Jump to content
    york366
  • Author
  • 5,089 Words
  • 758 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Fall - Anniversary Entry

Resolution - 1. Story

The Resolution

by Kyle Grey

 

*****

"Abhi, please. I know very well that you forgot!"

"No, no darling, I did remember. Just be patient."

I looked up at my wife's reaction, hoping that I had bought some time for myself. By the look of her face, I had succeeded.

"Do you want more paranthas to eat?" she asked as she started rolling out the dough.

"No, I have to get to work now." I got up from the dining table and gave her a quick kiss on the lips. "See you in the afternoon, darling. And get ready to be surprised when I get back."

Amu smiled as she continued to roll the dough which meant I was clearly in the safe zone. I smiled back at her and then grabbed my bag and headed out. There was no way I could go to the office. There was something much more important. I needed to get something amazing for Amu. I had been looking around for something for weeks but I had not had any success. It was time that I got help. As soon as I got on the elevator going down, I pulled out my mobile phone from my bag and dialed Aditi's number. Aditi was a friend from work who would definitely be able to help me in the situation. After a few rings she picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hello Aditi, I need a big favor."

"What is it Abhi?"

"It's Amu and my anniversary and I need something really big to surprise her with today. I've been thinking about it all week but I haven't come up with anything. I need help?

"Oh Abhi, why are you calling me for that?"

"Well I needed someone's advice. I'm all out of ideas. Please, Aditi?"

"Fine, fine. Did you try jewelry?"

"Not really. I don't know much about jewelry. What kind of jewelry is good for anniversaries?"

"Wow Abhi, you really are clueless about this, aren't you?"

"That's what I'm trying to tell you Aditi. I'm going to just skip work today and go to the mall. Can you please come along?"

"I don't know. I am kind of busy with things. I have a report to finish this week."

"You have a whole week to finish that report. I really need your help. Please?"

"Oh fine. I'll see you at the coffee shop in the mall in Saket in half an hour?"

"Thank you Aditi! I'll see you there."

I was at my car in the lower level parking lot when I hung up the phone. I got into my Honda City and started driving towards Saket from my apartment in Vasant Kunj. There wasn't much traffic on the Mehrauli road and I was at the mall in less than half an hour. I parked my car and when inside the mall to the coffee shop. I didn't see Aditi there yet so I decided to get some coffee while I waited.

As I picked up a nice hot cup of coffee, I heard someone call out my name.

"Abhishek?"

I turned around to see a guy in a loose blue striped shirt and jeans sitting at one the tables nearby.

"Jai?" My mouth suddenly went dry and I took a quick sip of the beverage I was holding.

"How are you Abhi? Come sit down here!" He was smiling. I was surprised to see him. But I was even more surprised to see him address me in such a cool manner.

"Err, I actually have to be going. Um, someone is expecting me." I didn't want to see him. Not here. Not now.

"Abhi, really?"

I looked around and then walked over to him. I cautiously sat down across from him.

"Hey, still the coffee addict, I see," he said as I took another sip.

"Yeah."

He laughed. "I remember in college, you would drink like three cups a day."

"Well not that much," I contested.

"No, I'm pretty sure that's how many you had. I always had to clean the cups you know."

I took a long sip of his coffee. "Let's not dwell on the past, okay?"

"I wasn't trying to bring up the past, Abhi. The past is the past. And if you want to know, I'm over it. Completely over it."

I gave him a weird look. "Jai, what are you doing in Delhi anyways?"

"My dad wanted me to be in charge of the Delhi branch of his business. So I'm here now. What are you up to?"

"Still working at the State Bank of India."

"Cool."

I was still a bit disturbed by his calm manner. I hadn't really expected us meeting like this. Actually, I hadn't expected to meet him ever again.

"What are you doing here, though?"

"Oh, just getting some coffee. I really like to come here and chill," he said with a smile.

I couldn't handle him smiling at me anymore.

"Jai, you know what today is? Do you?" I blurted out.

