Jump to content
    Andy78
  • Author
  • 1,468 Words
  • 2,176 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>

Harry Gets Sorted - 1. Chapter 1

span>This story is based on the fifth 2007 anthology theme "Road Not Taken".

The black haired, eleven year old wizard sat on the stool, and he looked out upon the Great Hall of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

He looked around at all of the students, the ghosts, the floating candles, the enchanted ceiling, and anything else to try to take his mind off of the churning of his stomach. The last thing he needed, the last thing he wanted, was to throw up at his new school in full view of the entire student body and the whole teaching faculty.

He heard all of the whispered conversations running around the Great Hall; it had started as soon as his name had been called out. He tried to pick out who was doing the whispering, but he couldn’t make out any of the details; he wondered just how many of those whispers were about him.

He watched Sally-Anne Perks as she trotted off to join her house’s table, and then he saw the blond boy who had so irked him in Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions.

Before he could take anything else in, the stern looking witch, whom Hagrid had earlier addressed as Professor McGonagall, plopped the raggedy looking Sorting Hat on his head, just as she had done with those students who had come before him. Unlike the other students, including the cute Malfoy boy, the Hat seemed to be struggling where to place him. In spite of his deepest fears, the damned Hat wanted to put him in Slytherin!

But why did that bother him so much?

Sure, Voldemort had been in Slytherin, and sure, He Who Must Not Be Named had killed his parents, along with who knew how many other witches, wizards, and muggles.

Hagrid, who for some reason he trusted implicitly, had told him at Diagon Alley ‘There’s not a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn’t in Slytherin’.

Aside from that, he had no real reason to object to being in Slytherin.

Surely, Voldemort would still have killed his parents had he been in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, and perhaps, just perhaps, there had even been kids who had once been in the great and noble Gryffindor House who had crossed over to join You Know Who.

Harry doubted very much that every single witch and wizard throughout all of history, who had ever done anything even remotely illegal, had all been in Slytherin, and that the other three houses were as pure as the driven snow.

Harry thought back over his life. He certainly didn’t hate muggles; he knew that much. After all, his mother had been a muggle born witch, but then again, could he truly say that he liked them?

His limited contact with muggles had consisted of his Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon, who had made his life unutterably miserable ever since that fated day when he had landed on their doorstep as a baby. They had kept him locked him up in a cupboard underneath the staircase until the first of the Hogwarts letters had started arriving, a few days before his eleventh birthday. They had underfed him for years, they bullied him nearly as badly as Dudley had, and they resented his very presence in their home.

Naturally, there had also been the great lump himself, the bane of Harry's childhood, Dudley Dursley. Piers Polkiss and the rest of his cousin’s cronies were just as bad; growing up, their favourite sport had always been to use Harry as a punching bag.

There had been kids at their primary school who had completely ignored and avoided him for years. They weren’t too bad really; they all had to live with the terror of Dudley and his gaggle of idiots day in and day out. They had enough to worry about, just trying to stay under the bully’s radar; befriending Harry would just have been a very bad idea.

There were the kids at his old school who had openly tormented him and bullied him; they were the worst. They were most likely either hoping that Dudley would allow them to join his gang, or that Dudley would leave them alone when he saw how they treated Harry.

Last of all, there was nutty Mrs Figg from down the street, with all of her cats, who occasionally fed him stale chocolate cake, and always bored him stupid with her photo albums of all of her dearly departed feline pets.

Harry's experience of muggles during his ten years at Number 4, Privet Drive had been neither positive nor pleasant. However, he was smart enough to recognise that his exposure to the muggle world was a very tiny snippet of a much larger world, a snippet that was largely dominated by his aunt and uncle’s bigoted views on all things that didn’t conform to their narrow minded view of normalcy. Those views had, over the years, naturally been passed onto his cousin.

Not that any of that meant that he believed for a moment that muggles should be tortured and killed for simply being who they were. Though, he wondered for a brief moment, if all of that was enough to mean that the muggles should be kept in the dark about the magical world.

What was it the blond boy had said to him back in Diagon Alley? Something about not letting the other sort in to Hogwarts? About keeping it in the old wizarding families? If his family were indicative of muggles, then perhaps that wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

He had enjoyed his journey on the train with Ron, and had thought he would like to have Ron as a friend, but his mind kept on returning to the cute blond boy whose hand he had refused to shake.

Sure, Malfoy seemed an arrogant opinionated git who was full of himself, and he clearly thought that he was better than anyone else; however, one thing certainly could not be denied, he was a hell of lot cuter than any of the other boys in his year were.

