Jump to content
    Zenith
  • Author
  • 3,761 Words
  • 4,002 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Special Forces - 16. Chapter 16

This chapter is about Joseph. Most of it is from his point of view.

NICK

Joseph is doing well. By all accounts he’s getting at least B’s in his classes. He and Tyler are still ‘boyfriends.’ The Colonel reports that Joseph and Tyler are behaving responsibly. They are not yet ‘out’ at school, although LeShawn and his girlfriend are in on the secret.

Joseph just reminded us we’d approved a visit from him and Tyler. Which raised a problem. Did Tyler’s parents know about the boys’ relationship? If they didn’t, then Sam and I sure as hell weren’t going to be put in the position of ‘aiding and abetting.’ We didn’t want Tyler’s father showing up on our door with a shotgun (not that a mere shotgun would scare Sam).

When pressed, Joseph told us that Tyler’s parents didn’t know about their relationship, and that Tyler was not yet ‘out’ to them.

Sam and I laid out the situation in a conference call to Joseph and Tyler. We emphasized that we were not encouraging Tyler to come out. Just that we couldn’t condone a visit prone to misunderstandings. Joseph was angry at us. He didn’t see what the ‘big deal’ was. Tyler didn’t say much, but Sam and I repeated ad nauseum that Tyler was more than welcome to visit when the situation was open and above board, but in no case should Tyler feel pressured to tell his parents. Joseph was clearly disappointed because he’d been looking forward to showing us off to Tyler.

Joseph showed his displeasure by not phoning us for several days. When we called him his answers were terse and monosyllabic again. Sam, who always knows just the right thing to say, said, “You know we love you, buddy? And you know we’ve got your six, right?”

“Yeah, I know....”

“Come on, buddy, you gotta do better than that.”

“Um...I love you guys too.”

“Attaboy, Joseph!”

Two days later, my phone rang. It was a number I didn’t recognize. I was tempted not to answer it—I was in the middle of a painting—but I’d reached a stopping point. It was early afternoon, Jorge was home and Maria would be leaving shortly.

“Hello. This is Nick Poulos.”

“Mr. Poulos, this is Henry Mulrainey, Tyler’s father.”

Oh Shit. “Uh, hello Mr. Mulrainey.”

“You’re probably wondering why I’m calling.”

No shit. “Well, yes, yes, it is a bit of a surprise.”

“Tyler tells us you’ve invited him down to San Diego for a visit. Is that correct?”

Shit, shit, shit! “Well...uh...the subject did come up, although nothing definite was planned. Um...you couldn’t say there was an official invitation, no, not yet.”

“I see.”

“Mr. Mulrainey, uh...is there a problem?”

“I’ll get to the point Mr. Poulos. Tyler came out to Siobhan (pronounced shi-vawn) and me this morning before school.

“Oh...I see.... How do you feel about that, Mr. Mulrainey?”

“Siobhan and I have known Tyler was gay since he was four years old and wanted a doll for Christmas. We’d noticed a huge improvement in his mood these last few weeks, and now we’ve learned it’s because of Joseph. And your family, as well, of course. So we’re relieved and delighted. And call me Henry.

“Tyler told us about your conditions for a visit, Mr. Poulos. We think that was very wise and responsible of you and your husband.”

“Call me Nick. Well, Tyler’s a good kid, and he’s been great for Joseph too. He’s welcome to come for a visit any time. Don’t worry, we’ll keep an eye on them.”

“Siobhan and I have just had a quick discussion, and rather than send the boys down by plane, we’d like to drive down with the boys after school gets out. We thought we might stop at Disneyland for a couple of days on the way. Of course we’ll stay at a hotel in San Diego. We’d like to visit the zoo while we’re there too.”

Sure, Mr Mu... uh, Henry, I’ll talk to Sam and get back to you. Thanks for calling. We’ll look forward to meeting your family soon.”

A few minutes later, I was rinsing my brushes when my phone rang again. This time it was Joseph.”

“Hey, Joseph.”

“Nick! Did Tyler’s father really call you? Oh man. That’s sooo rad! And we might go to Disneyland. I’ve never been. That would be so cool! And his mom and dad were so cool! Like they’re totally okay with him and me and...you know.... But I haven’t met them yet. I’m kinda scared. Do you think they’ll like me?”

“Trust me, Joseph, they’ll love you. I think it’s very brave of Tyler to tell his parents.”

