Jump to content
    Cia
    • Signature Author
  • 2,468 Words
  • 2,968 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Cataclysmic Evolution - 4. Chapter 4

Chapter Four

None of them were issued new quadrants the next day. They all got a new group assignment.

And no answers.

Barron spent two days tracking down every bit of metal that could be scrapped and piling it into a huge trailer. The soldiers took over the body detail. He felt almost guilty at the surge of relief when he found out he didn’t need to dig any more graves and watch dirt cover people he’d known for most of his life. He needed a break from the new reality; they all did.

The only teenager not scrapping metal was the new kid. Barron had forgotten all about him until he showed up… in a uniform. His long hair was fastened at his neck. He ran around doing things for the soldiers; most of them treated him like a kid brother.

It made sense when Revi ran after an older man, yelling, “Dad!”

He was a military brat. Barron never would’ve figured it, not with the hair and bracelets. Barron had too much to do, and was far too exhausted, to worry about one random guy he barely had time to notice. Maybe before he would’ve continued to go out of his way to give Revi a hard time, but Barron had far too much to do trying to survive to indulge in petty animosity toward the girly boy.

Dawn on the third day brought a whole new ballgame. Two girls had tried to go out and burned right through their UV coverings. All their sunblock measures, and they didn’t protect them for even a minute.

“I’m telling you, our ozone is gone. That’s the only thing that can explain all this!” Thavin kicked his backpack. “I just can’t figure out why. I’ve read twenty books, all with different possible originating events. What I wouldn’t give for even a basic reader right now.”

Barron twisted around on his cot and balled his pillow up under his head. “What kinda things?”

“Global warming—that was a big thing like eighty years ago, apparently—but it’s not a problem now, with the new air scrubbers. Massive volcano eruption, except there’d have been some sign of it beforehand, I figure. Chemical bombs seeding the upper stratosphere to ruin the chemical balance—”

“Could that have caused the sickness?” William asked.

“I don’t know. Nothing seems to fit.”

His frustration was palpable. Thavin was the smart one, the one who’d been going to college on a full blown academic scholarship on a fast track doctorate program. But he was operating outside of everything they’d ever known. Long before they’d entered school, paper books were replaced by readers, and online libraries were searchable with a flick of the eye.

“What do you think’s gonna happen now?” Creed asked. He’d grown very quiet and barely spoke after his last shift. He asked the question they were all thinking, though. They couldn’t go find scrap metal during the day. The bodies were all buried.

William, Thavin, and Creed all watched him, like he still had all the answers. Barron didn’t know shit about what was going on.

“Mr. Hodge, Harvey, and the military guys have been pretty tight for days now. Something’s going on. They just aren’t telling us shit. You hear anything, William?”

The normally chatty teen shook his head. “Harvey told me to stay here. I might as well not have a brother still living,” he said bitterly.

“Hey.” Barron swung his legs over the edge of his cot and sat up. He reached for William, tugging on his shoulder to avoid his still tender neck. “You still have him. He’s trying to keep us all alive, whatever that takes. You know he loves you.”

William shrugged.

“Besides, you have us.” Barron squeezed his friend’s shoulder. “It doesn’t matter what else happens, we’ll face it together, all four of us. Just like we always have.”

“Yeah.” Creed crouched between Barron and William’s cots, and Thavin leaned sideways and bumped William’s other shoulder. For a second they were all touching, communicating without saying a word.

Their little bromance knot broke up, not because someone noticed them, but because no one was looking at them, no one at all.

Mr. Hodge stood behind the guy Revi had run after. Harvey stood beside him. There was a line of military grunts behind them.

“What’s going on?” Creed asked.

Barron shook his head. “Dunno.”

“Can we have your attention?” The adults in the room moved forward but most of the teens stayed where they were, grouped with their friends.

“My name is Lieutenant Colonel Porter. I was stationed at the Markez base three hundred miles west of here. I’m sure everyone has questions, but I have few answers. The base was working on establishing communication outside the area, but we were sent out prior to that being accomplished.

“We do know every town was hit the same way. Whatever the event was that claimed the lives of so many, and damaged the basic infrastructure of our country, seems to be widespread. Our climate has been affected. Going out during the daylight hours is no longer feasible. I’m afraid there’s nothing more we can do for those who haven’t already been saved. It’s been too long, and if they haven’t been protected from the sun by now—they’re dead.”

