Jump to content
    comicfan
  • Author
  • 7,052 Words
  • 1,138 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Heart's Desire - 1. Chapter 1

Marna fights against a system that determines who she shall marry and have a child with. Instead she fights the establishment for a chance at love. What happens when she finds two men who seem to fit what she desires?

Marna stood before the council and waited. She knew what she requested was unheard of, but because of her position as the daughter of one of the high council and the daughter of a cleric she wouldn’t be ignored. She stood proudly in the center of the chamber and waited for a decision to be made.

When the time came it was Councilor Lorna who stood to address her.

“Citizen Marna, we on the council have never faced such a request before. Always we have chosen our mates from those genetically marked as appropriate for us. This has happened since the great fall hundreds of years ago. We grow stronger and there is little in the way of issues when it comes to health any more. The problems of the past have simply been bred out of us.”

Marna listened as the councilor stated what she already knew. She wanted to walk up and shake her but knew it would only doom her cause. What she was asking for would change the way the world now acted. She knew that there were members on the council, her own mother among them, who were married to someone, deemed genetically desirable, but had fallen for someone else. She was tired of living in such a scripted way. She wanted to be free of it.

“You ask to be free to choose whomever you want to, regardless of genetic compatibility. Is this true?”

“Yes. I wish to be free of the restraints that have been placed on us by the monitor. I don’t wish to be told who I can pick from but want to be able to choose anyone I desire.”

“We suspected as much,” Councilor Lorna muttered. She shook her long hair and glanced at the rest of the council.

Marna would not turn to look. She knew if she did she would see her own mother who had begged her not to do this. Marna had carefully studied all the procedures and followed them to the letter. As long as she continued to hold her tongue and not break down they would be unable to find fault with her request.

Councilor Argos stood up. He was old and very set in his ways. Marna knew his would be the next seat to open with his passing beyond the curtain of life. He walked on unsteady feet to the podium and faced Marna.

“Girl, you ask for much, but now I ask something of you!”

Marna’s eyes narrowed. Argos never negotiated. Something was afoot here.

“What is it you wish to ask of me then, Councilor Argos?”

“Do you wish to see the three choices that are your mate genetically?”

Every fiber of her being screamed that this was a trap, but she also knew if she said no she would always wonder who might have been chosen for her. However before she could force herself to speak another voice was raised up from platform where the councilors sat.

“Councilor Argos there will be no tricks or cruelty played here. By right of the council I state that you now freely show the choices to Citizen Marna. This is to be done without any further obligations by the citizen. Do I have a second on this?”

Without even looking she knew the voice belonged to Councilor Diaa, her mother.

“Seconded,” stated Councilor Lorna from her position near the podium.

Argos looked angrily at Lorna and then turned to focus on Marna.

“So be it. Computer present matches for Citizen Marna, child of Diaa and Patron.”

Before Marna an image formed of a youth barely into his final maturation. He was too young to truly say he could be considered for at least three or more years yet. An image formed slowly behind the first, this second one was vastly different than the first. Here a woman appeared, full bodied and muscled. Marna had never seen anyone like this before, but again she was much older than Marna and not what Marna wanted in a mate. The third showed a youth close to her own age but that was all. She couldn’t say she felt anything for him. They were figures and nothing more. This confirmed her desire to be free to choose who she desired as a mate.

“So child,” Argos smiled cruelly, “which one appeals to you?”

“None of them do, Councilor Argos. I still stand with my original request.”

“None? But I was sure …”

“Councilor Argos, the citizen has refused the options offered. Her original petition now stands before us.”

Marna watched Argos staring down at her. She could almost read the thoughts slipping through his head that she was just a girl who seemed about to overturn their whole way of life. She doubted that he would support any move she made because it would alter how things had always been done on his watch.

Marna stood as the voices talked around her. She heard the voices, but not the words, which just infuriated her. The sounds rose and fell around her like the swelling of the sea, calm now and a violent storm moments later. She stood like a statue, while she thought of why she waited. She couldn’t bear to live with someone and see the fall out of yet another failed joining. There were many who chose the comfort of someone other than their genetically compatible mate to spend their lives with due to an unacceptable joining.

