Jump to content
    W_L
  • Author
  • 5,705 Words
  • 979 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Phoenix on the Dragon Chair - 1. The Phoenix on the Dragon Chair

The Phoenix on the Dragon Chair

By W.L

It was beautiful bright sunny day: birds were singing and children were running around the schoolyard waiting to return to their homes to the X-BOX in the living room. Yet beyond this Hallmark image of an ideal world, there lurks something beneath. Behind the schoolyard, a solitary building, a small wooden bungalow, sat awaiting guests. Shrouded men with various bags and suitcases would come and go throughout the day, but this place was no ordinary place of business. Each visitor came armed with both intent and a gun for protection, expecting either reward or betrayal, perhaps a bit of both.

 

The proprietor of the place was an elderly man. His oriental features make him look like a wise old sage or even a grandfatherly figure. He appears from time to time welcoming his customers to his home with the aid of a cane at his side. However, beyond the cordial welcome, the elderly man was completely remorseless and unrelenting to his customers. The entranceway leads to a parlor, where decades earlier some family might have had their television or radios, but today, a large mahogany table sat with a rough oak chair on one end and a richly stuffed leather chair on the other. At each side of the leather chair stood armed young men, who were clad in black from their head to toe. At one corner stood an altar with a red and green bearded jade figure, with the Chinese character “Honor, Brotherhood, and Fidelity”.

 

Most times, it would be the elderly man sitting in the leather chair, but occasionally a younger man would sit there who was probably in his mid-twenties in appearance. His real name was Bryan Fung Huang, but most people refer him to his nickname “Phoenix” after the Chinese phonetic sound of his name. Phoenix didn’t exude the air of confidence or relentless pursuit as his counterpart; he seemed more subdued and held very little enthusiasm for what he was doing. During these occasions, the elderly man would appear behind him and give glances of agreement or nods of disagreement as is the traditional custom.

 

This routine had been occurring more and more recently, which troubled Phoenix as he knew the inevitable point would arrive soon. He was chosen to succeed the elder man. He had been orphaned at a young age due to peculiar circumstances, which he never heard the full truth about. The elder man raised him as his “uncle”, though they possess no biological relations, but the elder man said that his father was his “brother” and he promised to take care of him.

 

Phoenix had many “brothers”, who grew up with him under their “uncle’s” care. He was taught at a young age about the dangers of their world, the ruthless nature of the business that he was born into, and the cruel fate that many of his brothers would fall as they entered their teenage years. Many times, his “brothers” fell to “outsiders”, who were trying to muscle their way into their territory. However, at times, it was one of his “brother’s” own machinations that led to the other’s death. This fratricidal tendency led their “uncle” to perform “family law”, a Chinese ritual of the most severe and gruesome nature. First, the aggressor would be removed from the secret records, written in an ancient variant of Chinese script that is no longer in use. Second, the aggressor would be stripped of all his clothing and savagely beaten by all his brothers, without regards to age or level. Third, they were branded with hot iron to form a simple calligraphic character of “traitor”. Finally, if he survived all those trials, the head of the family, “uncle” in this case, may decide if he warrants some mercy based on his good work or deserve one of many deaths available under tradition, like the thousand stabs or the removal of vital parts.

 

Out of all his brothers, he was the one determined to leave this cycle, but it was due to his lack of ambition that his “uncle” chose him to succeed him. Phoenix was not without ambition; he was your stereotypical over-achieving Chinese boy and held an MBA at the young age of 21 from a good college on the east coast. He had a good job after college and recently he had found someone to share those lonely nights with named Michael.