Harry surreptitiously glanced over at the Slytherin table, and he realised that Malfoy was practically the only cute boy, hell the only cute kid, in that entire house. The girls looked as though they were sucking on lemons, and the boys looked like their arses were where their faces should have been; and that was actually the better looking ones.

Harry wondered what it would have been like to have taken that offered hand on the Hogwarts’ Express. To have felt Malfoy’s skin against his own. To have become lost in those stormy grey eyes. And those compartments on the train had seemed pretty private, so who knows what might have been able to happen on the long journey up from London.

Would it really be so bad if he were put in Slytherin?

In spite of the reputation of the house of Slytherin, the house had continued to exist. Surely, if the students, and the house, were so dangerous, were such a threat to the world, then the house would have been disbanded decades, if not centuries, ago. In the muggle world, college and university fraternities had been stripped of their charters and closed down owing to illicit activities; surely, there were similar laws in the magical world? If Slytherin House had endured for so long, in spite of its dark reputation, then perhaps being in Slytherin wouldn’t be such a bad thing.

Then last, but certainly by no means least, there was the biggest bonus of all if he were sorted into Slytherin House; he would get to share a dorm with Malfoy, spend every night with Malfoy for the next seven years.

Harry could only imagine how this Sorting looked to the rest of the school. He had been sat on the stool for ages, his backside had gone numb, and he was beginning to wonder if the Hat would ever Sort him. Unbeknownst to Harry, the entire school had been watching this Sorting with bated breath.

Unseen by everyone, except for the ever observant Minerva McGonagall, Headmaster Albus Dumbledore checked his pocket watch for the fifth time since the Sorting Hat had been placed on Harry's head. Professor McGonagall glanced over at Professor Dumbledore and he gave her an almost imperceptible nod; it was now official, this had been the longest Sorting in Hogwarts history.

The Sorting Hat spoke to Harry once again. “Not Slytherin?”

Harry finally gave in to the inevitability of it all; he knew where his destiny lay.

The Hat spoke again. “Well, if you’re sure?” Harry just nodded.

The Sorting Hat opened its mouth wide, the entire Great Hall was on tenterhooks, and even the usually reserved Professor McGonagall was verging on apoplexy.

“Better be . . . SLYTHERIN!”

span>This story is based on the fifth 2007 anthology theme "Road Not Taken".
© 1997-2022 J.K. Rowling, Bloomsbury Publishing, Scholastic Press; All Rights Reserved; The Harry Potter universe belongs to JK Rowling and her publishers. This fanfic belongs to me. Copyright (2013) andy021278.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction that combine worlds created by the original content owner with names, places, characters, events, and incidents that are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, organizations, companies, events or locales are entirely coincidental.
Authors are responsible for properly crediting Original Content creator for their creative works.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Recognized characters, events, incidents belong to J.K. Rowling, Warner Bro / Discovery, WB Games and subsidiaries. <br>   <br>
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Well that most definitely would be so road no one would even have thought of Harry taking. It would actually change so much of the original story, would actually be interesting to see hehe.

Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 08:09 AM, Daithi said:
Well that most definitely would be so road no one would even have thought of Harry taking. It would actually change so much of the original story, would actually be interesting to see hehe.
Thanks for the review Daithi.

 

I've always wondered just how much would have changed given this, but trust me I have no plans to rewrite the entire HP universe :lol:

Link to comment

Nice thinking Harry a Slytherin. Would like to know if he and the blonde boy who bitches a lot would get to be friends?

 

I guess there's enough slash already written about those two being friends....

 

i thoroughly enjoyed the little journey back to first year...

Link to comment
On 04/23/2013 02:09 PM, Swhouston44 said:
Nice thinking Harry a Slytherin. Would like to know if he and the blonde boy who bitches a lot would get to be friends?

 

I guess there's enough slash already written about those two being friends....

 

i thoroughly enjoyed the little journey back to first year...

Thanks for the review.

 

You're right in that there is a lot of slash fiction around about those two. Most of it is when they are older - well old enough so that the sex and stuff doesn't sound weird and perverted :lol:

 

I think the first year gets overlooked a lot because it would end up being a slash without sex.

 

Glad you enjoyed the look back.

Link to comment

Cool :P I think a lot of Harry Potter fans have wondered what would've happened if he was sorted into Slytherin :2thumbs:

Slytherin rules !! :lol:

Link to comment
On 04/25/2013 07:16 AM, Slytherin said:
Cool :P I think a lot of Harry Potter fans have wondered what would've happened if he was sorted into Slytherin :2thumbs:

Slytherin rules !! :lol:

Thanks for the review hun :)

 

I've always been a fan of the bad boys. I would have liked to have seen a darker side to Harry at some point. This would have been the perfect start :lol:

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..