Jump to content
    David McLeod
  • Author
  • 2,222 Words
  • 1,673 Views
  • 6 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Thermai Vignettes - 1. Chapter 1: Vignette 1: Children in Slavery

There was some buzz in the cafeteria. I did not associate it with me until Linden giggled, and covered his mouth and then his face. He saw my puzzlement, blushed, and said, “They’re wondering why someone who is so much opposed to child slavery is having lunch with a kid, and if you are fucking me.”

Vignette 1: Children in Slavery

 

Barry Stern, EdD, PhD, pressed the remote controller. The last slide faded from the screen. The audience seemed restless, but he asked, “Are there any questions?”

There were none. Was it because his presentation was the last one before the lunch break? Was it because his presentation was of no interest? Was it because his presentation was too disturbing to be believed even by the people who were attending this United Nations conference?

Barry pressed the button that brought up the house lights, and watched as people bustled from the auditorium. His seminar on child slavery had been fairly well attended—the aisles were crowded as people left their seats, and the auditorium emptied slowly—yet it seemed to Barry that he had made little impression on the delegates.

He sighed, pulled the flash drive with his PowerPoint® slides from the slot on the lectern, and gathered up his notes. He almost missed the gentle cough that came from a few feet away. When he looked up, he saw a boy dressed in what appeared to be a school uniform: navy blue shorts, white knee socks above highly-polished black shoes, white shirt, and a tie with a regimental stripe.

“Sir? I have a question, please,” the boy said.

Barry stuffed his laptop and notes into his briefcase and then said, “Sure. Whatever.” He gestured toward the now empty auditorium. “Didn’t take them long to leave.” Something resonated in Barry’s mind and he knew he’d said the wrong thing to the boy.

“I’m sorry. I don’t mean it that way,” Barry said. “I mean that whatever question you have, I will try to answer.”

The boy nodded. “Thank you, sir. I was taught to doubt everything, for doubt leads to questioning, and only if one questions, can one learn. Please don’t take this the wrong way, but, are there really 150 million child slaves in the world, or is that just something you say to get funding?”

Barry was startled. Not because of the question—he’d been asked that before—but because it came from someone so young.

“Yes,” he said. “There are. But if you had been able to see my whole program, including the parts they wouldn’t let me show, you would know that slavery means different things. Some people consider children in India, who are working off debts inherited from their parents to be slaves. I couldn’t say that, or I’d have offended the delegation from India. Some consider boys in Bangladesh, who are often apprenticed at the age of 13, to be slaves until they are 18 years old. I couldn’t say that, or I’d have offended the delegation from Bangladesh—all one of him.

“Some consider children in California and Florida who work—often with their parents and siblings—in the agricultural fields bringing cheap produce to the tables of America to be slaves. Obviously, I can’t say that, or I’d lose my tenure at a California university. If I lost that, I’d lose what little platform and what little influence I have. Some people consider the child-soldiers of the Sahel to be slaves. I could probably say that, but saying that, in isolation from all the rest, would have painted a distorted picture.

“Before I can answer your question, we have to have an understanding about exactly what slavery is.”

The boy in the school uniform nodded. “I understand. Peter Abelard also told us to be precise in our use of words, and to demand precision from others.

“May we talk for a while?”

Barry looked around the now-empty auditorium and then chuckled.

“I have no more presentations, and I’m not sure I will learn anything I don’t already know from the seminars and programs that are left on the schedule. Yes, we can talk.

“I haven’t had lunch, though. Can you join me in the cafeteria? Oh, and what’s your name?”

“I am Linden,” the boy replied. “And I would very much like lunch! Does this cafeteria have pizza?”

* * * * *

There was some buzz in the cafeteria. I did not associate it with me until Linden giggled, and covered his mouth and then his face. He saw my puzzlement, blushed, and said, “They’re wondering why someone who is so much opposed to child slavery is having lunch with a kid, and if you are fucking me.”

I was shocked both by what Linden said and by the language he used to say it. I addressed the easier of the two.

“Linden, there are many ways of expressing what we want to say without using vulgar terms—”

“You mean, like ‘fucking,’” he said.

“Exactly!” I replied. My lips were now set in a straight line, and my brow was furrowed.

Linden turned pale, and then looked down at his plate and said, “I am sorry. I will learn. Thank you for instructing me.”

That pretty much deflated the balloon of my anger. But it didn’t answer the question in my mind: how did he know what the others were thinking? I was sure he spoke from knowledge. And, Linden seemed to know what I was thinking.

“I know what they are thinking about you—and us—” he said, “because . . .”

There was a long pause. I waited. In fact, I out-waited Linden, who finally said, “I don’t know how to say it.”