“Yeah, I guess. So can I go with them? You know...to drive to your place...please!”

“Well, if things work out, yes, that would be fine. But Joseph, it’s really up to the Williams. They are your guardians, after all.”

“Oh yeah. I’ll go ask them right now. Bye!”

I was left shaking my head. Joseph’s moods were certainly capricious.

Two minutes later: “They said yes! But they gotta work it out with Tyler’s parents and with you guys and everything. It’s okay, right? We can come, right?”

“It should be okay, Joseph. But I have to talk to Sam. We’ll have to figure our schedule for your visit. It would be nice if Sam could get a few days off. I’m assuming you guys want to go out on the boat?”

“Oh man. I’ve told Tyler how cool your boat is!”

“Does Tyler have any brothers or sisters who’d be coming as well?”

“Um...I don’t think so. He’s got an older brother who lives up in Oregon. He even has two nephews! And he’s got an older sister, but I think she’s up at Sacramento going to school or something.”

“Joseph, is your homework done? You’re pretty worked up. Will you be able to sleep tonight?”

“Yeah, my homework’s done. The Williams make me do it before dinner. Um...I’m not sure if I’ll be able to sleep too good tonight.... I mean Tyler’s parents know about us and Tyler says it’s okay. Do you think they’ll like me?”

“You really like Tyler, don’t you?”

“Yeah, I really do.”

When I got back into the house I asked Jorge if he knew what Disneyland was.

“Everybody knows about Disneyland, Papi! Megan even went and she saw Mickey Mouse! Can we go Papi?”

Hmmmm.

Later, while Sam and I were eating dinner I told him about Henry Mulrainey’s call and Joseph’s exuberant plea that we approve the trip. “Joseph’s pretty excited. I’m not sure he’ll be able to sleep tonight.”

“I’m really glad that Tyler’s parents are so accepting. Not surprised Joseph’s excited. Do you think this visit thing would work? School gets out around the beginning of June, right?”

“Something like that. They’d be staying at a hotel, and probably go to the zoo on their own, but it would be nice if we could take them out on the boat for a day, and maybe have them over for a barbeque too.

“Sam, maybe we should take a couple of days off and make this visit special. I’m thinking we could drive up to Disneyland and meet them there for the day. It’s only a two hour drive each way. Jorge knows about Disneyland. One of his classmates, Megan, I think, has told him about it. In fact he asked if we could go and I gave him a ‘maybe’ answer. So this is a perfect opportunity to take him. He’d love all the attention from Joseph and Tyler.”

“Why don’t we take Budweiser up? We could stay at the marina, and then bring the boys back down to San Diego on the boat.

“Great idea, I’ll run the idea past the Williams and Mulraineys.”

“Yeah, Joseph’s going to be pretty excited. I wonder how he’s doing. I mean, really doing?”

JOSEPH

Joseph was having a hard time getting to sleep. He couldn’t believe Tyler’s parents were cool with Tyler being gay. Although he was still annoyed with Nick and Sam for making Tyler tell his parents. What would have happened if Tyler’s dad beat him up? But Tyler said he didn’t think that would happen, and from things his parents had said, he thought they might already have figured it out. Which turned out to be true. Tyler said his parents were sort of nice. They had strict rules, but they never hit him or anything. And they always bought him nice presents for his birthday and Christmas. Tears sprang to Joseph’s eyes when he thought about his crappy parents.

The Williams were like new parents, but not really. They were very nice, but Joseph lived in fear that if he screwed up he’d get sent away. He was pretty sure he wouldn’t have to go back to his real parents—there was some sort of court order about that—but maybe they’d send him to a group home or something. So Joseph was doing his best to behave and be helpful. The Colonel knew about him and Tyler and seemed cool with it. But what if he was just pretending? Maybe he’d already called Children’s Services or something....

The only person he really trusted was Sam. Nick was nice, but Sam was a rock.

And all this stuff about going to Disneyland and then visiting Nick, Sam and Jorge in San Diego? Tyler seemed pretty sure it would happen. But, alone, in bed, in the dark, Joseph was beginning to doubt it. Tyler’s parents hadn’t met him yet. Joseph knew that they’d hate him, that he wasn’t good enough for their son. What had his own father called him? An abomination. They’d tell Tyler never to see him again!

Joseph’s heart was pounding. His stomach was in knots. His breathing was shallow and rapid.