Marna knew firsthand what a failed joining was like. Her parents were deemed compatible, but that had to be simply genetically. Her mother had no interest in children or a home life. Diaa’s only interest was in her career and Marna was only at her side growing up when it was convenient for her mother’s career to have her there. Her mother had taken a lover that was as interested in the politics of the world as she was, but marriage was forever.

Her father was better, but not perfect. He wanted and loved Marna desperately; however, once his wife Diaa moved on to someone new, so did Cleric Patron. Marna had to admit at least Chiron helped her father in his work, as well as helping to raise her. So while she never had her mother around she always had two fathers to turn to for help and love. The days no longer existed where two separate sexes were needed to create life. Now genetic material could be taken from any two individuals and a child created. The only thing was, children from a mat-nat tended to have the ability to use magic and become part of the Cleric training program.

It was from this genetic marriage that Marna had been born. Her mother a natural, her father a material had been deemed a match creating her. She had her mother’s drive and her father’s powers so she knew she was different from most of those her age. She was also smart enough to know that whatever decision the council made it would be binding and affect the entire ability of the world to choose for themselves again.

It was as a silence finally was falling around the room that the chamber doors slammed open and the Clerics strode in. The leader of the Clerics moved quickly, her robes fluttering behind her as she came to stand before Marna. The remaining Clerics entered at a more sedate pace. Marna felt a pain of guilt seeing them enter to stand with her.

 

“This is unheard of. You were not invited to these proceedings!” Councilor Argos’ voice thundered around the room.

“Don’t try that trick on a Cleric, old man,” was the soft whisper from the leader as she lowered her crimson hood. Even though her words were whispered no one failed to hear them. The Clerics laughed as they took their place behind their leader in the front of the chamber, effectively hiding Marna behind a wall of robes. The Cleric Resa stood with her staff raised in front of the seven other High Clerics of Chango.

“We are here because the Citizen is part Cleric as well. She is the first of her kind in generations and whatever decision is made here affects both Clerics and Citizens.”

It was only due to the fact that the Clerics had placed themselves before her that Marna was able to pick out her father and Chiron. Her father, Cleric Patron, stood taller than any other, a massive wall of white robe and giant staff, while Chiron stood so much shorter on Patron’s left in his dark green robe. The others wore colors as bright and colorful and while she had always known they had great powers, to her, they had always been like an extended family of aunts and uncles.

“High Cleric Resa, would you join me for a moment?” Councilor Lorna motioned to the small chamber to the side of the room. Resa nodded and followed Lorna.

In the silence that filled the room Marna shook as the realization of what she was attempting finally settled in. Her father turned and winked at her before turning to face the council again. She noted how Chiron shyly turned and nodded at her. If the genetic marriages hadn’t been so absolute, her father could happily declare Chiron as his mate. Her mother might stop hiding in the shadows and bring out her lover as well. These were the people they truly loved but had been unable to search for or love openly. She refused that fate for herself.

Only a few moments passed before the Councilor and Cleric returned to face the assembly and Marna. The two stood stone faced before them all.

“Citizen Marna, please approach the podium.”

Marna walked forward and tried to stay calm, despite the fact that her heart was trying to pound its way out of her chest.

Councilor Lorna looked at Marna but before speaking glanced over at Cleric Resa.

“We will grant your request to find your own mate.”

She took a moment and looked down, noting her shaking her hands. Marna wanted to cry in happiness but the next words chilled her to the bone.

“However, there are two conditions to these and the Clerics have agreed to them.”

Marna looked up at Councilor Lorna but quickly shifted her gaze to Cleric Resa and saw her nodding.

“You will be given a talisman which frees you from all other entanglements. You will be free to talk to who you like, when you like. However when you feel you have found the one you want you must offer them the talisman. If they accept it from your hand, we will grant this freedom to others. However, if the person you choose refuses and lets the talisman fall, then it will hit the floor and shatter. At that point, all choices, even amongst the usual three genetic potentials given, will be ended and everyone will be granted a partner at birth by the monitor.”