This made his smile disappear. "How could I forget that, Abhi?"

"Yeah Jai, it's my wedding anniversary. And I am here to get an anniversary gift for my wife, Amu."

Jai looked at me and shook his head. "Right, right. I should be going. Talking to you was a bad idea." He got up and without another word walked off.

"Jai, wait!" I called out but he didn't listen. I got up to follow him but then I saw Aditi walking up to me.

"Hey Abhi!"

"Hi Aditi," I said while watching Jai disappear around the corner.

"Who was that?"

"Just a friend from college." I sighed.

"Oh cool, now should we find this gift for Amu? I can't believe you're so lame that you forgot."

"I told you that I didn't forget," I remarked back. "I just haven't been able to find something good. It is only my second time at this anniversary thing, you know. Last year, the trip to Mauritius was great but I need to find something else this year."

Aditi laughed. "Fine, fine. Come on, let's looks at some of the jewelry stores."

Aditi was a great help. We looked around the stores and I was able to find an amazing necklace for Amu that wasn't too expensive. After the successful purchase, I treated Aditi to lunch at a nice restaurant that was nearby. It was only after I had said good-bye to her that my mind went back to Jai.

*****

It was the sun coming in through the bedroom window in the morning that woke me up from my sleep. I had one arm around Jai, who was still sleeping. I pulled him in closer to me, wrapping my arm more tightly around his body. I loved snuggling up with him. I especially liked that he always smelled of the fragrant soap he used. He then also woke up as I was holding him tightly against me. He pulled away a little so that he could turn around and face me.

"Hey," I said softly. "Good morning."

"Hey to you too," he replied. He softly kissed me on the lips. "You're so cute."

I gave a small smile in return. "You're really hot yourself. And you smell really good too," I said as I took in a deep breath.

"What time is it?" he asked with a yawn.

I rolled over and grabbed my mobile phone to check. "It's eight."

"Mmm... can we just stay in bed today? I'm so comfortable right now with you," he replied wrapping his arms around me and leaning his head on my shoulder.

"That sounds like the perfect idea." I said placing an arm over his shoulder.

Just as we had both closed our eyes, cuddled against each other, my mobile phone rang.

"Don't answer it, Abhi" Jai said lazily.

I, however, saw that it was my mother calling.

"Ugh, I have to take this, it's my mom!"

Jai just let out a sigh which I hoped was of understanding.

"Yes, mom?" I said answering the phone.

"Are you up, beta?"

"I am now."

"Okay, get ready quickly and come home. Your dad and I have a surprise for you," my mom said happily.

"What kind of surprise?"

"You'll find out when you get here. Now go get ready quickly, okay? And put on something nice."

"Okay, sure," I replied then put down the phone. I sighed. Although I was now living with Jai, my parents still called often and made sure I came home as much as possible.

I looked over at Jai. "You have to go?" he asked.

"Yeah, my mom has some kind of surprise for me. She wants me back home at any rate."

I pushed the covers aside and got out of bed. Jai just lay back again and watched me get dressed. He gave me a smile as I struggled to pull on my shirt. I then quickly bent over and gave him a deep kiss.

"Sorry I have to go. I really did want to just stay in bed with you today."

"It's okay," Jai replied with a small smile. "Do you want to have dinner today maybe?"

"Definitely. I'll be back for that," I replied with a happy grin.

"Alright, see you later then."

"See you," I said as I headed to the door.

*****

I needed to see Jai. I needed to apologize. In the surprise of seeing him for the first time in two years, I had been rude. He was over it. He must have been over it that he was being so cool about it. And all I did was bring it up again. I was such an idiot. Why couldn't I just have had a normal conversation?

I decided to call up our mutual friend Salima, who we had both met in college as well. Salima had kept in touch with both us even after we went our separate ways. She had also kept me updated about what Jai was up to. However, she had clearly forgotten to mention anything about Jai moving to Delhi. Hopefully, she would be able to find out his address though. I sat in my car inside the Saket parking lot and dialed Salima's number. After a few rings, she picked up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, it's Abhi."