 

Yet, his uncle had forced his hand. Either he accepted his responsibilities or branded a “traitor” as family must always come before personal pursuits. Phoenix knew he was made an offer he could not refuse, so he had to give in. Phoenix never returned to his apartment, nor answered any of Michael’s calls. Some days, he wondered if his old boyfriend had searched for him or if his name was in the missing person’s list, but he would periodically ask the cops on his “uncle’s” take and search the internet for his name without success. At times, he feared the worst had occurred and one of his “brothers” had killed Michael to eliminate the final bridges to his old life. Yet, they would have had to know his secret to do that and only his three most trusted brothers knew. His “uncle” never seemed aware of that particular detail or if he did, he did not want to talk about it.

 

In truth, his uncle only concerns were the “family”, his family was being split into many factions and rivalries had grown as he aged, especially between two strongest factions, Jordan Chang Cheng, nicknamed “Long Gun”, and Billy Dai Dao, nicknamed “Big knife”. There were also new opponents in the market, who were disrupting his business with deadly consequences to the territory he oversaw and his family. The O’Halloran outfit with permission from the patriarchs of the New England had begun making moves into his territory, dislodging buyers, and collecting from his clubs. Facing enemies from within and outside, he knew that bringing Phoenix back into the fold would bring a breakthrough to both as he could tactically maneuver through his brothers’ factions and keep the family alive in this new environment of constant warfare from all sides.

 

At the announcement that Phoenix would succeed the old man, many of his brothers were surprised and some extremely angered, especially “Big Knife”, who had thought that he had the best claim as the one with most allies, clients, and properties around their territory. “Big knife” would not be deterred so easily from the power that he rightfully believed was his own. “Long Gun” took it with stride as he wanted to see what Phoenix could do before he made his move.

 

Luckily for Phoenix, he was not alone. Adam Sak Sum, “Stone Heart”, Allan Yuen Kwai, “Vengeful Spirit”, and Chris Zhong Liang, “Loyal Thought” were still his best and most committed friends and brothers, particularly due to their shared histories and secret. Like Phoenix, all of them had tried to leave the family; especially the highly intelligent and skilled Chris, who had finished his own schooling years in advance of Phoenix, returned. Their “uncle” had used various methods from blackmail to outright kidnapping to get them to return back into the fold. As Chris with his advanced knowledge of the ancient stories would relate in the Chinese idiom, they were all “Bi sang liang shan” or “forced to go up Mount Liang”, a phrase from the famous novel, Water Margin. None of them had willingly wanted to retrace the steps of their parents, but there was no way to avoid it.

 

Phoenix was closest to Adam or “Stone Heart”, who he shared an age old romance that never quite worked out due to bad timing and problems with their lives. They both trusted each other nearly implicitly and could communicate without words, when they used to work together collecting from “uncle’s” rackets. They were each other’s first lovers and neither truly had wished to end it, but when Phoenix went to college far away from the family, they both assumed that it had ended. “Stone Heart” lives up to his name; he was the most remorseless and strongest enforcers in the entire family. Despite “Long gun” and “Big knife’s” power base, neither of them could seem to gain his confidence. He had left the family to start up his own restaurant, until his “uncle” made a surprise visit and the next morning, the restaurant was burned to the ground. “Stone Heart” was able to collect a good amount of insurance money, which he gave to his employees and bid them to never see him again.

 

Outside “Stone Heart”, Chris or “Loyal Thought” was the next closest person to Phoenix. They both shared an intellectual bond with one another, while “Loyal Thought” was always smarter. “Loyal Thought” had the capacity to predict the actions and motivations of others and was well received as the next in line to be the next “Gwun Si” or “chief strategist” in the family, second in command only to the head of the family. While seemingly cold to many people, he possessed a soft spot for his close friends and to his secret lover, Allan, or the “Vengeful Spirit”. “Loyal Thought” had become a business consultant after graduating early from college and was successful in avoiding the family, but one night he had a few drinks too many. The next morning he woke up with blood on his hands and a dead female prostitute in a motel room. It was a set up, but there was nothing he could do except join the family.

