Jump to content
    BWCTwriter
  • Author
  • 2,974 Words
  • 948 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Day The Tables Turned - 4. Chapter 4

The Day the Tables Turned

By BWCTwriter

Part Four

 

I waited. I waited for the forceful shove of Kyle’s hand toward my chest. I waited for the painful stab of the razor-sharp blade as it pierced and dug through each layer of skin and muscle until it finally reached my heart. I waited still to feel my warm blood as it gushed forth from my heart. I waited for my thoughts to fade from my mind, my senses to dull and decrease to nothing as the blood was unable to reach my brain.

I waited, but the moment did not come. I opened my eyes slowly to find a terrified Kyle staring down at me. It was a look I’d never seen in his eyes. His true eyes. He, the bully who once found nothing wrong with assaulting and humiliating me, stood before me in utter confusion, sorrow, and disgust- of himself.

He dropped the knife into the dirt, and the blade stuck in at a slight angle. With very sorrowful eyes, he reached a shaky hand down to help me up and effortlessly pulled me to my feet.

“Fenton, I’m,” he started, but was at a loss for words. That made two of us. With a very shameful expression, he dusted off my shirt, straightened my rumpled clothes and squeezed my shoulder. It was the first act of kindness he’d shown me in years.

Kyle’s cronies looked on in confusion. Chad piped up. “What are you doin’, man? Kick his ass!”

“No!” Kyle exclaimed. “He’s had enough.”

Apparently the answer didn’t satisfy him, because Chad’s face contorted in anger and he replied in defiance, “Forget you then. I’ll do it myself.”

Chad grabbed the knife and made a move toward me. I gasped and covered my chest with my arms, but I had nothing to worry about. Kyle put himself squarely between Chad and me.

Chad halted his movement and gave Kyle a piercing stare. He was angry at his friend’s sudden change of heart, but I wasn’t quite sure how willing Chad would be to back down at his friend’s insistence.

They glared daggers at each other for a few moments until Chad, in an angry huff, stabbed at Kyle, but he easily blocked Chad’s arm, and with a punch to the gut, sent him sprawling to the ground.

“If you touch him again,” Kyle warned, “you will be the one with the knife in your chest. Got it?”

Chad’s eyes, for the first time I’d ever seen them, were full of sheer terror. He’d had an easy time being the sidekick to the strongest of the underclassmen. He had no tougher friends than Kyle. There was no way he’d be able to take Kyle, and he knew it.

“Fuck this!” Chad huffed as he stood up. “Come on guys, let’s get out of here.” The rest of Kyle’s friends followed Chad as he stomped away, each giving Kyle a dirty look that didn’t faze him in the slightest. He stood stone faced, arms up and ready to fight if either of us was threatened.

The crowd that gathered to watch the fight thinned out as well. Some smiled, happy that no real damage was done. Others were disappointed at the unexpected conclusion of “the show.” Some of them patted me and Kyle on the shoulder, impressed that Kyle had the strength to take the high road, rather than sealing our fates by taking my life.

Kyle looked back at me with the most sorrowful expression I’d ever seen, and stuttered an apology. “I’m…. I’m really sorry, man.”

I smiled shyly. “I think what you just did for me pretty much said it all. Thanks.” I paused for a moment to reflect on the time I spent living in Kyle’s life. “Sorry about ‘returning the favor,’” I added. I despised myself for what I’d sunk to.

“Don’t be,” Kyle admonished, “I had it coming. Look Fenton, don’t worry about them harassing you anymore. I’ve got your back from now on.”

I smiled. It was the first time he used my name without following it with an insult.

“Thanks, Kyle,” I responded.

Kyle offered his hand and we shook. In the back of my mind, I wondered if this “truce” was a part of some grand scheme to get close to me and then kick my ass when I least expected it. I hoped, though, that I was just not used to feeling safe, so I worried more than I needed to.

That day, we realized that each of us disliked the depths we sunk to in order to be popular and cool. Sure, “Kyle” was cool, but what he did to get there was anything but.

After our transformation, I decided that being myself and treating others with respect was far better than doing what it took to be “cool.” I could live without a gang of despicable characters surrounding me, worshipping the ground I walked on. I wanted more. I wanted real friends. I wanted self-respect; to hell with everything else.

* * * * *

Kyle and I parted ways that day, having gained a new level of respect for each other; one we may never had been able to grasp, had it not been for The Change. I respected him for taking the high road for once, and he respected me for showing him some mercy.

