Jump to content
    dlyuong
  • Author
  • 4,432 Words
  • 1,048 Views
  • 2 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Iarians - A New Age - 2. Chapter 1 - Introduction

Chapter 1 - Introduction

"SO WE'RE ALL decided then. We're getting Choirboy drunk and loosened up tonight," Professor Dennis Kjorn asked from the university's school of classics at the assembled group of friends in his office. He studied each one of them. The group was unusual in that it was composed of professors from different disciplines and university departments.

The oldest amongst them was Professor John Kauffman, head of the Business and Law school who was gracefully seated in one of the swivel chairs before his desk who though in his mid-forties still retained his youthful good looks and vigour. Beside him was Professor Jessica Smith, who at twenty seven was already a renowned biologist and botanist. Leaning against the wall were Doctor Lydia Bennett from the school of medicine and her boyfriend Terry Bannon from the science department.

The only person missing from their usual group was the youngest and newest member, Professor Karl 'Choirboy' Adler who had only recently accepted a position in the university teaching business and economics. Incidentally, he was also the current subject of their meeting. Dennis, the party boy and gossip of the group felt that even though the young man was friendly and helpful, he was unusually uptight and reserved. While they had gone out together on several social outings, they had yet to see Karl loosen up and go wild.

"I say let's go for it," said Jess enthusiastically. She added with a grin, "I'd like to see him really lose it."

Kauffman snorted with mock disdain, though he could not keep the amused twinkle in his eye. "Decorum, please remember decorum. We are professors and full grown adults and should act accordingly. Christ, the way you all act sometimes, you'd swear you're all still in college, or worse, like Americans." He could not resist adding the last bit in to rile up Dennis, an American who usually reacted indignantly and tried to defend his nationality.

Dennis sniffed and replied in an injured tone, "At least I'm not some tight arsed Englishman with a stick up his ass."

"An ass is a donkey, Yank. You can't even speak English properly, I wonder how you even got tenure in the first place."

They broke out with laughter at the old and regularly used insults. Before they could continue, Jess said, "Oh give it up already, Dennis. You're an alien in a foreign land, you're weird end of story. Can we please get back to Choirboy?"

"Yes, yes, yes. Alright, this is what we're gonna do." He went on to lay out his devious plan for the night.

*****

PROFESSOR KARL ADLER let out a heavy sigh of relief as the last student begging him for additional marks for a passing grade on the assignment finally left his chamber for lunch. While his passion for economics and business studies was a great joy to him and was extremely fulfilling, he was finding some aspects of the teaching job especially challenging when it came to dealing with difficult students.

A knock on his door caused him to stiffen with dread but he was relieved when the visitor turned out to be his colleague and friend, Dennis. Seeing his friend's harried expression, Dennis laughed and said, "More sob stories from students of their poor departed relatives, or has there been a sudden outbreak of mysterious ailments and afflictions suddenly plaguing half our student population?"

Karl let out an amused huff and replied, "Most likely long and sultry nights of indulgence and debauchery. What do you want?" Karl asked with a tired tone, using his knuckles to knead the bridge of his nose.

"Come on, Choirboy. I know the perfect remedy for you," Dennis said.

"Oh, and what's that? And I do wish you'd stop calling me that. I was never one for religion and I can count the number of times I've been to church on one hand, much less been a choirboy."

"Several pints and a good shag, later tonight. Also, I can't help it. You're such an innocent that I can't resist the temptation to lead you astray from the straight and narrow. I keep trying to picture you looking debauched and wasted," was the cheeky reply.

Karl laughed at his friend's hedonistic ways and said with a slightly disapproving shake of his head, "How typical. But I'm afraid I have to pass. I have a class later and I have to get to the dojo. Also, I have to finish my book before the publisher has my head."

"Oh, come on, your class ends at seven. You can go back and get a bath before we go out," Dennis playfully whined before continuing, "Also, your book can wait. Bah, economics, God that's so damn boring. Come on, let's go to the club."

"Economics is boring?" Karl said with a sniff of disdain. "As opposed to poring through dusty tomes of classical texts and reading about of all things, history," the last word was said with a theatrical shiver of disgust.

