Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 4,566 Words
  • 2,199 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Durch Ferne Welten und Zeiten - 6. Chapter 6: Castle MacLachlan

Rudy and his forever-companion, Alexis, reach Castle MacLachlan where Rudy is to learn some of the things he has already written, if Alexis can convince the Duke’s regent that he and Rudy are on the side of the Light. More pages of The Book of Heroes will open, and Rudy will be reunited with a boy he met years ago in an inn that moves in time and space.

Chapter 6: Castle MacLachlan

Orion’s stamina brought them to the castle before nones. The drawbridge was down, but so was the portcullis. Alexis reined in Orion halfway across the drawbridge. He amplified his voice with magic, and called, “Hello the castle! Alexis of Arcadia and his companion, the boy Rudy of Barrone, ask the hospitality of The MacLachlan.”

A head appeared on the battlements. Rudy felt no ping of a truth-spell, yet the boyish voice said, “Say again your name and where you’re from. And do not lie.”

“Alexis of Arcadia and Rudy of Barrone,” Alexis replied.

“And do you swear amity with the Duke and his people?”

“We do,” Alexis said.

The portcullis began to rise. Over the creaking of winches and screech of metal sliding in the grooves of the gate, the boys heard, “Be welcome in the name of Ivan, Duke.”

 

A score of armed tweens and men stood in the courtyard; however, their weapons were sheathed, and they were in a rather careless formation, if it were a formation, at all. One of the figures, a tall tween with ash-blond hair that fell over his forehead and curled around the nape of his neck stepped forward and greeted them. “Alexis, I heard that much, I am Alan. I sort of run the army, here. And you, you’re Rudy?”

Rudy nodded. Alan continued. “Your horse—a Clydesdale—I thought I had the only one. He’s outstanding! Where did you get him?”

Alexis shook Alan’s offered hand. “It’s a long story. The short version is that he was a gift from my mentor, who found him in Forrest Green.”

“The truth, and enough of the truth, but not all of it.” It was the voice of the boy from the ramparts who now stood next to Alan.

“Now, Cooper,” Alan said, gently, “he did say it was a long story.

“This is Cooper,” Alan added. “His brother is Senior Cleric. Cooper is Senior Scamp.”

Cooper made a face and stuck out his tongue, as if to confirm that he was the Senior Scamp, and then said, “You’re Rudy and you’re really cute. Will you share with me?”

“Thank you, Rudy, I would like that, but not tonight, please. Alexis and I have promised, already.”

“Tomorrow, then,” Cooper said. Without acknowledging the look on Rudy’s face, or waiting for an answer, he dashed up stairs that led to the battlements. Shortly, the portcullis began to lower, accompanied by screeches and groans of metal-on-metal.

Why don’t they grease that thing? Alexis wondered.

* * * * *

Alexis and Rudy were offered a bath before being presented to the duke, so it was with clean clothes—including for Rudy a pair of worn chinos and one of Kevin’s T-shirts showing an eagle perched on an illegible Harley-Davidson logo—that they entered not the throne room but the kitchen. The duke was stirring a large pot of soup.

“Ivan? These boys came to visit. They are Alexis and Rudy. They’re both mages,” Cooper said. He had hounded Alan until Alan had agreed Cooper might serve as escort.

He knows I used magic at the gate, but he knows Rudy is a mage? Alexis wondered. Oh, yes. Cooper is the seventh son of a seventh son. Small wonder that he is able to suss that. Got to keep an eye on him, though. He doesn’t seem to be very circumspect about what he says.

The man who was cutting potatoes into the pot wiped his hands and gestured to Ivan. “Come on, lad, let’s see who we have, here.”

Ivan released the huge wooden spoon, and stepped down from the platform by the stove. “Hello, Alexis and Rudy. I am Ivan, and this is my regent’s father, Lord Silvanus. He’s also teaching me how to cook. Are you going to stay for supper and the night? I made the soup. Well, I picked out what’s going into it, including the herbs.”

Alexis bowed; Rudy copied the move. “Thank you, Your Grace,” Alexis said. “We would like to stay for supper. And there are important things that we would like to discuss with you, and with your regent and his father.”

Ivan clapped his hands. “I’m glad you will stay. There are so few boys here. Rudy, do you play Knights and Trolls? I know all of Cooper’s strategies, and he knows all of mine.”

Rudy smiled. “I would like that, Your Grace.”

“Oh, pooh! Please don’t call me that, and certainly not when I’m in the kitchen!”

“Your stew has cardamom, and thyme. Also tarragon. That’s an interesting combination,” Alexis said.

“You could tell that from just the smell?” Lord Aaron asked.

