Jump to content
    york366
  • Author
  • 3,588 Words
  • 1,121 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Winter - Ghosts Entry

The Blue Hour - 1. Story

The Blue Hour

by york366

 

*****

The month of May was always very rainy in northern Texas. It had been raining for three days straight that week. They had been driving back from Wichita Falls late at night when it happened. The creek had been overflowing and the whole road was washed out. Their car got caught in a flash flood, overturned and struck a tree. Brent's dad was killed on impact while Brent died sometime on the way to the local hospital. They pronounced him dead on arrival.

*****

It was during summer break that Bryce heard about the news from his friend, Christie. Apparently, Brent had gone to school at Plano East, where Christie had several friends. Bryce found the news somewhat unsettling but tried not to think about it after convincing himself that while tragic, it didn't really affect him in any way. The rest of the summer went by well, with Bryce working at an ice cream store and just spending time with his friends. Towards the end of the summer came a pleasant surprise as Mason Palmer asked him out on a date. Bryce had always found Mason to be quite nice and fairly attractive and really one of the few openly gay guys in school that he would be interested in. They went on a few dates, which they both enjoyed, and by the time senior year had begun, they were going pretty steady. With the start of school, also came the start of swim practices for Bryce. Since it was his last year to compete, Bryce fully hoped that he could improve his times and possibly place better in the division than he had last year.

At the first practice, the coach started everyone off with laps of freestyle. After finishing his laps, Bryce moved on to practicing his specialty, the backstroke. He was still working on getting more of a push off on his turns when the coach blew his whistle signaling the end of practice. After finishing his last lap, Bryce stopped at the end of the pool to catch his breath and pushed up his swimming goggles. He saw that the diving team, which consisted of a few girls, had congregated around the diving board, waiting for their turn to start their practice. Bryce was getting out of the pool and rubbing his eyes when he saw him, a boy with wet dark blonde hair wearing a black speedo approaching the edge of the diving board. As he reached the end, the boy stood up on his toes, with his arms up. He took in a deep breath and then jumped off the board, did a somersault and dived into the water with hardly a splash. This resulted in a few claps from the rest of the girls who were watching and talking to each other. Bryce was quite impressed as well, partly, because it was a good dive, and more importantly, because in his time at Plano, he had never seen a guy on the diving team. However, this guy was obviously quite talented, not to mention quite attractive.

Bryce was walking to the locker rooms when he saw the boy on the diving board again. He repeated the same dive with the same perfection. This time, some of the girls cheered and called out a name, Christian. However, when Christian got out of the pool, he just seemed quite somber and quiet and did not really pay much attention to the excited girls. Bryce watched him do one more dive, before he headed into the locker room to change.

Over the next few weeks, Bryce always lingered after practice so he could watch Christian practice a few of his dives. Christian's quiet and reserved manner prevented Bryce from making any effort to talk to him but he learned from the other girls on the diving team that Christian had transferred here to Plano from Plano East for some reason that he would not share. The few times that Bryce had seen Christian during school, he had still had that quiet and reserved manner, making Bryce assume that it was probably just the way Christian was.

It was a Friday in late October when things changed. Bryce as usual lingered that day to watch Christian do two dives before he went into the locker room. Bryce showered and changed into his usual jeans and t-shirt. Then he pulled on his hoodie, grabbed his bag, and headed out. It was a slightly chilly afternoon with the wind blowing the autumn leaves around, making Bryce pull up his hoodie as he walked to his car. He drove home listening to some of his mix CDs and thinking about nothing in particular. It was at home that he received a call from his boyfriend Mason. Lately, he and Mason had been drifting apart. They spent less time with each other and only occasionally went out on dates. They both seemed to be realizing that the relationship was coming to an end. However, they were both still good friends so that any break would have to be done on amicable terms. Mason had called to propose a date with dinner and a movie. Bryce, having no real plans of his own, agreed. It was five minutes after seven when Mason showed up and they both headed to a local pizza place for dinner and then to the Cinemark for a movie.