Dennis laughed and protested, "Hey, I'll have you know that the classics and history are the most important subjects taught in this university. Besides, you also learned Greek and Latin in Grammar school."

Karl let out a depreciative chuckle, "Let me share with you a secret, mate. Latin is dead. When will you ever get to use it? Unlike economics and business studies."

Dennis suddenly realised where the conversation was heading and immediately cut him off before they would side track onto the never ending debate on the importance of the classics. He quickly segued back into the main purpose of his meeting, "Oh, no you don't."

"What?" Karl said with an innocent smile.

"You don't get to distract me out of getting you laid tonight. You've been so stressed out lately and I swear, a good boff between the sheets will do you wonders."

Karl shook his head ruefully and finally capitulated. "Fine, let's go paint the town red."

Dennis let out a triumphant yes and headed out for the door. "Pick you up at nine. Be ready, I'm gonna drag you there whether you're willing and ready or not. We're going to Deviants."

"Hold on, that's a gay bar and unless my gaydar is on the blink and you have suddenly decided to switch teams, you're terminally straight."

"Of course I'm straight, you limp queer," Dennis said with a haughty expression, though he couldn't entirely hide his smirk. "Besides, we will be each other's wingmen tonight, and there are flocks of straight and horny birds inhabiting your clubs ogling at all the hot meat, and going home disappointed. At least with me there, at least one bird won't go home alone, if you get what I mean."

Amused by his straight friend's penchant for picking up women from the gay clubs, Karl said, "Sure. Meet you then. Who else is joining us?"

"The usual gang, Lydia Bennett, Terry Bannon from, Jessica Smith from biology and John Kauffman next door," Dennis replied.

"Wait, they do know where we're going is a gay bar, don't they?" Karl asked nervously.

"Of course they do," Dennis blithely said. "Lydia and Terry are already dating, as you well know and they feel that going with us tonight would present less opportunity for temptation and straying," he said with a sly wink. It was currently the rumour around the university that their relationship was on the rocks after Lydia was found in flagrante delicto with another man in an empty classroom. "As for Jessica, you know she is a huge fag hag."

"What about Professor Kauffman?" Karl asked hesitantly.

"John is willing to subject himself to our company regardless of the setting, or so he said. Bye," he said before leaving.

Karl's heart beat faster upon hearing the last name in the list. He had been exercising remarkable self-restraint ever since he first met with his superior, Professor Kauffman who headed the Law and Business School. Having won numerous awards and published a long list of books on the modern market and banking system, the older Professor Kauffman was still a fine physical specimen despite his being in his mid-40s. His brilliant work, posh and refined manners, never condescending and always gracious had left Karl with a powerful infatuation with the man. It was a marvel that he had not jumped the man who occupied a starring role in his fantasies not only at night, but also in some rather inopportune moments. He was kidding himself. Timid and cowardly, those are adjectives that fit him perfectly. He would never be brave enough to approach the great man and he sighed with regret at what he thought of as his moral defect, his lack of confidence.

Besides, rumour had it that Professor Kauffman was formerly married with several children. There was no way he could be bent, much less be interested in Karl. Oh well, Karl decided to keep his fantasies of the man where they belonged and got back to work. All too soon, lunch was already over and he had to get ready for his next class.

*****

TIME SEEMED TO slow as Karl counted down the hours until he could leave for the day. After work, he left for the dojo where he had already attained a high dan grade. He was unable to concentrate properly during the lesson as he started to worry about how the night would enfold. He was so distracted that he was easily thrown several times by the sensei during taijutsu practice. At the end of the class, he was battered and sore.

As they were packing their belongings, Sensei Samuel bade his students good bye and answered questions from several students. Once he was done, he went up to Karl who was seated on the floor applying a strong smelling Japanese traditional liniment and furiously rubbing it onto his sore bruises. Karl grumbled under his breath, "Bastard. Damn, you didn't have to throw me so hard."

Sensei Samuel overheard him and chuckled. "It's your fault for being so distracted, you know. Besides, I have to take you down a peg or two before your head swells up too big. Rough day?"

"Yeah, sorry for being so clumsy earlier. Lots of stuff on my mind," Karl sheepishly replied.

"No worries, but keep your head in the game next time, alright. If you were in a real fight, you'd be a goner, Karl."

