Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 671 Words
  • 943 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Tower, and other pieces - 4. Maxims and other fragments II

...an ongoing list...

.

"With writing I am like a swimmer at sea –

I must, or die."

 

 

 

"I had dreamed about this moment, and in my dreams I revealed to him those deep and secret things I knew I would one day tell him in person; esoteric things too sacred to be spoken in the daylight, but meant to be whispered far, far back in the chamber where only one small shaft of light is allowed to reach the minute golden statue of the sun god Amen – the same god whose name ends each and every Jewish and Christian prayer by the invocation of his holiness – a wish for light to strike deep in the hidden chambers of our hearts too."

[from my short story How the Heart Approaches What it Yearns]

 

 

 

 

"If Love be truly blind,

How can it ever find?

 

No, Love is determined,

Yet it knows how to bend.

 

So, Love may be blind,

But it's not hard to find –

The rub is making up Its mind!"

 

 

 

 

"Connection; what in the

Human universe is

More beautiful than that?"

 

 

 

 

"In writing, there are details,

And then there are aspects.

'The faded rose is dying.'

Faded is a detail; hope is an aspect."

 

 

 

 

"August in that part of the world is a magical time. The oppressive blast of desert heat can suddenly erupt into suspended dewdrops lingering in the shimmering air. The breeze shifts to come strongly from the southwest and smells like iodine. Dark clouds, sometimes black as night, come on this metallic-tasting wind, and sheets of solid gray rain track towards you with impending doom. People seeing this, rush indoors. They gather at windows, or on patios to wait the arrival of the 'gully washers,' and some are inclined to reach for hands at the climatic moment the drops fall like lead shot to ding the lean-to roofs and bounce off the ochre-clay dust that covers the ground."

[from my Simon Novella, Farther Along]

 

 

 

 

"The enemy is the feeling

That everything has been said."

 

 

 

 

"Airedales may be bad at being good,

But they so good at being bad!"

 

 

 

 

"Simon's act of heroism is in lying to a nun.

He does it to protect the innocent –

Himself and another."

[about my Simon Novella, Farther Along]

 

 

 

 

"An hour rolled by in blissful oblivion. Downstairs – as that hour began – Jason had found and pushed his way out to John and Sam, who with raised arms and throbbing hands punched the air and danced in soothing abandon. Now, the sweat pouring off his neck and soaking his dark t-shirt, caused John to bend over him, and with a long kiss, lift that shirt free and away from his loved one's body. John deftly tucked the shirttail end of it into Jason's corduroy waistband, just at the small of his back, to flap and dry behind him – and to pat the backside he found there once or twice. Jason threw his arms around John's neck, and as the sweaty and bare outer coverings of their in-sync hearts met, they – and all the crowd around them – continued to reverberate with the sustained and synchronized heartbeat of the music. Jason pulled his fiancé down into a prolonged and carefree kiss. John, loving the feel of peach fuzz, sensed that like the clouds bussing the sun on a perfect summer's day, all the eyes around them turned wan and longing to bask in that kiss' warmth."

[from my short story In Six Hours]

 

 

 

 

"Pride is what we think matters,

Once others have taken our dignity."

 

 

 

 

"Religion that is resource to connection is holy;

Most profoundly when the connection

Is to the common divine

In all of us."

 

 

 

 

_

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Your latest post is titled "Maxims and other Fragments V." I haven't read any of this so I decided I should go back to the beginning. I enjoyed these bits and pieces immensely! I am not certain I understood the point or message, but the word use and phrasing really pleased me. Now, on to the next chapter. Thanks. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, JeffreyL said:

Your latest post is titled "Maxims and other Fragments V." I haven't read any of this so I decided I should go back to the beginning. I enjoyed these bits and pieces immensely! I am not certain I understood the point or message, but the word use and phrasing really pleased me. Now, on to the next chapter. Thanks. 

Thank you, Jeff! These are just little pithy saying that come to me sometimes. Sometimes as a write a story; sometimes while I'm thinking about an issue; sometimes unexpectedly in the shower ;) I never know when they will strike. 

For these Maxims and other Fragments chapters I have strung a few of these sayings together, and peppered in a scene or two from some of my stories. I show them here for a little relief, and for a chance to highlight some moments in my fiction that I think work really well. 

Thank you for looking through this collection today. I really appreciate it!

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..