When they got there, Bryce offered to get some popcorn while Mason saved him a seat. Bryce was walking toward the concessions line when he saw Christian there standing at the end of the line. Bryce was a bit surprised to see Christian here, not suspecting Christian to be the type to venture to the movies often. He assumed that he was here with friends and soon enough that guess was proven correct when a girl walked up to Christian, informing him to get some candy and handing him a five dollar note. Christian then smiled, which was the first time Bryce had seen him do so. It was when the girl walked away, that Christian noticed that Bryce was standing behind him.

"Hey!" Bryce said casually.

"Uh hello."

"I don't know if you know me, but I'm Bryce. I'm on the swimming team at Plano and I've seen you diving there several times."

Christian nodded. "Yeah, I've seen you watching me."

Bryce felt a little embarrassed but tried not to show it. "Well, I just think you are pretty amazing. We've never had a guy on the Plano diving team so I think it's pretty awesome that you're doing it."

"Uh thanks. I guess there really aren't that many guys that do diving but it's just what I've been doing for the past five years."

Bryce gushed some more compliments that made Christian smile. In response to Bryce's questions, Christian talked more about his diving until they had both gotten the things they needed from the concession stand.

"Those are nothing really though," Christian continued. "I can do much better dives from the three meter diving boards but they don't allow those in high school competitions here."

"Oh really?"

At that moment Christian paused and looked at Bryce. "You know, you can come watch me if you want. I always practice in the mornings at the pool in Horton Park."

Bryce was a bit intrigued by the offer. "Um, sure, I guess, what time?"

"Six in the morning."

"Six? In the morning? I'm sure the sun isn't even up at that time!"

"Yeah, it isn't. But have you ever been up at that time?"

"Um, no. Seven is the earliest I ever get up!" Bryce replied with the laugh.

This caused Christian to smile. "Well, then you should definitely come. It will definitely be worth your time."

Bryce gave him a doubting look which caused Christian to smile again. "Trust me. Six o'clock, Horton Park pool."

At this point they were standing in the back of the theater and the trailers started so the two said good-bye and split with Bryce returning to where Mason was saving him a seat. The movie was entertaining and when it was over, Mason drove Bryce home. They made out in Mason's car for a bit and then it seemed like Mason wanted to say something but refrained and instead just gave Bryce a smile and one last kiss. Bryce went inside his home and up to his room. It was eleven and he figured that if he wanted to get up at six the next morning, he would have to go to sleep sometime pretty soon. That was if he did want to get up at six. However, Bryce was too intrigued by Christian's offer to pass it by so he set his alarm for five thirty and got into bed. It took awhile, but finally he was able to get himself to sleep.

When the alarm went off the next morning, it was definitely still dark outside. Bryce grumbled as he hit the snooze button on his alarm and turned over to get back to sleep. It seemed such a bad idea now that he had to get up at this unreasonable hour. However, when the alarm went off the second time, he managed to get out of bed. Figuring there was really no need to get ready, Bryce just put on jeans, a t-shirt and a hoodie, before heading out to his car. It was still dark outside since the sun was not up but he was a bit surprised to see that there was still some light. He got in his car and drove over to Horton Park, which was luckily not that far away. By the time he reached there, it was a bit lighter outside. He got out of his car and looked around. The sky was all a shade of blue that he had never really seen before. The air smelled really fresh and the only sounds were the occasionally twittering of birds.

"Beautiful, right?" came a voice from behind that startled Bryce. He turned around to see that it was Christian.

"Hey, it is beautiful."

Christian placed a hand on Bryce's shoulder. "It's called the blue hour because the sky is such a blue color. It's really amazing."

"Yeah."

"This is really what I wanted you to see but I'm also going to practice my dives now so you can stay and watch."

"Yeah definitely."

