Jump to content
Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×
  • Join Gay Authors

    Join us for free and follow your favorite authors and stories.

    clumber
  • Author
  • 610 Words
  • 488 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Martin's Flash Fiction - 4. Chapter 4 - Buy your Life, Sell your Soul

When confronted with his final fate, a man must make the biggest decision of all.

Terry was in a hurry. It had already been ‘one of those days’ and he hadn’t even gotten to work yet. Running down the street he got to the main road and immediately started sprinting across it. Suddenly, a loud beeping noise filled his ears and he turned his head to see a Smart Car mere feet away from him. The world seemed to slow down as he closed his eyes, expecting the impact...

...but it never came. Opening his eyes, the world seemed to have frozen with the car still just about to hit him.

Greetings, Mortal.”

Terry spun around on the spot- in front of him was a tall figure, hidden under a large black hood. In one hand the figure was holding a large scythe, the other was held out towards him.

“Who the hell are you? Wait...are you Him... you know, the Grim Reaper?”

The figure looked down at its robe, then up at its scythe, before returning its hidden gaze to Terry.

Clearly a member of the Observation Corps... pun not intended,” It remarked. Terry frowned at the figure. As much as a black hole into the void, it frowned back.

“Ok, so now what?”

That is the interesting bit. You do not have to die now. There is a way to continue. However... it will be costly.

“I can be saved?” said Terry, his face slowly lighting up. “I can avoid getting hit by that car?”

Avoid the car, yes. Saved? I wouldn’t go that far. It really is quite simple- to buy your life, you must sell your soul.” The figure stood there, steady as a rock, only the slightest of movement as small bits of the cloak swayed in an unknown breeze. Terry stared back. He wasn’t sure. This was.... not right. He could instinctively feel that this price...this was high. This was the highest price you could ever pay for something. However.... he would avoid the car. The temptation was strong. He could avoid this fate. Yes, it’ll cost him.... but he can pay fate when the time comes. Right here, right now, the car was the only thing that mattered. He could avoid it.

“I’ll do it.” He said, looking at the car, then back at the Reaper. “I’ll take the offer.”

So be it”, said the Reaper, and he swept his arm in a wide arc. The cloak flowed out behind it, spreading outwards, stretching out to fill the entire world in an all-consuming, rustling blackness.

Terry felt a sudden hollow feeling deep inside him and his sight returned. The Reaper was gone and the car was once again bearing down on him. However, the world seemed to be in slow motion.. Terry looked around, taking in all of his surroundings as the car inched closer... he leapt to the side, throwing himself through the air as the Smart Car swept by, missing him by mere inches. Terry looked up just in time to see the Rolls-Royce smash into his chest, shattering him. The world turned grey once again.

You again?” said the Reaper, looking down at Terry. This time the world was seemingly still moving on around them. Grey shadows flitted to and fro as the cars stopped and people panicked. “You sold your actual soul and then jumped into the path of another car? Surely you must have seen it coming!

“Of course I saw it coming,” said Terry, indignantly.

“Then why did you jump in front of it? It makes no sense.”

“Do you really think I’m going to let myself be killed by a Smart Car? I’d never live it down!”

Copyright © 2011 clumber; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..