Jump to content
    clumber
  • Author
  • 664 Words
  • 526 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Martin's Flash Fiction - 3. Chapter 3 - An Author's Struggle

Sometimes when a person writes they feel their characters have a life of their own...

I sit, stare and touch pen to paper...

...and suddenly I am racing through blackness, the void of a world yet to be created. The power to create at will flows through me, and I sigh. First, a world is written. It is very much like ours, except smaller and a bit fuzzier around the edges. Detail is irrelevant. Moving in closer, a town is written, followed by two people. Young adults, students probably. I think for a moment and then one becomes short, thin and slightly effeminate whilst the other becomes tall and strong. They both look blank for a moment, before turning to each other as the tall one begins to speak.

“Hello, you must be the new kid at college. I hope we can be good friends”.

“Yes, me too” says Chris, the short one, before frowning for a moment. “Actually, wait a second... no offense but you really don’t look like you have the same interests as me.”

“No, you’re right....ummm...” the tall one frowns for a moment before looking up at me. “Hey! You! Mr. Creator man. You aren’t trying to fix us up here are you?”

This was unexpected, to say the least. I inform the tall one that I’ll do whatever I bloody well want with them. It’s my story.

“Oh I see”, mutters Chris, sarcastically, “I’m the new kid in college. As such, this guy will help me find my bearings and we’ll fall deeply in love. That’ll then probably be followed by twenty-seven chapters worth of increasingly tangential storylines which merely provide a backdrop for us to fuck like rabbits. I know what type of story you’re trying to write here and I’m telling you right now, I’m not having any part of it.”

“Yeah,” chips in the tall guy, “Call yourself a writer? I don’t even have a name!”

My pen touches to paper once more, this time a bit irritably. The short guy is now named Robert and he better be satisfied. Honestly, I don’t know why I bother. I give them life and they can’t even show a bit of thanks.

“What have we to be thankful for?” shouts Robert into the sky, “I mean? Robert?! Oh yeah, I bet you were up all night thinking about that one. I assume my parents are nameless as well. I certainly don’t know what they’re called.”

I rapidly write into existence Robert’s parents, who are called Bob and...ummm...Bobette. Probably. Does it really matter?

“Does it matter?” asks Chris. “They're his parents and you can’t even be arsed thinking up a name for them. No, sod you. Buggered if I’m following your sordid little plot. Besides, I don’t even think I’m gay”.

“Are you not?” asks Robert, looking over in surprise. “Oh well, fair enough. To be honest you wouldn’t really have been my type anyway. It probably wouldn’t have crossed my mind if that prick in the sky hadn’t made it.”

By this point it is fair to say that I’m getting really annoyed at Chris. Of course he’s gay. He’s the slightly effeminate one who’ll probably get bullied at one point, but it’ll all be fine in the end. Robert’ll romantically save him or something.

“Oh that’s just great, isn’t it!” Chris shouts out. “You just think that if I’m a bit...well...ok, a bit camp...that it means I’m gay! Well, for your information I’m not!”

I give out an exasperated sigh. You know what, you two? I give up. If you’re going to be so bloody awkward then I’m not even going to bother. I quickly write into existence a huge cloud of meteors and then fling them into the planet, completely disintegrating it...

“...Crying out loud”, I mutter, “That’s the seventh time this week the characters have rebelled against the plot. I wonder if this is what writers mean when they say that a story was ‘too awkward to continue’ and stuff like that.”

Copyright © 2011 clumber; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..