“You just say the words,” I said. “If I believe you, it’s easy. If I don’t believe you, then it’s either because you’re not telling the truth or because I’m too stupid to understand the truth. In either case, we walk away. If I believe you, then we move on to the next step.”

Linden then said words that I had a really hard time understanding, much less believing. Seems that Linden was a tree. Or that he lived in a tree. A linden tree, naturally. I remembered unter dem Linden from somewhere, although I’d never seen a linden tree—at least, not seen one and known what it was. Not much difference between being a tree and living in one, from where I was sitting.

Seems that Linden had been given a mission by some really powerful dude named Lucas to find out how to get help for children who were being hurt. “ . . .children who are being hurt in this reality,” Linden had said. I wasn’t sure what he meant, and figured it was just the way he talked.

I thought carefully as he spoke, and decided that I should probably believe him. His story was fanciful, but it hung together too well not to be true. It was just too complicated and consistent to be the imagination of someone that young.

When he finished, I asked, “What do you want from me?” ’Cause I knew he wanted something.

“It’s not just me, sir,” he said. “It’s the guy I work for and it’s a bunch of other people. It’s really hard to understand. Will you come with me to meet some of them?”

I thought about the schedule for the rest of the UN convocation. I had no more presentations, and nothing on the schedule interested me. It was perhaps with a little show me attitude from my upbringing in Missouri that I said, “Sure, whatever.”

I stood and reached for my tray, but suddenly was no longer in the cafeteria in Stockholm. I was standing on the patio of a white, marble house surrounded by ancient oak trees. Linden was no longer wearing a school uniform, but a longish T-shirt, cinched at the waist, and sandals. Another kid, perhaps a couple of years older than Linden, and who was wearing the same kind of clothes, walked toward me, with his hand extended.

“Dr. Stern? I’m Lucas. Thank you for coming.”

* * * * *

Lucas’ questions about children in slavery continued from where Linden’s had left off. I answered as well as I could.

“Most Americans don't know that the out-of-season fruits and vegetables they eat are picked by child slave labor in countries from South America to Australia to America, itself—yes, the USA, and mostly California and Florida.”

“Would it make a difference if they knew?” Lucas asked.

“Probably not. Almost 75% of USA Americans identify themselves as Christians. They seem to have lost sight of what that means. Many of them are so involved in the notion that as Christians they are so far above the lesser races—especially the non-white races—on the Great Chain of Being, that those races are not worthy of their notice, much less their concern.

“As long as the child slaves are dark-skinned, they’re of little consequence,” I said.

“Dr. Stern, we—”

“Lucas, please forgive me for interrupting,” I interrupted. “You have introduced yourself as Lucas. I think you are much older and wiser than you appear. Please, call me Barry.”

Lucas smiled. “Thank you, Barry, I will be happy to do that.

“Barry, we—and we means not only the dryads like Linden, but others including people you will meet in time—we have determined that we must address the abuse of children that exists on your world. One problem we have is what to do with the children we rescue.

“We are few but powerful. However, our powers do not seem to fit this problem. We need allies, people in your world who can arrange homes for these children. We need people who will not abuse them, but who will nurture them.”

Lucas sat back in his chair. I was afraid, more afraid than I’d been when Linden teleported me to this world. More afraid than I’d ever been.

“Lucas,” I whispered. “I cannot do this.”

“Why not?” Lucas asked. His eyes . . . his eyes seemed to bore into my soul.”

“You know, don’t you?” I asked. “You can see . . . why, then, do you ask me?”

Lucas repeated his question as if he’d not heard what I said. “Why not?”

“Because I’m a goddamned pedophile!” I shouted. “I try . . . I try so hard to . . . to kill that with my work. I try to . . . You must . . . you have to know I got excited when Linden said the other delegates wondered if I were fucking him . . . I almost . . .”

Lucas was smiling.

“What is so funny?” I asked. I pushed my anger deep into the recesses of my mind. My voice was calm, level. I thought of ice cubes, and tried to make my voice cold.

“Linden knew all this before he spoke to you the first time. He knew, but like all the dryads, he’s a terrible tease.”

“What?” The world was spinning around me, and I barely held on to reality, or whatever passed for reality in this place.

“Linden, like most of the dryads, is more than a thousand years old. Second, Linden knew that you were attracted to boys. That’s why he selected the outfit he wore. It was from one of your fantasies, was it not?”

Lucas didn’t give me a chance to reply before he continued. “Linden also knew that he was safe with you. He knew, with absolute certainty, that you would not hurt him. I knew as well that he was safe, or I’d never have allowed him to take on this mission.

“You would never hurt a boy—”

“But, I have,” I whispered. “I have.”

