Jump to content
    akisar61
  • Author
  • 2,002 Words
  • 1,942 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Tears for Toby - 3. Chapter 3

Part 3
Life at Priory Road

Our new house in Priory road was much larger than the old one which had consisted of only two bedrooms. Now we had a four bed roomed house but I didn’t get to have my own bedroom to myself straight away. As my brother Paul was still very young my mum thought it best he share with me till he was old enough to sleep in his own room. The fourth bed room was the smallest and was being converted into a nursery. By the colours in the room I guessed that my parents knew that my mum was expecting a baby girl.

There weren’t any other kids on our street who were the same age as myself but there were quite a few the same age as Paul, which he met when I was doing my chaperoning duties and took him to the local park. When I could, I liked going out on my own riding my bike. As we were right on the outskirts of the city, it was only a six or seven minute ride before I was cycling down country lanes. It would have been great to have someone my own age to come with me or having Toby out here would have been brilliant and I’m sure he’d have loved it.
I think it must have taken me all of the school holidays and the best part of a month to come to terms that I would never see Toby again. At home many times during the summer holidays when I was alone in my room, I would have to try really hard to hold back the tears whenever my mind focused on Toby.
When I went out on my own cycling down country lanes and when my thoughts turned to Toby, because there was no one about I would let the tears trickle down my cheeks unchecked. Till it was necessary for me to stop and dry them and wait till I had my crying under control before I continued on my way.

It was nearly always after my fits of depression when I’d come home after my ride, that I would go to the phone and stand by it trying to pluck up the courage to phone Toby. But being shy and mild mannered and the thought of rejection by Toby because of his strong attraction to Vincent, I always stayed my hand.
Mum and dad realized that I was feeling down now that Toby wasn’t coming around to visit. So they went out of their way to try and make me feel better by spending more time with me. Dad would get home from work as early as possible, and he’d be out in the back garden or in the park teaching me his tricks with the football. He showed me how to juggle the ball and other means of ball control. I really appreciated the time both my parents spent with me it helped a lot as I learnt to live with the absence of Toby, with of course the added bonus I became quite proficient at ball control thanks to dad.


As the holidays neared their end I became a bit anxious and concerned as to how I was going to fit in to the new school. But my fears were unfounded. After my mother had dropped me off and I walked through the gates of Evington Park High School, other than getting a few enquiring glances, and because there were other newbie’s beside myself I was not given any undue attention.

It was during the first break that I got to meet Noah Grainger I was standing alone taking a sip of my drink when a couple of older boys made their way over towards me.
“You need anything?” one of the boys asked.
Puzzled and not knowing what they meant I just shook my head.
The other boy was just about to say something when they both just took off. I looked over to where their eyes had glanced before they left and saw a boy only slightly shorter than myself but more heavily built walk up to me.
“Hi I’m Noah Grainger,” he said, and before I could respond he continued, “Did those two losers try to sell you something,”
“I don’t think so,” I said, “they just asked me if I needed anything and were quite nice about it.”
He laughed at my explanation, and then with a more serious look on his face added, “They weren’t trying to be nice, they’re always on the lookout for someone they can con out of their money. Don’t ever offer to buy anything off them, they’ll take your money and in return you’ll get some really cheap imitation quality goods that they get from their uncle’s discount store.”
“Thanks for the warning,” I said, “and I’m Joseph Burton,” introducing myself.
“Okay Joe, see you around,” and he took off towards the other side of the recreation ground as I stood and watched him go.