Scattered protests came from the small group of adults. He said what no one wanted to admit.

The colonel overrode them. “I know this is hard, but we must be pragmatic in these times. We need the metal and other circuitry. I have my orders to retrieve these materials, and assist as many survivors as possible to relocate to Markez base.”

“What if we don’t want to go?” Mr. Vass used to run the bowling alley. He’d been down in the ball return area under the lanes when the power went out. He’d gotten stuck down there when the electronic lock froze. “My family has lived here since the turn of the century.”

Mr. Hodge stepped forward. “What kind of life will you have here? Something has gone seriously wrong in the world. We can’t hide from that and pretend life goes on as usual.”

A woman from the middle of the group spoke up. “I buried my husband and my sons.” Her voice broke, but she went on. “How does anyone hide from that?”

“I’m not saying anyone is ignoring their loss.” Mr. Hodge took a deep breath. “But what Harvey and I haven’t been telling everyone is big.”

The kids began whispering.

“I knew it!” Thavin said.

“Shh.” Barron hushed him. He wanted to hear.

“Fresh water stores are running out. The reclamation plant is shut down, and there’s about a week’s supply of dry rations. We won’t survive here on our own. We’re not equipped. They are at the base. No one will be forced to go… but if you stay, you’ll probably die.”

Silence fell over the gym. Mr. Vass slumped down in his chair, covering his face. His shoulders shook. A woman began to cry and another hushed her, rubbing her back.

The twins, Abbe and Hazea, clung to each other.

Barron couldn’t believe things were that bad, and yet they hadn’t told anyone. What right did they have to hide the truth from people?

“When are they leaving?” Barron had stood up and spoken before he even realized he was going to. “How long do we have to decide?”

“We were leaving tomorrow morning, but the situation with the sun has complicated matters. We have to go back tonight.”

“So… hours. You expect everyone to pack up and move their entire lives… in a few hours?”

“We can spare two hours after sundown when it’ll be safe to leave the school to gather up any stragglers not here. After that, we’ll move out and head back to Markez. I know this is hard”—Lt. Colonel Porter looked grim—“but other towns have faced this same decision.”

“We have three buses available. We have to limit everyone to one bag. Harvey will help ferry people out to their homes in the outlying areas in the buses to gather any belongings they haven’t already packed.”

Barron sank down on his cot. He already had everything he needed, but…

“We’re going to go, aren’t we?” Creed asked. He looked scared.

“I don’t plan to die in this town.” Barron sat up straight. “I don’t know what’s going to happen to us, but we can’t stay here.”

“I gotta talk to my sister.” Thavin twisted his hands together. “She’s not here. We can’t leave without her.”

“They won’t bail on anyone,” William assured him. “You need to calm down. You heard Mr. Hodge. He and Harvey will help everyone after dark. We’ll get her. I’ll go with you. I have a bag already packed.”

“Did you know this was going to happen?” Creed glared at William. “And you didn’t tell us?”

“No!” William protested. “I just… I got what I needed before. I didn’t want to go back home more than once.”

“You know he would’ve told us if he knew, Creed.” Barron shook his head. “I have all my stuff, too.”

Hushed arguments broke out all over the gym. Barron sipped his bottle of water over dinner, conscious now of how precarious their society really was.

“Mr. Hodge?” Barron went up to the beleaguered teacher when he finally spied the man alone—probably for the first time since the announcement.

“Yes, Barron?” Mr. Hodge sounded weary. He rubbed his forehead.

“I don’t need to go back to my place. I thought, if the people watching over the nursery kids needed to go, I could stay with the little kids.”

Mr. Hodge eyed him. “You’re sure?”

He nodded. “I am. I don’t know if anyone checked, but I packed some mementos for Marya, the little girl I found, too. I don’t know about the other kids, but I made sure she had some stuff that was her mom’s.”

Barron blinked when Mr. Hodge rested a hand on his shoulder. “You’re a good guy, Barron. I know you haven’t always acted like one, but I always knew inside you cared for people, other than your friends.”

That was corny. Barron felt his face flush. “It was common sense,” he protested. “She won’t remember her—I didn’t want her to grow up without something.” He might not have the best memories of his parents, but he had them. Barron knew exactly where he came from and who his family had been. He couldn’t imagine growing up without that comfort. He’d never tell anyone, but his heart ached for Marya.