“Arthur,” Lucas said.

I nodded my head, and then began crying. I could not speak, but I knew Lucas took my actions to be a yes.

“Arthur was not a child; he was an eighteen-year-old high school dropout living on the streets. Arthur was looking for comfort,” Lucas said, and I knew he was speaking from sure knowledge. “But Arthur didn’t know what that meant. He didn’t know what he was looking for. You gave him one form of comfort: you took him into your bed.

“But you also took him into your heart. You helped him pass his GED. You helped him make a successful application to university. You helped him qualify for financial aid. You did the things his family could not do, because they were unequipped and unwilling. It was he, and not you, who cut the cord that bound you. You did not abandon him. When he left you, he was prepared to fly on his own, to survive and to flourish.

“For years, you have felt guilty for abandoning him. Your guilt is misplaced. He is happy, he is successful, and he named his first son for you.”

My throat tightened, and I could not speak. More tears clouded my eyes, and I could not see. I felt arms surround me, hold me, hug me. I thought they were Lucas’ arms but when I regained self-control, I realized they were Linden’s.

 

Chapter End Note: The conditions of children described, above, are real and reflective of the reality in which you are reading this. Google terms such as “child slavery” to overwhelm yourself with data.

These vignettes and short stories are a continuation of “Prometheus Wakens,” which can be found among David McLeod’s stories on the www.gayauthors.org web site. The reader may find it useful to read those chapters, first.

As on all Earth Analogues and in all realities, “boy” refers to a young male of the age of consent.

There was some buzz in the cafeteria. I did not associate it with me until Linden giggled, and covered his mouth and then his face. He saw my puzzlement, blushed, and said, “They’re wondering why someone who is so much opposed to child slavery is having lunch with a kid, and if you are fucking me.”

Copyright © 2014 David McLeod; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Sorry David. This one seems like you're giving absolution to a pedophile. In my opinion, there is none and if there were, it's not yours to give. I'll be avoiding this portion of your series.

Link to comment

Hi

I'm not sure where you got your information but Australia has some of the strictest labour laws in the world. There is no systematic use of children for any sort of labour in Australia. It's likely some families with farms have their children helping out but nothing like what you describe. It is much more likely in the USA.

Link to comment

I won't try to review. I am intrigued and looking forward to more. However, I am puzzled by Ricky's review. Three words spring to mind. Judgement, sanctimony, guilt?

Link to comment
On 08/07/2014 07:45 AM, ricky said:
Sorry David. This one seems like you're giving absolution to a pedophile. In my opinion, there is none and if there were, it's not yours to give. I'll be avoiding this portion of your series.
Ricky,

 

Please do not be sorry: I value your candor and insight. The error is mine.

 

To me, "GED" and "at least 18 years old" go together. That is obviously not correct. Once again, I make assumptions.

 

I've added a clarifying sentence: "Arthur was not a child; he was an eighteen-year-old high school dropout living on the streets. "

 

Thank you, again.

 

David

Link to comment
On 08/07/2014 10:45 PM, stanollie said:
I won't try to review. I am intrigued and looking forward to more. However, I am puzzled by Ricky's review. Three words spring to mind. Judgement, sanctimony, guilt?
Please take a look at my reply to Ricky. I understand what you've said. The issue is far more complex.
Link to comment
On 08/07/2014 08:55 AM, seanthomas said:
Hi

I'm not sure where you got your information but Australia has some of the strictest labour laws in the world. There is no systematic use of children for any sort of labour in Australia. It's likely some families with farms have their children helping out but nothing like what you describe. It is much more likely in the USA.

Thank you for defending Australia.

 

I do not want to offend my friends in Australia, and have a great respect for that country and its people. [For example, see the thread that runs through “0300 Book 3.” The Australians, and in particular an Australian Cadet are portrayed heroically, I think.]

 

It has been my experience, and the results of my research show, that the Australia of this reality has a cultural norm that strongly opposes child labour and child trafficking for sexual purposes, and, in fact, instances of both are rare.

 

That is well documented, I think, in a legal research guide from the New South Wales State Library:

Australia:

http://www.unicef.org.au/Media/Media-Releases/August-2012/Child-Labour--not-ok-in-Australia,-not-ok-anywhere.aspx

 

A more current article, without specifics, from the University of Adelaide addresses only the lack of a regulatory framework:

http://www.adelaide.edu.au/news/news61881.html

[if Australia has signed that convention, I’d very much like to hear of it.]

 

For a historical perspective of a sad chapter in history, read and follow references in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_Children

 

I largely ignore articles which include fundraising appeals as it has been my experience that they exaggerate even more than I do.

 

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention and allowing me an opportunity to reply.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..