The Day the Tables Turned was an eye opening experience for the both of us. I never imagined just how tormented bullies could be. But then, most people weren’t born angry, they’d learned it through some tragic events in their past.

I was mostly surprised at how easily I forgot all I was taught about treating others with respect when I was given the upper hand. My parents always told me to treat others as I’d treat myself. I’d proven to myself that everything they ever said about why people hurt others, and why it was better to show respect to everyone, rather than hate. Life is too short to waste hating other people. I’d rather spend it feeling good than feeling powerful.

It’s amazing how quickly your thoughts and actions can change when you walk a mile in someone else’s shoes. I walked that mile in Kyle’s shoes, and finally, I knew just how lucky I was to be where I was in the world. I think Kyle learned that too. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have a breath left in my body. Kyle surely would have killed me that day, if he stayed true to his violent nature. Thanks to a simple twist of fate, we’ll never have to wonder what could have been.

* * * * *

It’s a wonderful thing, not having to dread getting up in the morning. For the first time in four years, I was able to get out of bed, take a shower, eat breakfast, and walk to school without worrying about what awaited me at school.

I didn’t look over my shoulder as I walked through the hallways that day, like I used to. I didn’t have to be afraid of answering my teacher’s questions for fear of being ridiculed. I changed for swimming in gym class with confidence, because I knew I would be safe in the locker room. Finally, after years of being shut off from the world, I began enjoying my life as it was meant to be. I opened my eyes and began to rediscover the many joys of my life that I’d almost forgotten about.

People looked at me strangely on that which was the first day of my new life. A new boy walked the halls that day; one that stood taller, smiled broader, laughed louder, and walked with as much confidence as the popular kids. That new boy was me.

“Hey, Fenton,” one of the preppy kids greeted as I passed him in the halls.

“Yo, Fent’,” another shouted as he walked by.

Every acknowledgement empowered me with more self-confidence as I went through my day. I started hanging out with some of the science club kids during lunch. I’d decided to start taking greater interest in my classes. I began thinking beyond the moment, beyond my next physical confrontation, and onto more important things.

Every moment of the day was amazing. The air smelled fresher, food tasted better, the sounds of the hustle and bustle of life were more melodic. The sensation of the wind on my face felt as though my Creator reached down from the heavens and brought down a piece of paradise for me to keep with me on Earth. The first day of the rest of my life was one I will always remember.

I wasn’t the only one who’d undergone a transformation, either. On that day, and on days that followed, Kyle stopped hanging out with his pot-smoking friends, and seemed to me like he was taking a greater interest in his classes than he previously had.

Even Kyle seemed to have achieved a new level of self-confidence, one that came from knowing he could do good with the strength he possessed, not just evil. He even became somewhat of a guardian for the smaller and younger guys in the school.

If some of his old friends started giving me, or anyone else, a hard time, he’d step in and neutralize the situation. He didn’t have to kick ass to do it, either. All it took sometimes was a “friendly reminder” to the trouble-doers of who was at their victims’ backs. It would have been nice if they all could learn the value of the golden rule, but at least we’d have some protection until they did.

If I hadn’t known what caused his change in attitude, I would have thought he was some alien clone or something. That’s pretty much what everyone else thought.

I guess having caring parents for a change gave Kyle a taste of what it feels like to be loved and appreciated, because not two days after our “fight,” Kyle had his father arrested for child abuse, and Child Protective Services placed him in a foster home. He was lucky. His foster parents were loving, caring people who gave Kyle the attention he needed. Not everyone in his situation is as fortunate as he.

His road to recovery from the abuse he suffered at the hands of his father was a long one, but I could see the light in his eyes brighten with each passing day. His foster parents took him to counseling sessions every week, and with a lot of effort, I’m sure, he began to shed the pain and torment of his past family life.

Kyle and I even started hanging out at school. He came up to me one day and asked for some help studying for an upcoming math test, and our friendship grew from there. His grades began to improve with my assistance, and people finally stopped seeing him as a goof-off. He even expressed interest in being in law enforcement once he graduated high school. His enthusiasm impressed me. It was something I never thought I’d see.

*

I was floating on air as I returned home later that day. Being happy was an amazing feeling I hadn’t experienced in a long time. I prayed that I’d be able to stay happy and maintain my confidence level every day, even on days that would likely not be all roses and honey. With an attitude like I had then, I felt as though I could conquer anything that came along.