 

Phoenix and Allan, “Vengeful Spirit”, have potentially the most brotherly relationship of the group. Phoenix is 5 years his senior, so he always viewed “Vengeful Spirit” as a little brother. In turn, “Vengeful Spirit” looked up to Phoenix. In terms of personality, “Vengeful Spirit” lives up to his name, while not possessing the remorseless drive of “Stone Heart”, the leadership capacity of Phoenix, or the intellect of “Loyal Thought”, he held a strong emotional core. If you wronged him or his family in anyway, he would not rest until justice was served, usually by cutting the perpetrator into small bits and feeding them to his Rottweiler, Howie. “Vengeful Spirit” as a teenager followed “Loyal Thought”, when he left for college. He would work at odd jobs like a grocery store clerk, messenger, or a waiter throughout that time. His lover had tried to get him into finishing his GED, but he didn’t see much use in an education as all he knew was what he needed to know and “Loyal Thought” would know the rest. When “Loyal Thought” was entrapped by their “uncle” into rejoining the family, he rejoined despite protest from “Loyal Thought”. In truth, he could not abandon his lover and brother as he made the solemn vow in his heart that whether in life or death, he’d never abandon him.

 

After a few weeks of visits and deals, Phoenix called his three “brothers” to a meeting to discuss the future. They had assembled at a gay bar on the outskirts of town, far away from the safety and danger of their “family” and its enemies. They each arrived separately in total secret, then sat face to face at the furthest table to avoid the cruising crowd.

 

Phoenix began the meeting, “Guys, we have problem.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit” mockingly held up his cup, “Yeah, that cocksucker gave me beer. I said Mint Mojito.”

 

“Loyal Thought” slapped his lover in the back of his head, “Don’t be retarded, Phoenix wants to talk about our cash problem.”

 

Phoenix eyed “Stone Heart”, who nodded: “As you know, Big Knife and Long gun have been at this a lot longer. They call distribution networks and own almost every major business in our territory. We are only operating out of “uncle’s” regular distributors, which might be profitable, but it is a finite resource as these guys are starting to join up with Big knife or Long gun.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit” took a swig of his drink, burped, and lashed out, “Fuck them, we don’t want to be here in the first place, so why should we care?”

 

“Loyal Thought” face lit up in contemplation, “Think about it, when “uncle” dies, we’re the ones holding the baggage. In order to get legitimacy, Big knife or Long gun must take us out, then take the other one out. Unless, we can protect ourselves through the business, we’re screwed.”

 

Everyone nodded with the explanation, Phoenix continued his early thought “We got to make more money and recruit our own guys.”

 

“Stone Heart” finally uttered his first words, “They need to be gay.”

 

The three others looked at him incredulously, they all swore in Chinese with things that translators would never comprehend without visiting an outhouse, a chicken coup, and a whore house in China.

 

“Stone Heart” took another large gulp of the beer and waited for his friends to stop their swearing, then continued “Shit, look, these new guys have to be different from the others, they’ll be your honor guard and most trusted officers. You need guys who want to follow you; even if they know you’re not banging chicks. They might not all be Asian or even guys, but can anyone else think of a better group?”

 

Everyone looked at “Loyal Thought”, who had a strange look over his face as if he remembered something, “It could work, but we will need more than just guys. We need a new source of income. Cocaine, heroin, meth, and even weed are not options anymore. Big knife and Long gun have cornered the market on the blubs, so we can’t depend on that for money. I am thinking we need to go into a new racket, maybe even something that people will accept.”

 

Phoenix nodded, “I got a crazy idea, I want to try to short the European derivatives in the short term to make quick cash. No matter what happens in Greece, they aren’t coming out of this at $1.47 to each Euro. We have about $10 million between the four of us, if we use margins and leverage, we can turn that into $50 million within a few weeks. If the values continue to fall, we might even make more.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit” and “Stone Heart” both looked at each other like Phoenix had just been speaking in tongues, but “Loyal Thought” nodded to his brother’s suggestion.

