Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 5,063 Words
  • 1,040 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sword of Kings: Tempered by Fate - 22. Fleeing Treblanc

Kieren and his companions remained totally dumbfounded and completely confused by what had just taken place. Reflexively, they scanned the area looking for Madumda so they would be ready to defend against his next attack, but he was nowhere to be seen. Not only that, but the magical bonds that had been holding the warriors in place had inexplicably been broken and Kieren’s protectors discovered they were once again free to move around. The only question left was what had happened to their nemesis to make this possible?

Immediately, the warriors began to roam about the foyer, while searching for any sign of the Dark Lord’s presence. The dwarfs thought Madumda had used his magic to either hide or flee the area, even though neither one could explain why he might have chosen to suddenly disappear. He had a clear advantage at the time, so it didn't make sense that he wouldn't have stuck around to take advantage of the situation, but the fact still remained that the sorcerer was nowhere to be seen.

Others, like Alairic and Rhys, believed that somehow Madumda had been destroyed, but they were unable to offer any proof or rational explanation about how it might have happened. Even though they didn’t have any definitive evidence to support their position, the pair still felt it was the only possible explanation. They thought the blinding flash of light was similar to what occurred when Srejan had been destroyed, but that still didn’t prove Madumda was truly dead. In the meantime, everyone was searching for a clue about what had just taken place when Kieren finally spoke.

“Although I do not understand what happened,” the bewildered young man stated, “for some strange reason I feel as if this struggle is now finally over.”

“What was that flash?” asked a stunned Garreth, now that he had finally found his tongue again.

“At first I thought it was the result of the Dark Lord’s effort to destroy me,” Kieren admitted, “but since I am still here that couldn’t have been what it was. Then I suspected he had used his powers to flee, but why would he have done that when he was just about to kill me?” Kieren swallowed hard after saying this, because he was keenly aware of just how close he had come to dying.

“Nothing posed a threat to him once I was down and the sword had been knocked from my grasp,” the teen continued. “He was in complete control of the situation, so I am unable to explain why he suddenly vanished. There was no reason for him to just take off before he'd finally eliminated the last of the heirs that could threaten him.”

“I’m not sure if I should bring this up or if it has anything to do with what happened, but I feel I should at least point it out,” Alairic offered tentatively, as he started to put into words what he'd been thinking. “The thing that struck me the most about what just occurred was the sudden burst of light that filled the area when Madumda disappeared. It reminded me of when Kieren destroyed the troll’s pet, because both events were accompanied by a blinding flash. This makes me believe that Madumda was also destroyed.”

“I guess it’s possible,” Kieren conceded, “although I have no clue about how it might have happened. Madumda was totally in control at that point and I had only just managed to grab a hold of the sword again, so how could that have killed him? And an even better question might be, if that flash really destroyed the Dark Lord, then where is his body? The troll’s pet didn’t completely disappear when I used the Golden Medallion to destroy it, so why isn't Madumda's body laying here where we can see it?”

“That’s another reason I wasn’t sure if I should mention this possibility,” Alairic confirmed. “I had wondered that very same thing myself.”

“Methinks Madumda’s sudden disappearance might be linked to whomever he speaketh with,” Turquinine offered, injecting a new variable into the equation.

“Yes, but who or what was he talking to?” Garreth followed. He, like the others, was seeking to understand this small mystery as well.

“I am totally baffled about that too. I have absolutely no idea who he was speaking with or what he was talking about,” Kieren admitted. “At first I thought he was addressing one of you, but it didn't take long for me to figure out he wasn’t doing that either. It was clear his conversation had nothing to do with anyone here, especially after he started claiming that whoever he was talking to was supposed to be dead. We were the only ones in the room with him at the time, so who did he think was supposed to be dead?