"Yeah, I know. Hey, I'd like to stay and talk some more but I have an engagement later that I must prepare for. See you next week?"

"Of course. Get a long hot soak. That should bring you back into shape. At least it's the weekend."

"Thanks for the lesson, Sam." Karl then got up and left the dojo, getting onto his bike and cycling back home. At his apartment, he opened his door to the enthusiastic yips and barks of his beloved Collie, Deni and allowed her to jump onto him with her standing on her hind legs. He lovingly scratched and petted her for a while, settling down to play a short game of tug. He then entered into his small pantry to fill her bowl with food to which she set to demolishing with noisy abandon.

Chuckling at his dog's ravenous appetite, Karl quickly took a hot shower to wash away the smell of sweat and the strong liniment. He then eyed his meagre closet and with a sniff of disgust started rummaging through its miserably limited contents.

At the end, he finally decided on his best pair of faded jeans, the tightest he had which he felt truly maximised his assets along with a tight black T-shirt which he topped with the fancy leather jacket he had. It was his first time wearing the jacket which he had bought several years ago, and he felt less regretful about the purchase now that it is no longer a waste of money. He did feel uncertain however as to whether it suited him, or whether it made him a pretentious lame-wannabe-cool-kid the real cool kids would laugh at. His history as a school bookworm and the cruel taunts of his peers had left an indelible mark on his self-esteem.

Observing himself with a harshly critical eye in a mirror, he chanted to himself, "You're a virile, hot and highly desirable man. You will not disgrace yourself before the greatest and most eminent mind in the world. Professor Kauffman is just a guy. You will act cool, calm and casual..." he managed to get out before breaking out again in flustered panic. "Oh god, oh god, he's gonna think me a total prat."

Deni interrupted his minor breakdown when she came to him with her leash in her mouth, dropping it at his feet, tail wagging and eager for their evening walk. Karl looked down guiltily at her and said, "Sorry girl, I'm going out for the night."

The intelligent dog's eager eyes turned reproachful and she whined piteously. "I promise I will make it up to you tomorrow," he said but she did not stop looking up at him with those sad eyes. Finally caving in, he sighed and headed for the dog treats he kept for occasions like these when he had to placate his beloved companion. After all, he was not above a little bribery and Deni was all too easy to please with the treats.

Her tail started to wag wildly when she noticed Karl heading towards the container where he keeps her treats. She sat down restlessly when she really wanted to jump on him. When Karl offered it to her, she gently took it from him like the pure-bred lady that she was. He then bent and gave her a rough rub which she enjoyed thoroughly.

Deni's ears pricked forward and she suddenly started barking and pawing at the front door. Sure enough, a car horn from outside broke the silence in his apartment. Quickly mussing his hair once again and taking a final look in the mirror, he mustered his confidence and went to open the door, pushing the nosy Collie away from the door to ensure she didn't slip out.

Everyone was crammed into Dennis' car with Professor Kauffman at the wheel as he was the designated driver for the night. Squeezing into the back seat, he said his greetings and exchanged light conversation with the others and settled in for the ride to town.

The drive was slightly uncomfortable as there was a bit of tension and the terse conversation between Lydia and Terry. Throughout the drive, Karl could have sworn that Professor Kauffman's eyes strayed towards him in the rear view mirror, though whenever he thought he felt his gaze, he would find the professor was busy studying the surrounding traffic. He dismissed this as being mere fancy however. Most likely his infatuation with the professor was causing him to delude himself as to the professor's interest in him.

At the club, Kauffman dropped them off as he went to find parking for the van. Entering the club, Karl once again felt overwhelmed by the ear-splitting noise and bright lasers and lights of the club. They headed towards an empty table and settled down, waving and flagging Kauffman when they saw him enter and he joined them at the table. Ordering several shots, Dennis, the insatiable party boy set about making Karl especially drunk. Karl tried to resist but it was futile against Dennis. Everyone else appeared to be conspiring with Dennis in his mission to loosen Karl up, making more and more elaborate toasts to force him to drink.

