Christopher Rice

Christopher Rice is fast on his way to making a name for himself as more than just Anne Rice's son. I strongly recommend his two novels, "A Density of Souls" and "The Snow Garden." The first is obviously a first novel but in the second, he more than finds his element and presents a story with several different levels and numerous twists. I spent nine straight hours reading before I came up for air and resent having to go to work because it is taking me away from this incredible book.

In "A Density of Souls," he explores the emotions of several high school friends, one of whom is gay and another who is in denial. Set in the Garden District of New Orleans, the story is told with amazing realism, not only toward the setting but in regard to the emotions of the characters, as well. An amazing first novel.

The Snow Garden occurs on the campus of a New England university I am only halfway through it, but I can tell you that it involves an openly gay student, his straight girl friend, a roommate known for his sexual conquests, two deaths twenty eyars apart, and Hieronymous Bosch! How's that?

Read them both!

:2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs::2thumbs:

I have just completed The Snow Garden. I am revising my recommendatioon. I still enthusiastically recommend it, however, I must say that the one thing that stands out about Rice's style is that his endings are a bit overdone. I will give nothing away, but in both books, I think he goes a bit over the edge. I think you will understand what I mean when you read it.

Reposted from GD w/some additions

(FreeThinker @ January 23 2004, 05:56 PM)

... Set in the Garden District of New Orleans, the story is told with amazing realism, not only toward the setting ...

If the story is set in the Garden District, I would hope he did justice to the setting, since he grew up in the Garden District.

As a matter of fact, the house that he grew up in, is the house that his mother used in her witches novels. She used her home in the Garden District as the home of the Mayfair Witches.

I didn't know that he even wrote. If he is half as good an author as his mother, he will be very good indeed. Have to check him out.

Thanks FT for the info.

Tomas