Horrified by the implications of her choice, she was ready to refuse in hopes of making a different outcome. She was about to speak when Cleric Resa looked at her and silenced the protest on her lips with her own statement.

“Originally the council planned to refuse you and forbid you a chance of mating for your attempt to alter the norms. Instead this was the compromise reached. Think carefully before you refuse it.”

No chance of a mate? She would grow old and be forbidden to have anyone in her bed or a child. To never have someone touch her or to touch another in any form of love wasn’t something she had ever considered. It would doom her and end all friendships because an unmated adult couldn’t be left alone with one person but always had be in a room with at least four others. Someone who could not be mated would only be allowed to see their parents occasionally until they were twenty, then they were taken to live by themselves where they would be cut off from society completely. It was a hard, lonely life, that only had happened to those found to be unfit for society. Those forced into such a living condition soon went insane. She carefully weighed her choices – a life alone or the chance to allow the whole world to find the love they desired? Did she have the right to risk the world’s chances for a chance to find her own happiness?

“We must have your answer now.”

“Now … I …”

She felt the gentle hand on her shoulder. Marna looked down expecting to find her father’s white sleeve and was surprised instead to find Chiron’s green one. His soft voice, barely a whisper came to her reassuringly.

“Do it, Marna. We have faith in you.”

For a moment she was torn, thinking what it would be like to have Patron and especially Chiron stripped from her life. Her heart broke at the thought. Instead, Marna nodded and took courage from Chiron’s gentle manner. Lifting her head she faced Councilor Lorna and Cleric Rena.

“I choose to find my own partner.”

“So be it,” Lorna announced. “One week from today everything will be ready and you may begin. You will be given six months to find yourself a partner, Marna.”

***

Time seemed to fly but eventually everything was ready. Announcements had been made that a woman would be traveling around the world. She could talk to who she liked and they would be free to talk to her unbound by the normal laws. Paperwork had been given to Marna and both her parents had spent time with her. Her mother, Diaa, had been unhappy that she had even attempted to change the mating choices, never mind going off on this adventure, but now she just wished her daughter luck. Her father, Patron, wished her well and gently kissed her forehead. Chiron came to speak privately with her before she left.

“What you do is very special. I’m proud to have helped raise you. Now listen carefully as I explain this talisman to you. It is formed of crystal. The council had us lay the spell that will announce when you finally make your choice and when the crystal is either accepted or shattered.”

Marna nodded, realizing in many ways her fate was now tied to the crystal she was to wear around her neck until she found someone she wanted to spend her life with.

“I also cast something else on the talisman.”

Marna looked up to see Chiron’s grey eyes flash at her. He usually wasn’t the one to take the initiative, so this was rare. He blushed as he threaded the talisman and handed it to her.

“When your heart has decided what it really wants in a partner it will slowly begin to glow. When you find someone looking for the same thing it will pulse as your heart does. I hope that helps you in your search, Marna.”

Marna leaned over and gently kissed the man she always considered her father.

“Thank you, Chiron, for all your support.”

Chiron smiled and hugged Marna tightly. “Anything for my daughter. Just remember when you leave here tomorrow the clock starts ticking. You only have six months to find someone, Marna.”

“I know Dad. Just keep hoping I don’t screw this up.”

“We have faith in you, now you just have to have faith in yourself.”

Chiron smiled and left Marna to finish her packing.

***

Marna traveled around from city to city. She met hundreds of men and women, but no one seemed to interest her. Their lives revolved around small concerns and they didn’t really seem interested in the world outside their windows. They seemed to find her an oddity but nothing that seemed to draw their attention for long. Finally after a few months she decided it was time to venture out into the smaller communities and towns.

She didn’t find much interest until she came to the town of Copseland. The small town was known for the incredible wood working done there. Marna had often seen incredible works of art and furniture from the town fetch large sums of money at the galleries in the cities. Yet here, the same items were sold at a quarter of the cost. She wondered if the people knew what their work was truly worth. It was while she walked along the town’s artistic alley that she heard of the two brothers about her age who worked, not in wood like the rest of the artists, but in metal. There were rumors that they were also Clerics.