“It got even weirder when he accused me of playing some sort of trick and causing him to hear the voices, even though none of us could hear them as well,” Kieren continued. “I wish I knew what they were saying, but maybe what he heard was enough to make him leave. Who knows, they could have possibly caused his death too, even though I have no idea how that could have happened either, but I don't believe I did anything to cause it."

“Aye. Methinks his disappearance was to flee from those he speaketh to,” Turquinine offered.

“I guess it’s possible,” Kieren confessed, “but somehow I don’t believe that’s what happened either. I mean he seemed to think I was causing him to hear the voices, so if he actually believed that then why would those voices make him disappear? Even though I am still confused about exactly what happened, I am sensing an inner peace and truly believe Madumda is gone forever.”

“He’s obviously gone, because the hold he had on us ended when he disappeared,” Quintain acknowledged. “I just don’t know if it means he was destroyed or only disappeared.” There was another lengthy period of silence before Rhys spoke up.

“I certainly have no definitive explanation for what happened either, but I may be able to offer some tangible proof to support Kieren’s intuition. I believe the Dark Lord must have been destroyed or why else would he have left his staff of power behind? Yet, there it lies.”

All heads suddenly jerked toward the spot where Rhys was pointing and all eyes focused on the necromancer’s staff. It was still resting beside the wall, in the exact spot where Madumda had dropped it just before he removed the sword from the wall. Suddenly remembering the sword, the companions began to look around the room and quickly spotted the sword the Dark Lord had been using. It was lying on the floor as well, so Madumda must have either dropped it or it was knocked from his grasp by the blinding flash. Although no one had heard it clatter when it hit the stone floor, it was still in the foyer too.

A myriad of questions raced through their minds as they continued to ponder this situation. If the Dark Lord had truly been destroyed, how was he killed and who was he talking to just before he disappeared? If he wasn’t dead, then where was he and might he be planning yet another attack against Kieren? Although no one could say for certain which case was true, Kieren remained steadfast about his own beliefs.

In response to this lingering skepticism, Kieren suggested there was only one way they would be able to answer these questions, once and for all. They would have to seek out Beraut and utilize his keen insights into matters of this nature. Then, just as he was about to propose that they needed to come up with a plan about how they were going to leave this place to find the wizard, Kieren turned slightly and unexpectedly came face to face with Jana. Since he had been so wrapped up dealing with the details concerning Madumda’s disappearance, he had almost forgotten who she was and why she was there.

“I thought he was going to kill you,” she told Kieren in between sobs, once he was looking in her direction.

Jana was trembling and deeply troubled by everything she had just witnessed. Without explanation, she threw her arms around Kieren’s neck and embraced him tightly.

“I’m so glad you are all right,” she sighed.

At first, Kieren wasn’t sure how he should react, but eventually he hugged her in return, in an effort to provide her with some comfort as well. Although the embrace didn’t last for very long, it seemed to mean a great deal to Jana. As he was letting go of her, Kieren suddenly remembered about the others being there as well, so he looked at them and spoke.

“I suggest we take this symbol of Madumda’s power and go to find Beraut,” he told them. “If the armies are still fighting, then maybe we can use the Dark Lord's staff to end the battle before any more blood is spilled.”

“I don’t mean to question your judgment or disagree with you,” Sedain began, quite seriously, “but how do you suggest we get out of this place? If Madumda raced back here because he knew something was amiss, then I would guess he might have alerted his guards to this fact on the way in. I would suspect they might be looking for outsiders and have orders to destroy anyone that is found.”

“Thou mayest be correct in thine assumption,” Turquinine bellowed in agreement, “so what wouldst thou suggest we do next?”

“I’m not certain, but if that has happened,” Sedain replied, “we will not escape from here easily.”

“Of that I am positive,” Alairic interjected. “It most likely means we'll have to fight our way out and I am convinced that wouldn't be prudent. I don’t think it would be wise to risk Kieren’s safety further, now that he’s disposed of Madumda and cleared the way to become king.”