“Yes, my Lord,” Alexis answered.

“Please, Aaron is sufficient,” that man said. “I don’t suppose you’d like to . . . ?”

“Slice potatoes?” Alexis asked. “Of course. What may Rudy do?”

“I was thinking of a game of Knights and Trolls,” Aaron said. “I think you and I can finish the stew.”

He wants to get me alone, Alexis thought. But his aura is bright; there’s no hint of treachery. I know these people are servants of the Light. Rudy will be safe. “Would you like that?” he asked Rudy. The boy nodded.

 

Alexis sliced potatoes into the cauldron while Aaron stirred. “Needs more salt, I think,” the man said.

Alexis sniffed. “Yes,” he said. “About a half-cup I’d guess.”

The man nodded, and poured salt into the pot before he resumed stirring. “You said you had things to discuss. Although my son is regent, he is young and often asks me for advice.”

Aaron sniffed the steam coming from the kettle. “Just the right amount of salt, I think. And, no more potatoes, please.

“Please understand that I would not stand between you and him or Ivan; however, I would be comfortable knowing more about it, first. Perhaps an informal discussion over a stewpot?”

Alexis smiled. “Alan sees things as a puzzle. Rudy and I are a puzzle that I’d rather he not try to pull apart, not yet. There are other things that are more important. I would be happy to tell you what I know, in the hope that you would smooth the way. Which reminds me, why don’t you grease the portcullis?”

Rather than answer, Aaron said, “Do you see that basket of cilantro? Ivan selected that, but wanted it added near the end of the cooking. Would you rinse off a peck or so and toss it in?

“About the portcullis,” Aaron said. “I was wondering when a visitor would ask that question. You, too, see things with an inquiring mind. One of the things you can tell me is how you knew that about Alan. The portcullis? Well, it’s said that this castle has only been taken by treachery; a noisy portcullis might warn against treachery.”

“Hmm. It was not treachery when Alan and his companions, under the leadership of Patrick, found their way through mines and dungeons into the lower levels of this castle,” Alexis said. He saw Aaron’s frown, and then added, “I gather this is still secret?”

Aaron sniffed the stew again. “The cilantro was just enough. I argued with the boy about that, but he was most insistent. He was right.

“How do you know how they got into the castle?”

“That is part of what I want to talk about,” Alexis said.

“I said at the gate that I was from Arcadia. I am also a student. You certainly knew of my master, the Mage Corbus, of Arcadia. He occasionally attended the court. It was from him I learned the story of the restoration of Castle MacLachlan to the rightful Duke. It is a powerful story, a story of Light triumphant against the Dark. It is a story that will be told for many years to inspire boys to live in the Light.”

Aaron nodded. “Indeed, I was a member of the prince’s privy council. In fact, I think I still am, although I’m a little out of touch, here. I knew your master. I am surprised, however, that the story has been told so quickly.”

“And more widely than either you or the prince may think,” Alexis said. “It is written in a book. A magical book.”

Alexis described the Book of Heroes. “There still are parts of the book that are not open to me. There are pages I cannot open, even with magic.

“One of the stories I have read is of Alan’s injury on a hunting trip, his subsequent healing by an elf, Patrick, and their adventures, culminating with the ceremony in which they were knighted and sent on separate missions on the orders of Prince Auric.”

“Hmm,” Aaron said. “Probably didn’t paint a very flattering picture of me.”

Alexis grinned, “Not at first, but before the story ended you were shown to be a most caring father.”

“It seems,” Aaron said, “that you are privy to things that have happened, perhaps in detail, perhaps in imagination, that others do not know?”

“Yes. And, so is Rudy, for before the book came to my world, he wrote it. Yet, he does not know all he needs to write the book. It’s rather hard to explain . . .”

That Aaron was Alan’s father was proven at that moment. “It’s a puzzle,” Aaron said. “And one that I would share with Alan before telling him the solution.”

He smiled at Alexis. “Oh, yes. I have sussed the solution, but I would like Alan to have that same opportunity.”

 

Supper was more than the stew. On the other side of the kitchen, a crew had been busy baking bread and a strawberry cobbler. The caravaneers had arrived, and were also at the tables.

 

Alexis and Rudy had a room to themselves. As they undressed, Alexis asked, “How did you and Ivan and Cooper get along? Who won the game?”

Rudy climbed into bed and snuggled against Alexis. “Ivan and I let Cooper win. At least, I’m pretty sure Ivan deliberately missed a couple of opportunities. When I saw that, I did the same thing. It seemed to mean a lot to Cooper, and to be of no consequence to Ivan. I hope I did the right thing.”

