Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 3,890 Words
  • 1,818 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Durch Ferne Welten und Zeiten - 3. Chapter 3: Arcadia—The Pelican

Chapter 3: Arcadia—The Pelican

The caravan entered the city gate and disintegrated as wagons turned toward different destinations. The wagons that carried Andy’s cargo went south and then entered a large courtyard. “Please wait for me, here.” Andy asked. “I’ll report to Cadfael, the warehouseman—”

“The Pelican?” Mark interrupted.

“You work for the Pelican?” Kevin added.

Andy frowned. “You should not know that.” He paused. “We have bonds of fealty. By those bonds, I charge you, say no more of this until we can talk about it.”

Mark and Kevin looked at one another. Their eyes widened. Sweat beaded their upper lips. “We didn’t know . . . “ Mark said.

“We shouldn’t have said . . . ” Kevin stuttered.

Andy continued, “Do you agree? Please remember, that our oaths bind us as long as they do not conflict with an earlier oath.”

The boys nodded. Andy smiled. “Good. I’ll be back, soon.”

Shortly afterwards, Billy led Kevin and Mark to a plain room inside the warehouse. Andy was waiting. The room held only a table and chairs. Light came from windows high on one wall. Clerestory windows, the boys thought. Andy gestured for them to sit.

“I swore to protect you, provide for you, and cherish you before I knew very much about you. Nevertheless, I am bound by that oath.

“You oath of fealty includes obedience, and more. I did not think clearly when I offered our oath. You are from a different world with different customs. When you took the oath did you understand all of what that means? If you did not, then the oath is not valid.” Andy looked across the table at Kevin, expecting him to speak for the two. But it was Mark who replied.

“You took a chance on us when you offered the oath. I knew it, and because of that, I was willing to swear. We truly understood that fealty meant more than the words of the oath, itself. We know it meant obedience, and a lot of other things. It meant we would defend you with our lives. It meant that we would do what you say. It also meant you will give me what my father never gave me and my mother forgot to give me. It meant that you are going to help me find meaning in my life. At least, that’s what I think. It meant that if I swore the oath, things would get better. That may sound silly,” Mark’s voice softened, and tears came to his eyes. Kevin leaned into Mark’s shoulder and hugged him. Andy sat very still; he tried very hard not to show the emotions he was feeling.

“Yeah,” Kevin said. He took Mark’s hand. “Yeah, what he said, and more. It means that you were so what Mark just said. Fealty means family, to me. My mother abandoned me; my father looked the other way when my brother raped me. Even though you were only a few years older than I was, you were going to be the father I never had, and the older brother I wanted to have. And Billy, because he was part of the package, Billy was going to be the little brother I wished for.”

Kevin was jolted by the realization that both Andy and Billy might be decades older than he. Nevertheless he continued.

“Andy, when Mark and I came to this world, we said we loved each other. I know that love on this world isn’t exclusive, it’s inclusive. In the past three weeks—I mean ‘two tendays’—I’ve come to love you and Billy, and I know Mark has, too. I can see it when he looks at you, and I can feel it when he shares with either of you. And I’m happy with that, because I love Mark and am happy when he is happy.

“About the Pelican. I think it’s time we tell you the rest of the story.” Kevin looked at Mark, who wiped tears from his eyes and nodded.

“Say what you will,” Mark said.

Andy and Billy sat quietly as Mark and Kevin explained that the stories they’d been reading in the coffee house, the stories Rudy claimed to have written, were from The Book of Heroes and were about World. “The people in the stories were all the time swearing fealty, so we knew, we really knew, what it meant,” Mark said.

Then, Kevin described reading about Patrick and Alan, and James and Kenneth, and their commissions from the Temple and from the Pelican, head of the Arcadian intelligence service. They told how George came from their world with a knight named Arthur.

“We were afraid to tell you these stories because, well, we think some of them haven’t happened yet, and we don’t want to change history, or anything. Everything we have ever heard says that’s dangerous. It could kill thousands of people; it could destroy the world.”

Billy was enraptured. Even Andy was silent for several minutes before he spoke. “I don’t know all of the people you read about in Rudy’s book,” he said. “But I’m sure it’s his. He’s always been a storyteller. And, I have seen some of the heroes of this Age. It wasn’t that long ago that some of those boys were honored by Prince Auric. Patrick, an elf; Alan, his human companion and son of a privy councilman; two elven boys; a cleric; the son of the Duke of Carter; and a dead companion, known as Thom of Demand.

“I did not know, however, that these boys were working for my master. That is something I should not know.”

Kevin explained that they had read other stories, some of which were probably ancient, some of which might be in the future. “It’s pretty clear that Rudy, the author, has lived in many times. It’s possible, of course, that there’s more than one author, but we met Rudy, and, well, I think he’s the only one.