"Oh, Abhi, hi! How are you?"

"Okay. Guess who I just ran into?"

"Who?"

"Jai."

"Oh shit Abhi! What happened?"

"Salima, why didn't you tell me that Jai was in Delhi?"

"I didn't know he was there! I swear! How did things go between you two?"

"It was awkward Salima, what else do you expect? He seemed cool about meeting me but I was an idiot."

"Oh Abhi."

"Do you think you could find his address?"

"Why do you want his address?"

"I actually want to go talk to him."

"Are you sure about that Abhi?"

"Yes, I can't not talk to him. Especially after our earlier encounter."

"Okay, well I will call Sumita aunty. She should have his address in Delhi. I will text you the address when I get it."

"Thanks Salima."

"Okay, give me a call afterwards. I want to know what happened."

I laughed. "Okay, talk to you later!"

"Bye!"

I hung up the phone and stared out of the window at the people passing by on the street in front. One reason that I had never expected to see him again especially in such a cool manner was that Jai and I had definitely not ended on cool, mutual terms.

*****

"Hey Abhi!" Jai wrapped his arms around me just as I returned to the apartment in the evening. "Ready to go out for dinner? I think we should try the new Chinese place in Juhu."

I pulled his arms off of me. "Jai."

"What is it?" Jai looked at my face. "What's wrong, Abhi?"

"I can't see you anymore."

"What? Why?"

I looked into those eyes. "I am to be engaged."

"What the hell Abhi? How are you getting engaged?"

"My parents have set the match. That was their surprise. I met the girl today. She's actually really beautiful and nice. Her name is Amu..."

"I don't want to hear about her!" he shouted cutting me off. "Why are you doing this Abhi? I thought we were good. Is this some kind of joke?"

"Jai, it's my parents’ decision!"

"You can't be serious Abhi!"

"I am. I really am." I turned around to leave.

"You don't have to do it. Abhi. You're going to regret it."

I hesitated. I was going to regret it. I might regret it for the rest of my life. But there was no choice. The matter had been settled. I had decided the whole thing before. I couldn't back out now.

"Sorry Jai."

"Fucking hell!" I heard Jai slam his fist against the wall as I left.

*****

My phone beeped. I picked it up and saw that Salima had texted me the address. It was an address for Defence Colony, which was a posh colony with some large fancy houses. I didn't know that Jai had a house in Delhi. But his parents were very well off so it was all very possible that they did have a house here. I started my car and headed to Defence Colony.

Half an hour later, I was parked outside the house that matched the address that Salima had sent. It was a very nice three story white house. I got out of my car and walked up to the gate of the house. I stood there for a few seconds and then I gathered my courage to ring the bell. No one answered for awhile then the gate opened and I saw a fairly attractive guy wearing just a pair of sweatpants that hung low on his hips. I couldn't help but notice his toned chest and abs.

"Can I help you?"

"Hi, is Jai home?" I asked.

"No, he went out for awhile. He should be back soon."

"Oh, okay."

"And who are you?"

"Oh, my name is Abhishek," I replied extending a hand. "An old friend of Jai's."

"Cool, I'm Nikhil," he replied as he shook my hand. "Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. Well, I'll be going then."

"Alright, man."

With that, I turned around and headed back to my car. Obviously, Jai had not made it back home. I probably should have just called him. Or maybe texted him to be less personal. However, I had found out that he was no less of a slut then he used to be before. He hadn't changed at all.

*****

I had just received a promotion at my new job and I was really excited to share the news with Jai. I left work early and hurried back to the apartment that Jai and I were sharing. I opened the door and not seeing Jai in the sitting area, I proceeded to the bedroom. I had only to open to the door a bit to see Jai in the arms of another guy. They were both lying on the bed naked. I gasped, Jai cursed and the guy just look surprised.