“For a first game, you probably did. However, Cooper cannot always win, or he will never learn the difficult lessons he must learn,” Alexis said.

“One thing he has learned is how to get his way,” Rudy said. “He was most insistent that we share tomorrow night. He is apparently a sembler—even though he’s just a boy, so I couldn’t lie to him and say I was already promised, even though I would like always to be promised to you . . .”

Alexis shushed him with a kiss, and then said, “I think you will find Cooper to be a fun partner. Go with him, tomorrow. I think I will invite Alan. We can talk about our horses.” Alan and Alexis had spent some time in the stables comparing their Clydesdales, and Alexis knew Alan wanted to talk more.

“Talk about your horses. Right,” Rudy said, stretching out the last word, and then giggled.

Speaking Truth to Power

Rudy, Ivan, and Cooper were immersed in a giggly game of Knights and Trolls. Across the room, Ivan’s regent, Alan, sat with his father and the new visitor, Alexis.

“Alexis,” Aaron said. “Cooper, who is perhaps the most sensitive of us, has said you are good, and true. Still, my son’s commission from our liege prince is most serious and most important. We expect to face powers of darkness unlike anything seen in this age. Please, help us know how to deal with you.”

Alexis sat, thinking. Yesterday, Aaron seemed to understand. Ah, he is pretending, for Alan’s sake. He’s giving me a chance to justify myself to his son who as regent for Duke Ivan is even more powerful than his own father. Alan will explain things to Duke Ivan, who is a cute boy playing a game with two boys, one of whom is perhaps the greatest storyteller and mage of all worlds and times, and one who is an important unknown, for Cooper is, indeed, an unknown.

Alexis spoke slowly, choosing his words carefully. “Alan,” he began. “I ask your discretion in what I am about to say.

“There are more worlds than this one. Sometimes people from this world and others interact. Some of those interactions are recorded in stories on this world.

“Rudy is from this world, yet, he was at least once removed from this world, to return under unusual circumstances. Rudy writes stories. He has written a story about you and your companions—a story all of whose details even you may not know. He has written stories of Light facing Darkness, stories that occurred thousands of years in the past, as well as stories that may not happen for thousands of years to come.

“I am convinced that Rudy’s stories are real, and that what he has written has happened, and what he will write will happen.

“This is not to say that everything in Rudy’s stories is the literal truth. He often has to use imagination to fill in gaps. On the other hand, that which is important is often reported exactly and factually.”

Alan waited until Alexis had paused for breath. “When I was growing up, my father often read stories to me. Some were parables: stories that were not true, but which, nevertheless, had important lessons. Some were histories, including stories that only might have happened but which, true or not, shaped our culture. Some were almost certainly true, but had been warped by aeons into fables. I do understand what you are saying.

“My former companions, Patrick and James knew stories. Though Patrick was an elf, and James from western Arcadia, they were often surprised that I knew the same stories. Although the cores of these stories were identical, sometimes they had a different ending, a different moral, a different meaning. We had a lot of fun talking about that.” Alan’s eyes unfocused as he thought of his friends, the ones from whom he had been separated so recently.

“At this moment, here at this castle, in this place and time,” Alexis said, “I believe we are all in the middle of such a story—one that involves you and us and who knows who else.

“Some, perhaps all, of Rudy’s stories were compiled in The Book of Heroes. My master had a copy of that book, which he gave to me. What is most remarkable is that we cannot open the book to all of its stories. There is a spell on it whose magic is strong enough to keep us from reading things we should not read. Even Rudy, who wrote it, cannot read it all.”

“Things you should not read?” Alan said. The notion appealed to his love of puzzles.

“Yes, and I see that you find that a puzzle to be solved,” Alexis said. “Your love for puzzles appears in at least one story that I’ve read.”

“Of course,” Alan said. “Stories that would happen in your future, you should not read, for knowledge of the future is dangerous. Also, stories that contained secrets to which you were not entitled, you should not read.”

“That is the correct solution, I think,” Alexis said. Aaron nodded.

“Early in my apprenticeship,” Alexis said, “my master told me that my destiny was to explore World. He trained me, or brought in tutors to train me, in many arts. He gave me a Claymore sword that had belonged to his great-great-grandsire. It was not until recently that I was able to read the story of Alan and Patrick, and the restoration of the MacLauchlan. At once, I thought that I might become a hero much like Alan.”

Alexis pointedly ignored Alan’s blush.

“Like Alan, I would ride a Clydesdale horse, which my master procured. I think he had read the stories, and selected a Clydesdale, deliberately.”

Alan blushed more furiously.

