Jump to content
    thatboyChase
  • Author
  • 2,764 Words
  • 753 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rust - 3. Chapter 3: The Saracellum

Chapter 3: The Saracellum

 

It was a dream that had happened before. A throne room with vaulted ceilings, large flowing drapes protecting the gaps between the columns that made the chamber of thrones circular. They were crimson, red as the garbs of the Grand Stewards. Nine thrones, each crafted uniquely in some glittering substance.

 

Colin would explore the dream, it was almost real. The air was dusty, light trailed through in beams from the ancient dome ceiling. Was it a temple to some old god? A castle, perhaps long lost to some empire that fell before his time. Was he in the Openness?

 

"This is not Rust," he would always remind himself. The dream always ended when he sat in the middle-most throne.

 

He awoke suddenly. Letting his eyes adjust to the dark, he noted he was back in Alexi's apartment. The Son of Saron was standing before one of the windows, his back to Colin.

 

"Master?" Colin arose from the couch slowly at first. Was this another dream? Alexi turned slightly, Colin could not see his face well in the shadows of the living room.

 

"Ah, Steward."

 

"The hour is late, why are you up? Should you not be sleeping?" Colin made his way to the window. The city glowed like She always did, it was beautiful.

 

"As much as I try, I cannot." He replied.

 

"Why? I am certain one of your Houses alchemists could fashion a sleeping draft." Colin figured that was a sound idea.

 

"Not that. Earlier today, when we were attacked."

 

"You're frightened?" Colin asked.

 

Alexi said nothing, Colin felt his Master wish to say something, but Colin was not skilled at reading minds. Only the brief feeling of the Bond, if there was any to begin with.

 

"Do you like the City at night?" Alexi asked.

 

"I suppose I do, yes."

 

"It is a wicked place at night, you know." Alexi smirked, "Deep in the hovels where the Dredgers live. The secret necromancers that lurk about the streets, assassins... and here we are, safe. Or so I thought."

 

"Perhaps a good night’s rest will ease your worries. Your family is well protected. It is rather impressive," Colin said, quickly adding, "I think, at least."

 

"No one cares what you think, Steward. The issue is I almost died," Alexi turned to his guardian, "What if I am chosen as the heir? How can I protect myself against a magus who can kill me from across the City," Alexi glanced around a moment, "Or send something wicked from the void, some demon. Can you fight those, Steward?"

 

Colin blinked, "I...." He faltered. Could he slay a demon? Some say they could not even be killed? What if it was some wicked creature of magic summoned by that dark sorcerer from the Dining room?

 

"Exactly." Alexi snarled, retreating to his room and leaving Colin in the drifting darkness.

 

Sighing, the Steward leaned against the cold window. The lights of the street below twinkled. "I would kill it of course..." he whispered, his breath blossoming over the window pane.

 

He returned to the couch and fell back into a dreamless sleep. Colin was surprised when Alexi had not required him to stand in front of his door during his paranoia. When the morning had arrived, Colin awoke to a swift knock on the head.

 

"Ow!" Looking up, glaring dark eyes and a full beard accosted his face.

 

"On your feet, Steward." Colin flew from the couch. The brilliant red uniform forced him to attention.

 

"Grand Steward." Colin saluted, almost too violently.

 

"At ease." Colin let out a sigh, the burly man’s bushy eyebrow rose slightly, "I am Bjorn, I serve the High family of Saron, especially the High Father. He requests the presence of his son, is he awake?"

 

"I believe he is still sleeping, sir." Bjorn turned and glanced to the closed door. He chuckled, a booming sound similar to his earthen voice.

 

"I shall see to him. Dress yourself appropriately for the day, Steward. You serve Saron now." Colin nodded and set off for his uniform. The command was something he took with a grain of salt, as if it was meant to be. Long years of training had done this.

 

Bjorn entered Alexi's room, only to come out moments later with the boy dressed. Colin was finishing clasping his now clean uniform, had the Dredger servant done it? As he made to join them on the elevator, Bjorn turned suddenly.

 

"Stay here. He shall return within the hour." Colin stopped suddenly, he felt a pang of something. It made his stomach turn. He looked at Alexi, his Master’s face was blank. Colin flexed his jaw and nodded.

 

"As you say. Good bye, Master." Colin bowed and took post near the door. Alexi said nothing, did he roll his eyes? As the doors of the elevator shut Colin stared at the floor. Counting the minutes until his Master returned.

 

Alexi said nothing as the elevator rode down to the street level. He had known Bjorn for the expanse of his life. The burly Steward was quiet, calculating. Alexi knew his Father and Bjorn had seen many battles together, something was different about the High Father’s Steward.