She was innocent.

“Well I’m glad you volunteered because Jenn does need someone to take over for her tonight. The little ones should be asleep soon, but if you can just make sure they stay in the kindergarten room and don’t go wandering off if they wake up, I’d appreciate it.”

“I can do that.”

Barron told the guys he was going to stay at the school, and headed to the makeshift nursery. Jenn, a woman he didn’t know very well who’d worked at the post office, was waiting inside the open doorway.

“They’re all asleep,” she whispered. “But Marya and Polluck might wake up to go to the bathroom. Just help them out the best you can, okay?”

“Got it.” Barron had never helped a little kid go to the bathroom. He wasn’t really sure he would know what to do, but it couldn’t be that difficult. He’d been a little boy once.

It was dark in the kindergarten room. The only light came in the windows from the moon over the trees. Barron sat in one of the tiny plastic chairs and leaned his head against the wall.

How in the hell had the world come to this?

This was not supposed to be his life.

“Gotta go pee.” The high, piping voice coming out of the dark startled him.

“Ow.” Barron rubbed the back of his head. A little kid was standing in front of him when he opened his eyes.

“I need the potty.”

“Marya?”

“Now,” she whined. There was a little light in the bathroom. Barron flicked it on and the cold, white light made more shadows than anything else, but it was enough to make out the toilet. “I need help.”

Marya pushed down her pants, but needed help getting on the toilet. Barron’s face felt like it was on fire when he lifted the little girl and helped her balance when she swayed sleepily. She held up her free hand. “Tissue, please.”

Barron passed her a small handful.

“All done?” Barron lifted her off the toilet and steadied her when she nodded. She pulled up her own PJ pants, thankfully. “Back to bed, okay?”

“I want Mama to kiss night.” Marya looked up at him, like he could make that happen.

“I’m so sorry, sweetie. I can’t get your momma.” Her lip wobbled, and Barron’s heart broke. He swooped her up and squeezed her tight. Her little body was so light in his arms, so tiny. He was an adult and had the ability to at least understand what was going on… if only they knew, but what about her?

Damn it. His throat burned, and he couldn’t speak. She laid her head down on his shoulder and wrapped one arm loosely around his neck. Barron rocked Marya until her little sniffles faded and her body went heavy against him.

He put her back to bed and sat back down in the little chair. He buried his head in his hands and fought off the fear and anger swamping him. It wasn’t fair—not for any of them. His dad’s voice still floated in his head, demanding to know when he was ever promised life would be fair. Barron clutched the short strands of his hair and tugged. The pain helped block out the voice in his head, but for how long?

When Jenn came back, she had a few more adults with her to move the kids. Barron went back to his cot and grabbed his packed bag, ready to go on his cot. One by one they filed out of the gym for the last time. They’d sat around all day, but the stress of leaving for the unknown pressed down on all of them.

No one on the buses spoke. Barron found himself at the back, his friends around him, once again. This time they weren’t heading for any cave. And they wouldn’t be coming back.

Watching the streets fall behind them was the last thing Barron wanted to do. He closed his eyes and rested his head against the seat.

Tomorrow was a brand new day.

Copyright © 2014 Cia; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 20
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I had wondered back in chapter three if the dried out and crumbling rose was a portent of something more dire in the making. It seems that it may have been what with the discovery of the ozone having been depleted. Barron is shaping up to being a young man with some depth to him. That's a nice progression to see.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 12/04/2014 07:15 AM, Ron said:
I had wondered back in chapter three if the dried out and crumbling rose was a portent of something more dire in the making. It seems that it may have been what with the discovery of the ozone having been depleted. Barron is shaping up to being a young man with some depth to him. That's a nice progression to see.
He was rather unlikable to start with, right? LOL A case of the main character going from someone you dislike to someone who can capture you and make you like them anyway. Hopefully you'll continue to feel that way about him. Thanks for the review again, Ron!
Link to comment

This is getting really good now, very emotional. Shows how (as is well known?) kids can be very grown-up when they need to be.

Link to comment
  • Site Administrator
On 07/09/2015 06:38 AM, Tiggs said:

This is getting really good now, very emotional. Shows how (as is well known?) kids can be very grown-up when they need to be.

I moved out of my family's house at 17 and was married at 19. I know some teens are fully capable of making good choices and being responsible when life hands them situations they have to man up for!

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..