Jump to content
    S.L. Lewis
  • Author
  • 777 Words
  • 902 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Bits and Pieces - 1. Chapter 1: Living With It

Title: Living With It
Fandom: Original
Word Count: 776
Characters: Rye and David from A Butterfly’s Dream
For: Ash365
Prompt: Regret


Swirling the tea around in his coffee pot, David huffed at the sludge like quality of the so called liquid before him. it once more seemed as he had lost himself to his studies that Rye had set for him. He was lucky that he had nothing from Nico, otherwise he’d end up with nothing but a dry and cooked coffee pot. Sighing, he flipped off the coffee percolator and opened his door, stepping out of the room that he called his own. Closing the door behind him, he padded down the dark hall, his socked feet making no noise on the carpet.

Walking down the stairs, he paused at the bottom and gazed out the window and the dark landscape before looking to the grandfather clock to check the time. It was surprisingly just a bit after 11 but there wasn’t a single star in the night sky. It looked as if a storm was slowly making its way in over the Yuma desert.

Humming quietly, he continued on his way to the kitchen, intent on cleaning his coffee pot and raiding the fridge. Finding the kitchen light on, he poked his head into the room and blinked at the sight of a flour covered Rye standing before an equally flour covered counter. A cookie cutter was being pressed into rolled out dough, creating some rather interesting cookies. Looking over his friend and teachers shoulder, he giggled at the shape of the cookies and the cutter.

“Dick cookies?” he asked, getting an amused look from the immortal.

“I got bored and used some of that clay that I had and made a form. You know I don’t sleep well when Son and Nico aren’t here,” Rye hummed, laying the cookies out onto sheets that already had rather large squares sitting on them.

“They’re due back tomorrow afternoon. And by the looks of it, they’ll come home to giant cookies. “Gonna paint with frosting again?” David asked as he moved to clean his coffee pot.

“Yes,” came the answer before silence fell around them outside of the sound of water and the clinks of the two moving around. Davids mind drew back to what had original drew him from his studies. Looking over his shoulder, he leant against the sink and bit his bottom lip. “Hey, Rye?”

“Yeah?” The younger male put his pot aside before hoping onto a clean counter, watching Rye start to clean up the counter he was using.

“Do you ever feel regret?” he asked softly, looking at the older man through his lashes, watching surprise flood his friends eyes. A contemplative silence fell over them as Rye put the cookies into the oven and cleaned up the rest of the mess before starting something that would end up a pie more then likely.

“Yeah, I regret a lot of things.” The soft answer made David jump a little, a wince escaping when his ass hit the counter again. Blinking, he patiently waited for Rye to continue with what he wanted to say. “I have lived a long life, David. I have many things that I regret and find that it gets easier to deal with them as time goes on.”

“Does it?” David sighed, running a hand through his hair.

“Yeah. It takes friends and actually living a life, which can be hard when you think about it,” came the reply as a spoon scraped against the side of a bowl. “You learn how to find pleasure in life. My pleasures are my demon and dragon, books and baking. I have other hobbies and pleasures, but those keep me grounded and loving. And now I have a few more friends,” he hummed softly, reaching out to brush his fingers over Davids cheek, drawing out a shy smile.

“So I have a balanced life already, I just have to live it huh?” David teased, getting a laugh from his friend as the man continued with his pie making.

“No life is balanced, but we have them as close as a guardian can get,” Rye replied, making the younger mal snicker. “Come here. It’s high time I teach you some baking skills. Now, grab the cocoa powder for me would you?” he asked, pointing to a cabinet. Hopping down, he started to help the other man to bake a chocolate pie, feeling better about his regrets. After all, Clary wouldn’t want him to regret dragging him into a fight against Alex, even if he hadn’t known he had. He would continue to remember his lost boyfriend but wouldn’t regret a single thing that he went through, including the so called regrets he felt.

Copyright © 2011 Rose Strailo; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..