Jump to content
    thatboyChase
  • Author
  • 7,803 Words
  • 791 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rust - 4. Chapter 4: Revolution

Chapter 4: Revolution

 

"Is something troubling you?"

 

Golden light warmed the glass towers of Rust, as the suns set slowly across the sands of the Openness.

 

"No." Alexi replied. The ascended High Father had taken his seat a day before, in a grand ceremony held in the halls before the Saracellum. With the presence of Nikolai, the Archmage re-connected the City to Alexi in the fountain of magic.

 

It had been several days since Colin had seen his Master.

 

"You ask that often, why?"

 

"Ever since you returned from the Saracellum. You've seemed on edge." Colin shrugged.

 

Alexi said nothing. The wind picked up, as he leaned over the side of the balcony and enjoyed the gusts as they traveled up the Tower. "My mind is awash with...feelings," Alexi said finally, "As if the City speaks to me." Alexi could not explain the sensation, a connection, maybe. Through him the City did breathe, yet the breathing recently had become labored.

 

 

"What does it say?" Colin joined his master at the edge of the balcony.

 

"Nothing you would understand. We will do battle with Orleons soon, are you ready?" Alexi looked to his guardian.

 

"If that is your will, yes. Would that not create conflict?"

 

"Of course it would. They attacked our very home; never in any history has that been done. They must be punished." Alexi nodded.

 

"If that is what you wish, then so shall it be." Colin said, as he gazed out across the City.

 

"If I were to kill Issac and Fredrick, what would you think of me?" Alexi turned, leaning against the balcony railing.

 

Colin opened his mouth and then shut it, unsure of what to say. Finally, he turned and said, "If you see it fit with their removal, then that is what must be done. That is the way of Rust."

 

Alexi stared at Colin for some time, searching for something. Colin said nothing; he only stared across the city.

 

"Then kill Issac."

 

Colin made a noise, "I'm sorry?"

 

"Kill Issac. What do you not understand?" Alexi snarled. "I order you to kill Issac."

 

"I..." Colin choked on his own words, something in his mind pulled him elsewhere, the command of the Bond. "As you say." Is this the right way? The Steward thought.

 

"Tonight, within the next hour. Issac is learned in magic, beware. Now go." Alexi turned back to his City. "Now."

 

Colin nodded. He left the balcony.

 

The Steward left the new, larger pent house altogether. Since Alexi had taken his Father’s place, the high reaches of the Saron Tower were now his playground.

 

As if a dream, dusk slowly crept to complete darkness.

 

Colin drifted down the Tower to the floor that consisted of Issac's quarters.

 

The door to his study was open, Colin entered. It was smaller than that of the High Father’s. Issac's Steward leaned casually against the desk.

 

"You came."

 

"You were expecting me?" Colin smiled slightly.

 

"Why... yes." Issac's Steward smiled back. Colin felt his stomach turn. Was this some trick? Was this Alexi's doing? Colin became furious.

 

"How did you know?"

 

"There are things greater going on, none of which concern you." Issac's Steward swept his hand across light brown hair.

 

"Where is Issac?" Colin was answered by a finger pointing to another pair of doors.

 

"Are you going to kill me?" The Steward asked Colin.

 

"If that is what you want."

 

Issac's Steward sprung from the desk, sliding across the rug to Colin, gripping him at the collar. "Please..." Colin stumbled back slightly under the new weight, grabbing hold of the Steward’s arms. "Please..." he begged, was he trying to hold back laughter?

 

Colin stared into the lost eyes of the Steward. "Why?"

 

"There is nothing more we can do..." A long sigh, "Destiny has already begun."

 

"Destiny?" It was a foreign thought to Colin.

 

"You will understand in time...take this." Colin felt cold steel pushed into his hand, a hilt. Glancing down, a dagger in his palm. "Do it."

 

"No." Colin pushed the Steward off him. "No."

 

"But you must!" The Steward pleaded, "This is how it must be done!"

 

"What must be done?" Colin growled, "You speak riddles."

 

"It has been written. Thousands of times over; across the sand, the sky, in the veins of my blood and yours. You are to kill me, Colin Richardson." With a grunt, the Steward ripped his uniform from his chest to reveal pale skin, "I await my death happily, for I have served Rust as She wanted."

 

The Steward fell a moment later, a gash across his neck. Blood slowly poured from the wound, Colin standing in the middle of a sea of crimson. The dagger limply held between his pale fingers.

 

"Why?" Colin said aloud. Silent tears fell from his eyes.

 

"It has been written." Issac repeated the words, standing in the threshold of the double doors, now open. A gun in his hand. Colin tensed, "Fredrick is dead, as is his Steward. You are here...." Issac laughed, almost drunkenly, "Which means it is time." The son of Saron wandered forward, toward Colin.

 

The Steward did not move. Issac's bare feet slowly traipsed through the pool of blood Colin stood in, replacing the dagger with the gun.

 

Colin looked down at the gun, then to Issac. "Why?"