Figuring she had nothing to lose, she followed the rumors until she finally found the workshop of the Antier brothers. Listening to the stories told she had heard that the brothers were born nine months apart. The older brother, Billus, had dark hair and piercing blue eyes, while his younger brother Matius, had hair the color of fall wheat and eyes of stormy green. She paused outside the shop and removed the talisman from her dress. She noted that it not only glowed but pulsed. One of these two men thought like she did. Intrigued she entered the shop.

The shop was neat and clean. There were beautiful statues lined up against the walls and as she entered their shop she could clearly hear the two men arguing.

“Please, nothing is going to change in the world unless we force it to happen.”

“There is no reason to force change. Life is change. All you have to do is be willing to accept the chance when it comes to you.”

She turned the corner and found the two men molding a piece of blue metal with the power of their minds. It confirmed for her that they were indeed Clerics. It was as though they sensed her entrance into the workshop and a profound silence fell between them. She watched the power flow between the two brothers and the metal bend to their will. Slowly it took form and a near perfect copy of the town took shape. The sheer detail in the work delighted Marna and she found she couldn’t remain silent.

“That is impressive.”

Billus turned and stared at her. His face was unreadable at first.

“Why are you here alone? Where is your mate?”

Accustomed to the question, she was no longer upset by it, she reached into her satchel and pulled out the paper work. She watched as his fingers held the paper. When he looked up she was captured by the stare of his intense eyes. She barely noticed as he passed her papers to his brother.

“So what is it you want?”

“Be nice Billus, she is a guest and a stranger here,” Matius stated. “Is there something we can do to help you?”

She watched as Billus ran his hand through his thick locks. His eyes seem to capture her full attention, dragging her down into the deep blue of his eyes, and unable to look away she felt her cheeks grow warm as the blush rose to her face. He has to be the one.

Matius walked over and handed the paper back to her.

“I heard you two arguing before I walked in. May I ask what that was all about?”

Billus went to say something when Matius shot him a look that Marna was clearly able to decipher as ‘shut up.’

“Does it really matter to you?” Billus leaned against the counter waiting for her to answer him.

“Well I thought you two were discussing something about change. I’ve gone through a few changes myself lately so was curious what it was you might be looking to alter?”

Billus stared at her silently. Matius pulled himself up onto the table beside their statue and a small smile crept onto his face.

“There are things we would like to see change, but my brother likes to think he can make the world change just because he wills it.”

Billus growled at Matius.

“Well you wait until things are already bad and then try to make people see your way. What good is it when it is that far along? Just force them to see it your way and they will do what you want!”

Marna thought about what Billus was saying. Isn’t that what I’m doing? Aren't I forcing the council to do as I want? Did I care what it might mean to everyone else?

“I’m not saying you’re wrong. Sometimes you have to force the issue to get change. However, there are times when if you wait and show them what could be instead of what they thought would be you get your way a hell of a lot faster. Not only that,” Matius smiled widely showing his even white teeth as he leaned slightly forward, “it saves your knuckles and you don’t end up bruised in other places either.”

“Hey, I only lost that fight because there were too many on the other side. Besides, you’re my brother and should have backed me up.”

“If I remember correctly, and I always do, you told me to ‘keep your scrawny neck out of my fight, because I don’t need you.’”

“Well you weren’t much help were you, Mat.”

“Oh, okay. So next time you pick a fight with fifteen men, instead of grabbing the bartender’s paralyzing gun and forcing the fight to end, I’ll just let them beat you to a pulp.”

Marna barely even registered the rest of the conversation. She was completely wrapped up in the way Billus spoke, moved, and thought. She noted the muscles of his arms, the dark hair that peeked above his apron, and the way his hands moved when he was making a point. She kept getting so lost in her own thoughts that she nearly missed everything Matius had been saying.

“… and then the new posters were hung around town. Supposedly in three weeks a new announcement will be made about how everyone will be set up for mating from now on. I just don’t know why this is happening now.”

“New posters? I’m sorry; I guess I must have fallen asleep. What is all this about new posters?”