My mother noticed my unusually jubilant attitude as I skipped down the hall after school and asked me what was up.

“Hi, honey,” she greeted. “Why so happy all of a sudden?”

I smiled shyly and replied, “I just…. had a really good day,” then gave my mother a hug and scampered off to my room. My mother looked at me like I had two heads! It was hilarious!

If I was anyone else listening in on that small conversation, I might find it odd that my mother asked me the question as if being happy was something that needed explaining about. I suppose it did though, because “sad and depressed” had become my norm for so long that any change would certainly pique her interest.

My parents were pleasantly surprised to hear my enthusiastic description of the great day I had as we ate dinner that night. They smiled as I talked about what we did in science club after school. They were overjoyed to hear that I’d gotten an “A” on my latest math test, a subject I used to put less effort into.

Their eyes lit up when I told them I’d been invited to a pool party the following weekend by a few of my friends. It was the first time in a long time that I didn’t have to lie to my parents about how my day went.

After dinner, I hugged my parents and headed up to my bedroom. I turned on some good music, dug through my backpack and took out my books, and sat at my desk to complete the day’s assignments.

Midway through my homework assignment, there was a soft knock on the door. I put my pencil down and focused on the door.

Yes?”

“Can I come in, sweetie?” My mother asked.

“Okay,” I replied coolly, then turned my attention back to my work. She slowly opened the door and strolled in, watching me diligently checking my algebra homework over. After a moment, I expected her to say something, but she did not. I looked over my shoulder, and she stood smiling at me. There was a look of happiness I hadn’t seen in her eyes since before I started high school.

I looked at her questioningly. “Did you want to ask me something?”

She sighed happily and replied, “No, honey.” She walked up to me and put her hand on my cheek. She looked deeply into my eyes, which opened into the newly born star that was my soul. “I just wanted to say hi to someone I haven’t seen in a long time. I love you, son.”

I smiled, rose from my chair, and hugged my mother tightly. She was right. Her “Honey” had finally returned, and was here to stay.

* * * * *

After I’d completed the work, packed up my books and straightened my desk. I took one last look at the clear, starlit sky, hoping to take a bit of it with me into my slumber.

I undressed, lie in bed, and let the soothing beat of the music surround me. Listening to music was such a wonderful experience. When I was engulfed in its harmonic melodies, I felt as though my soul left my body, floated up to the clouds and danced in rhythm with the universe. I fell asleep quickly and slept well that night; not one negative thought intruding into my dreams. Life was good.

No, life was amazing.

The End

 

* * * * *

Well, I hoped you liked this little fantastical exploration into the reality that was my life, and my eventual acceptance of my place in the social order I came to understand many years later. Now, I realize that some of this (even though it is a fantasy) is rather unbelievable, such as the fact that suddenly, over night, Fenton had gone from being a victim of bullies to a semi-popular kid, but I felt that the the best way to contrast the beginning of the story would be to basically replay a day in the life of Fenton with his newfound attitude, self-respect, and outlook on life. I tried to also give a glimpse of what the rest of his days were like, but I personally found the original ending, which this basically is, to truly capture the essence of what a new level of self-confidence and self-respect can do to a person, even overnight. I know this is indeed possible, because I experienced an event very similar to it one day about two years ago. I literally told myself, "all that shit just doesn't matter anymore. It was so overpowering to lift the burden of my past off my shoulders that I cried tears of relief for over an hour. Believe me, the power of forgiveness, both of those who've done wrong to you, and of yourself, is the greatest gift one can give.

This story, as was Gone From Darkness, was sort of a "cleansing" experience for me, in that it helped me let go of a lot of those old feelings of pain and anger over my past. Anger, I've come to realize, is an emotion which can do virtually no good when you let it into your heart, and I encourage anyone who finds themselves hating, whether you hate yourself or someone else, to just let it go..... It's easier than you may think, and it's very therapeutic for the mind, body, and soul. Sometimes, it's as simple as saying "I'm giving myself permission to let my anger towards a certain person go." Since they probably don't feel bad about what they did to you in the past, why should you?

We're only on this earth for a limited amount of time, so we might as well spend it being happy, rather than angry, regretful, or depressed. If you find yourself having problems with these types of things, I urge you to find someone to help, and begin the process of letting go of the past, so that you may focus on the present, and plan for the future, with a lighter heart and a stronger spirit.

--BWCTwriter

Please feel free to send any comments Here!

 

Copyright © 2011 BWCTwriter; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..