 

"Do you doubt your purpose to kill, Steward?"

 

Colin felt the weight of the gun, "No."

 

"Do what you will, Steward. I welcome my death."

 

"You say it as if others fear death." Colin raised the gun level with the face of his target.

 

"Rust Herself fears death, fool. She fears the greatest enemy to the City....the Wyrm." Issac pushed his hear nearer the barrel of the pistol. "Change will manifest as a great beast to strike down your disgusting excuse for Mas--"

 

Issac joined his Steward in the pool of blood, a bullet hole seeped blood from his forehead. Colin glanced at the gun then back to Issac. Aiming, he shot the Saron brother again.

 

"Do not speak of the High Father that way." Tossing the gun to the floor, Colin picked up the dagger. Bending down, he began to sever Issac's head. After the messy beheading, Colin stripped the body of the fine crimson suit and wrapped the head within.

 

He arrived back in Alexi's pent house without delay. The High Father was waiting, sitting luxuriously in a divan.

 

"Ah, Steward." Alexi sat up slightly, eyeing the collection of cloth under Colin's arm. The Steward tossed the protected head into the air, the clothing departing the cranium as Issac's pale head rolled to Alexi's feet.

 

"Why?" Colin asked.

 

Alexi stared at the head. His face twitched, unsure what emotion to express. "Rust told me."

 

"The City does not speak!" Colin growled, lunging forward toward Alexi. A flash of magic signaled the arrival of a sword in Colin's hand. Alexi barely escaped, tumbling backwards over the divan. "Do not fill my head with your lies!" Colin roared, as he darted at Alexi. The High Father strafed away, Colin could taste his fear.

 

"Do you oppose my word?" Alexi screamed, dodging another thrust from Colin.

 

"No!" Colin grunted, chasing down Alexi. The sword burst into dust as the Steward tackled his Master to the floor. They wrestled a moment, Alexi letting out exasperated gasps. Colin finally turned him over, straddling against him. He stared daggers into his Master.

 

"I will serve you to the end," Colin whispered, his face flushed, "But I will not kill for you. Not for your pleasure." His grip on Alexi's wrists tightened, the Saron son squirmed.

 

"You have done well." Alexi whimpered. Colin shook his prey, torn between hatred and duty.

 

"What?" Colin felt weak, a breath left his lips and he gazed longingly at Alexi. I ... what is this ....this feeling..?

 

Suddenly the Tower rocked, as if it moved with its own feet. Alexi was thrown from Colin. The Steward steadied himself, sliding after his Master. Grabbing a hold of Alexi, he found refuge for them under the desk. The Tower shook violently once more.

 

Colin could feel the magic surge in the Tower, something was different. Dark clouds breached the horizon, the Steward then looked to his Master. Alexi's breathing was loud. Colin glanced to the window, surveying the clouds. Alexi rose slowly, the shaking had stopped.

 

"Something is wrong..." he whispered. Alexi joined him.

 

"How do you know?"

 

"Your City did not tell you?" Colin did not look at Alexi. The High Father said nothing.

 

Something glittered in the distance. Colin noticed, with a gasp he grabbed Alexi tossing them both to the floor.

 

Moments later the room exploded, glass shattering inwards. Colin crouched over Alexi.

 

After the initial shock, the elevator doors slid open. Nikolai and several magus attendants stormed in.

 

"We are under attack! Come!" Colin hauled Alexi up and dragged him over to Nikolai. They scuttled to the elevator, as Colin noted the envoys who had arrived with Nikolai. They stayed within the room, using magic to erect shimmering purple walls. The elevator doors finally shut.

 

"By who?" Alexi asked.

 

"Orleons, Dredgers, demons. I cannot say. Our communication with the other Houses has been severed." Nikolai seemed frustrated, "You both must leave."

 

"What?" Alexi yelped as the elevator lurched slightly with another shaking of the Tower, "Leave where?"

 

"The City," Nikolai glanced at them, Colin could see fear in his eyes. A dread suddenly filled Colin that he barely imagined existed. If Nikolai is scared...it is the end. "I can get you out."

 

"Where are we to go?" Colin could feel his Master’s fright.

 

"Find the sea." Nikolai whispered. The elevator slowed to a stop. The doors opened, chaos incarnate painted before them.

 

A swirling mass of fire dominated the room. It seemed as if it was living. Something was clouded beneath the soot and flames. Were those claws? Various magus fought the fire elemental with magic. Bodies occupied the floor in charred heaps. Nikolai darted from the elevator, "Come!" With a simple gesture the three were surrounded by swirling orbs of blue light.

 

"The sea?" Colin asked.

 

Nikolai nodded, "Yes. You will find your way."

 

"How will we know when we have reached it?"

 

"You will feel hope again." Nikolai said. The elemental caught sight of them. A roar echoed out that did not belong to any flesh being present. The Archmage ushered Colin and Alexi behind him. "Protect him Colin, forever." Nikolai nodded and charged the elemental. Colin grabbed Alexi and sprinted toward the exit of the Tower.