Jai quickly shoved the guy out of the bed. The guy grabbed his clothes and headed to the bathroom. I slammed the door and went back to the living room. I paced around and then went to the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of vodka. I was about to pour some when Jai grabbed my hand.

"Abhi, stop."

I tried to shake his hand off. "What the hell, Jai? You just ruined my life. What am I going to do now?" I turned around to look at him.

"Nothing. You're going to do nothing. I messed up. I'm the one that has to make it up to you."

"You don't like me anymore. I get it. You don't have to bother."

"No, you're wrong Abhi." He put his hands on my shoulders. "I do care. I do love you. I still love you."

"Then what the hell, Jai?"

"I know. It was stupid. It was a one time thing. I never expected you would come and find out."

"But I did. I know you're really outgoing but I never expected you would cheat on me, Jai. I thought we had something special."

"We did. We still do. Abhi, this was nothing. Really!"

"Nothing? You were in bed together! Did you fuck him, Jai? Did you?"

"Yes, but that's all it was. Just sex. Nothing more."

"Just sex? Only you would see something as just sex!"

"Please Abhi. Give me a chance. I'm apologizing to you. I messed up."

"Let me go Jai!" I wrestled myself out of his grip and headed for the door.

"Abhi, wait!" Jai yelled out. However, I was already out the door.

*****

My mobile phone was ringing. I dug it out of my pocket and saw that it was Salima calling.

"Hello Salima," I answered.

"Hey Abhi, did you get the address?"

"Yeah, but Jai wasn't there."

"Oh, what are you going to do now?"

"Nothing. I thought it over and I don't want to talk to him. It's probably best to leave things as they were."

"If that's what you want, Abhi."

"Anyways, it's my anniversary today so I want to take Amu out to dinner."

"Oh, happy anniversary! Well, I should let you go then. I'll talk to you later though?"

"Yeah, we'll talk later. Bye."

"Bye Abhi."

It was three o'clock in the afternoon. I started up the car. I was going to go back to Amu and have a normal rest of the day. And it was best to leave things as they were. I didn't owe Jai any civility. I was happy without him now. I didn't need anything from him. I didn't need to get involved in this again. I had already had left it behind two years ago.

*****

After leaving the apartment, I drove home in tears. I was still in shock of seeing my three year relationship with Jai fall apart in a single moment. When I reached my house, I composed myself. There was no way that I could be with Jai anymore. We would just never be the same, no matter how hard he tried. There was just one thing to do now. I went inside to where my mom was sitting reading. For the past year, my mom had been suggesting to me that I should think about marriage but I had declined. Now I had an answer for her.

"Mom?"

My mom put down her magazine and looked up at me. "What is it beta?"

"I want to get married."

"Married? Abhi, I thought you told me that you weren't ready for that when I asked you before."

"I am ready now mom. I am independent and have a secure job. What else am I waiting for?"

"Well, Abhi, if you're sure then we can look around for a good match."

"Yes mom. This is what I want."

"Okay, beta."

I took in a deep breath. Then I grabbed my phone and went upstairs to my old room. I dialed Jai's number.

"Hello, Jai? I forgive you..."

*****

"Surprise!" I said to Amu as I presented her with the necklace and some flowers that I had picked up on the way back.

"Oh Abhi! It's wonderful!" exclaimed Amu as she saw the necklace.

"Happy Anniversary, dear," I said with a big smile, happy that she really liked the present.

"Thank you," she replied then kissed me on the lips. I wrapped my arms around her and kissed her back.

"I also made reservations at Bukhara."

"Oh wow, Abhi, you're amazing! I'm going to go get dressed now! I'm so excited!"

I smiled as I went to get dressed as well. An hour later, we headed to Bukhara in Chanakyapuri for dinner. The restaurant was one of the fanciest in Delhi. We both tried a variety of kebabs that were all quite amazing. We had a great time there and the whole beginning of the day was all forgotten. It was quite late when we headed back to our apartment.

"I'm a really lucky girl to have found a husband like you," Amu said sleepily as we drove back.