Bryce followed Christian to the pool where Christian removed the outer layers of clothes until he was wearing only his speedo. It was slightly chilly but it seemed that Christian didn't mind. Bryce slipped off his shoes and sat down at the pool's side with his feet in the water, which was also a bit chilly. He then watched as Christian climbed up to one of the diving boards, stopped for a minute to look over at the other one, before taking a few quick steps, jumping off the end of the board, doing a few somersaults and diving into the water with perfection. Bryce clapped as Christian got out of the water. Christian smiled and went on to do a few more dives and after his fifth perfect dive which included a twist in the air, he pulled himself out of the water next to Bryce and sat down.

"So?" Christian asked.

"Really amazing. Thanks for inviting me to come out here and watch."

"Well, usually I really hate to show off for other people but it seemed you were really interested so I made an exception," said Christian softly as he stared directly into Bryce's eyes.

Bryce just nodded as Christian leaned in closer. Then as their faces were just inches apart, Bryce felt Christian's lips on his own. He closed his eyes as their lips stayed in contact for just a minute before opening them and pulling back.

"Sorry, it's just that I don't know," stumbled Bryce. "I'm still in a relationship and all."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I, uh, didn't know," Christian replied.

Bryce felt like he should say something more but couldn't seem to get it out. Christian looked at Bryce but then realizing that he wasn't going to say anything else, got up and started walking to the diving board and was soon jumping off the board and diving into the water.

Bryce felt frustrated that he couldn't think straight. He was technically still with Mason. Of course, the relationship was at its end but technically it wasn't over. He still had this feeling like he was cheating when Christian had kissed him. However, he also wasn't stupid. He had figured out what this all had been leading up to. He had been expecting something like this but he was a bit surprised that Christian had actually kissed him. He was even more surprised that he himself had been so reluctant about it.

Christian then once again pulled himself onto the pool edge alongside Bryce.

"Let's just forget that happened, okay?" Christian said slowly. "I like talking and hanging out with you a lot though. Can we at least be friends?"

"That could work," replied Bryce.

*****

"Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Dallas - Fort Worth. Please remain in your seats until the aircraft has come to a complete stop..."

I woke with a start as the announcement came. The plane had already made a smooth landing and was taxiing towards the terminal. I yawned and stretched as much as possible in the cramped seat where I was seated. Soon we had reached the terminal and parked and people were getting up from their seats and grabbing their luggage. I got up and grabbed my backpack from the overhead compartment and proceeded to exit the plane. I had finished my first year at Brown and I was glad to finally be back home where I could rest and relax for the rest of the summer. I walked through the terminal towards the exit. Reaching the baggage claim area, I looked around but it didn't take long for me to see his smiling face. He was looking great in a light green shirt and cargo shorts and he still had his short hair dyed black. He walked towards me quickly and soon had me in a big hug.

"Bryce, I missed you so much!" he said.

"I missed you so much too, Christian. How are you doing?"

Christian smiled even more. "So much better now that you're here. Shall we head home?"

"Yep."

I followed him to his car where we both got in and he started driving towards my house. It was a warm and sunny summer afternoon. The whole ride home, I kept smiling as I looked at him. He just looked that great and just seeing him for the first time in months put a smile on my face. I couldn't wait to get home and just kiss him all over. I loved him so much.

*****

It had all started with a kiss. A kiss at the blue hour.

I had watched Christian diving at the pool after my swim practices but it was only one Friday while I was on a date with my then boyfriend, Mason, that I first talked with him. We talked for awhile about diving and swimming and he invited me to come watch him do dives at a local pool the next morning.

The next morning, before even the sun was up, I was at the pool watching Christian doing dives from one of the three meter boards. He looked so beautiful.

Then a kiss. It was a short kiss on the lips but it was full of meaning. I had drawn back, reluctant and now I curse myself for being so stupid then.