Sam. Sam would know what to do. Joseph picked up his phone and dialed Sam’s number.

Joseph, my man!

“Uh...hi...Sam.”

What’s up Joseph? Everything okay?

“Well, kinda. But...I’m gonna meet Tyler’s parents tomorrow.”

And you’re worried about that?

“Yeah.” That’s what Joseph liked about Sam. He just understood.

Okay, you know that Mr. Mulrainey talked to Nick, right? And Mr. Mulrainey told Nick that you’ve been a good influence on Tyler, right?

“No...I didn’t know he said that.”

Does knowing that make you feel a little better?

“Yeah, a little.”

Are you worried they won’t like you?

“Yeah, but what if they tell Tyler...you know...that we can’t...um...hang out together anymore?”

Sam was well aware that Joseph, as well as having normal teenage angst, had acute self-confidence issues resulting from his rotten father’s treatment. (Sam had first-hand experience with that.) So he chose his next words carefully—he needed to acknowledge Joseph’s fear without pandering to it. A delicate line to walk, but one Sam had taken many times in his career. He’d seen a lot of guys with pre-mission jitters, and knew how a team leader handled that.

Okay, Bud. There’s always a chance of that, but in this case, a very slim one. ‘Cuz, like we say in the SEALs, we’ve got good intel. And that is, that Tyler’s parents think you’re a good influence on their son, and they’re already planning a trip down this way. If they thought they wouldn’t like you, they wouldn’t be planning a trip, right?

“Uh...I guess so.”

Okay, so you’re facing some risk. No shame in feeling a little anxious. But you have all the attributes you need to win over the Mulrainey parental unit. You’re intelligent, polite, talented, and damn fine looking. So when you charge into battle tomorrow, stand tall and proud. Smile, even if it feels like your face with crack. Give the enemy a good firm hand shake; look ‘em in the eye. Do your best Soldier! That’s all you can do. And always remember, Nicky and me, and the Williams, we have your six.

Joseph chuckled at Sam’s military-style pep talk, but he got what Sam was saying. Sam didn’t sugar coat things. There was still some risk. But Joseph realized he had some control. Maybe, just maybe, he could make a good first impression with Tyler’s parents. There was only one way to respond to Sam.

“Yes, Sir!”

Atta boy, Joseph.

Joseph managed a few hours of restless sleep after that, but he was up early the next morning preparing for his big day. He took extra care getting ready. Blow-dried hair. Newest Jeans. T-shirt that brought out the color of his eyes. Unfortunately, there was little that could be done for the pimple on his chin. He dabbed on some Clearasil and prayed it would diminish a little during the day. (And he offered a further prayer that another one wouldn’t appear--better take the tube of Clearasil to school just in case.)

School lasted forever and was acutely painful. Boring English. Boring American Studies. Boring Math. At least Tyler was in his Art class, and they ate lunch together, but they hardly spoke. Tyler seemed almost as nervous as Joseph.

Finally. Finally! The last bell rang and he raced to his locker to exchange books before meeting Tyler at the front of the school.

The two boys walked to Tyler’s home in virtual silence. What little conversation they had flowed like this:

“You cool?”

“Yeah, sorta, you?”

“Yeah, me too.”

And somewhere in Joseph’s triune brain—that is to say, almost subconsciously—Joseph realized that Tyler was just as nervous about the upcoming meeting as he was.

In spite of the tension, Joseph was glad to be in Tyler’s company. It wasn’t like they’d done anything yet. Just a bit of private hand holding, and Tyler had kissed him goodbye on the cheek that one time. But still, Joseph felt close to Tyler. It was like he was included in Tyler’s aura or something.

After a walking generally uphill from the school for about fifteen minutes Tyler pointed and said, “That’s my house. The white one just before the corner.”

Joseph’s eyes followed the direction of Tyler’s finger and he saw a two story, Spanish style house. It had arches over the front porch, black shutters and a red tile roof. It looked pretty darned nice to Joseph. There was a minivan parked in the drive which led to an attached double garage.

“That’s my mom’s car.”

Joseph stopped walking. It took a few seconds for Tyler to realize he’d left Joseph behind, and then he turned and saw the slumped shoulders, and the stricken look on Joseph’s face.

“What’s wrong, Joseph?”

“Uh...what if she doesn’t like me?”

Tyler didn’t know what to say to that. He had the same worries himself. His parents had been nice and all, but what if they had second thoughts? What if this was just a setup to tell them they weren’t allowed to be boyfriends?