“I think, too, that we may end up in one of his stories,” Kevin added.

“So, you see,” Mark summarized. “We know much more than we should and, as you found out, much less than we need to know.”

Andy smiled, and then said, “Thank you both for your trust. It is a great gift.”

He continued with the issue that had been ignored, even though it stood in the room like a 500-pound gorilla: “I find myself on the horns of the bull. I must tell Cadfael that you know about the spy network, and that I now know that Patrick and the others are part of it. But, what you know, and how you know it, is your secret that I am oath-bound to protect. Besides, I’m not sure I know how to explain to Cadfael how you know. I don’t know what to do.”

Kevin felt Andy’s anguish, yes, anguish. He’s truly conflicted, Kevin realized. “Tell him,” Kevin said. “Tell him everything. He’s smart, and he’s Good. Nothing bad will come from telling him.” Kevin looked at Mark, who nodded.

“You said you had met some of the people in the stories,” Mark said. “I don’t know if Rudy has written the end of those stories, yet. What we know must be kept secret, even from you, I think.

“And, things like the Pelican, things that should be secret: we shouldn’t talk about them either, except, perhaps, among ourselves.”

Andy nodded. “You are right. There are things even I should not know.”

 

“Kevin, I guess you’ve figured out that I’m older than you.” Billy said that night.

Kevin nodded. “Yeah, I know. You’re not my little brother, after all.”

“But I want to be,” Billy said. “I want to be your little brother, that is.”

Kevin looked at the little boy who lay, naked and vulnerable, beside him. He wrapped his arms around Billy and kissed him—hard. “Thank you, Billy. I’ll always be big brother to you.”

 

Two days passed. Mark and Kevin spent most of the time with Billy, exploring the city. On the third day, over breakfast, Kevin asked, “What do we do, now?”

“That’s the right question,” Andy replied. “What do you think is the answer?”

“I thought you’d tell us,” Mark said.

“No,” Andy said. “You have sworn fealty, which means that until we agree otherwise, you are bound by my decisions, that you will obey me. But, nowhere in that oath was there anything about my making arbitrary decisions. I will, whenever possible, ask your opinions and ideas. That’s what I’m doing, now.”

“I think we should find Rudy,” Mark said.

“That’s because you had sex with him,” Kevin retorted, and immediately regretted it.

“Not so!” Mark said. “Yeah, I had sex with him, and he’s really cute; but that’s not the reason!”

“I know,” Kevin said. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. Why do you think we should find him?”

“Because,” Mark said. “We’re in the middle of a trope. You know, like Rudy said, a plot device. I know that he wondered if he were real and if we were real.” Just like I wonder if that stinking trailer I lived in was real, Mark thought, and shuddered at the memory.

“I wonder, sometimes, if we are real. At least, until you and I share, and then it is so intense, I know it’s real. I think we need to find Rudy and make him know that this is all real, and that he needs to write more about it so that other people will know what’s real. If that makes any sense.” Mark looked from Kevin to Andy. “Come on, guys, help me here.”

Andy waited, not wanting to step on the boys’ thoughts. It worked. Kevin spoke up. “I know what you’re saying. You’re right. We need to find Rudy so that he can write what is real. And, like Arthur said, the stories of Light and Dark? They might tell people what’s important, and help them remember.”

“Do you think there is a chance?” Kevin asked the question he had been hiding for so long. “Do you think the gate didn’t drift too far . . .?”

“Yes!” Mark asserted. “It wouldn’t dare!

“Well,” he added, “it would be the wrong trope. It would not serve harmony—balance. And, I really believe that we’re supposed to meet Rudy again.”

“I hope you are right,” Andy said. “We will search for Rudy. I am glad you want to.”

“I’ve spoken to Cadfael,” Andy said. “He agrees that we should travel to Barrone. He has business, there. More to the point, it is the place where Rudy would try to return. Almost certainly, it is the place he would seek no matter where he appeared on World.”

“Um, can we—I mean you, since Mark and I have little money—afford this?” Kevin asked the practical question.

“Yes,” Andy said. “Cadfael wants more trade with Barrone—and information. He has agreed to put you on the payroll. If you will agree, you will meet him, and take an oath to become part of the Arcadian Intelligence Corps.

“Besides, and this is secret. Cedar wasn’t the only thing on those wagons. In fact, trade in cedar hardly makes any money—barely enough to be worthwhile. Serious traders think I’m foolish and a coward for trading in cedar, because they know it creates little profit, and no brigand would ever think of stealing it.

“What they don’t know is that the cedar is a cover. Each of the wagons also held cases of books. And, we’ll be shipping books to Barrone, concealed in pallets of cedar planks.”

“Books! You’re preserving books from the coming darkness,” Mark said.

“Is that from a story?” Andy asked.

“Yes,” Kevin said. “But it’s not a future thing.”

