-
Posts
6,514 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by sandrewn
-
Mark I agree with you about Villenneuve. What I am not so sure is the why (he didn't). Something I have always believed in and curiously found in a story I once read. From 'The Kandric Saga' by Kyle Aarons. In chapter 12, between Capt. Vondum and his slave/squire Conth: " To try and fail means you failed. Failure is second worse to only one thing, fear. To not try, due to fear, means failure and you disgrace yourself in the process." P.S. Kyle, if by chance you read this, please post your next chapter, thanks in advance.
-
A spectacular Climax. Though victory was all but assured, when L'Orient blew up, literally vapourizing hundreds of her crew, the Frenchs' back was broken and all knew what the final outcome would be. Had Villenneuve's Division come to their aid, history might have changed (at least to the degree of the victory), as he did not, history stands. George did everything a(any) Captain of the Fleet should/could have done. When you factor in that he was all but dropped into the position, on the eve of the battle, his performance becomes all the more noteworthy. An extraordinary chapter, thank you mark
-
Mark, your ability to describe the excitement and feel of this action is amazing. Your words have placed us all inside the battle. If I close my eyes it is like an IMAX 3D experience with my mind suppling the imagined sounds, lacking only the the actual taste and smell of the burning gun powder. Glorious, thank you.
-
No ship, so of course what else is there to do but make George 'The Captain of the Fleet', brilliant! Then news from home, mostly good, with a few new questions needing answers. His experiences and knowledge from Toulon are really making him an asset to Nelson and the looming engagement. Great chapter, thank you.
-
I had to go back and reread the chapters after George's description of John's passing. It got to me again as it did then. Once again you have set the scene for George's involvement with history (even without his ship). Reviewing late allowed me to read your other replies. I did note (honest) and wonder that at the meal a certain midshipman (with a branded cheek) that I expected to see was absent. It finally hit George that what he had accomplished really was extraordinary by the looks of awe on his fellow Captains' faces. A truly great chapter and setup for what is to come. Thank you.
-
Justice institute tried to off them. HQ (the good bots?) now has them and needs them, a bot war has started. They are right in the middle of it all. Will they make the difference that is needed. Good chapter, thank you.
-
So they are bot executioners. There are bot factions, some bots want them dead. Some humans want them dead. Time flies when you are having fun. Good chapter, thank you.
-
I honestly don't know what to comment on. I found the chapter interesting and enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
-
I read it twice, you still have me hooked. Good chapter, thank you.
-
I have on occasion been green with envy. I've been told that I have a green thumb. You have taken it to whole new level. Can't wait to find out why. Then add their newly acquired mind linking abilities. I must have more chapters, please. Thank you.
-
This is the first of your stories I have come across. It has captured my attention. Odd maybe, interesting definately. Thank you.
-
Chapter 5: The Reality of the Reverends
sandrewn commented on David McLeod's story chapter in Chapter 5: The Reality of the Reverends
This really is a perverted universe you have painted for us. I worry for Matthew and hope that Hamish ( much like Paul ) will be able to somehow help him. Great chapter, thank you. Note: Thanks for your heads up to me. -
Chapter 4: Military Options
sandrewn commented on David McLeod's story chapter in Chapter 4: Military Options
Pauls' actions have brought him to the attention of the Enterprises' Captain. Stated in ch 2, the Fleet Mainframe did get his results and identity, dispite his efforts to erase them. What do they (Fleet) have instore for him next? This is great, thank you. -
Chapter 1: Sheriff's Boys' Ranch, Earth Analogue
sandrewn commented on David McLeod's story chapter in Chapter 1: Sheriff's Boys' Ranch, Earth Analogue
This is one scary, alternate universe that you have created. Hamish along with Matthew seem to have be selected for something special. So the their journey begins, where will it end? This is a great read, thank you. -
First you annouce only one chapter to go (sadness), then we find out Gracchus is the father of Marcus. This is / was a great story. However, I don't know how you are going to end it, but will enjoy whatever last minute twist you add to it. Thank you.
-
Agreed. It is important to not that Edward Ingram is an expert on the British Raj and Empire (I have two or three of his books - worth a read) but he is not a military historian. He would probably be the first to acknowledge that this point of view assumes that the outcome would have been the same at sea, which tacticians will tell you is completely incorrect. In this case, Wiki quotes an "expert" outside of his field of expertise. Westie I initiallly thought it would be you to jump all over my post, to my surprise it was Mark himself. Good to have you back. Sandrewn
-
I, unlike you didn't take that one extra step to check my facts (sigh). I took what I read in Wiki (see below) and jumped (foolishly) to my conclusion. Bad on me. In spite of the overwhelming British victory in the climactic battle, the campaign has sometimes been considered a strategic success for France. Historian Edward Ingram has noted that if Nelson had successfully intercepted Bonaparte at sea as ordered, the ensuing battle could have annihilated both the French fleet and the transports. As it was, Bonaparte was free to continue the war in the Middle East and later to return to Europe personally unscathed.[195] The potential of a successful engagement at sea to change the course of history is underscored by the list of French army officers carried aboard the convoy who later formed the core of the generals and marshals under Emperor Napoleon. In addition to Bonaparte himself, Louis Alexandre Berthier, Auguste de Marmont, Jean Lannes, Joachim Murat, Louis Desaix, Jean Reynier, Antoine-François Andréossy, Jean-Andoche Junot, Louis-Nicolas Davout and Dumas were all passengers on the cramped Mediterranean crossing.[196] Well at least this got some activity going again in this forum.
-
This battle was one the most significant British naval victories in history. After this and throughout the Napoleonics Wars, England remained the dominant force in the Mediterranean Sea. However it has been said that by leaving the transports intact ( I know, Nelson couldn't find them, but he didn't really try to after the battle), this allowed the war(s) to continue on longer. Those transports eventually allowed Napoleon to return to France with most of his senior officers. Many of whom would become his General Staff and most important advisiors in the years to come.
-
Now we understand just how vast Comet is. The shock of going from hundreds to thousands of Dolphins. And so the adventure begins. Great chapter, thank you.
-
I should of said (last review) the formal meeting between the three groups, Dolphins, Humans and AIs. Sonics' increasing influence on Attunga, a request becomes a concerted effort to save the dolphins on Earth. Great chapter, thank you.
-
Columbus meeting the natives of the Island of San Salvador. Cook making first contact with the Gweagal at Botony Bay. Our trio becoming a part of history with the formal meeting of two species. Glorious, simply glorious. A truly inspiring chapter, thank you.
-
Well I did ask. So, Representive to Freedom (Ambassador). Exactly how old is he? Things are speeding up. Our trio are hard pressed to keep up. Though I'm not worried (or should I be?). I would guess the genisis of Freedom were the islands of New Zealand. I enjoyed the Maori welcome Haku. Great chapter, thank you. For readers interested: see following Pōwhiri - Māori welcome | New Zealand New Zealand islands to be formally named – in English and Maori - Telegraph
-
Reminds me of the movie 'Total Recall'. A handy ability to have. This was a feel good chapter, almost like a lull, before the storm. Thank you.
-
So the prediction was spot on. The attack was stopped, with no dolphins lost. However they (the bad guys)are now warned and I think their next attack will not be so easily foiled. Great chapter, thank you.
-
Attungu - A high place. I can see how this story was named. Then there is 119 year old Akama, most likely a Wajarri Yamatji. Thus suggesting that Wirrin has indigenous australian genes. A kindred spirit. You weave a captivating tale. Great chapter, thank you.
