body against it and stumbled back. He straightened himself out and took a step back, staring at the galactic mirror in bewilderment.

***

On the other side of the mirror, Felix and the woman began walking down a corridor lined with mirrors on all sides, including the floor, the walls, and even the ceiling. At the end of corridor was another mirror, which turned out to be a door. The woman nudged it open.

The door opened into a murky donjon which had a peculiarly high dome for a ceiling. The walls were made of big scabrous rocks. A small pond was on the south corner with Jasmine flowers floating in it. On each of the four corners sat candelabrums holding jasmine-redolent lit candles; incense sticks with a similar aromatic were wedged in the small cracks between the scurfy rocks around the walls. This rendered a thin, pleasant and fragrant smoke in the air.

The place was filled with several men and women, all in the same attire as Felix. “Peace.” A trace of smile was visible on Felix’s face once he heard that voice. After a minute, all the people in the room left through a door in the back.

Now, Felix was alone with a woman who had her back to him. Her hair was coiffured into a tight bun behind her head.

In the middle of this donjon, a naked man seemed to be in deep sleep lying on a block of rock. The rock was a few feet off the ground, supported by nothing; that damn rock was floating in the air with no support at all.

“Mother,” Felix whispered.

His mother, Cecily, swung around. Her hands were immersed in mud which she was applying on the naked body of the man laid on that block of rock.

Cecily looked in her mid-thirties. She was in a bit different clothing than Felix and all other people in that Elysium though the color she was wearing was same. Black.

A bodice with square neckline was snuggled close to her upper body while just like Felix she had a long flared skirt for the lower part of her body touching her feet. She also had a cloak, descended to her instep, fastened around her neck with a brooch.

“Felix.”

Felix strode towards her and embraced her. “I have missed you, Mother.”

She couldn’t return the hug because of her muddy hands but her refulgent smile made up for that. “I know.” she drew back. “You look much taller than the last time I saw you.”

“And yet you look the same.”

Her smile widened. “It’s been seven rain-seasons since you last visited me.”

“That was a long time ago, Mother.”

“It was. How’s your father?”

“Father has sent his regards.” Felix smile waned. “I need to tell you something, Mother.”

“About Maddox and his marriage proposal?”

“How could you possibly…”

“I am an Elysian, Felix. I serve the blessed souls. Followers of Elysium call me Mother because with the grace of blessed souls I have knowledge of certain things.”

“Blessed souls?”

She turned back to the naked man, reclined back on the un-pillared rock, shrouded in mud and began to dab his body further with her mire steeped hands.

“He died yesterday. His family left him here this morning in the service of Elysium. And now I must find out whether he is a blessed soul or not.”

“How could you possibly determine that?”

“I am not allowed to reveal that, as one has to choose to serve the blessed souls and the Elysium for life in order to gather the knowledge about every secret of this place.”

“I want…wanted to be an Elysian too, just like you, before Maddox sieged Castle Green. But now my future lies somewhere else.”

Cecily’s eyes were fixed on the muddy dead body while working on it. “Felix, some people are destined for greater good and you, my son, are one of them. You will lay the foundation for the end of evil. Whoever thinks that you’re fainthearted and naïve will be proven wrong because they are not aware of your abilities. But…”

“But?”

Her hands stopped moving and she looked at Felix. “A lot of pain, loss and suffering is ahead of you before you fulfill your destiny.”

“What if…what if I don’t marry him?” A glimmer of hope was audible in Felix’s tone.

“Whether you marry him or not, your fate will drag you to him anyway. It is inevitable.”

A tremor ran through Felix as his mother’s words began to sink in. “And I will be alone in this?”

A mysterious smile made her way to her glowing face. She moved to the pond and washed her hands. “No. You won’t. You will find some friends.”

“And you? Will you be there for me?”

A look of remorse took the place of that mysterious smile in a span of a single moment. She walked back to her son and affectionately put her hand on his right cheek. “Felix, I realize that to come to Elysium I left everything behind, including my infant son. I was not there when you needed me, but today I promise you that once in your life whenever you need me I will be there for you and at that time I will leave behind everything for my son.”

A man came running through the backdoor. “Mother. He’s awake.”

Cecily stared at her son with her misty eyes. “You must head out before snowfall begins.”

Felix’s brows creased in confusion. “Snowfall? Mother, it’s autumn and it never snowfalls in east.”

“Change begins from somewhere.”

“Mother—”

“It’s time for farewell, Felix.”

“Not yet, Mother. Please.” In that moment, pleading to his mother to stay with him for a while longer, he looked as fragile and vulnerable as an infant.

