Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Dandelion - 1. Dandelion

Dandelion

by

Dolores Esteban

 

  

Dandelion swept into the room. His black coat swayed with every step that he took. Everybody stopped talking. And people looked at him. Dandelion nodded cheerfully and smiled a playful smile.

"I’m terribly late. I’m so sorry," he said, looking from one to the other.

Neither of the party guests responded, however. They turned back to their conversations at once.

Dandelion’s face hardened. His face showed a pout. Jayden Robinson finally approached him.

"Have you been invited?" Jayden asked with a wicked smile.

"I certainly won’t miss your birthday party," Dandelion said, still pouting a bit.

"I didn’t invite you for a particular reason," Jayden said drily. "You ruined my last birthday party with your eccentric demeanour. Tell me, have you forgotten, Dandelion?"

Dandelion just smiled.

"I was the first to come and the last to go," he said. "You had lots of fun with me being around."

Jayden looked him up and down. A few of the guests watched them furtively. Jayden smiled at them politely until they turned their eyes away.

"They are so downright uptight," Dandelion said. "I don’t understand why you invited them and left me out instead."

"Those men are in a position to further my career. I have a reputation to lose with you around, Dandelion," Jayden said coldly.

"Too late anyway," Dandelion said with an arrogant smile. "Your servant, this moron, he let me in. I showed him last year’s invitation card. The man did not check the date, apparently. I dare say you should dismiss him."

Jayden nodded at a couple gazing at them. They nodded back and then turned their eyes away.

"Elliot Moore, director of a bank," Jayden said in a low voice and a self-contended smile.

Dandelion gave a laugh.

"So this has become of you. You’re a people pleaser. I can’t believe it. I once adored you."

Jayden once again smiled and nodded at his guests before he turned back to Dandelion.

"You are mistaken. You adored just an image. An image that you created yourself. You never took the trouble to really get to know me," he said in a cold and sober voice.

Dandelion frowned and his smile disappeared.

"You’re a god-damned liar," Dandelion replied.

Jayden reached out and touched Dandelion’s elbow.

"I’ll show you out," he said very kindly.

Dandelion looked entirely perplexed for a second. His face hardened. Then he turned around abruptly.

"I’ll find my way out," he said in a cold voice. And then Dandelion swept out of the room.

Jayden looked after him until the door fell shut. He turned back to his guests and cast an amiable smile. Finally, Jayden approached Elliot Moore and the director’s overdressed wife.

 
~~**~~
 

Outside, Dandelion stood in the empty street. It was dark and it started to rain. Dandelion wrapped his coat tightly around himself because of the drizzle and the cold autumn wind. He bit his lip and again he frowned. Almost absent-mindedly, he watched a stray cat on the pavement. The cat turned its head to Dandelion and shot him a cold and hateful look. They measured each other. And then the cat hissed. Dandelion winced. Abruptly, he turned away and hurried down the street.

 
~~**~~
 

A week passed by. On Sunday afternoon, a carriage stopped at the city’s most frequented park. The door opened and Jayden Robinson helped a young lady climb out. He offered his arm to the plain looking woman. The woman smiled at Jayden happily and Jayden politely returned her smile. They walked arm in arm and entered the park. They walked slowly, halting every few minutes. They greeted people and people greeted them back. People whispered secretly when they had passed by the couple. A man had noticed Jayden’s elegant look. He told his wife that Jayden was wealthy. And the woman said she found it was very touching that Jayden was so attentive to his young wife. Wasn’t her name Victoria? Charlotte, her husband said. His wife shrugged and gave a brief laugh. Whatever her name was...No one really cared. But she was sure Jayden’s young wife was eight month pregnant. Her husband shrugged, and they moved on and soon had forgotten about the encounter.

 

~~**~~
 

Dandelion watched them from the distance. He sat on a bench with a book in his hands. He was dressed in his coat, and a scarf was wrapped around his neck. Dandelion felt cold despite the warm autumn sun. But he did not move and he ignored the cold. Dandelion watched Jayden and his wife walking slowly. They moved into his direction, but had not yet seen him.

