HIV Infections

MikeL

I guess you think it would be stupid of my opinion,

I said this manytimes, I will condoms til I know it's right and we get tested and just won't be with any guy, has to be for a long time.

Married doesn't mean your better to have sex etc. and non of our business if a couple desides one way or another, by shoving down their throats.

I think for kids there needs to be different infomation about sex passed around for sex education not just abstinence, Abstinence wasn't taught when I had went to them, and frankly I would like to see gay sex to be taught as well.

I responded to smarties by pm, I can't remeber much of sex ed, but I do remeber the drug part, some pretty disgusting pictures. esp with huffing.

A few comments on that. First, I've heard of lots of instances of one person in a straight marriage cheating, picking up STDs (including HIV) and bringing it home to their spouse. So honestly who's to say it is a good idea? I'll butt out if it's a married couple, but I'm disinclined to ever advise them against condom use (unless they are specifically trying to conceive, but that should be pretty obvious).

Anyway, you said 'monogamous couple', referring to gays, in your first statement, and then 'straight married couple' in your second. Sorry, but there's a difference. Just as there's a difference between a 'monogamous straight couple' and a married straight couple.

I would VERY MUCH and VERY STRONGLY encourage a straight, monogamous couple to use condoms. Sorry but simply 'committed' and 'monogamous' don't cut it for me, whether you're gay or straight I still think it's stupid to have unsafe sex.

Now, if you want to compare apples to apples, if it's a gay 'married' couple who have done it somewhere in which marriage is legal, or they've entered a domestic partnership, civil union, or at least had a commitment ceremony - and assuming that a closed, monogamous relationship is a part of their partnership (which is the same requirement I would have for married straights to engage in unsafe sex) - then sure, I don't object at all and don't consider their behaviour foolish.

If they've been faithful to each other for years and intend to remain partnered and monogamous for the duration of their lives, then of course I don't care if they've had any ceremony or legal arrangement (as I don't with straight couples). But I'm sorry this 'oh I love him and we're going to be together forever' nonsense that so many couples (gay and straight) pull as an excuse to have unsafe sex isn't going to float with me. Just because it's your steady boyfriend/girlfriend - regardless of whether it's a gay or straight relationship - does not mean you should be having unprotected sex with them. Give it a year or two, minimum, and then talk to me about commitment and monogamy.

-Kevin

Edited by Drewbie

hahaha oh god the shame... i remember during one of our sex ed lessons a guy fainted... he never lived it down...

and the worst part i have to say would be the gaping vagina with gonorrhoea...

i felt physically sick... seriously... those images scar kids bleugh!

poor you. I can't go to any of the local gum clinics either, he runs them all. I don't think we were shown anything as bad as that in my school. I went to this taster 2 day thing for students thinking of medicine though and one of the docs was seriously funny, but why oh why he chose that proffession and showed us those pic I don't know! another guy was a brain surgeon, not sure which pics I saw were worse. In RE a girl fainted, that was from this film on abortion over time.

Do you americans have anything like this, there's always debate here of how much and how early they are supposed to tell kids, but reading it now it does sound graphic. we had our 1st session when we were age 9-10 I think, but it was only basic I think. in that same class when I was 13 I remember the teacher explaining what 69 was. we also covered drugs too, and exactly what experience they gave you.

celia

• 1 month later...
There is resent research that indicates that Africans and people of African ancestry may be more susceptible to AIDS infection as a result of an adaption that protects against malaria.

Also there is some natural immunity in some people of northern European ancestry. People descended from folks who survived the Black Plague seems to have some genetic advantage in this regard. I sounds like natural selection at work, sort of like when you use anti-bacterial soap too much you select for resistant bacteria, or similarly over-use of antibiotics.