 

Alexi stumbled along and watched in horror as his brother launched into the swirling mass of fire.

 

Cold air whipped their faces as they stumbled into the street. Moments later the building exploded, glass flying in all directions. Colin and Alexi were separated during the blast, the air sizzling with fire and magic.

 

“Master,” Colin called, looking for Alexi in the wreckage. While looking for Alexi the Steward noticed the City itself was at war. Cars burned, glass shattered, bodies impaled on street lamps. What was going on?

 

Colin heard a groan. His eyes searched violently, his heart racing, tears forming at the edges of his eye, "Where are you?!" He screamed.

 

Alexi slowly crawled up the hood of a car, "Here..." he croaked. Colin almost toppled into his Master.

 

"Can you walk?" He put his arm around Alexi, hoping to heft him up.

 

"Yes...I...I don't need your help." Alexi moved away slightly, stumbling into the street.

 

"We need to leave, like Nikolai said. It is too dangerous here."

 

"Everything is lost." Alexi moaned.

 

"No.... There is Destiny." Colin said suddenly.

 

Alexi looked up, "Destiny?"

 

"There is a plan." Colin held out his hand. "We need to find it."

 

"Did Nikolai tell you this?" Alexi whimpered, "If he is frightened then we truly are finish...." Alexi let his head fall into his hands, "He wants us to leave the City, we will die in the Openness!"

 

Colin knelt next to Alexi, "I don't know, but we must do as he says." Colin grabbed his Master’s arm and hauled him up. "This Destiny, what is it?" Colin urged Alexi to move with his own weight, the Steward could hear shouting through the dim of the smoke down the street. "We must go. I know the Openness...I was trained for it..." Colin’s breathing was labored against the smoke. He figured it to be enchanted, to wither the lungs away until there was no more to breathe. "We should leave here." Colin pulled Alexi.

 

The fallen High Father stumbled under Colin's grip.

 

"Trained? You have never set foot there!" Alexi snarled. He coughed, halting their movement again.

 

"We must do as Nikolai says," Colin urged. "I don't know why, but his command feels right. We must do it." Colin could think of nothing else than leaving the city in its entirety. Would it fall and who would rule it?

 

"You will do as I say!" Alexi fumed. "I am the High Father of Rust and you shall do as I command, Steward!" Colin could feel his mind, helpless against the effects of the Bond.

 

They managed to move away from the dense smoking rolling from the Saron Tower. Before them, a deserted street expanded forward, towering buildings to either side.

 

"Then what do you will, High Father?" Despite his resistance to the Bond, which was almost unheard of in most cases, Colin looked to his Master in obedience.

 

Several paces ahead, the very air ripped open. Four robed men came from the void. Alexi noticed the symbols about their breast, the crest of Orleons.

 

"Get rid of them!" Alexi pointed. Colin nudged Alexi behind him. One of the robed men pointed to them.

 

"Give us the High Father, no more harm will come to Rust."

 

Alexi pushed Colin aside, growling. "Stand down, sons of Orleons." Alexi puffed his chest out, "I, as the High Father, command you to remove your presence from my family’s home! At once!"

 

The men laughed.

 

"The city, nor the houses, serve anyone like you." From the fingers of the man lighting issued. Alexi screamed. Colin lunged forward and, with a swift motion, his arm removed Alexi from harm. A quick incantation brought a shield before Colin, shimmering gold, to deflect the bolt of energy.

 

The robed men stepped back a moment, conferring with one another. Colin glanced to Alexi, the son of Saron watched the men intently.

 

"Stay behind something." Colin warned. Alexi nodded.

 

Colin turned his attention to their attackers, "We will leave the city."

 

"You may leave, but he cannot." The leader of the ambush spoke.

 

"He will leave with me."

 

The man laughed, "You will abide by our terms, or perish."

 

"It is you who shall perish, an attack upon the High Father is only met with the sentence of Death." Colin spoke the ode from memory. He charged forward. The three attackers circled. Colin brought forth from nothing a sword of crystal, striking toward their speaking leader.

 

The man jumped away, avoiding Colin's attack. With quick movements, Colin saw the incantation flicker between the fingers of the Orleons assassin. The Steward found himself rocketing through the air, only to collide with the wall. The pain was easily shrugged off.

 

While collecting his mettle, the two minions went for Alexi. "Master!" Colin called out. Alexi had already seen them and jumped behind a car, he held a pistol, probably from before in the study.

 

A fireball connected with a car near Alexi. The car eradicated, Alexi yelped and skipped another direction. A gunshot was heard, one of the men fell clutching his shoulder. Colin only confirmed that Alexi had the situation under control.

 

The Steward rose only to duck and roll, a torrent of flame connected with the very place he knelt a moment before. The wall scorched. Colin looked to his attacker, the leader, sprinting towards him. The sorcerer could not react fast enough. Colin met battle with a swift elbow to the man’s face. The sorcerer buckled. Another motion was from the Steward's core, sending palms outward to shock his Master’s attacker.