Gauging the overwhelming emotions swirling around in her son’s head, this time Cecily hugged him, though she seemed to be battling with some of her own inner upheaval. “Always remember, you’re a Rare, because the moment you leave the premises of Elysium, your life will never be the same. May blessed souls grace you with their blessings.”

She pulled back and headed to the backdoor with rather quick steps. Felix stared after his mother with his glistening eyes. She looked back, one last time, at her son, cherishing this special moment. “I wish I could change your fate but in a way it’s good that I cannot. Take care of your hair, Felix.”

And with that strange advice, she was gone, leaving him alone with that mucky dead body still on the block of rock floating in the air. Felix fell on the ground and wept silently in the donjon.

***

Through the backdoor, Cecily entered a corridor. There were several rooms on either side of the passageway, spaced at equal distances. The walls and floors looked like the ones in donjon, although the high ceiling was built of a metal, perhaps an alloy, unknown to me.

She was pacing with long strides while her cloak was flying up in the air a tad. The man that informed her about somebody being awake was a few steps behind her.

“How is he feeling?” Cecily asked without looking back.

“He is still grumbling about having severe pain in his head.”

“Did he disclose who is he and why is he here?”

“No, Mother.”

“Did he say anything about…about Felix?”

“No, Mother. He says he will not talk to anyone except you.”

“Very well then.” They stopped outside the last room on the right side of passageway. “Stay here. I will go inside alone.”

“Mother.” The man looked down and stepped back.

Cecily entered the room, closing the wooden door behind her without making any noise. The room was well-lighted because of the same jasmine-scented candles in the corners. She ambled ahead and stopped before a small bed. The person lying on the bed was under white covers. He had veiled his eyes with his left arm.

Cecily slightly craned her head to her right. “Who are you?” And he jerked his arm away from his face.

†***†

I gasped for air and open my eyes in sheer cryptic darkness. Every part of my body was in insufferable pain but I couldn’t bring myself to scream because my mind was not ready to consider my pain nor the fact that Abraham pushed me off a cliff.

I kept staring into the darkness, panting heavily and trying to decipher the meaning behind my vivid vision though all I was able to think about was Cecily and the person lying on the bed with his arm over his eyes.

Because Cecily looked just like my best friend Chance’s mom and the person on that bed…was me.

 

TBC.


Author’s Note: A rain-season is a year. The time-frame in Axel’s vision will be in days, fortnights and rain-seasons.

Please share your views on this chapter. Your opinion matters to me :) 

 :thankyou:   Emi (The Eminent MGK), Silentdreamer, JimP, Terry P, Gulab Jamun, BrianM and all my readers :) 

And  :thankyou:  Jt_hooks for editing this chapter :) 

Copyright © 2016 sacredlove; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Whow!!! That was a lot to take in and until now it was great. Showing about what actually happened before(with/without him 'till then) was just great move. And I really liked how you are writing. It was just Amazing. Your story, the description and your English were just Amazing. And a lot to come to clear all my doubts.

 

Nice chapter and you did very fascinating job... :) Always waiting for the next chapters... :)

 

~Emi.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

So many things to wrap my mind around, lol. I loved the idea of another parallel story with Felix. Many interesting facts had already made me waiting for the next chapter. Update soon.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

really enjoying this story. Looking forward to what you will cook up for us in the next chapters.. but write quickly you've left us holding our breath :P

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 7/19/2016 at 1:23 AM, Emi GS said:

Whow!!! That was a lot to take in and until now it was great. Showing about what actually happened before(with/without him 'till then) was just great move. And I really liked how you are writing. It was just Amazing. Your story, the description and your English were just Amazing. And a lot to come to clear all my doubts.

 

Nice chapter and you did very fascinating job... :) Always waiting for the next chapters... :)

 

~Emi.

Thank you so much for the Review Emi. I'm glad you are loving the story so far and the plot is intriguing enough to hold your attention. I can't promise when I'll be able to post next chapter but I can assure you I will complete this story no matter what. Take Care :)

Link to comment
On 7/21/2016 at 9:26 AM, silentdreamer said:

So many things to wrap my mind around, lol. I loved the idea of another parallel story with Felix. Many interesting facts had already made me waiting for the next chapter. Update soon.

Well, you have to wait longer, SD, LOL. Thanks a lot for the review. I will not be able to post any new chapters before June but I promise I will try my level best to make it up for you guys once I start posting chapters again. Take Care :)

Link to comment
On 8/13/2016 at 5:19 AM, Cajbor said:

really enjoying this story. Looking forward to what you will cook up for us in the next chapters.. but write quickly you've left us holding our breath :P

I'm so sorry for this long wait and sorry again because you have to wait a bit longer. New chapters will be posted in the month of June. I promise things will be more intriguing and interesting in the coming chapters. 

 

Thank you for the review. take Care :)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..