“Yeah, about five months ago notices were sent out everywhere saying that the council was considering a major change in how everyone would be matched up and mated”

“But the bastards,” snarled Billus, “never bothered to tell us exactly what changes were going to take place.”

“Five … five months,” whispered Marna. Where had the time gone? Have I really squandered all that time looking for a mate and finding no one? Then again I have found Billus, and I think he is the one.

Matius walked over and sat on a stool between Billus and Marna. As he spoke he gestered excitedly to Marna. “Well I think it was nearly five months ago. Anyway, I’m excited. It means, after all this time, something new is finally happening.”

“You might think that something good going to happen, however, I am sure it is just some new problem we will have to live with. Face it; there hasn’t been a single pairing for marriage in all that time. Whatever they are planning can’t be good!”

“You are just upset because it might mean something new for you, Billus.”

Marna was surprised to hear no one had been married. The council was giving her full options to find a mate, but time was running out and she felt that here she had finally found someone worth her time.

***

A week and half had passed. Marna found she was captivated with the work the brothers did. When they worked together they created some incredible works of art, and she often found herself studying their incredible creations knowing that they belonged in some of the best museums in the world. When they worked separately however, their works were vastly different.

Billus often worked in bronze. His works were dark, focusing on faces in pain, bodies disfigured, and children crying. His work evoked deep feelings of despair. Marna had never seen such work before and it unnerved her. For, as frightening as some of his work could be, when he decided to craft a figure of a woman for a garden commission, she was completely captivated by the figure’s subtle grace and expected to see it move at any moment. He was capable of creating beauty but rarely used it for his work.

Matius worked in many metals. His works were varied and different from that of his brother’s. He created metal flowers that looked so real that Marna expected to find a sweet scent coming from them when she walked by. When she really examined them she would find even small ladybugs and other creatures on the stems and flowers themselves that he had crafted. There were small statues of children playing with balls or animals. His work always seemed to evoke a peaceful feeling.

As time passed she noticed Matius, not because of who he was but because of how much time he spent working with Billus. One seems to be the opposite of the other in so many things, but always they find a way to complement each other when they work together. I wonder if I will fit in so well.

She had become a constant part of their workshop in the week and half Marna spent with them. When they accepted a commission from a patron, it became normal for them to ask her opinion. She found they no longer argued about every little thing but still she couldn’t seem to get closer to Billus. He seemed to take a walk each evening to work out the kinks from his work. Marna had offered to go with him on more than one occasion but it wasn’t to be.

“This is when I go out and clear my mind and let my body rest. I enjoy this time to myself.”

“I understand.”

So each night she watched him wander into the town as twilight’s tender embrace filled the sky with soft rosy colors. It was as she was sitting there late one night and realized she would have to break down and approach him that things took an awkward turn for her. Billus had just taken off for his nightly walk and Matius stopped cleaning and came to stand in the doorway.

“So do you plan to tell him why you are really here?”

“Excuse me?”

Matius leaned against the door frame, his arms crossed, watching Marna. She found for a moment she couldn’t meet his gaze until he spoke again.

“I am no genius but even I can tell you are not a normal little girl from the city. Those papers state you can go anywhere and talk to anyone, but it makes it clear that they must not be mated.”

“They do,” Marna agreed. For a moment she feared he was going to send her away before she completed her mission.

“Well that alone marks you as someone different. Then there is the fact you carry a bag and seem to keep moving on, or you told us that is what you were doing. However, since you came into our lives you haven’t moved on. In fact you seem to be watching us closely and staying here.”

“I,” Marna paused, unsure what she was going to say. She blushed as Matius watched her.

“Look, I like you. You are different from anyone else I have ever met. Different can be a good thing; however anyone who looks at you can tell your interest lies with Billus. I’d suggest you be honest with him and tell him whatever it is that brings you here.”

Marna blushed as she watched Matius straigten up, turning his muscular back as he walked back into the workshop. She hadn’t realized how obvious she must have been. She could hear Matius begin to clean the workshop up again as the sounds of doors closing and metal slamming filled the air. She sat there trying to decide how she would explain everything to Billus, including why everything in his life would change in a week’s time. Getting slowly to her feet, she wandered intently to the small inn where she had rented a room.