 

Before his palms connected with anything, the sorcerer had become vapor, avoiding the attack. The mist swirled into the air, moving paces away, before becoming solid once more as the sorcerer. Injured, however not down, he growled another spell that made Colin's skin crawl.

 

The ground shook and magic ripped a design in the street. As the magic pulsed, the design glowed brighter, the ground below cracking. Finally breaking downward, a hand slowly rose, caked in flame and burnt flesh. Colin tensed, what was this? Another hand rose from the crater, something was pulling itself up.

 

Colin could feel the spell coming to a finish, whatever his attacker was summoning forth was large. Assessing that danger was imminent, Colin turned and ran.

 

"Master!" Colin roared. He saw Alexi running towards him. Both men were nowhere to be seen, "Where are the others?"

 

"Dead." Alexi breathed heavily. Colin said nothing. He turned, something clouded in black smoke, flames rocketing in intervals from the mass of smoke, crawled from the crater. "What is...."

 

"A demon of sorts, I think. He summoned it. We need to run, Very fast. If we bring it out of the channel range, the bond will break and the thing will return from whence it came. Come on!" The creature, fully formed or not, let out a roar that shattered the windows of the buildings above. Colin and Alexi were nowhere to be seen, the torrent of glass was nothing to the surge of smoke that began to scour the city.

 

Colin and Alexi had made their way to the metro station. Shuffling down the steps, the deserted station felt cold below the streets of Rust. Alexi leaned against the wall, sliding down.

 

"What are we to do?" He asked Colin.

 

"What is your will?" The Steward asked. They then stood in silence for some time, Colin patiently waiting Alexi's reply. From time to time, Colin would feel the demon searching for them above.

 

A simple ward at the steps of the metro station would mask any scent they left. Colin knew the Orleons sorcerer was amateur, the demon must be of low rank. No matter how hard it tried to seem menacing, it could never see through any normal ward. Colin knew beneath the smoke that it was nothing more than an imp, it merely used the smoke and flames to deceive and incite fear.

 

The station rumbled lightly, the signal that a train approached. "I thought..." Alexi said aloud. The train rolled into the station, devoid of peoples, except one who stepped off. Colin stood immediately, putting himself in front of Alexi.

 

As the train tracks sizzled, stopping completely, the doors slid open. A handsome man in a suit strolled out. His hair was immaculate as his clothing and his age was undetermined. Colin felt he was young, however one could never be so sure. Not now, at least.

 

The Steward stared at the stranger, the stranger smiled back. The smile was nothing whimsical; no, it was polite, gentlemanly.

 

"Greetings." He bowed from the waist, "High Father," the eyes of the stranger focused on Alexi, "It is an honor."

 

Alexi slowly stood and found a place next to Colin.

 

"Stay back, Master." Colin said in almost a whisper, "We do not know if..."

 

"I will not harm you." His voice was smooth, a quality of business clung to it. "I am a friend. An ally, if you will. However, only in service."

 

"Prove it." Colin said. "We have been assaulted many times before we arrived here."

 

"I know what has happened and what will happen. I am Kelmaris, a servant of Jordin Blackheart, Lord Magistrate and High Summoner, Defeater of Jaxnaris the Mighty and Slayer of Kortem'lat the Deplorable." Kelmaris then sighed, "It is apart of my contract that I must recite his incredibly childish epithets. If you will come with me, I will take you to him. He has important information that you must behold. Come." With a graceful sweep of his arm, the doors of the train slid open and he stepped aside, "This way."

 

Colin looked to Alexi. The son of Saron nodded.

 

They boarded the train. Kelmaris joined them, the doors slid closed and the train lurched from the station. Kelmaris, smoothing out his suit, sat down. "Sit, please." He gestured to the seats directly across from him.

 

"Who are you, exactly? An attendant of the House Blackheart?" Alexi asked. The High Father noticed that Colin was tense.

 

The Steward was unsure of the stranger.However, his mouth was kept shut.

 

"You could say that. I work exclusively for Jordin Blackheart." There was a disgusted pause, "Lord Magistrate and High Summoner, Defeater..." Alexi held up his hand.

 

"Spare us." Kelmaris smiled, inclining his head to the command, "What information does Blackheart have to offer, then?" Alexi asked. For the young son of Saron, the Blackhearts were an allied family to Saron. However, their obsession with magic had made them seem unfit at times.

 

"When he receives you, he will tell you. I am not at liberty to discuss any of it." There was a pause, "I apologize for the inconvenience."

 

Colin sat forward, elbows balancing on knees. The train swayed slightly, "You are a demon."

 

"I am happy to see someone with competence protects the High Father. Indeed." Kelmaris replied.

 

"Jordin Blackheart summoned you, then?"

 

"You could say that, yes. We made a bargain. A part of that was my service to him," Kelmaris examined his nails, "And as a demon, it is my nature to stand true to my word." A devilish smile followed.