Well, it was too late to back out now. Even from half a block away he could see his mother. Oh God, she was standing at the open door waving!

“Gawd, this is sooo embarrassing!” said Tyler. Joseph snorted.

“Come on, Joseph. If we turn and run she’ll just chase us down the block.”

Joseph stood paralyzed for a few seconds, and then he remembered Sam’s words. He straightened his shoulders, pasted a smile on his face, and strode forward to meet the enemy.

“Uh, Ma, this is Joseph,” said Tyler once they got within voice range.

“Joseph! It’s so nice to meet you! Come in! Come in!” said Mrs. Mulrainey, with a huge smile on her face.

“Uh, hi, Mrs. Mulr...Mrs. Muh...”

“Oh, that’s such a mouthful isn’t it? Why don’t you call me Mrs. M?”

“Okay...” was all Joseph could manage.

“I stopped on the way home from work and got some donuts. I hope you like donuts. I’m not really much of a baker myself. I should have baked cookies, but...”

“Mom, it’s okay,” said Tyler.

“Oh, right.... Why don’t you take your books up to your room and show it to Joseph. Then come back down to the kitchen and we’ll have those donuts.”

Joseph followed Tyler up the stairs to his room. “I’m so embarrassed!” said Tyler.

“She seems nice,” said Joseph.

“Yeah, mostly....”

“So this is your room?” Joseph took in the single bed with its blue patchwork quilt. There were posters of boy bands on the walls. No girls, Joseph noted. There was a desk with a laptop on it. A bookshelf with books and a couple of trophies, and a family photo.

Tyler stood nervously as Joseph looked around. Joseph reached out his hand and took Tyler’s. “I like it,” he said.

“Joseph....” And then Tyler stepped close to Joseph, front to front, and looked into Joseph’s eyes.

Joseph’s heart began to pound, and, God forbid, his dick jumped to attention. He tried to will it down, but it had a life of its own. Tyler reached up and put his hand on Joseph’s face, and whatever little willpower Joseph had over his errant dick evaporated. He was as hard as a hammer. His face burned with excitement and shame.

Then Tyler moved in for the kill. He kissed Joseph on the lips! And he didn’t stop! At first it was light, a bit tentative, but he kept his lips there and Joseph found himself responding. He leaned into the kiss, his lips seeking Tyler’s.

Tyler moved his hands to Joseph’s lower back and pulled him close. At first Joseph resisted because he was mortified that Tyler would feel his erection. But between kisses Tyler said, “Me too...” And Joseph knew exactly what he meant. So he pushed his pelvis against Tyler’s and felt Tyler’s own hardness pushing back. His hands magically found their way around Tyler’s torso. He very nearly came right then and there.

Joseph reluctantly pulled away from the kiss. “Oh. My. God. Tyler!” He could hardly form the words his heart was pounding so hard in his chest.

And even though all they’d done was kiss and rub a little, Joseph felt so very different—as if he’d irrevocably crossed the virginity boundary. The experience was so profound, and the feeling so intense, so life-altering, that deep down in his soul he entered a new realm.

“We better go downstairs before mom comes looking for us,” a smiling Tyler said.

Two giggling boys adjusted their equipment. Luckily their clothing was loose and their t-shirts were low enough to hide the evidence.

Tyler led Joseph by the hand, and that’s how they entered the kitchen. Mrs. M took one look at the entwined fingers, Cheshire cat smiles, and flushed faces, and she smiled. A big, sincere, happy smile.

And Joseph felt a surge of relief. He had nothing to fear from Tyler’s mom. Now Tyler’s dad might be a different story....

The hungry boys made quick work of the Krispy Kremes and tall glasses of milk.

After asking Joseph a few questions about how he was enjoying school and living in Monterey, Mrs. M broached the subject of the upcoming trip to Disneyland and San Diego.

“I’ve been busy,” she said. “I talked to the Williams, and they’re perfectly happy about the trip. And I talked to Mr. Poulos too. And guess what?”

“What?” the boys said in unison.

“They want to bring their boat up to Los Angeles and, if you want, you can ride down to San Diego with them. Of course that also depends on the weather.”

“Really?” said Joseph. “Oh, wow! Would you like that, Tyler?”

“Oh, yeah! Totally!”