Marna waved to the innkeeper and headed up to her room, grateful for the solitude it would now afford her. Marna’s funds were nearly gone and so was her time. She sat before the vanity mirror and noticed the pendant that hung around her neck. She pulled the crystal out of her neckline and slid it off. Marna sat studying the small talisman on the table before her. It is funny how something so small could have such importance. Tomorrow, I have to tell him tomorrow while I still have the courage to do so.

***

Marna woke early the next morning. She knew today would be the day she would find out her fate. She had sat listening to Billus for almost two weeks. She couldn’t help but care for the tortured metalworker. His work contained such raw pain that she couldn’t help but want to reach out and help him. It was only as she was sliding the necklace on, that Matius passed through her mind.

I’ll have to remember how observant he really is. The man seems to understand instinctually what is happening around him. I hope he approves.

Marna took extra time to make sure her long hair was neatly braided and that her outfit fit properly so she would make a good impression. She nearly stopped and went back to the inn more than once, but knew that time was nearly up. I can do this. I know I can do this.

Billus and Matius were just entering their workshop. She could see how the morning light glistened off both men’s wet hair as they entered their shop and began to get things set up for their day of work. Quietly she entered behind them and took a seat where she had been perching for the last few days.

She noticed Matius stop to watch her and saw him shake his head as he turned to get something out of the drawer behind him. Billus was wrestling a huge piece of iron onto the work bench the brother’s shared when doing a combined project.

“Um, Billus,” Marna nearly whispered. She took a deep breath before continuing. “Billus, can I talk to you for a moment? It is sort of important.”

Billus turned and looked at Marna. She could see the hesitation as he glanced at her and then the metal he had just moved into place. She could hear his sigh from where she sat and the butterflies in her stomach became tanks trying out their weapons. What had seemed like an easily attained idea so many months ago had boiled down to the next few minutes and Marna prayed she wasn’t going to screw this up.

“Do you remember talking about the announcement coming next week about how our matings are done?”

Billus stared at Marna and slowly nodded.

“Well the announcement concerns me,” her voice cracked as she continued, “or I should say what I am doing. You know how everyone is given three choices by the monitor of who they can marry?”

Billus stared at her. He didn’t move. Marna nervously licked her lips, trying to stay focused. It wasn’t until that moment that she realized Matius has stopped what he was doing and was listening to everything she had to say.

“I petitioned the council for a chance to change how matings are done.”

Marna watched the confusion grow in Billus’ eyes as he leaned against the counter.

I wish he would do or say something so I knew how he felt about this.

“I was given six months to find someone I desired as a mate. The flyers you were talking about are when my deadline ends.”

“I see,” stated Billus softly.

“So you asked for change? You took on the whole of the council for this opportunity?” Matius stood with a look of surprise on his face.

“Yes. I wanted the right to pick who I wanted to marry.”

“So you would get the chance to marry someone who makes you feel special?” Billus was staring at her intently now. There was a spark in his eyes and his hands tightened on the edge of the counter he leaned against.”

“Yes,” Marna replied as she reached up and took the talisman from her neck.

“No matter what?” There was a sense of awe in what Billus said.

“Yes and who I choose is free to accept me and not who is determined to be genetically acceptable.”

“Then, if you can do it,” Billus began.

“I choose you,” Marna said reaching out to hand him the talisman.

“I could have who I desire as well.”

The talisman slipped from her fingers and began to fall to floor.

***

The words Billus had just said finally sank in as the talisman made its way to the floor. She looked down, stunned, expecting to see it in a shattered mess at her feet. Instead she seen a thin piece of metal had somehow become wrapped around the leather thong Chiron had tied to the talisman. Following the metal back she found Matius manipulating the metal block Billus had set there moments before. She could see the sweat on his brow as he fought to keep his sudden creation from snapping. Carefully she reached down and took the talisman from the metal.

Billus looked at the talisman and then his brother. There was a frown on his face and his brow was forrowed in confusion which showed clearly to Marna and Matius.