 

"If you only accept orders from him, why did you cease to speak when the High Father ordered you to?" Colin asked, referring to the silencing hand he remembered Alexi giving him often.

 

"There is a difference between manners and servitude," Kelmaris paused once more, glancing at Alexi, "It is a disservice to my kind, demons, when the general idea is that were are malevolent. A vast majority are, some dangerous in ways you cannot even fathom on this plane of existence..." he trailed off, "I am getting far too ahead of myself. There is no need to fear, as I feel it within you, Steward. I am beyond that of trivial imps and fire elementals. I am here to serve." He inclined his head once more.

 

The train began to slow. Kelmaris rose. "We have arrived. Come. The location is secure, my master is rather obsessed with security." As the train stopped, the doors opened and the two followed Kelmaris up the stairs. They skirted along a building, Colin constantly looking for any movement along the streets. Kelmaris strolled without cause or paranoia, perhaps it was the way of his kind.

 

"Do you not fear an attack?" Alexi asked.

 

"I can easily revert any attack, at least from the ones that pursue us currently." Kelmaris replied. Colin’s hand found Alexi's forearm, pulling him closer. Alexi let out a gasp, glancing at his Steward, but said nothing, leaning into him.

 

"Where are they? Here? Now?" Colin asked. He could feel Alexi's fear of death. He frowned. Why does he fear death? I am here.

 

"About the buildings," Kelmaris glanced up as they continued down the street, "They are lacking covertness, which is odd."

 

"But who? Which House?" Colin looked up too, the sun dimly reflected across the skyscrapers. He saw no sign of movement, or life.

 

"Various servitors, demons, of Ordeka Orleons. It seems..." Kelmaris stopped, turning to look up into the sky once more, his hand shot out gripping thin air. Around his fist the air rippled and a ghoulish creature materialized, "One was very near." The creature was grotesque, Colin could not compare it to anything else. It let out a howl of pain it seemed. Kelmaris looked upon the creature with superiority. The imp, if one were to categorize it as such, seemed to notice what had removed its camouflage. It sputtered something.

 

"Speak in the tongue they understand, please." Kelmaris said gently. "I shall release you, do not move, or I shall call upon Felmazoon to access your substance."

 

"Nooooooo!" The creature fluttered from Kelmaris’ hand, "Not the Felmazoon! No! He come with tentacles and take you to the deep, deep places!" The creature held its head, if that was truly a head, as if in pain. "Not him!"

 

"Silence." Kelmaris stepped forward to examine the spy, "You are in the presence of the High Father, ruler of the very ground you desecrate," he paused, bringing his eyes fully on Colin, "And his valiant savior...and guardian, the Steward."

 

The imp nodded fervently, "Me know. Me know."

 

"What do they call you?" Kelmaris asked.

 

"Skepmiko, my Great Lord Kel---" The elder demon moved his hand through the air, silencing Skepmiko.

 

"Speak not epithets, imp. Why do you look upon us? Who has sent you? I know others are near, far more powerful than you. They intend to kill... why?" Kelmaris did not lower his hand, he looked to Colin and Alexi, "It could be a trap, so, naturally, be on your guard." Colin nodded, "My Master wishes to know who pursues you, as many currently are. It will help us, help you." Alexi nodded in return, eager to hear what this imp had to say. Colin was concerned with the surroundings. Did something move behind that car? A reflection glittered out of the corner of his eye.

 

With the lowering of his hand, Skepmiko sputtered again, "No fair, you is no fair! Silence Skepmiko so he no speak, me no help." It folded little arms.

 

"Then I shall call Felmazoon."

 

"Oh no, no him! No! Me beg!" Skepmiko let out an exasperated sigh.

 

"Then answer my question." Kelmaris asked plainly. Colin noticed the calm the demon reserved, even if more were surrounding them, hidden by their wicked magic.

 

"I no say, no say. Code of Undrenworld." Skepmiko shook an ugly head. Kelmaris sighed.

 

"I do not even follow that Code," Kelmaris shrugged, "Have it your way, imp." The superior entity stepped back, forming his fingers into a symbol Colin had never seen. Kelmaris spoke and the words did not seem words, it was pure power. Skepmiko heard and understood. He began to howl uncontrollably.

 

"No call! No call! Fine, me tell." The imp slouched in the air, still fluttering the leathery wings.

 

Kelmaris stopped instantly, a slender eyebrow rose as he awaited the response.

 

"Me Master be Ordecka Orleons. He bring brothers of me, but they more power. Me just spy. Me look at places. Me make information for Master." Skepmiko let out a whimper, "Skepmiko failed."

 

"My Master can remove the bonds your Master has upon you. Ordecka Orleons may be a House Sorcerer, but his binds on you are rather weak. Perhaps he doubted your power?" Kelmaris said in a flat tone.

 

"What? Skepmiko powerful! Just no power like you, or many brothers. Skepmiko do things right! Sometime."