Even Professor Kauffman joined in and made a toast, though he responsibly stuck to his single pint of beer, "To the youngest and newest addition to our faculty, one word of advice. Life is short and youth should be savoured. So..." he left a pregnant pause before concluding with a laugh, "Bottoms up." Karl started to blush a bright red for which he was teased by the others. Even so, he felt warm and happy at the welcome he received at the university and to hide his embarrassment quickly downed his shot of whisky which brought about a violent fit of coughing to the cheers and laughter of his friends.

Before long, Lydia and Terry had already left the table and were dancing together on the dance floor. Dennis continued to ply Karl with drinks until he was high and slightly tipsy.

Once Karl started laughing inanely, Dennis knew that he was sufficiently loose that he started to drag Karl to the dance floor. Karl tried to protest but knew that he was going to cave eventually. With the lowered inhibitions and the Dutch courage he got from the alcohol, he took a risk and invited Professor Kauffman for a dance. "Professor," he said offering a hand in invitation, "would you dance with me?"

The table broke out in whistles and jeers. Professor Kauffman replied, "No thanks. You go ahead."

Feeling rejected, Karl gathered his tattered pride and pasted an unconcerned smile on his face and joined Dennis on the dance floor. Once out of Kauffman's vicinity, his smile dropped. He saw Dennis waving towards him and went towards him. He caught the end of Dennis' talk with another man who was dancing next to him, "Sorry I'm not gay, but my friend here is," he said before throwing an arm around Karl and guiding him towards the other man who had turned toward him and was offering a smile at him.

"Alex, Karl; Karl, Alex." Dennis quickly introduced and added, "There, that's my wingman duty done. Now, I'm going to conquer some uncharted brunette territory," pointing towards a group of women huddled together giggling and people watching. He gave Karl a lecherous grin before heading off towards his target leaving Karl shaking his head in mock disapproval.

Karl took in the other man and appreciated the man's impressive physique and smile. Alex placed his hands on Karl's hips and drew them closer together. High from the alcohol and without the usual feelings of self-consciousness, Karl started to follow the larger man's lead. Before long, Alex had them pressed together as close as possible and was grinding against him enthusiastically, writhing on the dance floor to the beat of the music.

*****

"YOU ONLY HAVE yourself to blame, you know," Jess said with a reproving look at her best friend, having noticed his hungry gaze trained like a hawk on Karl Adler.

"What?" John asked distractedly. They were alone at the table, having been abandoned by the others.

"Why did you turn him down earlier when you know that you want to be the one grinding against that delectable piece of arse over there?" Jess blithely continued.

John pointedly refused to look at her and replied, "It wouldn't be proper. I'm his superior, head of the law and business department; I can't just ask him out. That would be sexual harassment and you know it."

"Oh please. I've seen the yearning looks he sends your way. Believe me, that boy is wanting you bad. And notwithstanding the chivalrous, honourable reasons for turning down the boy down, the least you could have done was let him down gently instead of being a right bastard with his foot in his mouth. Didn't you see how disappointed he was?"

"Firstly, he's not a boy, he's a man," John quickly defended. "Besides, he's only twenty-six while I'm forty-five."

"Forty-seven, dear," she cruelly returned with a wry smile.

"Alright, forty-seven," John grudgingly bit out through clenched teeth. "All the more reason not to get involved with him. I'm twenty-one years his senior. I could be his father, for Chrissakes. Also, being a bastard was best, you know, kill off any misplaced affection he may have for me."

"Suit yourself then. Don't come crying on me shoulder when he goes home with that drool-worthy hunk he's practically having sex with on the dance floor."

"They're not having sex!" John said resentfully. He continued staring at the couple on the dance floor, his hand clenching into a fist as his possessive male instincts riled him up.

"Oh, fuck it!" John darkly cursed before downing his drink. "And you can stuff it," he said to the grinning Jess before heading determinedly towards the young man who was his and his alone.

"Men, like stealing candy from a baby," Jess muttered to herself with an amused snort. She got a real kick out of manipulating the poor bloke. "Go get him, tiger," she cheered him on.

*****

Karl was having the time of his life dancing with Alex. Alex was much larger and dominant and he felt comfortable following the larger man's lead. Karl suddenly stiffened when he felt someone staring at him and looked towards the source of the regard. He caught Professor Kauffman staring at him with an intense and hungry gaze.