“How did you know to grab the talisman?” Marna stared in surprise at Matius.

Matius leaned forward, gasping for air. Marna noted the sweat covering his brow and knew he had to be exhausted. Her heart went out to him, knowing how completely drained a Cleric could be when forced to use their powers unexpectedly. It took a few moments before he could look up. When he did there was a sad smile on his face.

“Because, I pay attention to what is happening.” His soft response was laced with pain that Marna couldn’t understand.

Slowly he walked over to Marna and kissed her. Then he turned and walked out of the room, leaving Billus and Marna alone.

“What just happened?”

“I think I just made a huge mistake,” came Marna’s reply. “You’re in love with someone.”

“Yes. Every night I take a walk and look at her through her parent’s window. I know the chances that we will be paired into a marriage by the monitor are slim, but we have been friends since childhood and I have fallen in love with Renata.”

Each word was another crack made in her heart. Even if it was painful, she had to know the truth now. She looked up just as Billus squeezed his hands into fists.

“Does she feel the same way about you?”

A beautiful smile came to Billus’ face and Marna realized her chance was gone.

“Oh, yes. Renata loves me too!”

Marna shook her head and her shoulders slumped. Matius had told her to talk to him and she just rushed on with her plans, never bothering to talk to Billus.

“You were offering yourself to me, weren’t you?”

Marna blushed and nodded.

“But why didn’t you tell me what you were doing? What is that thing anyway?”

Marna spent the next half hour explaining to Billus what the past few months of her life had been like. The traveling around from town to town, meeting so many people, and never once finding someone who met the things she wanted in a mate. Embarrassed she told him how the talisman glowed when she finally found this workshop and thought she had found her mate in him.

“And it always glowed when you were near me?”

“I … to be honest, I don’t know. I only noticed it the first day and never again studied it.”

“So you never looked at it when you were alone with me or with Matius?”

Marna could only look at her feet. She slipped the talisman on and for the first time noticed it wasn’t glowing. Oh, did the enchantment end? Have I failed?

“Matius lives in a small house at the end of this street. Go talk to him, Marna. Explain this to him and see what happens.”

Marna felt totally dejected as she walked out of the workshop. She didn’t know if she could face Matius, never mind tell him the truth. How could I be so stupid?

She hadn’t even gotten as far as the street proper when she spotted Matius sitting outside the inn with a large mug in his hand. Shaking her head she made her way to his side.

“So did you and Billus finally talk?”

Marna nodded. “How did you know?”

“I’m not sure what I know right now. I know you fell for my brother. I know that thing you wear around your neck is important. I know you have a chance no one has had in generations.”

Marna sat down beside Matius and again explained everything from the beginning. She held nothing back and told him how she had traveled from town to town, finally having the talisman glow for the first time outside their workshop, and how she was sure it had to be Billus that made it glow. She even told Matius how Billus asked her if she ever checked to see if the talisman glowed when she was alone with either of them. She sat uncomfortably watching Matius take it all in. He set his mug down and seemed to scrutinize her.

“I see. So you fell for Billus, but he already has someone he loves, Renata.”

“Yes. He told me he loves her.”

“So what are you going to do now that you have been refused?”

Marna pulled the talisman out. It pulsed with a steady glow to match her heart once again. This time her face blushed with shame. She had caused so much confusion and hurt feelings and things would have been so simple if she had simply seen which brother the talisman glowed for.

“I honestly don’t know. It was supposed to fall to the floor and shatter, ending my chance at ever having a mate. I have only a few days left now so I don’t know.”

“I am not a consolation prize.”

“Excuse me?”

“Your heart thing, it is glowing now that you are with me. You realize that, don’t you?”

Marna hadn’t thought she could feel worse than she already did. Unfortunately, she had been wrong.

“When you first came to our shop, Billus was raging about things not changing for marriage. He wanted the chance to marry Renata. He felt he had to fight for change. I told him too that life is change. If you wait you get what you want, and usually without all the fuss because now people know what they are getting. The only thing I was wrong about is you can still be bruised, just not in places that show.”

“I’m sorry.”