I didn’t talk to Noah again till a couple of weeks later when I accidentally bumped into him as I was playing during the lunch break. Although I was taller by a couple of inches he was much sturdier built, and I, being built like a beanpole bounced off him ending up on my arse. He grabbed my arm and pulled me up effortlessly grinning at the same time.
“Are you hurt?” he enquired.
“No just a bit embarrassed,” I said grinning along with him.
“Okay come on I’m just off to get a drink do you want to get one as well?”
“I don’t have anymore money,” I said, “and any case they’ve only got still orange juice left in the canteen which I don’t really like.”
“Who said anything about the canteen,” and grabbing my arm Noah steered me towards the gates and out into the street, “We can get a couple of milk shakes from Burgher King,”
“Noah, I just told you I don’t have any money for drinks.”
“I’m not deaf,” he said, “I heard you the first time, come on,” and he grabbed my arm and literally dragged me to the Burgher King to get the milk shakes.
From then on I spent a lot of time with Noah and became very fond of him, but I never cared for him in the same manner as I cared for Toby. Noah was a friend, my best friend, and I was very fond of him but that was it. I never aspired to do anything sexual with Noah and it was the same with him as I’m sure he was as straight as you could get them.

********************

I settled into school life and although I didn’t have a lot of friends Noah was always around to keep me from being a total loner.
For the next couple of years Noah kept me company until for some unknown reason he suddenly fell madly in love with Jeanette Foster who had been in our class for the past two years, and in all that time he’d totally ignored her, and now he spent all his free time in her company. I wasn’t too concerned with Noah’s absence as luckily for me I had been chosen for the school’s under 15 football team, which I can put down to dad spending all that time with me in the back garden and park.
I was spending a lot of time after school at practice with the rest of the team, and as we played either on a Friday or a Saturday I didn’t have much time to reflect on what Noah was doing. Noah did try on one occasion to fix me up with Jeanette’s friend, but I let him know I wasn’t interested in dating any girl, and although he didn’t say anything at the time he did give me a funny look.


Three weeks before the end of term we had three schools league football matches left to play. If we won all three matches it would ensure our team being crowned the league champions. The irony for me was that the next match was against Oak Grove. It would mean going back to the school that I hadn’t seen in nearly three years and wondered if I would see any of my old class mates especially Toby.
But then I realized that Toby was not into sport to any great extent so it would be highly unlikely that he would attend a football match. Given the choice he would much prefer to watch a movie or just hang out with his friends. The other reality was we were playing on a Friday afternoon, so the rest of the school would be in their classes.

On the day of the match after the school lunch break the team gathered in the gym and waited for the Head Coach Mr Findlay to arrive. At precisely 1.00pm he walked into the gym and asked us if we all had our gear? And got a resounding “Yes sir,” from us.
He then walked us to the school gates where a coach was waiting to take the team to Oak Grove High School.
It was a 42 seater and as there was only 20 in the party I was able to get a seat to myself at the back of the coach. As we neared the school so I started to recognise areas that I hadn’t seen in over two years. It wasn't too long before we were driving through Oak Grove school gates and around the back of the school parking by the side of the playing field. While we drove around the school I kept a sharp lookout for anybody I knew or even hopefully Toby, but all the pupils must have been back in classes after the lunch break as there were no pupils in sight. When we parked by the pavilion there were a few spectators scattered around the field mainly parents of the Oak Grove team but not that many. The only person I thought I knew was one of the boys sitting on the Oak Grove team reserves bench, it looked like Keith Buckle. But I couldn’t be sure as he was much taller and broader from when I had last seen him.

We were shown to the changing rooms by one of the players from the opposing team and ten minutes later we took to the field.
At 2’00pm the referee blew his whistle and the match was under way. It was really more of a mismatch, as we were considered one of the better teams in the league we ran them silly. It was only down to their keeper that the score didn’t go into double figures but we did find the net 5 times. We were then shown where the showers were and after bathing we were soon all changed and dressed and heading back to the coach.

I took the same seat at the back of the coach and as we came around to the front of the school I had my eyes riveted to the school’s main entrance. Quite a few pupils were exiting through the doors but none that I knew and certainly not Toby. I was still looking at the entrance when I heard some banging on the side of the coach but didn’t pay much attention to it thinking it was some kids messing around. The coach stopped which allowed me more time to peruse the school entrance. I heard the coach door open and didn’t pay it any mind as my eyes were riveted to the school's main doors, and I was still praying that I’d see Toby. Until for some unknown reason I suddenly turned to see why the coach door had opened. A platinum blond haired boy standing at the front of the coach looked at me and yelled “JOEY.”

Copyright © 2011 akisar61; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..