Jump to content
    Solus Magus
  • Author
  • 2,154 Words
  • 617 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>
Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>
Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>

The Son of Bat - 5. An Honest Spell

"Robin, don't scare him." Superboy squeaked with a soft voice. Aethaniel was still knocked out. We were in a nearby abandoned building that I marked beforehand. In case a battle would take place, this place won’t be inviting people that could easily be taken hostage. I also covered the windows with what I can find inside the building. I looked at Jon who had a bit of a frightened look on his face. “What?”

“You can never interrogate someone if you don’t know how to strike fear into the heart of the person.” I replied. Jon stepped back and I could feel his heart throbbing inside his small ribcage. The memories of how grandfather taught me how to do such a thing flashed in my head. And they weren’t memories to be treasured. “That’s what my grandfather always taught me. And believe me, he was scarier than me by at least ten times.”

Superboy gulped. I saw the fear in his eyes. He was probably imagining what kind of man Ra’s al Ghul was. And I couldn’t blame him. Even I have felt fear just by looking at my grandfather. His hunger for power had no bounds. No wonder why father had no hesitation to bring him down. Those kinds of people can be dangerous to the rest of humanity. Even if he was my very own grandfather.

“Did you at least had fun with your grandfather?” Superboy asked me. A stupid question really. I had to hold myself back from insulting the little boy any further. “I mean, you’re supposed to have fun with your family, right? Mom and dad would always have the time for me even if they’re both busy.”

“It’s because my childhood wasn’t as boring as yours.” I shot back. Then we both looked at Aethaniel who stirred in his unconscious state. I took the time to observe keenly but it seems that was not about to wake up yet. The special Birdarang must have hit something in his brain real good. Then I faced Jon back. “You don’t have the capacity to even understand what I went through, boy-scout.”

“Hey! How come you’re calling me the same nickname your dad calls my dad?” Jon exclaimed. But I ignored him and a smug was probably on my face. My father was the greatest detective in the world. And he knew a lot about Superman more than just the childish nicknames. Every weakness of the Justice League was in his main database. “I don’t like it!”

“It’s because you are a boy scout! I thought that was obvious.” I was about to say a major insult but Aethaniel grunted. It was something unexpected. He was not supposed to wake up yet. I wondered if he managed to cast a recovery spell the last time he stirred. I quickly pulled a paper seal tag on his mouth. The thing was supposed to negate spells that needed to be cast by pronouncing certain words. It would leave him no options since his hands were tied up. But his eyes glowed and the glyphs on the seal did so with the same hue. “Looks like the little mage is awake.”

But it wouldn’t be enough for him to break free from the silencing seal that I placed on him. He would have to make use of superhuman strength like Jon and he didn’t have that powers. Even if he did, Jon was more than enough to take him down a notch. I focused on Aethaniel as he tried to muster all his strength. There was just no way that he would be able to break his shackles.

“I won’t let you speak until you calm down, tiny mage.” I said. Then I took out my specialized Birdarang that could break him further. Suddenly, there was a bit of far in his eyes. A bit more and I might like the power I had over him. But it also struck fear to Jon as he grabbed my forearm. I was well-aware that he could easily break my bones like a twig. It didn’t bother me though. My focus was still on the young mage in front of us. “If you make this boring then I’ll cut out your tongue.”

Then I looked at Jon with the same intensity. He almost gulped as I stared at him with killing intent. Something that grandfather taught me to use effectively. Using one’s fear against himself was a very powerful weapon. “I’m not afraid to use this thing if I have to, dimwit. I order you to stand down.”

That alone brought worry to his face and he was quick to release my forearm. Jon looked at me with a questioning face but I ignored him. It was a bluff. My time with the Teen Titans taught me to prioritize my teammates over my goal. But that doesn’t mean I would have to follow it all the time.

I observed Aethaniel for a couple of minutes as he just watched me walking back and forth in front of him. Brooding was not really my strongest point but I was already getting some of it from Batman. I was already contemplating if I should release the seal on his mouth but if he was able to cast a spell then things could get awful.

So I took out a couple of earplugs and gave them to Jon. He knew what to do and put them on. These were not your ordinary earplugs. It can shield him from the sound-waves and it can also serve as a communication system. Lucius Fox was a very smart man for preparing different gadgets for all occasions. Adapting to today’s technology was a big advantage. But my grandfather would not always agree to this.

With one quick motion, I took the seal off of Aethaniel’s mouth. Thankfully, he didn’t make a suspicious move. My finger was on the trigger in case he did something funny. I was about to make sure that he would regret it if he did.

“Who are you working with?” I started asking. But he didn’t even attempt to look at me. I pressed one of the buttons of my belt and it sent a command to my mask. My left eye started seeing his vital statistics so that I would be able to check if he was lying. Everything was on it, including his heart-rate. It also offered a heat sensor and an x-ray vision. But I think Jon has a more accurate one since it was built-in within his eyes. “Don’t make me repeat myself.”