“You were a wonderful model,” Alexis said. Alan blushed more.

“Following the instructions in the book, I came to the woods north of here and waited for Rudy to come through a gate.

“That’s the short version; obviously, there are details I’ve left out.”

“I do wish Patrick were here,” Alan said. “He would be able to explain all this.”

“Patrick is not, however,” Aaron said. “So, we must explain it, ourselves. Who might help us?”

“James and Greyeyes, of course,” Alan said. “I’ll send for them. They’re at Fairview,” he added. “That’s a day’s ride south.”

“They will not be here for at least three days,” Aaron said. “What shall we do in the meanwhile?”

“Learn all we can from Alexis,” Alan said. He turned to Alexis. “We’ve run around the tree several times. What you have said is quite interesting. Perhaps, however, it’s time to talk about what you said was important?”

Alexis nodded, and began. “One of the stories tells of four boys who were somewhere in the south of Arcadia when they heard the sound of the Sword of The MacLachlan falling into Ivan’s hand. Shortly after that, they heard what they first thought was an echo—but it was a dark echo.

“They believe, and I think they’re right, that the first sound, that of Light, was balanced by a sound from something Dark. The problem arises because both sounds were from this direction: northwest of where they were. Both sounds were of similar strength—”

Alan interrupted. “Whatever the evil thing is, it’s near us and near equal in power to the sword,” he said. “It could be weaker than the magic of Ivan’s sword, and not near us; it could be stronger, and farther away. But, if we are to believe that things balance, something Patrick talked a lot about, then near us is the most logical answer.”

Alexis nodded. “That is the conclusion I reached, although it took me somewhat longer than it did you. I believe one of my missions is to warn you; the other is to return Rudy to his home, which is Barrone. After that? I do not know.”

“And you know all this through stories,” Alan said. “Before you take Rudy to Barrone, will you share those stories with us?”

Alexis nodded. “All that we can. And, I ask that you share your stories with Rudy. There things about you that he has written, but which he does not yet know.”

 

Rudy was anxious to return to Barrone, but he understood. The things I learn from these people, they will become the stories that Alexis thinks are so important. I must learn more so I can tell the stories. I must also learn why Alexis believes this is so important.

 

“You and the other boys were very much engrossed in the game,” Alexis said as he scrubbed Rudy. “Who won?”

“I did,” Rudy said. “Ivan seemed, again, to want Cooper to win, but I remembered what you said, and played an honest game. Ivan lost; Cooper came in second. It didn’t seem to bother him, much.

“Alexis, why is it so important that I write the stories?”

“Rudy, do you play card games?” Alexis asked.

“Yes, but where did that come from?” Rudy asked. He giggled as he ran his soapy fingers through Alexis’s hair.

“It’s part of the answer to your question,” Alexis said.

“In many card games, there’s an extra card, the joker. That card has different roles in different games; still, it’s almost always the role of spoiler. The Joker can take on different aspects, but usually, it is the aspect of someone who can break the rules; someone who can be more powerful than expected; someone with unexpected talents; someone who can change everything without reason.

“I think that you and Cooper are jokers.”

“But if we’re Good, isn’t it okay?” Rudy asked.

“That seems right, doesn’t it?” Alexis said. “But, I think, I believe, that it’s never entirely right if a joker does something that prevents reality from playing out, if a joker becomes a deus ex machina . . .”

“ ‘Deus from a machine?’ What’s a deus? What’s a deus from a machine?” Rudy asked.

“Oh, sorry. Deus isn’t a word in Elvish. It’s something from elsewhere that my master taught me. It means a person who can break the laws of nature; think of it as a very powerful mage with no morals or rules to constrain him.

“In ancient dramas, when the playwright ran out of ideas, he might bring in a powerful figure who would use magic to solve all problems and bring the play to a conclusion. The figure usually descended onto the stage from above, through pulleys and ropes: a machine. It was a poor way to solve a problem. And, in this case, I’m afraid that you, Cooper, and perhaps I, have the potential for being that.

“Do you remember what I said about Cooper winning games too easily? I think that applies to us all—to our civilization. I think that even if we could solve all the problems of our age, we would not be doing our age a favor.

“On the other hand, I think we—mostly you—can help our civilization without being a spoiler, by writing stories that will help people know that there is Evil, that Evil people will always try to gain advantage over Good, that Evil will wage war with Good. I think that you can help by writing stories that inspire people to work for, and fight for that which is Good.”

 

Alexis and Rudy cuddled while Rudy read aloud the Old Elvish of the Book of Heroes. “This is the part about where I met Arthur and George, and their companions,” he said. “Sam and I were on the way to Agium to take a birth gift to Sam’s sister. We were stranded at an inn by a snowstorm for, oh, days and days. I still remember the first night, though.