The boys sat at the dining room table to do their homework, although the next hour was ten percent homework and ninety percent excited talk about the upcoming trip. But they managed to get their homework sheets completed—at least all the blanks were filled in. How accurate the answers were was anybody’s guess.

Soon they heard the garage door opening, and Tyler scrunched his face into a grimace-smile and declared, “Dad’s home!” as he turned his eyes toward a door in the kitchen. Joseph followed his gaze.

Tyler’s dad entered with a big smile. “Hi, honey!” he said to his wife and gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Where are the boys?” Then he saw them and smiled even broader. “Hey! I’m Tyler’s dad,” he declared unnecessarily.

Joseph’s survival instinct told him there was absolutely no hostility in that greeting, so he smiled, stood up from the table and approached Mr. Mulrainey with an outstretched hand. “I’m Joseph,” he said.

He’d done what Sam said to do. He stood straight, he smiled, and he met the enemy head on!

“It’s good to meet you Joseph. Tyler’s told us a lot about you. All good things, of course!”

Mrs. M added, “But he failed to mention how good looking Joseph is!”

Joseph blushed deep scarlet.

Mr. Mulrainey went to get changed and Mrs. M recruited the boys to help with dinner. Joseph was assigned the task of cutting up the salad vegetables. Tyler had to trim the green beans, and Mrs. M put four large potatoes in the oven to bake. “We’re having barbequed steak tonight. Is that okay with you, Joseph?”.,.

“Oh, yeah!”

Mr. Mulrainey came back. “Why don’t you boys grab a soda, and I’ll grab a beer, and we can go out and fire up the barbeque.”

“So, I hear we have a trip coming up?” said Mr. Mulrainey once they were outside. And that was the topic of conversation right through dinner.

Mrs. M served Tyler’s favorite chocolate cake for dessert—which instantly became Joseph’s chocolate cake. Then Mr. and Mrs. Mulrainey took Joseph home in the minivan with Tyler along for the ride.

Joseph remembered his manners and thanked the Mulrainey’s profusely for having him over, and for the dinner, and for planning the trip. The words came naturally to Joseph, because all the happiness he was feeling at that moment just came bubbling out.

The Colonel and Mrs. Williams came out into the driveway to meet Tyler’s parents, and to give their thanks to the Mulrainey’s as well. They all agreed to get together soon to discuss the details of the upcoming trip.

Joseph was sleepless again that night. Not because he was worried, but because he was gloriously excited and happy. Tyler had kissed him! The Mulraineys liked him! Oh man, Sam and Nick were going to be so happy too!

He picked up his phone and called Sam.

Copyright © 2016 Zenith; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 30
  • Love 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Nice! The budding romance is taking major steps forward and the trip sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. Plus, the parents certainly seem to be supportive – – everything is really coming together.

 

Love the way the story of moving forward – – good job!

Link to comment

Really, enjoyed this latest chapter; it was nice getting the story from Joseph's point of view. The story flowed really well and felt spot on. The only issue I had, just to nitpick was the fact that they thought their son was gay because he asked for a doll when he was four for Christmas? I don't know, that bothered me some, not enough to keep me from fully enjoying the chapter, but it just felt a little off to me...

 

It is great to see how Sam interacts and reacts to Joseph and his concern's. Just so well written and thought out...

 

Great job and can't wait for the trip...

Link to comment
On 05/03/2016 04:05 AM, centexhairysub said:

Really, enjoyed this latest chapter; it was nice getting the story from Joseph's point of view. The story flowed really well and felt spot on. The only issue I had, just to nitpick was the fact that they thought their son was gay because he asked for a doll when he was four for Christmas? I don't know, that bothered me some, not enough to keep me from fully enjoying the chapter, but it just felt a little off to me...

 

It is great to see how Sam interacts and reacts to Joseph and his concern's. Just so well written and thought out...

 

Great job and can't wait for the trip...

Yes, you are right, I stand chastened. But I'm glad you're enjoying the story nonetheless. Your feedback is very appreciated!

Thanks, the next chapter will be out soon

Z :)

Link to comment
On 05/03/2016 03:50 AM, Robert Rex said:

Nice! The budding romance is taking major steps forward and the trip sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun. Plus, the parents certainly seem to be supportive – – everything is really coming together.

 

Love the way the story of moving forward – – good job!

Thanks, Robert. Joseph is a sweet kid, and he deserves a break, don't you think? The next chapter is devoted to him.

Thanks for your encouragement. It keeps me going :)

Z

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..