Jump to content
    Windkaizer
  • Author
  • 1,494 Words
  • 541 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Raijinken: The Present - 2. Mondays, Demons, and Stupidity

Chapter 2:
Mondays, Demons, and Stupidity

Monday, 3’am
God damnit

“Okay,” I arrived in the basement, rubbing my eyes. It was dark down here, but the cat in me had no problems seeing the randomly strewn things on the earthen floor. “Where and what is it this time?”
Zephyr’s fingers moved swiftly across the keyboard, figures appearing swiftly on the large screen in front of him.
Guy is almost as good as I am.
“Well…”He looked up as a grid of the world. A red blip appeared somewhere in the northern part of the US. It expanded, showing us the exact location.
“Aw damnit, why there?”
Of course it’s New York City.
I sighed. “Okay, what does the energy signature tell us?”
Aare spun in the chair in front of the smaller monitor to the side of the big one. “Looks like…a Reaper.”
Crap.
Okay, if you haven’t figured it out by now, Reaper’s are given their name for a reason, mainly because they look like the Grim Reaper, which is weird because he’s actually a pretty cool guy when you get to know him. Just don’t let him touch you. You know, ‘Touch of Death’ and all that good jazz.
But I digress.
These guys are extremely creepy. You know those Dementor things from Harry Potter? Okay, now picture those with really sharp scythes bent of killing and eating the soul of whomever crosses their path. Plus, they always travel in packs of six or more.
Yeah…not fun.
“Well…” I stretched, pulling my arms back until I heard a crack. “Might as well get going.” I turned around, heading towards the basement exit.
“Rai…” I turn back, raising an eyebrow. “Don’t do anything stupid.”
“Oh come on. Have I ever done any-?”
“Rai.” Zeph started.
A pause.
“Okay, there was that one time with the Tower of Pisa…sorry, Leaning Tower of Pisa. But that wasn’t my fault…mostly.”
“But it was your fault.” Aare cut in.
A pause…again.
“Shut up.” I moved out of the basement room. “Later bitches!”
I made my way down the hallway, catching a ride on the elevator as it opens.
Upstairs, it’s silent, and dark. Everyone must have gone back to bed.
“Lucky bastards.” I whisper as I make my way back to my room.
Inside, I open the doors to my large walk-in closet.
And when I say large, buddy, I mean LARGE.
“Now what to wear…”
I move in, walking and searching through the various outfits, all organized by style of course.
“Sweat suit.”
(Fashion tip, kiddies! Never wear good clothes while fighting demons. It could get messy.)
Changing out of my shorts and t-shirt, I grabbed a black one with purple trim, and plain black shoes. I flip my long white hair to the side as it gets in the way of tying the strings.
Or ‘night gear’, as I like to call it.
Leaving my room, I head down the hall ‘til I get to the grand staircase leading downstairs to the living room and kitchen.
Heading to the table beside door, I grab an ear piece. It’s light…no battery.
Doesn’t matter, of course.
I clip it onto my ear, sending a small charge to the communicator.
“Can you guys hear me?” I said as I made my way out of the large oak doors to the walkway in the front yard.
“Yeah.” I hear Aare’s voice in my ear.
I look to the north, towards the direction of NYC.
I jumped off of the ground, floating as I got ready to take off towards the city.
“Which part of the city are they in?”
I hear the click-clack of typing going on in the background before Aare cut back in.
“Chelsea.”
Oh, not good. I look at my cell, pressing the button on the side.
2:45.
Shit.
“I’m already half-way there.”
In a streak of purple light, I arrived in less than half-an hour. Simultaneously, the screams hit my ears, causing me to flinch.
People asleep in Chelsea at 3:00 AM? Of course not!
And this is why demons attack dumb asses!
Great job people, great job.
“Get off of him!”
It was a man’s voice, coming from an alley to the left of me.
I flew to the roof directly above the alley. I saw the demon levitating above a man, a stream of white going from the victims mouth to its, the color draining from the man’s face. To the side of them, another man, held to the wall by the scythe entrapping his neck.
I searched around for any of the other Reaper’s, but I don’t see any.
It was strange, but I choose not to dwell on this for too long. I have other pressing business.
“Lightning Bow.” I murmur.
Bringing my hands together, I send a powerful burst of energy to my palms. Separating them, an arch forms; shaping itself into a bow. My hands fall to my side as the weapon straightens itself vertically.
I grip the bow, extinguishing the glow. It’s solid elm; strong but flexible.
Perfect.
I sent a charge through my arm, forming a string. My other hand comes up, sparking. I notch it on the thread, forming an arrow.
It’s was easy from there on out.
I took aim and fired down into the alley, the arrow too fast for the human eye to see.
A shriek tore from the demons…mouth? Opening? Place of which the souls of innocent dumb asses are eaten?
Ah, you get the picture.
It disappeared in a flash of light, it’s scythe going with it and dropping the man to the ground. He ran over to the dying man and cradled him in his arms.
“Alan? Alan! Wake up! Oh God, somebody help me!”
Well, here’s a dilemma.
Either reveal myself and help these people, most likely sending people of a sort of which I do not want to deal with after me, which I do not want; or depart and leave this ‘Alan’ to die.
Ah what to do…
Hmmm…
I dropped to the asphalt.
The man holding Alan up jumped back, gripping him hard to his chest.
“Who-what are you?” The man stuttered.
I waved my hand to brush him off. “Don’t worry about it. I’m here to help.”
“H-how do I know you’re not here with those…things?”
If he had been able to see my face under the hood, he would have seen a raised eyebrow. I mean really: me in with them?
I’m too pretty for that.
“Oh, I don’t know…the fact that I just saved your, and his, life? Dumbass. “I muttered the last part under my breath.” Now let me help him.”
“But…”
“He’s dying. Let me help him.”
The man, still wary, nodded. I came over and knelt beside them. Motioning for the man to lay him down on the ground, I held my hands over his heart.
No heartbeat.
Not good.
“I’m going to need you to move back.”
The other man retreated, still within easy reach of Alan.
I waved my hands over his body, muttering words as I went. The chant got louder, a strong gust of wind picked up, whipping the dirt and debris around us into the air. A white cloud formed and swirled over our heads; the man’s life force was returning to him. It circled down into his mouth, draining into him and returning the color to his face.
A sharp inhalation, followed by several coughs notified us to Alan’s awakening.
I looked down, seeing his eyes open and focused on me. Blue was the color, and they were very pretty…but other than that they scared the hell out of me.
Pause…
“Uh…hi.”
His voice was scratchy as he replied. “Who are you?”
“The man who just saved you.” I jumped up, floating a few inches above the ground to the amazement of the two men.
“And I gotta go. Things to do, demons to kill…you know how it is. La-“
I stopped, swerving out of the way as a scythe went sailing by my head. Catching it, I turned around and threw back towards it owner. Hearing the Reaper catch and clutch it’s weapon, I turned around, lightning sparking in my palm.
Ten of them…
Oh…
This will be fun.
I motioned behind me. “You two, get out of here.”
I heard Alan and his friend leave the alley, muttering ‘thank you’ as they left.
Two of the reapers came at me, attempting to go after the men. I grabbed the end of their cloaks as they went by me; swinging them against the wall.
Drawing electricity into my palms, I blasted both of them un the face. Howling, they erupted into a cloud of dust.
Eight left.
“You know,” I started, calling the bow back to me. “You guys really have no common sense. Small alley plus me equals non-fun time for you.”
Electricity flew through the air as they rushed me.

Copyright © 2011 Windkaizer; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..