Neither Sam nor Rudy saw their own room that night. All the boys were glad for each other’s company. The storm through which they had ridden gained intensity, and each of the boys woke more than once, to be glad for the closeness of the others.”

Rudy read to the end of the page. “That’s where we left. They were going east; Sam and I continued west. Oh!” Rudy turned the page, and read, “ ‘What—’ George interrupted. He held his left arm out horizontally, the palm turned down. It was the signal to stand silently. From the mountain, in front of them, a barely audible, deep rumbling became louder, and then stopped. Moments later, a white cloud rose into the sky and sparkled when it reached the sunlight.

“ ‘Avalanche,’ George said, finally, breaking the silence. ‘Wonder if it’s blocked the road.’

“I couldn’t know that!” Rudy said. “I shouldn’t be able to open . . .”

“But you did,” Alexis said. “You broke the spell there. I felt it. Why, do you think?”

“Because it’s something you already know; because it’s something I need to know; because, because there is chaos in the universe, otherwise there would be no place for free will. For all of these reasons, and more,” Rudy said.

Alexis nodded. “I’ve had a long time to think about that question,” he said. “And managed to come up with only two answers. You found three, including the best one, instantly. Are you sure you’re just a boy?”

Rudy giggled, and then turned the page and continued reading.

An hour or so later, he exclaimed, “Alexis! Look!” Rudy held out the book. “It says that a powerful mage was watching and guiding Arthur and his companions.”

Alexis read the passage.

In a nondescript stone house on the edge of an unnamed elven village, a mage put a mirror face down on his workbench. “You saw?” he asked his apprentice. The boy nodded. The mage continued. “They have reached a point beyond which I cannot guide them. They must now go their own way.”

“So, what Arthur thought was destiny was actually a person?” Rudy asked.

“I’m not sure it’s as simple as that,” Alexis said. “It’s pretty clear that people who are Good and people who are Evil do generate a force that provides energy for Good and Evil things to happen. It’s also important, when you wrote this—or will write this—you chose the Old Elvish word meaning to guide rather than to force or to lead or even, to take. That leaves open the question of how pervasive was this mage’s direction.

“The real question, I think, is this: is this mage watching us? Is he watching the boys at the castle? My guess is that his intentions are Good. Is he another joker? Is he a catspaw of someone even more powerful? Is this becoming circular?” Alexis laughed. “We could spend the rest of eternity asking these questions!”

Alexis then asked a rhetorical question. “Are we cats-paws? The only way to begin to answer that is to complete the book. However, I think we’ve learned—and shared—all we can, here. It’s time to move on.”

“To Barrone?” Rudy asked.

“Yes, but with a stop in Bowling Green. Oh, it’s on our way, and we will stay only long enough to rest Orion, and get you your own horse.”

Alexis read Rudy’s face. “You look disappointed.”

Rudy smiled. “I like it when you hold me when we’re riding. But you’re right. If we’re going to travel a long way, I should have my own horse. Do you suppose it will be a Clydesdale?”

 

James Returns to the Castle

Lunch at the castle was an informal affair. The kitchen staff set out a buffet of meat, cheese, bread, and fruit. People came and went on their own schedule. Rudy and Alexis were surprised, then, when they found a table set for a dozen people. When they entered the dining room, one of the soldiers asked them to go there.

Alan rose as they approached. “Alexis, Rudy! James and Greyeyes have returned! I thought you might want to meet them over a meal. Less formal, that way, don’t you think?”

Alexis nodded. Rudy, however, simply said, “James! We’ve met! At the inn, you were traveling with an elven boy. It’s been a few years. Perhaps you don’t remember.”

James stood and hugged Rudy. “Oh, but I do remember. It was at an inn that was there one moment, and not the next. Not likely that I’d ever forget that. I remember, too, that you felt Kenneth’s blessing.”

Rudy returned James’s hug. “Kenneth?” he asked. “Oh, I’m sorry!” he added when he sensed sorrow from James.

James smiled. “It’s okay, Rudy. You must have felt that, hmm?”

Rudy nodded; James continued. “Kenneth was summoned to his father’s home, and from there to the court of the King of Elvenhold. He travels with stout and powerful companions, so I am not concerned for his safety. Still, I do miss him.

“Now,” James asked. “Who is your companion?”

Rudy introduced Alexis; James introduced Greyeyes.

Over lunch, Alexis and Rudy related what was appropriate to say in public. “We’ll fill in some details in private,” Alexis concluded.

Copyright © 2013 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 9
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..