 

“Loyal thought” agreed with Phoenix, but he wanted to do more, “Phoenix, it’s a great idea to get us into a better position in terms of cash to build up our forces. However, we need long term cash flow beyond just making good gambling bets. I want to get us into loan business.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit” nodded, “But aren’t we already in the loan business? I mean Stone Heart has been breaking legs for years and we’re collecting 15% interest almost daily.”

 

At that moment, Phoenix understood what Loyal thought had conceived, “No, it’s brilliant. Everyone right now needs money for things like mortgages and auto payments, since all those thrift banks went under back in 2008. There hasn’t been anything filling in for them. We’re talking about a market that used to have over $2 trillion dollars at their peak. The prices for homes are underwater and we can buy them out at a really low price. Then, we have a constant stream of cash coming through even if we charge only 3 or 4% interest. We’ll help people keep their houses and gain a strong foothold throughout the city. People can go without cocaine and weed, but they can’t go without a car or house. All we need to do is keep it reasonable, payable, and we’ll never have to worry.”

 

“Stone Heart” chimed in as his head finally flickered with the possibility, “What these banks couldn’t do with the payments, we can do with force. We can start slowing down the drug trade and even banning it from our territories; there would be no need. We can stand outside the “amigos” control and really do our own thing.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit” still didn’t get it, so he simply laughed it off, “Well, does that mean we’re “cleaning our hands” of the business.”

 

“Loyal Thought” quickly answered, “Nah, we’re just evolving it. Banks have been acting like loan sharks for years charging 15-20% interest with some paper from the government. We’re going to be their exact opposite, charging a small rate and enforcing it. We won’t have to answer to anyone, the cops will be happy that we’re not selling drugs anymore, so they won’t care. The only guys that give a fuck are the IRS or some suit that can barely arrest a white collar executive. You think they can round enough guys to take on semi-automatics or assault rifles.”

 

A random thought came to “Vengeful Spirit’s” mind that refocused his perspective, “It’s all good, but we have more serious problems beyond money and gay guys. I heard “Big knife” is trying to pull together a contract against you Phoenix. It can come any day now; we might not have any time for all this shit. If you guys are okay with it, I can take some Tec-9’s and finish off that fucker.”

 

“Stone Heart” quickly frowned, “You’ll die for nothing, he’s got an army behind him and you won’t get close enough to even pull a zipper before they drill holes through you. We can’t take him out without some plans.”

 

The four “brothers” spent the night at the gay bar discussing their future strategies, ideas, and the bloody path that stands in front of them. It seemed very strange, even queerer than usual, to many guests of the gay bar that a group of tough Asian guys would be sitting together in a corner talking, drinking, and laughing. Yet, no one even tried to make a pass at them as a single look from either “Stone Heart” or “Vengeful Spirit” discouraged any onlooker.

 

In the next few weeks, they each went about their plans. “Stone Heart” went about searching for disaffected gay guys through every possible means from internet blogs and tweets to making discreet visits to a runaway hot spot, where teenagers put out for tricks. Phoenix and “Loyal Thought” began their financial strategy, quickly making more than their $50 million target, despite the precautions they took to avoid money laundering and RICO laws. “Loyal Thought” had bought several small pawn shops across the city. Then, they began spreading the rumors of a new type of financing. “Vengeful Spirit” began expanding his weapons deals through both legitimate contracts to a security company that they had set up as a front and dozens of black market dealers. While they were making these moves, everyone else in the family was taking noticed, including “uncle” and their two brothers. Big Knife grew restless and began preparing for the eventual war that would follow for succession. Long gun could no longer sit on the side lines either and began making discreet inquiries with mysterious powers outside the “family”.

 

When “Uncle” had to enter the hospital after a blood vessel blew in his coronary artery, the stage was set for a showdown. All the pieces were in play.