“I agree with Alairic,” Quintain added. “We do not have the numbers sufficient to fend off the guards stationed here, so such a move would be foolhardy.” Everyone was thinking about what to do next, when Kieren spoke again.

“Jana, are you sure there isn’t another way out of this place?” he asked, while hoping for a miracle. Jana gave her hero one more loving stare before she responded.

“As I told you before, there is no other way that I am aware of, except for the secret path you used to get in here.”

“That won't help, because it goes in the wrong direction,” Kieren noted. “We have to get to the battlefield and stop the bloodshed before more loyal Tarolians are killed. In order to do that, we'll need to devise a plan that will allow us to leave through the main gate without getting killed.”

“I don't see that as an encouraging possibility,” Rhys reasoned, “but if Jana is correct and there is only one way out of here, then we have no other options but to fight our way out or stay put until Beraut and the others come to rescue us.” Everyone was now contemplating Kieren and Rhys' pronouncements when Kieren spoke again.

“Hang on a second!” the teen demanded. “I think it would be best if we took the time to check the situation out first, so we will know exactly what we’re up against. We need to find out how many guards there are and if it might be possible to sneak past them.”

“I’m not sure that would be wise either,” Quintain countered. “Doing so might instigate a confrontation we would be better off avoiding.”

“I agree we would have to be very careful,” Rhys broke in, “but as long as we take the appropriate precautions it might just work. We can deal with a limited number of guards and even do away with a few of them without bringing unwanted attention to ourselves, at least in the short term, but…”

“But what if they are able to raise an alarm first?” Quintain asked, cutting the northerner off before he had a chance to finish. “If that happens, then we’ll be forced to deal with Madumda’s entire guard.”

“I think I know of a way we can avoid that possibility,” Kieren offered, without elaborating.

“And just how might we do that?” Sedain countered, skeptically.

“You’ve forgotten about my robe,” Kieren announced, while noticing he now had their full attention. “I can use it to sneak about and have a look around so we’ll be better able to judge what we’re facing.”

“But that will put you in danger again,” Garreth observed, while showing he was sincerely concerned about his friend’s safety. “Maybe you should let someone else use your robe to do that.”

“No!” Kieren replied, adamantly. “I can do it and I still won’t be in as much danger as I was a little while ago, when I was forced to confront Madumda. This time, I’ll be invisible and not facing anyone with his enormous magical power.”

“Although that is true,” Rhys countered, “it will still place you in peril. Maybe Garreth is correct and you should let someone else borrow your robe to perform this task.”

“This mission has placed us all in constant danger,” Kieren shot back, “and I’m sure my predecessors would not have shirked such a duty merely because it was perilous. If it is destined for me to become king, then I cannot cower in the corner each time I might have to face danger. I am going to do what needs to be done, regardless of the risks.” Obviously, battling the Dark Lord had given Kieren a sudden boost of self-confidence.

Having said this, Kieren went back to the stairway to retrieve his robe. It was still lying where he had dropped it, just before he moved off the final step to challenge Madumda. Once he had fastened all of the clasps again, Kieren lifted his hood, pulled his arms into his robe and immediately vanished from sight.

This caused Jana to gasp in shock. Even though he had done this in her presence before, it still disturbed her. Rhys quickly explained what had just happened and assured her Kieren was fine, so she relaxed slightly.

Although the others couldn’t observe his movements, Kieren walked toward the doorway leading from the foyer and slowly pulled it open. He was only mildly concerned that someone was on the other side, because he felt if anyone had been there prior to this then they would have heard the swords clanging off of each other and entered to see what was going on.

When the others noticed the door starting to open, they reflexively stiffened and lifted their weapons into a fighting position. They were prepared to defend themselves and their companions, since they weren’t certain if Kieren had actually opened the door or if someone else from outside was entering the chamber. Therefore, they waited breathlessly and prepared for the worst.