 

"Why are we not going to his chamber?"

 

"Nikolai expressed great need in moving the High Father to the Saracellum."

 

Alexi said nothing. The Saracellum was feared by many in the City. Some said it would cause the destruction of Rust. Imploding in upon itself due to the sheer force of magic within the building. The headquarters of Nikolai and his kin was no mere building, a great observatory that towered above all buildings in the city. Great lenses focused on the endless stars above, still mysteries to the people of Rust.

 

Bjorn and Alexi exited the Saron tower, ushered into a black car surrounded by men in suits. Their dark glasses glistened against the desert light.

 

Sliding back into the leather interior, Alexi watched as the city dripped by. The people that wandered the streets, slaves of Rust, toiling and working hours to build Her higher and higher.

 

The car raced across the large highways that crisscrossed the city. The Saracellum rose in the distance, a glittering wand of magic foci.

 

"When we arrive, an attendant will take you within." Bjorn said. Alexi had never been within the Saracellum. Would he see the demons they summoned, so forbidden by law to even look upon them? Or the creature that roam the Openness?

 

The car pulled to the curb before the skyscraper, the door opened and Alexi slid out. Bjorn stayed in the car. Alexi waited a moment.

 

"You are not coming?"

 

"No, as the Bond dies, I shall too slowly disappear." The large Steward seemed to sigh, the door shut and Alexi was left alone before the tall building. No one on the street paid him any mind. Did he not exist? Did they not know who he was!

 

He entered the Saracellum. Most of the building was forbidden to those not within the Order of the Saracellum, Nikolai and his retainers.

 

The lobby washed in white, his foots steps echoed against the vaulted ceiling. At the end a large podium rose, behind water trickled lazily down the marble. A young man in a blue uniform perked up as Alexi approached the podium.

 

"Hello, how may I help you? Do you have an appointment?"

 

"I am Alexi Saron, I am here to see Nikolai."

 

"The Archmage? Why, he is busy currently. May I take a message?" Alexi stared.

 

"I am Alexi Saron, Third Son of the High Father, I was called here by the Archmage himself!"

 

"I'm sorry, the Archmage is currently busy...May I ...." The man in the uniform fell forward on the podium, silent. Nikolai leaned over.

 

"Oh hello Alexi..." he glanced down, "You can never properly enchant golems... Come, Father awaits." Nikolai vanished, coming around the podium once more ushering Alexi toward an unmarked elevator. "Welcome to the Saracellum. I hope you find it to your liking, brother."

 

"What is here?"

 

"A good question," The elevator doors closed. Soaring upward, they entered a shaft of glass, the city expanding out as they climbed, "Everything. Below us, protected, is the only font of magic left in this realm."

 

"None have tried to take it?" Alexi asked.

 

"No, it is divided equally among the Houses. No House has sought more than it has. Which is rather odd, if we all constantly vie for power..." He trailed off. Alexi glanced up. Something flickered in his eyes, Nikolai noticed, the aura of a leader.

 

"But rules must be followed. Rules are what keep Rust together."

 

"Very good." Nikolai smiled. The light crisscrossed their faces as they rose higher, soon the elevator slowed. The doors opened, another blank room. Similar to the golem downstairs another occupied the room, standing in the center. This one however had no face. Alexi started a moment, staring. "Do not mind it. One of my apprentices created it, it wards this section of the Saracellum." Nikolai glided into the room, "Come."

 

"From what?"

 

"Intruders, of course."

 

"How do you tell an intruder? Especially in Rust. Aren't we all intruders when we leave our homes? Tis the way."

 

"I suppose. The Saracellum lives, I assure you. If it feels threatened it shall rebuke. If one wields magic the way it ought to be, we would see none of it at all. However, given the circumstances of our nature to exceed rule, destroy enemies, the like... We must protect our magic." Alexi did not understand, but he knew that Nikolai had deep meaning in everything he said. The golem did not move as they passed it. Alexi still felt uncomfortable.

 

They both reached the white wall at the end of the room. Nikolai stepped forward, his hands were devoid of gloves today. Slender fingers played along the marble wall and soon a door materialized. "Now, I must put you through several scans. It is simply protocol."

 

"Scans? Who do you take me for? I am..."

 

"Your Father did them, given his state." Nikolai gestured into the next room, with a smile. Alexi scoffed and followed his brother.

 

The door closed behind them, sinking back into the wall, gone. Alexi now stood in a larger chamber. Shadows crept along the walls, there were no windows.