 

"I am doubtful that your Master thinks you the same." Kelmaris shrugged. "Do your brothers wish to devour us? I am rather hungry, if they wish to show themselves." Kelmaris smirked, Skepmiko shivered under the stony gaze of his superior.

 

"No, no brothers. Skepmiko lie. They left long ago when they smell you. Me know you were hungry. No eat Skepmiko?"

 

"You would barely sate my appetite, creature," Kelmaris chuckled, "We must depart, as we are late." Kelmaris turned, gesturing Colin and Alexi to follow. They did. Colin had let Alexi go, since the fear of attack was gone. For a moment the Steward felt safe with Kelmaris, strange as it was to feel "safe" with a demon.

 

Alexi looked back to Skepmiko, it watched them walk away. "What will it do now?"

 

"It may report back to Ordecka, which is of no use. If Skepmiko had companions, they are gone. It could have been a trick, since I can easily sense them. They might have only been in a small number; however, any clever demon can make more when there is only one." Kelmaris stopped before a tall building. It seemed mostly abandoned, tattered paper whipping out from the windows, a feeble attempt to protect from the mid-day gales that blew off the Openness. "Here."

 

They entered the decrepit building. The vaulted lobby was cold, however Kelmaris walked around the debris as if he had walked it many times before. "This way."

 

He led them to the furthest elevator shaft, entered the contraption and soared upward. "Do not mind the tingling, it is merely my Master’s wards accessing you." The demon nodded. Alexi and Colin both felt their skin crawl, something probing with pressure behind their eyes.

 

"And if we do not pass?" Colin asked.

 

The demon looked to him, with a smirk. "You die."

 

The elevator slowed and the door opened to a strange laboratory. The room itself was no room, an entire floor renovated. The walls had been brutishly taken down. Book shelves had been hauled up lazily, the large scrapes on the walls near them answered this. The windows surrounding the edge of the office floor were broken, silks of various colors fluttered from the broken columns, defending against the wind.

 

"Kelmaris?" The voice was high pitched, excited.

 

"Yes, Master. We have arrived."

 

"Splendid! Oh splendid! Joyous!" The voice moved along the silks. Colin noticed a dim shadow moving around fervently. "Let me.... oh, let me remove these." A shadowy hand moved into the air and the silks were lifted without physical means. The laboratory expanded further. Various electronics whirred, beakers and graduated cylinders bubbled.

 

Colin noticed odd circles on the ground, summoning circles. Some had been edited, others completely stamped out. Only the dust clung to the ground in a feeble attempt to maintain the circle it once held.

 

Alexi had wandered away, staring at three large arches made of a metallic substance. The arches took up a vast portion of the western part of the office floor.

 

"Greetings!" Colin looked to the voice. A small man, he had on a simple robe of blue. Silver lines glittered across the hems, Colin noticed they were runes. Did they just move across the fabric? "I am Jordin Blackheart, at your service." He bowed. Colin nodded, glancing at Alexi. "Oh!" Jordin scuttled to Alexi. Colin noted that the sorcerer was aged, but he could not understand how old Jordin could actually be. Some said Jordin Blackheart knew the founder of Rust, Trellian the Rapturous.

 

"These...are..." Alexi was in awe.

 

"Yes, three of the Gates, from the Room of Gates! My, it took me ages to find that room. I went through countless demons... your father and I..." he paused, a hand lightly patting Alexi's shoulder, "A sound man, indeed, he toiled with me in your very library....yes, your library!" He rubbed his chin, "A great library...and you know, with the aid of that smart brother of yours... what was his name?"

 

"Nikolai?" Alexi said.

 

"Ah, yes! The Archmage, a smart boy, yes...we found the room! One of the Gates...yes, the Fourth was destroyed. By what, we do not know."

 

"Where did it go?" Alexi asked.

 

"Your father said it went to a place we could only dream of. Yes. Another place where the sky would hold houses of white smoke, one bright light gleamed to light the day. There was water, as far as the eye could see.... A pity, whatever destroyed it supposed we shouldn't have gone." Jordin shrugged, "They say there is water near here... somewhere. The sea." Jordin glanced to Kelmaris. "Have you seen the sea?"

 

"I have, Master." Kelmaris nodded.

 

"What is it like?" Colin asked.

 

"I cannot explain emotion, for I have none. Perhaps one day you shall know."

 

"Nikolai told us we would find hope if we reached the sea." Colin said. Jordin rushed to him.

 

"Ah! Nikolai had already told you. I forgot. Yes. Alright." Jordin then, despite his apparent age, zipped around his laboratory. "Kelmaris, fetch the items I listed out earlier. Bring them hither!" The demon nodded and vanished deep into the laboratory.

 

"Nikolai said you would help us. How? With what?" Alexi asked, turning from the Gates for a moment.

 

"We must save Rust, High Father!" Jordin nodded, he was now seated reviewing strangely scrawled notes.

 

"From what? Rust is power, Rust shall never fall." Alexi spoke, as if to the very people of the City.