Once the gap was large enough, Kieren peered into the hallway beyond to ascertain whether he had accidentally alerted any guards that someone was attempting to exit the area. While scanning the expanse in front of him, he discovered it was devoid of any activity, so he hurried through to the other side and closed the door behind him.

Once the panel was secure, Kieren proceeded down the long corridor, but he took his time so he could scan each adjoining area for danger first, until he finally approached the massive front entrance. Once there, he hesitated momentarily before doing anything else. He didn’t want to merely open the door without doing some sort of investigation first, so he placed his ear against the wooden covering and strained to discern any sounds coming from the other side.

Kieren continued this auditory surveillance for several minutes, since he wanted to be as certain as he could that he wouldn’t attract attention when opening the door, even if no one could see him. Eventually, he deemed it was safe and tugged the door inward. Slowly, he inched past it, until he was standing on the stoop beyond. From this vantage point, Kieren could study the courtyard and observe the placement of the guards.

He instantly noticed there was a small detachment of sentries at the portcullis. It was currently open, but it could instantly be closed to protect the fortress from unwanted visitors or attack. In addition to those warriors, there were more sentries standing along the battlements, several meters above the level he was on. They were busy watching the area outside of the fortress for approaching intruders and any other threats that might be present. However, it didn’t seem as if any of them were looking for intruders who might already be inside the fortress.

Noting their placement, Kieren instantly recognized it would be impossible for his friends and him to escape unnoticed. With that in mind, he moved back inside and returned to the foyer so he could advise the others about what he had discovered. When he opened the door to reenter the area, his companions were prepared to fight, in case it wasn’t him. Seeing this, he became visible again and announced the bad news.

“I’m sorry, but I don’t see a safe way out of here,” the teen explained. “We’d be spotted and surrounded before we got very far.”

“Then what are we going to do?” Garreth asked, incredulously. “We certainly can’t stay here and take the chance of being discovered.”

“I’ve thought about that too,” Kieren responded, “and I have an idea that just might work.” Everyone suddenly leaned toward him, so they could hear every word the young man uttered as he told them about his plan.

“Since everyone believes Madumda is here,” Kieren explained, “I think it would be safe for you to go back to his chambers and hide inside, while I go find Beraut. Once I locate him, then I’ll bring him and the army back here to get you.”

“But what if someone comes looking for my Master while we’re in his rooms?” Jana asked, confused.

“Let’s get something straight,” Kieren shot back quickly. “He’s no longer your master, because he’s been destroyed. Besides that, I would imagine those who might go looking for Madumda would probably be too scared to just barge in on him, especially if he doesn’t respond to their knocking on his door. Just bolt it from the inside and you should be safe until I return.”

“Methinks that might work,” Turquinine concurred.

“I agree. It just might,” Rhys added, “but I don’t like the idea of allowing Kieren to go off on his own again. It will be far too risky with him being alone and there’s always a chance his robe could get snagged on something and make him visible. There are any number of other things that could happen to expose him to view, so I'd prefer we were there to protect him.”

“That's just not possible and I’m willing to take the chance to go this alone,” Kieren announced. “In addition to the sword, I’ll also take Madumda’s staff with me and hide them both under my robe. I can use them to prove to Beraut that I have carried out my assignment, but Madumda's staff might also serve as a deterrent to his warriors if I am somehow discovered.”

“And just how do you figure that?” Sedain challenged.

“First of all, I think anyone who has been in Madumda’s service for very long would immediately recognize his symbol of power, but they'd also realize he would not have given it up without a fight,” Kieren reasoned. “Seeing someone else with it would mean that person must have taken it from their master. I would suspect, if they think I could have done that, then they will also believe I am capable of destroying them as well and therefore be less likely to challenge me. Don’t you agree?”

“It sounds plausible,” Alairic conceded after a lengthy and uncomfortable silence, “but it is still a gamble.”