 

When the elderly man died, the entire “family” got together to plan for a funeral befitting the “head” of a “family”. White drapes, urns, incenses, candles, and ghost money were purchased for the occasion. While “uncle” was a devout Baptist, the “family” had to honor him in the traditional manner by calling in the “best” Taoist and Buddhist priests to perform ceremonial rites. The Taoist priest held a traditional sword dance to open the path to the underworld and vanquish spirits that might be blocking their “uncle’s” way. The Buddhist priest sat and chanted to their “uncle’s” spirit about letting go of the “world held in red” and entering the afterlife peacefully. “Uncle’s” Baptist minister was invited to the event, but he did not know what to make of these exotic rituals and rites, nor of the armed men that surrounded the white draped funeral home. The minister had never known of the business that “uncle” was involved in; he knew only that he was a wealthy man, who made large contributions monthly to the church. He nervously read a few words from Psalms and bid his dead parishioner peace, then discreetly left the building as fear swept through his heart.

 

“Big Knife” kept his focus on Phoenix and his group throughout the procession and rituals. The armed guards at the funeral were not loyal to him or “Long Gun”. They were their “uncle’s” old guard, who would be offered the opportunity to be released from services upon the 7th day of services in an elaborate ritual with golden bowls of water and blood. In this way, they were the last line of veteran soldiers that Phoenix could still call upon to protect himself. If Phoenix had wanted to “clean house”, he would have to do it in the next 7 days, so “Big Knife” and “Long Gun” were on guard for a sneak attack. “Big Knife” in particular had wanted a few more days to finalize the contract with a certain Thai man of Chinese descent, who specialized in poisoning, but his “uncle’s” early death delayed his plans for 7 days.

 

According to Chinese superstition, the spirit of the deceased will return on the 7th day to finish the work that he could not finish in life and leave messages for his loved ones. If they are disturbed by internal family dispute or external intrusion, they would curse the offenders with several lifetimes of bad luck and horrible deaths. Beyond the superstition, the reality was that other “families” were keeping a close eye under their traditional rules of succession for the next 7 days. Perhaps, their “uncle” had known of “big Knife’s” plans in advance and hastened his own death for Phoenix’s ascension. To disrespect the tradition, the highest penalty of “living death” was imposed, which would keep everyone in line for a few more days. The “Living Death” ritual makes being branded and killed as a “traitor”, seem merciful, but only rumors existed on how it would commence as only a joint vote from the heads of neighboring families would allow this action. However, its threat was enough to discourage misbehavior.

 

For 7 days, things were normal, bags and suitcases were filled with an assortment of products from the little house behind the schoolyard, people got their legs broken for not paying their debts on time, except if you borrowed from “Loyal Thought”, and the payoffs to the cops remained level. Even the undercover cops and spies in the family did not understand what to make of the lull in planning from the family, everything seemed to have gone back to normal.

 

On the 7th day, or “Ngau tit”, a large feast was held at a Chinese restaurant late at night after all the tourists and locals had left. A few ignorant out-of-towners might try to gain entry, but they were soon dissuaded by the tough black suited guards waiting at the door of the restaurant.

 

The inside of the restaurant was dead silent as every leader and their group assembled to their designated tables. Hours passed as no one said a word in the candle lit room, where the smell of incense and burning paper was strong. The servers for the event were told to not make eye contact, nor make more than the most minor sound, unless they wanted to end up dead. Of course the servers would be well compensated for their hard work with about 4 months of salaries and even bonuses, which is customary. Even the chefs in the back get extra compensation for this type of event, since even one drop of the wrong spice could send their entire life into hell. The owner is paid no less or more than $777,777.77 exactly for the entire event, the number being a symbolic Chinese numerological aspect of longevity and death. The rewards are great and the penalties severe if even one thing went wrong at this event.

 

At the stroke of midnight, marking the end of the 7th day, a joint sigh was released from everyone in attendance at the feast. Now comes the time of succession, Phoenix stood up to give his speech:

 

“To all my brothers and to our distinguished friends, I am honored to see us joined today in memory of my “uncle”. He spent his life serving our “family”; there is no shame in his death, which comes as something special. Few of us can choose the way that we die, but his death was soft and painless. We should be happy for him on this day,” applause sprang from the room, “…Now, we must embark on the future that he has set before us. I promise you that no one here shall want for anything, even if a “Brother” needs a pound of flesh, I will freely offer it without a second thought.”