At the table, Kauffman quickly downed large sip of the beer he was nursing and unexpectedly started walking towards Karl with a determined look on his face. Karl looked up at him in surprise.

"May I cut in," Kauffman said when he reached them. He placed a strong and possessive hand on Karl's arm and dragged him away without waiting for an answer. Professor Kauffman's firm grip on Karl's arm felt like a heated vise. Alex protested and looked belligerently at Kauffman but nodded and reluctantly turned away to find someone else for the night.

Karl was led through the crowded dance floor and out of the bar. The sudden transition from the Kauffman suddenly stopped and turned towards him such that Karl's momentum led him straight into the older man. Kauffman just put his arm around Karl's waist and drew him closer and held him there. Karl's arms awkwardly straightened as he didn't know how to react to this latest development.

"Professor?" asked Karl with a stunned expression, looking up at the object of his affection with a mixture of hopeful expectation and part apprehension. In his arms at last, he thought dreamily.

Professor Kauffman was silent for a moment, staring pensively at the mixture of expressions on Karl's face, enjoying the feeling of closeness and intimacy they shared, holding the precious young man in his arms. He finally broke the silence asking, "Why do you call me Professor, when I have asked you to call me John?

"It's... I did not think it proper, sir. I mean, with you being my superior and all, sir." Karl said with a gulp.

Professor Kauffman's face took on an agonised expression and he said in a low and sad voice, "Is that all you think of me, Karl? As your boss and nothing more?"

Karl sputtered and quickly tried to backtrack. At this stage, honesty was truly called for and he answered in a timid voice. "No, I... I really, really like you. You're brilliant, hot, kind, generous and an amazing person in general. I just can't bring myself to call you by your first name because I did not think you felt anything more than friendship for me. Calling, no thinking of you as Professor Kauffman would ensure that there is a proper distance between us. It is not that I don't want to be closer to you, heavens no."

"Then what, dear?" Kauffman's voice turned soft and affectionate.

"It was self-preservation. Keeping you at a safe distance meant I would not become too attached to you. It means I won't lose my heart to you." Karl paused awhile before adding in a whisper, "But I'm afraid it is already too late for that. I'm already very taken with you."

Professor Kauffman took this in silently and Karl shifted with unease as he nervously waited for his response to his declaration. The professor continued to regard him with a piercing gaze. Suddenly, he brought one hand from around Karl's waist and cupped the back of his head and drew Karl in closer to him. He delivered a devouring kiss that overwhelmed Karl and caused him to gasp in surprise. The professor took the opportunity to stick his tongue into his mouth, duelling with his tongue and exploring thoroughly.

Karl was taken aback for a second. This is happening... it's really happening. Oh my god, Professor Kauffman is kissing me! There really is a god after all, he thought happily to himself before surrendering the last of his consciousness to the all-consuming mauling he was receiving and he enthusiastically returned the passion. Professor Kauffman was also larger and taller than him, his kiss was demanding and dominating and Karl was heady with pleasure, submitting easily to the larger man's mind-blowing passion.

Suddenly, the kiss was broken as Professor Kauffman drew their mouths apart. Karl moaned and immediately tried to reach back towards the professor's enticing lips. Professor Kauffman drew back slightly, though he kept his forehead against Karl's, their eyes gazing directly at each other. "John," he whispered.

"Huh?" Karl could only ask with bleary eyes and a dazed look, too lost in passion to process the exchange.

"Call me John. No more Professor Kauffman nonsense, it's such a bloody mouthful," he complained with a smile aimed at him. "Know that I feel just as strongly for you as you do me."

"John," Karl breathlessly whispered the name, his heart bursting with happiness.

"Say my name again, babe," John said with great tenderness, the term of endearment slipping out felt natural and proper. Suddenly, the name Karl or Adler were no longer sufficient to be used to address his beloved.

"John," Karl rolled out his name again, stronger and laced with all he felt.

"Would you like to come home with me later, babe?" John hesitantly asked.

Karl did not answer. He did not need to answer, his beatific smile was answer enough for him. John gently took his hand and led him back into the club and onto the dance floor.

*****

 

2013 D.L. Yuong; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..