“I know.”

“Is it too late …”

“To try again? As long as there is time you can always start again.”

Marna looked up to find Matius smiling at her.

***

A week later an announcement was sent back to the council that Marna, child of Diaa and Patron had found a mate in Matius, child of Signa and Waver. The council sent out announcements that genetic marriages would be available to those who wanted them, but from this point on people would also be free to choose their partner. Marna received a note before the end of the week that the entire Council and the Clerics would be coming to Copseland to see her and Matius.

On the appointed day the small town was inundated with people. Slowly they all made their way to the shop of Billus and Matius. It was one of the few places in town big enough to hold so many people. The art work the brothers had created had been temporarily moved to other locations.

Marna was nervous and tried to keep Matius close at all times. Her mother arrived with Councilor Bata, who Marna realized must have been her mother’s lover from the way he fawned over her every move. Marna just shook her head doubting her mother would feel secure to come to her when there were so many others attending.

Her father arrived with nearly all of the Clerics. He strode over and kissed her forehead before wandering off to look at some of the small works Matius and Billus had left in the shop.

Chiron was the first person to actually talk to Marna. He stood and watched as Matius stood at her side, his arms gently embracing her. Marna watched as Chiron’s grey eyes sparkled mischievously.

“I only have one thing to tell you, Marna, … you did very well.”

Marna smiled as Matius took her hand, the talisman now worn on a chain around his neck.

“I understand that you have requested a chance to speak to the Council, Dad. Am I right in guessing you desire a change in how things are done?”

Chiron blushed but stood his ground. Marna leaned back against Matius and smiled.

“Well, you aren’t the only one who wants to go after their heart’s desire.” Marna watched as Chiron’s eyes searched out Patron as he wandered happily looking at the different displays.

“I’m so happy for you, Dad.”

“Thank you. But now I have one last question for both of you.”

Marna and Matius looked at each other for a moment before turning to face Chiron.

“How soon can we expect grandchildren?” Chiron smiled as he walked over to join Patron, leaving the two standing stunned in his wake.

So that was my take on the idea of Valentine's Day. I didn't want to do a typical love story. So what did you think of my tale? i thank you for reading it, but feel free to leave comments as well. If you enjoyed it don't be shy about hitting that like button.

This story was part of the FSO Valentine Anthology. I want to thank Renee Stevens again for all the hard work she did in beta reading and then editing this for public reading. Without her help it wouldn't be the tale you see before you.
Copyright © 2014 comicfan; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Administrator

I enjoyed this story. I had a feeling it would be Matius and not Billus, but knew for sure when he saved the talisman from hitting the floor. I'm a sucker for a good HEA and this didn't disappoint. :wizard:

Link to comment
On 04/09/2014 10:52 AM, Valkyrie said:
I enjoyed this story. I had a feeling it would be Matius and not Billus, but knew for sure when he saved the talisman from hitting the floor. I'm a sucker for a good HEA and this didn't disappoint. :wizard:
Glad you liked it Valkyrie. Was getting a bit worried. Over four hundred reads but not a single comment. :hug:
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Oops. I read this on my phone and couldn't comment then, but thought I did later.

I loved the "courage to make a change" theme. It can be hard to try to change things.

Billus recognized the importance of the talisman and gave her a second chance, which the elders were not willing to do. Also Matius gave her a second chance. Although I wonder if that was for himself, or for his brother?

Link to comment
On 04/16/2014 12:03 PM, DynoReads said:
Oops. I read this on my phone and couldn't comment then, but thought I did later.

I loved the "courage to make a change" theme. It can be hard to try to change things.

Billus recognized the importance of the talisman and gave her a second chance, which the elders were not willing to do. Also Matius gave her a second chance. Although I wonder if that was for himself, or for his brother?

I think Mat seen Marna for who she was from the get go. He watched her and liked what he saw. I believe he was honest when he told her that he wasn't a consolation prize. Marna I am sure will be making it up to him for a long time. Billus was now free to after his love as well, but I don't see Matius being able to give up everything for his brother's happiness. For him, he was able to get what he wanted because he was willing to wait.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..