"No, I'm the lucky one. I got a wife that loves me so much."

Amu laughed. "Remember when we met?"

I looked ahead at the road as my mind wandered into memories once again...

*****

"Come on Abhi, it will be fun," said my friend Mallika as she dragged me into the club.

"You know Mallika, I don't really go to these kinds of places."

"Abhi, everyone's here. Look, there's Salima from college."

I looked over and sure enough Salima was on the dance floor dancing with some guy. I had known Salima for awhile but I really didn't know who the guy was. He was quite attractive though. He was wearing jeans and a tight-fitting purple shirt that stayed close to his toned frame. I followed Mallika to the dance floor where the two were.

"Hey Salima!" both Mallika and I shouted when we reached her.

"Hey Mallika, hey Abhi!" Salima shouted back over the blasting music. "How are you guys?"

"Good!"

"Great! This is my friend, Jai, by the way."

"Hi, I'm Abhishek," I said to Jai. "Nice to meet you."

Jai flashed a smile. "Nice to meet you too. That shirt is looking really hot on you, by the way."

"Oh, thanks."

"I picked it out for him you know," interjected Mallika.

"Really? Well, it seems you have fine taste."

"And you have an eye for fine taste as well," replied Mallika in a tone of voice I had become too familiar with.

Salima was smiling.

"Come on Abhi, let's get some drinks," she said taking my arm and leading me away.

"But I already had a lot to drink with Mallika before."

"A little more won't hurt, trust me," replied Salima.

I stood near the bar and looked at the blue lit dance floor while Salima ordered drinks. Jai was dancing with Mallika. Their bodies were perilously close, moving with the music.

"Here Abhi, take a shot of this stuff," Salima said holding out a shot glass. I took it down without removing my eyes from Jai. However, the bitter taste of the drink made me wince and turn back towards my friend.

"What was the hell was that stuff?"

"100 proof" replied Salima laughing. "Come on, let's dance now," she said as she headed down to the dance floor. I just watched as she soon started dancing with some guy. My eyes than moved back to Jai. This time Jai looked back at me and smiled. I made no acknowledgement and merely stared back. Jai turned and whispered something in Mallika's ears before turning his back and putting his arms around her. She then caressed his face and spiky black hair.

I suddenly felt like I was getting sick so I stumbled towards the exit hoping to find some fresh air. Outside, I took a few steps around in a haze. I managed to dig into my pocket and pull out my phone. I couldn't see anything clearly but managed to dial Mallika's number. The phone rang a few times before she picked up.

"Hey, what's up Abhi?"

"I feel a little sick so I just decided to step outside for a few minutes to get some fresh air."

"Okay, stay there, I'll come get you."

I didn't remember anything of what happened after that.

I woke up the next day in an unfamiliar bed. I groaned as I got up as my head was really hurting. Then I saw Jai was lying shirtless in bed next to me.

"Oh fuck!" I said loudly as I jumped out of the bed.

That woke Jai up. "Hey, everything okay?" he said slowly sitting up in bed.

"Why am I here? What happened last night?"

"Oh wow, I didn't know you were that drunk," replied Jai. He then got up from the bed as well. "Um, well, to be honest, I offered to take you back home. When we got here, you kind of kissed me and so then I kissed you back. We made out for awhile. Nothing more than that, really. I really didn't think you were that drunk. I wasn't trying to take advantage of you or anything."

"Shit, I can't believe I kissed you! I'm so sorry!"

"Hey, it's okay," Jai replied. "I actually liked it." He then leaned in and kissed me on the lips. I tensed as our lips met but then I relaxed and enjoyed the short kiss.

"You're serious? You liked it?" I asked slowly stepping back.

"Yeah, I liked it," he replied with a smile.

I couldn't help but smile back and kiss him back.