 

"It is, indeed. For She is great, but... Rust must fall. It is sad, but, that is where you come in. You must start anew." Jordin nodded, still reviewing his notes.

 

"Why me?" Alexi asked. "We should crush Orleons, you would help, as our families have been allies for sometime. Let us remove them and we can restore order!" Alexi face flushed.

 

"It is not like that, High Father," Jordin rose to face Alexi, "Something more is at work, something I cannot understand, even though I try. Nikolai either. We have an idea though!" He held up a finger, "And, given the places I have been, the various worlds and the like, an idea can be a great thing." He smiled brightly. "Come, there is nothing to fear, Nikolai and I have toiled years over how to properly start you on your quest."

 

"Quest?" Colin raised an eyebrow, skeptical.

 

"Well, yes. A quest, of sorts. If you don't wish to go you may stay and die here. However, you are not supposed to die actually. So you MUST go."

 

"What?" Colin breathed slowly, "What does that mean?"

 

"That you will not die?" Jordin looked to Colin as if he were mad, "What do you not understand?"

 

"Ever?" Colin asked.

 

"Oh, yes," Jordin chuckled, "Yes, you will die. Sometime, but it is not here. So they said."

 

"They?" Alexi joined them near one of Jordin's cluttered desk.

 

"The Witches of the Waste, those three annoying women. My, my, trivial brutes they. Nikolai and I, more so him, he is far more handsome than I, were able to translate their sermons." Jordin moved around Alexi and his Steward to another desk.

 

"The Witches of the Waste tell prophecies; they were once daughters of Blackheart." Colin said.

 

"Very good, you know our history. Yes, my nieces. Very strange girls, however most of their ravings have come true. Which is terrifying, how can one know something is going to happen before it happens? A strange concept and even the most powerful sorcerers cannot acquire or control it." Jordin glanced through the curtains, "Where is that demon, a flighty fellow him."

 

"Destiny. Nikolai said Destiny." Alexi offered.

 

"Ah yes, we found that to be the name. I wish I could live longer to research it." Jordin appeared sad.

 

"Do you know the outcome of everything?" Colin inquired, "Do you know when my Master will die? What of you? Others of Rust?"

 

"I enjoy a mind that questions! Perfect! You, Steward, are fit to be much more. Yes... a noble of sorts. Yes!" Jordin had changed from sad to joyous again, "We do not know all, only the very events happening now. My nieces preached of Rust and how she must Fall!"

 

"That is all you know?" Colin asked, the blush was still leaving his cheeks. A noble of Rust? Really?

 

"For the most part, yes. We know that you two must leave. We do not know why, but your safety is paramount. Strange, I know; you two, unlikely fellows. But perhaps if we do this, it will all go ..according to plan?" Jordin shrugged, "Truly fascinating. Sadly, I do die within the hour. However, it is to protect you." He paused, glancing out through the silk veils over the City, "For Rust, which is where the formula ends, in the end. We must save Rust. For She is all we have."

 

"No," Alexi shook his head. "You shall come with us. Your knowledge is boundless. Where do we go? What must we do?"

 

"You seem very frightened as High Father. Why?" Jordin smiled, "You are Rust, now. Can you not hear Her? Does She not weep? She calls for help. Her children have gone against her, the Orleons, and with the help of those Dredgers. A sad sort, those Dredgers. We removed them, most of them. They helped in taking down the wards in your family’s Tower. We found out this later." Jordin nodded.

 

"I can hear Rust..." Alexi said, "She...wishes us to leave."

 

"Precisely, so you may figure a solution to this clearly...annoying problem." Jordin sighed.

 

"Lord Blackheart?" Colin asked, quietly.

 

"Yes, Grand Steward?"

 

Colin stared a moment, blinking. "W-what?"

 

"What is wrong?" Jordin raised an eyebrow.

 

"Pardon, but I am merely a Steward. I do not wear the..." Jordin rushed forward and with a slap of his hands, Colin was thrust back stumbling.

 

"Now you do!" Colin glanced down at his uniform, it gleamed crimson. The golden runes, he could feel them, protecting him. Protecting Alexi. "You protect the High Father, so why not? Do you approve, Alexi?"

 

Alexi was examining the Gates; he glanced back, surveying Colin. His face blank, Colin was hopefully that Alexi would be happy, but he did not feel it. "Fine."

 

Jordin nudged Colin quietly, "What a sour puss, my my." The sorcerer shook his head. Colin smiled lightly, but his mind was elsewhere. Thinking of Alexi.

 

"Now, come you two. I have information sent by Nikolai and other things to speak of before I see you off." He glanced out over the City, noting the sun setting, "My time draws near. Thankfully, Kelmaris and I will remove many of the threats that follow you into the Openness." Jordin took a deep breath, "Listen well, please."

 

Alexi and Colin focused on the sorcerer of Blackheart, he told them their charge.

