"You can close your eyes to reality, but not to memories." - Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
I was sitting astride a ladder with a small paintbrush in my hand, staring towards the forest. Staring was probably the word. I was not admiring the trees or counting birds. I was looking through the forest, past it, somewhere farther away, while my mind did what it had become very good at: escaping.
Far from this place that had become my defeat, my penance and my punishment.
Here, my
Behind the Iron Curtain, Poland, 1983. The country is under martial law. This is not a war of armies and battlefields, but a conflict between the state and its own society. In a remote military unit, twenty-one-year-old Janusz is trying to survive the army, the system, and himself. Then Rafał arrives. What begins as fascination soon becomes something far more dangerous: desire, fear, tenderness, and a relationship neither of them fully understands.