“The College of Magic at Barrone . . . there was a huge library, there,” Mark added. “Arthur and George and the rest were searching for some books that a mage had hidden, and that’s not a future thing, either.”

Andy shook his head. He chuckled, and then said, “We’ve got to find Rudy, just to get all these stories and people straight!”

The Dawn Trader

The Dawn Trader sat low in the water. She bore a cargo bound for Barrone. The cargo included several pallets of cedar planks. Tongue-and-groove edges had been milled onto the boards. The boards would become liners for chests, to protect clothing from insects. That was one of the greatest values of cedar. Barrone, well south of the wet, sub-tropics of northern Elvenhold, could not grow cedar, and Andy expected to make a significant profit. “Being a member of the intelligence network doesn’t pay much. We have to earn enough to pay our way, and support others of us who cannot easily earn a living,” he explained.

Andy had found places on the ship as supercargo for himself and his companions. Supercargo meant passengers—but not high-paying passengers. They would not have a luxurious trip. Andy would rather they be listed as crew. It would be less expensive. The boys, however, did not have the skills. Well, at least I’ll have a chance to give them some training, he thought. Oh, I hope they get their sea legs, soon. I can’t train them if they’re seasick!

The first morning at sea, two of the tween sailors, high in the ship’s rigging, whistled their appreciation when Andy and the three boys, wearing only fundoshi, walked onto the after-deck to begin their training. Kevin felt the sailors’ lust; his fundoshi became tight. Mark blushed. Billy waved, and whistled back. The sailors were wearing no more than the boys were.

“We’ll start with unarmed combat,” Andy said, before leading them in the opening moves of what on Earth would be called, T’ai chi ch’uan—the Supreme Ultimate Fist. Andy showed a side that the boys had not seen before. He was uncompromising, demanding of perfection, tolerant of mistakes, but utterly intolerant of slacking off. There was no room for humor, sexual innuendo, laughter. Billy seemed changed, too. He knew the movements that Andy was teaching, and helped Mark and Kevin, but he, too, was brusk and efficient. Both Mark and Kevin understood, quickly, and accepted this. They both remembered what Arthur had told George: There really are wicked witches and ogres. World is a dangerous place.

The training lasted until noon, when Andy led the boys to the stern, lowered a bucket, and scooped it full of seawater. “Take off the fundoshi,” he said. Andy and Billy unraveled theirs, and stood naked on the deck.

Kevin and Mark followed this example, but more slowly. Two of the tween sailors who had been lounging nearby, whistled. Mark felt himself growing hard, and blushed. Billy, however, called to the two tweens, “If you mean that, you’ll share with us tonight; if you don’t mean it, keep it to yourselves.”

The tweens laughed. They exchanged glances, and one said. “The first thing you said. After supper?”

Billy nodded. “After supper.”

The three boys were distracted by the conversation, and yelled when Andy doused them with the bucket of seawater. Mark’s erection shriveled. Andy had mixed magic with the water cascading down their bodies, washing away dirt and sweat.

Andy washed himself, and then set another bucket of seawater on the deck. He dipped his hand in it. He withdrew his hand, and flung away a few drops of water.

“You’re a mage!” Kevin whispered. “You magicked the salt out of the water. That’s real magic.”

“I can do a few things,” Andy said. “Now, let me rinse the salt off of you.”

Barrone: The College of Magic

The door opened to a narrow hallway. A few feet from the door, a small table constricted the hallway. Behind the table sat a boy with brown hair. He wore a green tunic belted at his waist, and sandals. He smiled. “Welcome to the College of Magic. My name is Ethan. What do you seek?”

“My name is Andy. These boys are my apprentices. I have a letter for the Senior Mage. We also seek a friend, Rudy of Barrone, who may be known here at the college.”

Ethan gasped, “Do you know Rudy? He’s—” The boy abruptly closed his mouth. Then he stood and opened the door across the hall from the desk. “Please wait here, I’ll summon someone.”

Andy and the boys went into the room, which held only a table, six chairs, and a sideboard on which were a pitcher and six glasses. Light came from clerestory windows. Back at his desk, Ethan pulled a bell-rope, a device that Chandler had installed. Within minutes, Master Criticus reached the desk.

“Master, there are four boys in the waiting room. One said he had a letter for you, and that they were looking for Rudy. You don’t think they know . . .”

“We’ll find out what they know in due course,” Master Criticus said. “Summon Petrus and ask him to join me.”

 

“I am the Master of the College; my name is Criticus,” the man introduced himself. “Ethan said you had a letter?”

Hidden by the table, Billy touched Andy’s leg to signify that the man spoke the truth. Andy removed the letter from his pouch and passed it across the table. Criticus broke the seal just as Petrus came in. Criticus gestured to the boy, who offered glasses of lemonade to the visitors.

