Jump to content
    york366
  • Author
  • 1,296 Words
  • 1,172 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry

Distression - 1. Story

Akhil grabbed his jeans when a folded piece of paper fell out. He unfolded it to find a vividly drawn red heart. He crumpled up the piece of paper as he thought about what a lie it all was. It was certainly a cause of distression.

Akhil tugged his jeans up and pulled on his shirt. He only glanced back at Cory lying naked on top of the sheets, before opening the door and leaving. He ran into Mrs. Ferrich on the way down and managed to give her a weak smile before walking past her.

He got in his car, and drove himself home. Upon reaching his house, Akhil locked himself in his room, found his iPod, put in the earphones and blasted music into ears until he fell asleep, emotionally exhausted.

A few hours later, Akhil woke up to the soft sounds of music. "Tu jahan... mein wahan..." His earphones had fallen out and it seemed that the music was coming from downstairs. He followed it down to the living room where his grandmother was busy knitting. The music was coming from a small radio that his grandmother was keeping close to her. She softly hummed along with the song as she knitted.

"Hello beta," his grandmother said seeing him standing there.

"Hello daadi."

Akhil looking at his grandmother, thought about the wonderful love she had experienced. She had told Akhil many times about her love marriage. She had attended a convent school back in India. His grandfather had gone to an all boys school near by. It was love at first sight...

Akhil sighed as he went into the kitchen to get a glass of water. He wanted a love like that. A love that overcame all obstacles. A love to last a lifetime.

*****

Akhil turned on the radio as he drove to school. "Good morning Plano. It's Friday morning and it looks likes its going to be another great day with highs in the 90s and sunny all day..."

He pulled into the parking lot of the senior high school. His heart rose when he saw Cory standing near his car in the parking lot talking to his friend Brian. Akhil parked his car and quickly glanced in the mirror to make sure his hair was still looking good. He grabbed his backpack and headed towards where Cory was.

"Hey Cory!"

"Akhil, my man, what's up?" Cory replied while Brian nodded his head.

"Not much. Any plans for tonight?"

"Just taking Katie out on a date tonight. What about you?"

"Probably just hanging out with Rohan and Shalini."

"Is he still dating that girl?"

"Um, yeah," Akhil replied.

Cory just laughed. "Anyways, listen, let's do something this Saturday. I'm dying to see this horror movie that Katie absolutely refuses to watch. Interested?"

"Sounds good."

"Sweet man, I'll give you a call tomorrow then."

*****

Since it was Friday and the weather was nice outside, Ms. Barton took her English class outside to do a free-writing exercise. Akhil, Rohan and Sonam decided to sit down in a shaded area near the courtyard.

"Akhil, the weather is going to be so sweet this weekend, Shalini and I are going to the lake tomorrow, you should totally join us," his friend Rohan was saying to him as Akhil was drawing idly in his notebook.

"Sorry man, I think I'm going to hang out with Cory.

Rohan just shook his head. "I don't understand why you're so keen about that Cory Ferrich."

Akhil ignored him and continued to draw what now had become a heart in his notebook.

Sonam seeing what Akhil's drawing was, snatched the notebook out of Akhil's hands. "Oooh, Akhil's in love! Who is it?"

As Akhil jumped up to get his notebook back, his eyes met with Rohan's. Rohan had a look of disbelief on his face.

"It's not like that..." Akhil protested as he grabbed the notebook back from Sonam.

"Akhil you need help," Rohan replied as he got up.

Akhil grabbed Rohan's arm before he could walk away. "Rohan, please stop. Hear me out. Sonam excuse us."

Sonam just nodded as Akhil led Rohan away.

*****

It didn't matter what Rohan said, Akhil knew he could find the love that was he was missing out on. He didn't have to keep living in the shadows of love. His moment to shine out was upon him. He fumbled through his backpack before finding and pulling out his English notebook. He flipped to the last page which he had been drawing on and tore it out. He then rummaged through his drawers before finding a bright red marker. He then proceeded to color the drawing on the page. He carefully went over the outlines until it was a completely red. He then carefully folded it and shoved it in the pocket of his jeans before leaving for the movie theater.

*****

Cory leaned in closer to Akhil. Akhil looked straight at those grey eyes and then down at those lips that were so close to his own. He then closed his eyes as he felt Cory's lips touch his. Cory slipped his hand up Akhil's shirt rubbing Akhil's chest as they kissed. Cory then broke the kiss and pulled Akhil's shirt completely off. Akhil opened his eyes to watch as Cory also took his own shirt off. They looked at each other's state of undress before placing their arms around each other and drawing closer again. Akhil closed his eyes again as this time he felt Cory's skin touch his own. He let out a small breath before Cory's lips softly met his own again.

*****

"Daadi, how did you know that you were in love with daadaji (grandfather)?"

His grandmother stopped knitting and looked up at Akhil. A small smile appeared on her face.

"You just know, beta. When he comes up to you, everything around you disappears and you just hear violins playing. It is magical." She then gave Akhil a broader smile. "You'll know it when the time comes, beta."

*****

Rohan held Akhil in his arms trying his best to comfort him.

"Rohan, I'm such an idiot. I was totally falling in love with him and I thought that he was going to be that special someone I had been looking for. But then he tells me that even though he cares about me, she is the one that holds a special place his life."

Rohan shook his head but reached over to grab some tissues for his friend.

"Akhil, you really need to stop doing this to yourself. You can't expect to find this amazing romantic love. It's just fictional crap. And you certainly won't find it in guys like him."

"Don't say that. You're crushing all my dreams!"

"Alright alright. There is that special someone somewhere out there. And someday you're going to find him.

Akhil looked up at Rohan with a faint smile. He then leaned up and kissed Rohan on the lips.

"And what if I've found him already?"

Rohan laughed and pulled Akhil in closer to him.

*****

Akhil sat on the deck looking out at the lake.

"Here man," said Rohan handing Akhil a can of beer. "So how are you feeling?"

"Good. Thanks for taking me up here even though you were up here just last weekend."

"Dude, it's much more fun with you and the girls up here."

At that moment someone loudly called out Rohan’s and Akhil's names. They both turned around to see Sonam coming out on the deck.

"Hey guys, I want to you to meet my brother..."

Akhil didn't hear the rest because just as his eyes connected with the guy who was following Sonam, the only thing he could hear were violins...

Copyright © 2010 york366; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Spring - Living in the Shadows Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..