Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Anthology of Flash Fiction - 3. Russian Roulette

 

Pics_Art_03_08_04_21_58.jpg

 

 

Russian Roulette
By William King

 

It’s worse than running a red light. Sure, one time you might get hit, but... Doesn't mean it’s all over. Depends.

This was different. One of those chambers wasn't empty. Russian fucking roulette. Keep playing. And it’s gonna happen.

Inevitable.

Some things you can talk about, even need to. But I don’t need to talk to anyone about this. I know what being in love is. Feeling sick. Thinking all the time about him. Wanting to be with him. Wanting... to be him.

I changed the brand of cigarettes I smoked. Peter Stuyvesant. Because... Because that’s what he smoked.

He was a great dancer. I never saw a guy in a suit dancing. I never saw anyone dancing like him.

When he was living in the same house as Brendan, he said I could come over. That was a shock. I had no idea Brendan lived there. I hadn’t seen him since school. Shit, I never imagined Brendan moving out of home. People can surprise you.

I thought about what might happen. This was the first time we were alone.

If you step back and look at it, yes. He was weird. That wasn't his fault. Bipolar Steve said. What the fuck is that?

Somebody who tells you he didn’t show because he stayed on the bus. Decided not to get off at the stop. Followed this guy, a stranger he didn't even know. Why?

He thought it was normal.

Nothing happened when we were in his room. In that same house where Brendan lived. He lay down on the bed, face down. He had his clothes on. Told me to lay on top of him. I did.

What’s normal anyway?

Who tells you to do that? He felt how hard I was.

There was this one time I was taking a piss. He came up behind me, unzipped, took it out, and pissed through my legs. How fucking normal is that?

Bipolar?

Is that what it is?

That night he said I could sleep over. I did. Of course I did. I was like a love sick puppy. I hung around him, all the time. All the time I could. Nothing happened.

He kicked me. In his sleep. Really hard. Kicked out. I spent the night on the floor.

We could talk. Normally, I mean. Although thinking about it, I’m not so sure. He never got to the end of the story. I knew he left home. Runaway, kicked out? I wasn't sure.

He told me he turned tricks. Met some guy his age who showed him how to make money. In the station toilets.

Was he gay? Don’t ask me. I don’t know.

We lived together. I fucked that up.

How? How do you live with someone like him? I couldn't live with half a story. Half a person.

Bipolar? Is it like that? Half a person.

I fucking loved him!

But it was inevitable. Russian roulette.

You shoot up with heroin. What are the chances?

Overdosed.

Heard it by his friend.

My heart was frozen like a Siberian lake. You'd have to drill deep to get through.

He had the final word.

Russian fucking roulette.

◇◇◇

Copyright © 2018 William King; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

A harsh story. Loved the balance struck between the personal  emotions and the dispassionate unpacking of a series of events. The narrators pain is sharp and tangible. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Yes, a harsh story. I should have dedicated it to David F, but of course, he'll never get to read it! It's tiny cameo from life. Terrible, sometimes things just go the hell wrong. I still think about him, he was twenty something.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..