“This entire mission has been a series of gambles,” Kieren stated, “but this is another risk I’m willing to take. I can always use the medallion if necessary, and I shall return as quickly as I am able, so please stay put and be quiet. I think it might be best for Garreth, Qaim and Jana to stay in Madumda’s bedchamber, along with a couple of you. The remainder should wait in the entrance chamber, so you’re ready to defend yourself should my initial hunch be wrong.”

“Yes, I would agree that would be a wise precaution as well,” Quintain confirmed. “Too much noise, even if it's just the sound of us moving about, might draw attention, so it would be wise for us to split into smaller groups.”

Once everyone agreed to this plan, Turquinine led the others up the staircase and in the direction of Madumda’s private suite. They would wait there until Kieren returned. After he watched them disappear, Kieren slid the sword into his belt and then worked Madumda’s staff under his robe. He then pulled his left arm out of the sleeve, so he could use it to hold the staff. He also pulled the empty sleeve inside the robe, since he wasn’t sure if it might be spotted if it was flapping around. Once he was certain the robe was securely wrapped around him and covered both symbols of power, he was ready to start out. Confidently, he walked down the corridor and briskly moved toward the unguarded exit from the building.

It didn’t take Kieren very long to reach the elaborate archway containing the portal leading outside this time, since he didn’t have to stop and check out the adjoining rooms as he moved past them. However, he was more cautious about opening the door and venturing outside this time. After listening for any noises, he cracked the door open wide enough to allow him to do a quick visual scan of the courtyard beyond, until he deemed it safe to continue. With the utmost caution, he then pulled the door back a little farther and moved through the opening, as he went out on the stoop. Now that he was outside, he pulled the door shut behind him and then turned to scan the area one more time.

After finding nothing more than he’d seen previously, Kieren decided on the path he would take to flee the citadel. As he moved down the short flight of stairs and turned to his left, he was mildly shocked to discover the dangling remains of some poor creature, possibly one of Madumda’s servants. He could see the victim’s arms were still fastened in a set of manacles, which were attached to a large, upright post. The deceased’s carcass, which had been mostly eaten or merely rotted, still had bits of scalp clinging to its skull. It was a disgusting sight and had an enormous impact on the teen.

Kieren managed to maintain his composure and not react in a way that might draw unwanted attention to himself, even though he couldn’t be seen. He figured the sound of him gagging or retching still might bring unwanted attention to his location and give away his position. Although he continued to find this sight extremely disturbing, it also reinforced his need to be cautious, or a similar fate might await him as well.

As Kieren left the area and approached the main gate to the fortress, he stopped to determine how many guards were posted there and how he was going to get by them. After noticing four sentries located just inside the entranceway, he spotted four more standing just outside the gate and then four others about ten meters farther out. He was trying to figure out how to slip past them without being heard, when a commotion arose in the courtyard behind him.

Fearing his companions had been discovered, Kieren whirled around to see what was happening and was stunned by what he discovered. Unbelievably, one of the giant condors was diving into the courtyard and attacking the Dark Lord's warriors and servants. The surprised and terrified victims were now actively trying to avoid being snagged by its sharp and enormous talons. Frantically, they raced about, while seeking out anyplace they might be able to hide and protect themselves from attack.

At first, Kieren was confused about why the condor would be attacking its master’s allies, but he didn't consider this for very long. He thought it would be wiser to concentrate on protecting himself instead. He was mildly afraid that he might accidentally be snatched up, if the creature went to grab someone else who happened to be running near his location at the time. Seeing a cart nearby, Kieren moved toward it and ducked down on the side farthest away from the attacking beast.

Suddenly, another concern crossed his mind and he began to wonder whether the condor possessed enough magical ability to be able to detect him, even when disguised by his special robe. Even though he wasn’t certain about this, Kieren wasn’t willing to chance being discovered, so he hurriedly moved away from the wagon and headed toward the main gate. Kieren was now intent on exiting the fortress, because he figured he might be safer once he was outside of the citadel.