Jayden suddenly straightened and gazed at Dandelion. Dandelion lowered his eyes and pretended to read. From under his lashes, he watched the couple. Jayden spoke to his wife and made a sign with his hand, apparently trying to convince his wife to turn around and go back. But Emily, which was his wife’s true name, ignored Jayden’s endeavours and moved on quickly. Jayden hesitated, but finally he followed her. Dandelion narrowed his eyes as they moved directly towards him. He was saved from the embarrassing encounter by a young man sitting down next to him.

"Hello Dandelion," the young man greeted him with a smile.

"My name is Timothy Barnes," Dandelion said as he turned his eyes to him.

The blond man looked at Dandelion with utter surprise.

"Why so? I know you under this name," he said with an innocent look.

"This name was given to me one summer evening and for a particular reason," Dandelion said icily. "That summer has passed and with it the reason. I won’t listen to that name anymore. Please, bear this in mind, Jonathan."

"You’re in a bad mood. Don’t put me in a bad mood also," Jonathan said. He pretended to frown, yet he smiled heartily.

"Look," Jonathan said. "Jayden and his wife Abigail."

"Emily," Dandelion said drily.

"Anyway," Jonathan said. "I have not yet seen Jayden in a while. But I heard that he had married a girl called Abigail."

"Yes," Dandelion said, closing his book. "He married nine months ago. He met Emily on his birthday party."

"Oh, I see," Jonathan said. "I remember the party. But I do not remember the girl."

"Anyway," Dandelion said, watching Jayden out of the corner of his eye.

Emily had turned to her husband. Jayden spoke to her and Jayden repeatedly offered his arm. Finally, Emily took it. Without looking back, they walked down the path. And despite Emily obviously protesting, Jayden constantly fastened his steps.

Jonathan laughed aloud at the scene.

"It seems to me that Jayden is on the run. I didn’t know he was a coward."

Dandelion shrugged.

"People change over time. Some for the worse and some for the better."

Dandelion and Jonathan exchanged a brief look. Dandelion rose to his feet. Jonathan looked up to him.

"Where are you going, Dandelion? Pardon me, Timothy Barnes?" he asked.

"I’ll take a step forward and not a step back," Dandelion said thoughtfully.

"A wise decision," Jonathan said as he also stood. "How about we have dinner together?"

Dandelion looked at Jonathan pensively.

"Anyway, why not," he said, more to himself than to Jonathan. He nodded briefly and put his book in his pocket.

 
~~**~~
 

This story is copyright © 2010 by Dolores Esteban. The characters, concepts, and plot are original, and are the property of the author. Distribution is prohibited without the author’s written consent.
  • Like 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

It felt like a long poem.

At least i read it like one.

Very interesting!

And i did like very much the ending!

Link to comment
On 12/27/2010 09:32 AM, AleMaho said:
It felt like a long poem.

At least i read it like one.

Very interesting!

And i did like very much the ending!

Many thanks for reading and leaving a comment. I'm glad you liked the story/poem :)
Link to comment

Love, jealousy, missed opportunities, chance and objection.

So many possibilities the mind boggles. Left to interpretation I found I wondered more than answered anything.

Funny how something as personal as someone's name can fade into insignificance in the minds of people, so easily wiping the real status or importance of one to another in the eyes of a third.

Link to comment
On 12/05/2013 09:33 PM, Yettie One said:
Love, jealousy, missed opportunities, chance and objection.

So many possibilities the mind boggles. Left to interpretation I found I wondered more than answered anything.

Funny how something as personal as someone's name can fade into insignificance in the minds of people, so easily wiping the real status or importance of one to another in the eyes of a third.

Thanks for reading and leaving a review. :)
Link to comment

Curiouser and curiouser...I'm reminded of Lewis Carroll somehow. A story as flighty as the main character. A very nice atmosphere.

Link to comment
On 03/11/2015 10:57 AM, RolandQ said:
Curiouser and curiouser...I'm reminded of Lewis Carroll somehow. A story as flighty as the main character. A very nice atmosphere.
Thank you :) Glad you liked the story.
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..