*****

I woke up to the sound of my alarm buzzing. I blindly felt around my night table before I hit the alarm and it fell off the table. It was now buzzing on the floor and I had no choice but to get out of bed and pick the damn thing up. Needless to say, I wasn't too fond of my alarm clock or getting up in the morning for that matter. However, this was a special day and this was why I had set the alarm in the first place. As I remembered this, I quickly got out of bed and picked up the alarm clock, placing it back on the night table. I then grabbed my towel and hurried into the bathroom to take a bath and get ready. As I rubbed the bar of soap over my body, I thought about the day ahead. It was a really big day for me and I was nervous as hell. A part of me couldn't believe this was happening. I was just rinsing the soap off when there was a knock on the bathroom door, followed by my mother's voice.

"Beta, are you getting ready? We have to get started with the wedding preparations soon."

"Yes, mom!" I replied back. I quickly threw a few buckets of water over myself to rinse off any remaining soap. "I'll be out quickly."

"Oh and your friend Jai is here too."

Jai? What was Jai doing here? But of course, he would be here. It was my wedding day.

"I don't want to see him now!" I replied. I didn't want to deal with him today. Or really any day. For what it was worth, there was nothing between us anymore.

"Well beta, he's here right now. He even offered to help out. You'll just have to see him now."

"Okay fine. I'll be out in a minute," I grumbled as I grabbed my towel and started drying myself off. I then cursed myself for not bringing in any clothes with me into the bathroom. But then, I wasn't expecting that Jai would visit. I heard the footsteps of my mother leaving and going down the hall. I then also heard the softer footsteps of someone walking around my room. I nervously looked at the bathroom door, not knowing what to do. I then took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Jai! How are you?" I said with a forced smile as I saw Jai glancing at some of the decorations on the wall of my bedroom.

"Abhi! God, Abhi. I missed you." He walked up to me quickly and embraced me, wrapping me in his arms.

"Jai, please. Not here." I tried to push him back. He stepped back but still held on to my arms.

"I need you Abhi. Please don't leave me like this."

"I'm getting married Jai. Sorry. That's just how it is."

"Abhi. Please, don't do it! We can work this out. I promise!"

"How Jai? How exactly are we going to work this out? I can't even look at you without thinking of how you cheated on me!"

Jai looked a little confused. "But you forgave me and we were okay before this whole marriage thing came up."

"No Jai. That was me just trying to enjoy one last week with you. I decided on the marriage that day I saw you with that other guy."

Jai looked at me stunned. "But why? Why are you punishing yourself for what I did? So I know I fucked up. But at least you don't have to punish yourself."

"Punish myself? I'm not punishing myself!" I replied a little irritated.

"Then what else is this? You know you'll never be happy married."

"How do you know I won't be happy?"

"Abhi, don't deceive yourself. And if you don't care about yourself, at least think of the poor girl who you're trapping in the middle of all this!"

I shook my head. "It's not like that Jai. You don't understand."

"Then please explain, Abhi. Because from the way I'm seeing it you're forcing yourself into something you'll definitely regret later."

"I'm moving on Jai. I always did want to get married and settle down and have kids. The whole deal. I'm going to do that now."

"No. You're just confused. You're just thinking that you want that now. You need to think this whole thing over again."

I sighed and sat down on my bed. "No Jai. I've always wanted this. Even before I met you. I've always dreamed of having that perfect family in that perfect little house. You know?"

"That's crap Abhi. No one really has that kind of life."

"I know. But the thing is it doesn't even matter if it's not perfect. It will be a family. My family. That's all I want."

Jai was silent looking at me.

"I'm sorry, Jai. There's nothing more with you. We've reached a dead end."

Jai shook his head and sat down next to me. "No, you're wrong," he replied softly. "We can have a life together, Abhi. We can have all that you want and more. We can make our own perfect family."

I looked into his eyes. Those eyes that I had gazed into so many times. I could see that they were full of honesty and sincerity. I wanted to believe what he said. I really did. But I couldn't.

"No Jai. It's not that simple. At least, not here. Not now..."

© 2008 Kyle Grey

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2010 york366; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Fall - Anniversary Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..