 

"An ancient evil chooses to grasp our organs, loosen our veins, to end us all!" Jordin paced, "We must destroy it! The Wyrm stirs and so do the dark armies it commands! Beware the creature beneath the sands, it can seep into your mind! Guard your fears, guard your soul while in the Openness. Many things will sway you from your path, you must not oblige them! They shall deceive you with a beautiful feast when you are most hungry....they will have an oasis materialize when it is most hot! Trust only yourselves. You will find those who will help you, because they must, when you meet them you shall know in your heart." He was not standing before them, a finger pointing directly at Alexi's heart, "You will know here who is right and who will harm you. Trust each other; for without each other, the Wyrm shall overcome!" Jordin began to pace again, "Wondrous things lie in the waste, some you might not understand, old ghosts of empires long past. If you wish to explore, do so! It is your purpose. Find a new place to build, we must re-build. If we don't, we shall be all lost. Beware the night, for they move swiftly in it. Beware the brothers and the liquid that falls from the sky! A great hunter will assist you, with his great hunting hound, a man who sings ballads will aid you to the sea. All these things we know, yet we know so little exactly about them, but it was told to us by the Witches, so therefore, it must be true! The Wyrm will turn you upon another with its wicked magic, it will rend your flesh and tear your soul, you mustn't let it do so. If in the end, you think all is lost, believe in Rust and think of what She would do." Jordin nodded. "Any questions?" He smiled brightly, "I must die soon, so make haste."

 

"I understand." Alexi said firmly. Colin felt his heart flutter.

 

"And I."

 

"Good! Ah...Kelmaris, finally." Jordin bustled up to his demon. The demon had returned with a brown knapsack. "Perfect, the items needed. Here." He took them from Kelmaris and handed them to Colin. The Steward took the sack, it felt light. "The sack is enchanted, it may hold more than it seems. Use it well. Take this vial, within is some sort of healing liquid. I think, at least. I found it in the Openness. I am fairly confident it is benevolent. Only use it when you must. Incase it attempts to stop your heart, or breathing, that sort of thing," He smirked and handed it to Alexi, the son of Saron took it.

 

Thunder peeled across the sky. Dark clouds approached over the horizon, moving at speeds beyond that of Nature, if Nature existed in Rust.

 

"Master, they come. We must hurry." Kelmaris said calmly. Colin looked to the horizon, darkness came quickly. Was this the Wyrm? The stories I have heard, the thing to fear the most?

 

"Yes, yes, I know. We have a moment. Colin," Jordin looked to the Steward, he snapped his fingers, "Focus, Steward, focus. I will activate a Gate here. It will take you to the Moran Crossing. From there, you will see a great tower, go towards it. You shall never reach it, ever. Do not try. Do not long to reach it. It is an ancient tower, an old sorcerer lived there, perhaps he still is there. He did many terrible things. I should know, he was my Master. Do not go!" Jordin nodded and went to the middle Gate. Colin felt the magic and saw the sorcerer’s hand move in quick motions. The runes etched deeply into the metallic of the Gate shimmered. "The only way to Moran Crossing is through a small Hole I have created."

 

"A Miasma Hole?" Colin asked.

 

"Yes, very good. Within is a servitor of mine, a lovely demon, his name is Felmazoon. He shall guide you to the Moran Crossing. From there, your journey begins. Remember all I have said." Jordin nodded. Kelmaris stepped forward.

 

"I wish you both success." And it was all the demon said. It stood behind its master, the dark clouds approaching. The Gate began to whirr and the thunder became louder.

 

"What of Nikolai?" Alexi asked, approaching the Gate. The space which consisted of the threshold began to fill with light, or was it liquid? Shimmering and whirling into an image that was known and unknown.

 

"What of him? He has done his part." Jordin looked to the dark clouds, now grasping Rust itself.

 

"Is he dead?" Alexi asked, his voice weak.

 

Jordin laughed, "I am sure he lives well, only with the intentions to help you. Now go! You must!" The building shook, thunder peeled harder and harder across the sky. Alexi made for the Gate.

 

Colin looked to the horizon, the darkness in the clouds stirred. Crimson orbs stared at him, with hate. He could see Kelmaris tense, Jordin began to utter ancient words. The clouds opened slightly, figures stood in them, a dark army. Their eyes glowing, wings that flapped, leathery, from their shoulders. One raised a hand into the air.

 

"Leave now!" Jordin urged. Lightning struck the very tower they were in. The building shook. Alexi stumbled, grabbing Colin's wrist.

 

A chorus rose over the thunder, loud, piercing. It was poisonous...evil, trembling the very soul Colin chose to protect. The army of the Wyrm spoke in unison.

"Feel unload...final blow
We the animals take control
Hear us now.....clear and true...Filthy animals...beat them low...no more shall these Suns beat on you!
WRETCHES AND KINGS WE COME FOR YOU!"

The ending chorus given by the army are effectively lyrics from a Linkin Park song. I felt they were fitting with the situation, however, Mike Shinoda is still a tool.
Copyright © 2011 thatboyChase; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..