However, it was not the end. For awhile we didn't talk much. We exchanged the occasional hello and small talk at practices but beyond that I didn't see or talk to him much. Slowly though, we became friends and started hanging out more with each other. Meanwhile, Mason and I finally broke up. It was actually Mason who brought it up. It ended on good terms as I had expected and we are still friends.

A week later, I was at Christian's house for the first time, just hanging out and playing video games. It wasn't awkward at all as I had expected and I had a great time. Christian even showed me his room, which was surprisingly devoid of any of the medals that he had told me about winning. When I asked, he paused for a moment and then pointed to a box in the closet. I opened the box and as I pulled out the medals, I also found pictures. Mostly they were pictures of Christian after his diving meets, doing dives and showing off his medals, but most of them also had another guy, who was diving alongside Christian and also showing off his own medals, always with his hand wrapped around Christian. It was when I asked Christian about this, that the whole story came out…

*****

His name was Brent. He was my diving partner, my best friend and my boyfriend...

After I heard the news, I couldn't breathe. I gasped for air as my eyes filled with tears and my vision became blurry. My mom was there to wrap me in a hug as my feet gave way. I slumped against her still gasping with my eyes shut tight.

The following days were hell. I couldn't get out of bed yet I couldn't sleep. I lay curled up with my sheets, occasionally sobbing or just staring off into space. I also had a hard time eating. My parents were obviously quite concerned. They consulted various psychologists and I had several house visits as well since I was in no condition to go anywhere. Those were bleak days. It was as if the sun had stopped shining and all I could see was darkness ahead. The lowest point came when I found a pair of scissors and started running the sharp blade over my skin. I ended up in the hospital after that. Sitting in that hospital bed, I then realized what was becoming of me. I just knew then that I had to go on. This was not the end for me. I slowly started improving and was soon back at home. I got back to eating properly and getting around. The next big step then was getting back on the diving board. Diving had always been my passion but now it also carried a haunting memory with it. My parents weren't so keen on me taking up diving again but I knew there wasn't any way I couldn't. It took just a week to make myself go back to that pool. I would always get to the parking lot and then tear up. It was a sunny August day that I was again standing on the end of that diving board. It was that day that I officially got my life back.

School soon came around and I requested that I be transferred from Plano East. There was no way I could handle going back to school there. It would just be too much. And now that I had my life back, I wanted to move forward. My parents arranged for me to go to Plano instead. Life at Plano was simple. I didn't know people so I kept to myself. I joined the diving team and found out that I was actually the only guy on the team. It didn't really bother me though. The girls on the team were nice and I soon became friends with them. I told no one about my past even though they asked me often about why I had transferred here from Plano East.

It was then I met you. I was just instantly drawn to you and I couldn't help but kiss you, on the side of the pool, at the blue hour.

*****

The summer sun was streaming in through the window as I lay naked in my bed with Christian lying next to me. His hand was on my chest while I slowly ran mine through his short black hair. After being away at college, it felt great to be lying with him once again.

"You know, I can't imagine my life without you now," said Christian breaking the peaceful silence. "You've been here for me, always standing by my side. Helping me be strong."

I turned to my side and wrapped Christian in a hug.

"It's because I love you," I said pressing my forehead against his.

"I love you too," he said before kissing me.

As Christian lay back down after the kiss, I stayed on my side looking at him.

"I still remember our first kiss. Despite everything, it was so amazing," I said. "I was really surprised that you were so forward to actually kiss me then."

Christian chuckled. "I don't think I've ever been so forward."

"Then what was it that made you do it?" I asked.

"I was just really drawn to you," Christian stated evenly.

"But like what was it that drew you in so much?"

Christian looked at me seriously. "Do you want the truth?"

I shrugged. "Sure."

"It's because you look just like Brent. The first time I saw you, I thought I saw a ghost."

*****

© 2008 york366

Story Discussion

Copyright © 2010 york366; All Rights Reserved.
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

2008 - Winter - Ghosts Entry
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..