 

As Phoenix stood in everyone’s applause, “Big Knife” glanced over at the kitchen area, giving a signal to his agent, who had secretly managed to hide in the restaurant throughout the long silence. Although, he was not a restaurant employee, none of the staff paid him notice as they were on the edge of their toes, preparing the individual portions of shark fin soup to start the feast. It was at this point that “Big Knife” was hoping to seize the opportunity to assassinate Phoenix with poison. Poison was untraceable and it could never be pointed back to him, even If the other heads tried to trace it. Also, as it was officially after the 7 day period, he could now legitimately challenge for leadership, if the line of succession is broken with Phoenix. He had also asked his assassin to poison Long Gun’s shark fin soup as well, to narrow his future opponents within the family.

 

When the soups arrived, everyone waited for Phoenix to take the first taste. Shark fin soup is more than an expensive and exotic soup on Chinese restaurant menus; they hold symbolic meaning of power and prominence. “Big Knife” grew nervous as Phoenix paused and looked over towards “Stone Heart”, “Vengeful Spirit”, and “Loyal Thought”. Phoenix knew after he drank the soup, there was only one ceremonial step left to becoming head of the “family”, the custom of “Sharing a drink with and honoring the dead”.

 

Phoenix took a spoonful of the clear broth and inhaled it; it wasn’t the nicest or cleanest way to ingest soup, but it was fast and decisive. “Big Knife” after seeing his future victim drink the soup began to do the same as others followed him. However, “Big Knife’s” response was premature as “Long Gun” had not drank any of his soup, which others began to notice.

 

A sudden burst of indignation spread from one of their “brothers” at “Long Gun’s” open rebuke, “How dare you disgrace “uncle’s” memory by this lewd behavior.”

 

“Long Gun” merely smiled, “I am just avoiding someone’s poisoning attempt…” at that point “Big Knife’s” Thair assassin had come out of the kitchen and stood next to “Long Gun” in full view of everyone.

 

Phoenix feigned ignorance, “What is happening “Long Gun” and who is this man standing beside you?”

 

“Long Gun” grimaced, “He was hired by “Big Knife” to kill you and me, but I had figured that a simpleton like him would use poison as the weapon of choice and kept close tabs on all the contractors with specialty in poison. How is the soup treating you “Big Knife”?”

 

The realization of a double cross was quickly ended by a sharp pain in “Big Knife’s” stomach. He knew the poison was quick acting and there was no antidote.

 

With his last breath, “Big Knife” cursed “Long Gun” for his treachery, “Bastard! You will never get to power playing safe against Phoenix. He is too smart for even you to handle. You will ldie even more painfully than I.”

 

“Big Knife” fell backwards and his face turned pale. The last thought on his mind was the mistakes that he made leading up to his death. In their world, power was the absolute currency and “Big Knife” had attained the largest share of it through the drug, prostitution, and rackets that their family ran. Yet, he lost to the detail oriented Long Gun, who might not have possessed as much power, but he held better information than any of his “Brothers”, excluding Phoenix and his allies.

 

While the death came unexpected, it was not out of the normal procedures of the “family” or how traditional succession had ran. At times, the 7th day feast was referred to as the “Hong Muen Yin” after the famous assassination attempt against the succeeding Chinese emperor Liu Bang. Betrayal and treachery runs deep in moments of peace in Chinese history. If the opportunity and benefits of treachery outweighs the dishonor that could be gained, then most leaders would choose the path to treachery as there is no higher Honor in Chinese tradition than “true victory”.

