Jump to content
    Alex
  • Author
  • 1,152 Words
  • 1,062 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Terra Vitae - 2. Chapter 2

I am going to warn you of the impending "scary" moment that awaits, as well as a bit of a comic relief.
Jenson caught his captain in his arms as he lost consciousness, he picked him up with ease and laid him on the bunk that he usually slept in. He looked down at his captain’s sleeping face, studying every detail. Those features that made his thought process strain.
 
He knew that something was amiss with his programming. There has always been this issue with him, it just became ever more prominent after he had been inserted into this new platform. It was different from the ship, much smaller and more fragile than it as well. Though he quite enjoyed it, the ability to move like a human, to see through two visual receptors, to hear through the synthetic ears, and to be able to touch with his own two hands. He was happy to have this platform, this body even.
 
He looked back to his captain and spotted the torch on his jumpsuit. He narrowed his eyes and glanced to the open hatch noticing that it was not sealed. He crawled toward it, being restricted as he was in the tight space. He grabbed the handles located next to the opening and pulled himself out of the vessel.
 
He landed on the ground with a thud, which was an obvious break to the silence of the room he was now in. He took in his surrounding seeing a large gaping opening in front of him brimming with energy that was most likely a shield to hold in the cocktail of gases that humans rely on to breath, to his left was a large grouping of transport shuttles that had seen better days, and to his right was a large steel plated door that had to measure in at least three meters tall and around the same measurement in width which dominated most of the wall.
 
He began making his way toward the door, intent on finding what was on the other side. He wanted to know why they came to this seemingly derelict place. He was almost to the door when the scratching noise began. He stopped immediately and listened. He heard the scratching more clearly, enough to know it was coming from the other side of the door.
 
He backed away, more alert than ever. His eyes began to scan the room they were in more thoroughly searching for anything he had missed previously. He noticed there was a large pile of scrap that he must have missed before. He saw a very slight movement. So small no one but a hyper alert person would notice. He edged forward step by step carefully and quietly.
 
He stopped suddenly when the entire pile shifted dramatically, falling to the side with a loud resounding thunk. His security protocols kicked into high alert. He marched forward determined to find the source of this disturbance. He halted directly in front of the scrap pile, then stretched downwards and grabbed onto the biggest part. He used his platforms inhuman strength to lift it and toss it aside.
 
After the chunk was removed he looked about the remaining clutter to find whatever had caused the earlier shifts. He found nothing in the pile or near it. This drove him to be even more alert. He began scanning for life forms. And saw something that all but terrified him. An additional lifeform was resting next to the Sentinel.
 
He began striding forward at a ridiculous pace to reach the ship and detain this lifeform before it harmed his captain. No one harmed his captain. He reached the ship and rushed into the the hatch to make sure his captain was unharmed. He frantically looked about the ship in search of this lifeform that he didn’t see outside. He only saw his captain still resting in the same spot which relieved him greatly.
 
His security protocols still in overdrive though rendered that relief useless. He scanned once more for lifeforms and only came up with his captain. He was greatly concerned for their safety and began to search for their position on the galaxy map he had stored in his data banks.
 
The world that appeared was Terra Vitae, a mining colony located near the city world known as Anchorhead. They were currently located on the only existing space elevator linked to the planet. He began to wonder how unsettling the planet would be, if the elevator station was already this eerie.
 
“Jenson?” His captain’s voice fractured his thought process, and his eyes were drawn to the man.
 
“Captain, our current position is unsafe. I must imply that we need an immediate relocation to a safer and less unsettling place to operate.” He began spouting borderline orders veiled as suggestions to his captain. His captain pinched his nose and drew his eyes shut tightly.
 
“We have a mission. One that I require your aid for to accomplish. Please don’t make his harder than it has to be.” His captain said with obvious irritation lacing his voice. Jenson clenched his jaw, and furrowed his brows.
 
“Captain, this place is unsafe. I have picked up odd readings. I detected an additio..” Jenson began to spout off. Only to be interrupted by the captains odd explanation.
 
“Pancakes!” He yelled at the top of his lungs stopping Jenson from continuing. The look on his face so determined yet filled with humor and irritation. It was an odd look indeed.
 
“Captain?” Jenson asked confused by the captain’s abrupt outburst.
 
“Pancakes. I. Want. Pancakes.” The captain said. His voice full with this serious tone that was obviously faked. So much that he even punctuated each word.
 
“Captain, I don’t believe I understand.” Jenson said as he attempted to process what must have been going through his captain’s head at that moment. He watched as his captain made his way over to the extremely small kitchenette which was basically a mini fridge and a compact oven. Reaching into one of the containers he pulled out what seemed like a food container that presumably was filled with pancake mix. He began to wonder if his captain was insane. He began pulling out all sorts of things and laying them out. He even preheated the oven.
 
“Captain are you okay?” Jenson asked, looking at his captain with great concern.
 
“Call me Silas Jenson. I thought I told you to already.” His capt.. Silas said with the agitation still heavy in his voice. He just continued with his task of baking pancakes as Jenson watched him. Silence falling upon them once more.
 
They sat there until the pancakes were finished. Then Jenson watched as Silas hungrily devoured every last one of them. Jenson’s thoughts drifting farther and farther away from the disturbing situation earlier as he watched Silas eat his pancakes.
     
Hope you enjoyed it!
Copyright © 2016 Alex; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Very interesting.
Just check your grammar and expression.
"He noticed a pile of scrap metal that went unnoticed before" should be in past perfect.
Things like "button nose" in the middle of all this otherwise ambitious wording sound like a style break.
"glanced to the open hatch seeing that it was indeed open" seems a little obsolete.
"began to plot out their position" doesn't make sense (or maybe it's because I'm misunderstanding something). If Jenson is trying to find out where they are then he's not "plotting". Positions aren't plotted. Courses are.
For example. Those are things that I tripped over when reading this.
But you've made it intriguingly mysterious, and spiced it all very well with sci-fi tech terms, which is very nice.
I look forward to the next parts.

Link to comment
On 11/04/2015 12:39 PM, Doctor Oger said:

Very interesting.

Just check your grammar and expression.

"He noticed a pile of scrap metal that went unnoticed before" should be in past perfect.

Things like "button nose" in the middle of all this otherwise ambitious wording sound like a style break.

"glanced to the open hatch seeing that it was indeed open" seems a little obsolete.

"began to plot out their position" doesn't make sense (or maybe it's because I'm misunderstanding something). If Jenson is trying to find out where they are then he's not "plotting". Positions aren't plotted. Courses are.

For example. Those are things that I tripped over when reading this.

But you've made it intriguingly mysterious, and spiced it all very well with sci-fi tech terms, which is very nice.

I look forward to the next parts.

Okay.

Link to comment

Nicely done... And interesting mysteries you've set up. The unidentified movement in the scrap? The seeming possession of the captain. The captain's lack of response to Jensen's kiss?
Looking for answers ahead.
You've done well with your plot's development!

Link to comment
On 05/05/2016 08:11 PM, Robert Rex said:

Nicely done... And interesting mysteries you've set up. The unidentified movement in the scrap? The seeming possession of the captain. The captain's lack of response to Jensen's kiss?

Looking for answers ahead.

You've done well with your plot's development!

Thank you! I strive to to impress!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..