As he approached the opening leading out of Treblanc, Kieren noticed the guards were no longer there. It seemed they had raced inside after they first heard the commotion. After they realized what was going on, they went to assist their comrades in battling this monstrous creature. This, in turn, gave Kieren the opportunity he needed to escape.

Without hesitation, he slipped through the unguarded opening and started making his way along the rough pathway leading away from Treblanc. Although it had once been a wide and easy to travel roadway, the years of neglect had taken its toll, so it was currently only a narrow and pock ridden trail. This meant Kieren had to watch his step to ensure he wouldn’t stumble or sprain an ankle. Cautiously, he began moving away from the fortress and it began to grow smaller and smaller in his wake. However, Kieren knew he still had several leagues to travel before he would arrive at his destination and finally be able to locate the wizard.

Kieren continued to trudge forward and had just reached the point where he could no longer see Treblanc behind him, when he began to notice a collection of dark-clad warriors moving in his direction. The young man assumed these were Madumda’s officers returning from battle and going to the fortress so they could report to their master. Since he wished to avoid running into them and being detected, Kieren carefully moved way off to one side and got as far out of their way as he could.

Kieren continued moving forward though, because he knew he had to find Beraut and get him to Treblanc quickly. He was fearful that Madumda’s warriors would be looking for him, so they might eventually discover his companions hiding in the Dark Lord’s suite of rooms. For this reason, the young man didn’t wish to allow them enough time for something like that to happen.

With a new sense of urgency, Kieren hurried on and hoped to find his mentor as quickly as possible. Before he reached him, however, the lad passed by another dozen or so military leaders going the other way. Kieren was suddenly tempted to run and speed up the process of finding the wizard, but then he quickly realized it would be reckless and foolhardy. While doing that he could fall and injure himself on this undulating terrain, but there was also a chance the noise he made in the process might alert the others to someone else being there. Since he didn’t wish to accidentally disclose his whereabouts to any of the Dark Lord’s spies or cohorts that were nearby, he resisted the urge to run. Even though he wanted to get this over with as quickly as he could, he chose to use a more cautious approach and traveled only as rapidly as he deemed prudent.

After passing another group of black-clad troopers, Kieren spied a much larger contingent moving toward him. They were quite a ways behind the latest collection of the Dark Lord’s henchmen, but after carefully studying their ranks, Kieren noticed there was something different about this new group. It was obvious they weren’t dressed in the same manner as the others he had seen, because none of them were wearing black. They were clad only in common battle attire, such as he had seen during his visit to Leander. This made him wonder if they were members of the Tarolian army and merely pursuing the enemy. As he scanned their lines more carefully, Kieren noticed something else. He spotted the wizard mounted upon a noble steed in the center of the front ranks.

Kieren’s heart suddenly leaped into his throat and his spirit soared, now that he recognized his mentor. Dropping any pretense of being careful, Kieren raced in their direction and only stopped when he was about twenty meters in front of them. At that moment, he suddenly lowered the hood of his travel robe and eagerly disclosed his presence. This action startled those approaching his position, because they were uncertain about how they should respond. Seeking direction, they turned toward the wizard and sought his advice, but he just looked past them and smiled in response. Then, they watched as Beraut spurred his mount forward and headed in the direction of the stranger.

Within seconds, the aged wizard reached the lad’s location and unexpectedly leaped from his steed. He did this even before his horse had an opportunity to come to a complete halt. Without hesitation, Beraut raced the final few paces to reach Kieren and eagerly wrapped his arms around the teen. Then, he lifted the young man completely off the ground and started to swing him around in a circle.

Feel free to let me know what you think. If you like this, hit the like button at the bottom too.
Copyright © 2016 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

'in case it wasn’t him'. Okay, final rant--once again wrong pronoun. 'Him' is in the objective case and cannot be used with a 'to be' verb as that would require a pronoun in the nominative case. The correct sentence would be: 'in case it wasn't he'.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..