Jon observed from a distance as I took out a knife and threatened the boy with it. It caused his breathing to agitate and his heart rate rose as I brought the knife nearer to his face. Even Superboy’s vital statistics were affected as I took a good look at him, just enough for my gadget to scan his body.

“It’s no use. The thing that we stole is probably being shipped overseas right now and you don’t know what’s coming.” The boy suddenly speaking. His voice was soft and gentle. There was a bit of peace even. His heart rate dropped to a normal level and I knew that he was already being nice about it. “The one who captured me left the country before we even got to meet each other in Gotham. They didn’t even mention his name. Those freaks just call him the Fist and that was it. It was nothing else more than a lousy nickname.”

“You started talking and being honest. Criminals don’t do that.” I replied. But like before, he didn’t show any hint of care. He already made some sort of resolve. And I was willing to bet that we were some sort of scapegoats. “What’s the catch?”

“There’s no catch because I am not a criminal. If there’s one thing I want, it’s a way out of this mess.” The boy faced me. His blue eyes had a serious look. “The couple that was about to adopt me will be put in danger. My only chance at getting the normal life I have always wanted was on the line. I had no choice.”

“And why should I believe you?” I asked. Then I started playing with the knife. It should scare a little kid. But based on his response, he wasn’t taking note of it anymore. “You’re not really in the position to present a strong case.”

“Take it or leave it.” He shot back. Aethaniel was not intimidated anymore. The knife I was holding was nothing more than a piece of a prop. I would love to use it to my advantage but Batman wouldn’t approve of needless violence. The boy could still give us clues if needed. “You can hurt me all day long but you won’t get any more information from that.”

“I think you may sound more believable if I cut off one of your arms first.” I replied with a devilish smile on my face. But Aethaniel didn’t flinch. I was already preparing for a sudden battle. He was so sure of himself. A trump card may have been underway and I needed to make sure I am one step ahead. “Maybe I can cut off up until your elbow for a discount. How does that sound, tiny mage?”

“Robin.” Superboy suddenly protested. He made a step forward, even if he knew I was more than willing to hurt him. Jon will always be more of a boy scout than a superhero. And that’s why I needed to train him. “We’re not supposed to do that!”

“Shut it. I told you to watch.” I snapped back. Jon just looked worried. Then I focused back on our captured prey. My communicator vibrated in my utility belt. It was none other than Nightwing telling me that he found more information on the whereabouts of the targets we are aiming for. Then I focused back on Aethaniel. And a plan was immediately snapped back into my mind. “If you’re going to be useless, then you’re better off being free. Don’t return.”

Jon seemed surprised but Aethaniel was still calm. I approached him and started removing the anti-magic seals under his chair before moving on to the metal cuffs that bound his hands. The boy rubbed it and I noticed it was kinda sore. His wrists were red and a bit swollen. I found that weird because the cuffs I used were new and had no rust on them. I took note of it and proceeded to escort him towards the door.

“Go before I change my mind. You wouldn’t want me throwing your dead body over the Marianas Trench.” I barked at him. Then Aethaniel quickly created a portal and jumped into it. It only took a few seconds before it vanished into thin air. Jon approached me with a worried look. “What?”

“Are you sure about that?” He asked. The boy was too young to even foresee the potential of that kid. Superboy is can be anything but a normal human being. But him, staying here for a decade now actually programmed him to be one. “That boy needs help.”

“He’ll come to us on his own. Aethaniel is still a meta-human. There’s no way that he will be able to fit in today’s standards.” I replied. Then I checked my device and the tracker I placed on him was still on. So far, he was just in the area since he was studying in Jon’s school. “That boy is a potential Teen Titan. It would be better if he realizes that he needs us. The door that was opened for him cannot be shut.”

“So what’s your plan?” Jon asked. His eyes were bright and naive. It was almost identical to Superman’s. Well, he was the boy’s father after all. Similarities are to be expected. “I know you always have one.”

“Let’s go back to the HQ and watch his movements. And you need to check out on him now and then since you’re both studying in the same school.” I ordered him. The command was cold and quick. But I think Jon seemed to enjoy these kinds of adventures. He was yearning for an adventure but I knew better. It was nothing else but child’s play.

“Oh, you mean the Fortress of Attitude?” Superboy’s eyes lit up. I almost choked on my saliva. That name was beyond disgusting. But he wanted it to sound like his father’s Fortress of Solitude up in the north. Although, the Batcave was nowhere near better when it comes to the name.

“Who said I’ve agreed with that name?” Thinking about it just made me frown. And Jon was happy that he was able to annoy me. The HQ nickname he gave was just so inadequate on so many levels. “It sucks.”

© 1939-2022 DC Comics, Warner Bros / Discovery; All Rights Reserved;
© 1939-2022 DC Comics, Warner Bros / Discovery; All Rights Reserved;
© 1939-2022 DC Comics, Warner Bros / Discovery; All Rights Reserved; Copyright © 2017 Solus Magus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>
Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>
Stories in this Fandom are works of fan fiction. Any names or characters, businesses or places, events or incidents, are fictitious. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental. Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to DC Comics and Warner Bros /Discovery <br>
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..