 

After some of retiring veterans removed “Big Knife’s” body, which will probably be put into a crematory and his ashes scattered across the winds as the tradition for failed assassination usually entails, the feast continued without interruption. The other “Brothers” kept their glances between “Long Gun” and Phoenix, watching to see which one of the two would pull the next “hidden dagger”. However, none materialized, which surprised the other heads of families and even their fellow “brothers”.

 

After the feast, as each group began dispersing to their own vehicles, one of “Long Gun’s” trusted allies chastised him, “Why didn’t we just let “Big Knife” kill Phoenix, too? We could have still revealed “Big Knif’s” plan and had him killed in front of the others as a traitor.”

 

“Long Gun” slapped his “brother”, “Don’t be foolish, I had that Thai assassin in my pocket, if I didn’t die, but Phoenix did, then I pointed fingers to “Big Knife”, I would not have gained anything. The others would have blamed me for the murder. If I had allowed both “Big Knife” and Phoenix to die tonight, then I’d make an enemy of Stone Heart and Big Knife’s allies, who definitely knew about his plans. By doing, what I did, I have strengthened my place in the “family” and saved the life of the new “Head”. You see my allies outside the family want to keep Phoenix alive as they see promise in his plans to expand into retail “banking”. He’s a business man, not a gangster, but the potential money from this new source of income could even be greater than the Gonzalez Cartel’s annual shipments from Paraguay. Besides, he’s collecting fags into his ranks, they are at best cannon fodder and at worst pussies, only “Big Knife” possessed any type of force that can challenge me. After tonight, I will take over all his men through his drug and prostitution network. When the time is right and my allies have learned all the in-roads into Phoenix’s operations, I can take over as the new “head” of the family and Phoenix will be dead without my hands ever being directly involved.”

 

His allies in the car were completely silent as they understood their boss had just crafted a masterpiece of Machiavellian art. They chose to follow “Long Gun”, because out of all the “brothers”, he possessed the best overall aptitude for leadership and long term strategy, second only to “Loyal Thought”.

 

In “Stone Heart’s” SUV, another conversation was happening between the brothers.

 

Loyal Thought spoke first, “Thanks for believing in me with your life, Phoenix.”

 

“Stone Heart” frowned, “What if “Long Gun” had taken the opportunity to kill Phoenix off as well. You could have done as I said and simply exposed “Big Knife” for his crime, then “Long Gun” wouldn’t have gained any momentum or fame among the other “brothers” or the other “Heads”. I don’t understand why you would put Phoenix through that gauntlet.”

 

Phoenix understood “Stone Heart’s” concern, and twitched his head slightly, “This was the best move for me. We both agreed that I needed to play the fish out of water and the weakling, barely able to hang onto power through “uncle’s” pant leg. If I had exposed “Big Knife” directly, then “Long Gun” would know that I had advanced intelligence capabilities from “Vengeful Spirit” into the contractors without “Long Gun’s” even knowing. He would put up his guard against all of us and try to take us out to avoid a future threat much sooner than we are able to fight off.”

 

“Vengeful Spirit”, drowsy over the lateness of the activities, quipped “So is this how we are going to operate from now on, playing dumb and biding our time.”

 

“Loyal Thought” in an uncharacteristic soft tone replied to his lover, “To be part of Jiang Wu, is to have no choices.”

 

The End/To Be Continued

 

Not sure if people like this type of story or if Triad culture is something people are even interested in. I know a bit from watching movies and reading books about the “Red Gate” society, a Chinese euphemism for the Triads. Part of the story is based on imagination and the other parts are based on background detail. I also think personally that with the collapse of the “Retail” banking sector, where local banks had been lending out money to the lower and middle class, organized crime with its power base and money might enter to fill the gap.

Copyright © 2012 W_L; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Story Discussion Topic

  1. Stories Discussion Forum

    This is the place to talk about stories from anyone but our Signature, Classic or Promising Authors. They have their own forum for that.
    No solicitation or commercial postings without prior approval.

    36.7k
    posts
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..