“Most extraordinary,” Criticus said. “Is this sub rosa, or may I speak freely? Petrus is my apprentice, and bound by oath to secrecy.”

“It may be known among my companions and apprentices, and to your apprentice,” Andy said.

Criticus nodded. “The letter, which bears the Prince’s signature and seal, asks me to bring you into my confidence, to host you at the College, to give you valuable books of which we have more than one copy, to help you in your search for one Rudy of Barrone, and to keep secret what you ask. What, specifically, is secret?”

“We are traders in cedar. I have a very large load at the docks. On the surface, we came here to sell you cedar; you offered your hospitality during the negotiations. That is not secret. We will, of course, deliver some cedar to you, at no charge.

“The business of the books is secret, but may be shared under oath among the college; it would be hard to hide it, in any case. The fact that the Prince sent us is secret and should not be shared with anyone not present. That is all,” Andy concluded.

“I will, of course, obey. I hope, however, that confidence and trust is reciprocal?”

“It is,” Andy said. “First, you should know that these boys met Rudy under unusual circumstances which we will relate when there is time. It’s quite a long story. Second, as far as the books go, Prince Auric has commissioned me and others to search Arcadia for important books—books of science, magic, history, and stories—and to take those books to places where they will be safe should the Dark overwhelm Arcadia.”

“The long story, certainly, can wait,” Criticus said. “But we are all worried about Rudy. May we know the circumstances?”

Andy nodded to Mark, who answered. “We met Rudy when an evil mage sent him to our world. Rudy was able to make a gate to bring himself back. We followed; he didn’t know we were going to, so don’t blame him, please. We didn’t see him when we came here. The gate must have drifted. We have promised to look for him.”

“You don’t seem surprised that we’re from another world,” Kevin added.

“You are not the first such to come to this college,” Criticus said. “But that’s another long story to be shared, later. Now, about the books?”

“The prince knows that we will soon be in open warfare with evil forces,” Andy said. “He knows that Arcadia and Elvenhold have been overrun in the past. He knows that evil tends to destroy, indiscriminately, temples, monasteries, colleges, and—more to the point—books.”

“You know, don’t you,” Criticus asked, “that Darkness has established a foothold in Arcadia? The city of Demand, including its College of Magic, is in the control of evil men. The temple was abandoned some few years ago.”

Mark and Kevin exchanged knowing glances. Andy spoke. “Yes, and the Prince knows it, as well.”

“Why hasn’t he done anything?” Petrus asked.

Andy chuckled. “The prince doesn’t tell me all his plans,” he said. “And, it would not be wise to speculate, even under the rose.”

Criticus lifted his eyebrow at that. While many people knew that sub rosa meant secret, few would have known the literal translation of that Old Elvish term. “You are a scholar. Oh, of course, you’d have to be to select the right books.”

Andy nodded. “I have some training. And, I have books, for you, as well. Duplicates from other libraries as well as some that were rescued from Demand. You see, we’d like to establish your college as one of the repositories.”

“Is there a reason for that?” Criticus asked. “Barrone is very close to Eblis. If Arcadia were to be overrun, it’s likely . . . Why do you giggle, Petrus?”

“When Marty and Chandler first returned? I was at the desk, and we talked about how Eblis was often the source of evil, and how Barrone was vulnerable. I pointed out their illogic and cited the Second Precept. Marty countered with the First Precept. That’s how I knew they were mages.”

Mark looked puzzled. “What are the precepts?”

Criticus nodded to Petrus, who answered. “The first is that it is easier to destroy than to build, and hence, easier to do evil than good. The second is that all magic is cause and effect, and hence, a mage must be logical. There are many more. I’d like to tell you, but perhaps now is not the time.”

Master Criticus nodded. “It is nearly vespers,” he said. He turned to Andy. “The prince asks that we be your hosts while you are in Barrone.”

When Andy nodded, Criticus continued. “Petrus, please take them to the baths; show them a room in which to sleep; and bring them to supper.

“Andy, you and your companions are welcome. I would like to continue our discussion tomorrow, and see the books you have brought.”

 

“I sleep in a dormitory with some of my friends. There are extra beds, if you’d like to stay there,” Petrus said. “There is also an empty room that you might have, if you want.” The tone of his voice, and a shrug of his shoulders made it clear that he thought little of the second option.

Andy looked at Billy, who nodded, then at Kevin, who grinned. Kevin poked Mark in the ribs, and that boy nodded. “My very astute friends agree with you. We’d like to live in your dormitory.”

Petrus’ grin was as big as Billy’s. “Come on, then. You can leave your packs there, and we can still get to the bath before it gets crowded.” Petrus led the companions up two flights of stairs to a large, dormered room. “It gets the morning light. Oh, I hope you’re morning people. Things start very early, here.”

Copyright © 2013 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..