 

"Stand there," Nikolai gestured to a small shimmering circle on the floor, "You will not feel a thing, perhaps some wind." Alexi took the center of the room. Nikolai stood at the edge of the circle, his hands began to move. Scintillating light trailed from the tips of his finger, slowly each finger would draw symbols that hung in the air shimmering. Once a design was finished, signaled by the wisp of his pinky finger and a flurry of colorful dust, he continued on another, each surrounding Alexi.

 

Alexi felt nothing except, occasionally, the feeling of magic, which was a brisk wind that seemed to come from no where. The lights glittered, illuminating the blank room. Alexi knew Nikolai had conjured the room. Alexi knew half the Saracellum was sustained by rooms created by the sorcerers that lived within.

 

After some time, the room returned to the gray it once was and Nikolai nodded.

 

"Finished. Now, this way..." Nikolai approached another wall, a door met with their arrival and they passed through the threshold.

 

A long hallway awaited them. It was wide enough for the large amounts of heavy foot traffic. Many robed apprentices bustled around, carrying various bags and books.

 

"This is our Menagerie. Most studying is done here, in the large rooms off to either side," He gestured lightly. Alexi looked to see large rooms that resembled that of ordinary classrooms from the streets below, others were fields of grass with endless blue skies. Others merely were dark, or the light was barely alive.

 

"What are in the dark ones?"

 

"Usually a demon, or some creature we have captured from the Openness. Come, Father awaits."

 

They left the corridor of windows, through empty rooms, creeping their way upward. Finally, the next room was not a blank vessel of white, but the study of Nikolai himself.

 

Wooden paneled, book cases that vaulted to the ceiling. Nestled into the dome of the great tower study the stars twinkled, the cosmos swirled known and unknown to even the great Nikolai himself. Despite its clutter, Alexi noticed his father sitting in a large chair near the window.

 

"Father...." Alexi breathed, he bowed.

 

"My son, come...." The strong voice that commanded the legions of Saron sounded as frail as the body it came from, "Sit..." Alexi sat before his father, folding his hands into his lap.

 

"Out of all my sons, with the exception of Nikolai..." who was now gone from the study, "You show such promise..." The High Father coughed, heaving in pain for a moment. Alexi sat still, silent. He knew his father was strong. "My time is short, for this affliction is something of spite....something deep. Vengeful...." Another coughing fit, "You must take my place, lead Rust so it may prosper as it once did...." Alexi watched his father lean back into his seat, sighing. "It is the only way. When you take your place, your Mother will guide you...yes, but, in the end you must keep Rust above all else." There was a long pause, only the hoarse breathing of the High Father was heard, "Do you understand?"

 

"Yes, Father." Alexi nodded.

 

"Protect yourself, our family, protect Rust....do you hear me boy? Wicked things will materialize now that you are ruler. Rule well, my son. Now, be gone." Alexi nodded, standing. He knew his father was to die.

 

Nikolai waited silently near the doors to the study. He smiled, Alexi smiled lightly.

 

"Do as he says. No matter what." Nikolai whispered. Alexi nodded and followed his brother out of the study. Soon the High Father would die and Alexi shall take his place as the ruler of Rust.

 

"You must ascend to his throne. It is the only way, for Rust commands it, Alexi." Nikolai whispered.

 

"This is too fast."

 

"What is?" Nikolai asked, as he adjusted his glasses, "Taking his mantle?"

 

"Yes."

 

"Are you prepared?" Nikolai beamed at his brother.

 

"I fantasize about it in the night, brother..." Alexi breathed, "It is true. I will crush Issac and Fredrick... fools." Nikolai eyes went wide a moment.

 

"Don't be too hasty," the Archmage suddenly smirked, "High Father." Alexi grinned at the bow his brother gave him. "Do not worry of your brothers. Once you ascend to your position, we shall ...re-tune things. I believe both our efforts will be for the better..." Nikolai lightly touched the white wall of the multi-dimensional room they traveled, "For Rust."

 

"I suppose. We must finish Orleons, how dare they attack us..." Alexi growled, "We should do something, yes?" Alexi looked hopeful. Nikolai rested a hand upon his brother’s shoulder.

 

"In time, patience. The greatest thing a king can possess."

 

Alexi nestled into the embrace of his brother as they strolled through the Saracellum and her magical realities. Soon they headed back to the Saron Tower.

 

The Third Son of Saron, the heir to be, his excitement brimmed. What would that Steward think? He thought. Perhaps I should get a new one, considering my new seat in the House.

 

Nikolai glanced at Alexi for a moment during his musings, merely smiling.

Copyright © 2011 thatboyChase; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..