Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Secrets and Lies - 2. Jonathan Cullen (The Loss of Innocence)

Jonathan Cullen (The Loss of Innocence)

 

"Sir, I’m going to repeat my question," the stout cop said with a mischievous look. "Mister Jonathan Cullen, where have you been on Tuesday evening last week, between eight and half past eight?"

"That was one week ago. You should remember it," his companion added.

They were standing in front of my door and I gazed at them, feeling totally annoyed. The men were bothering me. I had just sat down at my desk in order to write a report. The elevator at the end of the corridor opened and I heard a woman’s laughter. A man joined in. I recognized the couple that lived in the apartment opposite of mine. My cheeks flushed. I didn’t want them to see the cops standing in my doorway. I waved the men inside and closed the door behind them.

"What do you want, detectives?" I asked.

The stout man gave a grunt. "I was asking you a simple question. I have already asked you twice. I’m going to repeat it again. Where have you been on Tuesday evening last week, between eight and half past eight o’clock?"

"Why would you want to know?" I asked back while my thoughts were running.

"I’ll tell you as soon as you have answered my question," the man replied calmly, while the second cop looked me up and down.

I made a step back and instantly scolded me for it. They probably thought that I was retreating.

"Last Tuesday..." I started. My words came slowly as if I was barely able to think and as if the sight of the cops made me nervous.

"Yes, Sir," one of the men asked. He gave me a piercing look.

"I was driving home. I had visited my mother. She had phoned me in the morning. She was feeling sick. I took her to a doctor. He prescribed her pills. When she felt better, I left and drove home," I said.

"Did anything unusual happen on the way?" the stout cop asked almost casually.

His companion shot me another piercing look, and then he lowered his eyes, opened a notebook and took notes. I gazed at the ball pen in his hand.

"Um, let me think. Well, yes, I do remember now," I said. "I saw an elderly couple on the side of the road, standing next to their car. They had a flat tire and no spare. I gave them a lift up the road to the nearest gas station. They climbed out of my car and I drove on."

The cops exchanged a look. I looked at them warily.

"Anything else?" the stout cop asked.

I shook my head. "No, Sir," I said. "Why are you asking me?"

"Because the elderly couple is dead," the cop replied calmly.

"Someone slit their throats and killed the owner of the gas station," the other cop added.

"What?" I asked in a low voice.

"They were killed between eight and half past eight. We were able to narrow down the time of the crime. The gas station has video surveillance. Your car was identified. You left at 8:17," the cop said.

I looked at the ball pen in his hand. "No way," I replied. "I didn’t kill them. They were alive when I left. At least, the elderly couple. I don’t know about the owner of the gas station, though. I stopped there only for a minute. You should have figured this out, I think. If there was video surveillance, you must have seen my car drive up the drive, stop for an instant, and then drive down the drive again."

The cops exchanged an uncomfortable look. The stout cop looked at me and straightened.

"The problem is that the video control did not work between 8 and 8:16," he said.

I gave a laugh. It was loud and mocking, but I didn’t care at all.

"Can’t you see?" I blurted out. "Someone turned the video control off while the owner of the gas station was killed. The killer turned it on again before he left. He ran into the elderly couple and killed the witnesses."

"Um, yes," the cop with the ball pen said. "It could have been like this. But the only one leaving the gas station at this time was you, driving away in your car."

I gazed at him. My lips parted slightly. The two men met my gaze calmly.

"The murderer must not necessarily have left in a car," I said in an annoyed voice. "I suspect that the video surveillance controls only the drive and the place in front of the station. He might have left by foot, crossing the land covered with brier behind the station. He perhaps parked his car in the wood that adjoins the field. I often stop at the gas station. I know how the place looks."

The cops exchanged another look.

"It was dark already. He brought a flashlight. It shouldn’t be too difficult to sneak to the station and back to the wood," I said.

"Not for someone who knows the place," the cop with the ball pen said.

I made a step back and looked between the men.

"It was a planned murder then," the stout cop said pensively.

"Apparently," I said. "The man knew how to turn off the video control. He must be totally familiar with the place."

"A former employee perhaps," the second cop mused.

"Why did he turn on the video control again? I can’t find a reasonable explanation," the stout cop said, turning his head to his companion.

The other cop shrugged. "So far, I have no idea as well," he replied. He turned to me. "Can you offer an explanation?"

"He saw a car coming up the drive and switched on the video control in order to make police suspect the driver who unfortunately was me," I said angrily.

"It doesn’t really make sense to me," the stout man said.

"Neither to me," the other cop replied.

"I’m afraid I can’t help you with this," I said. "Why should I kill the people, and then turn on the video control that records my car and thus make police suspect me? I beg you, sirs, that would be downright foolish."

The cops exchanged a look.

"Well, yes, I agree with you," one of them said. "However, you must come to the police station in order to make your statement."

I gave a brusque nod. "I’ll come tomorrow in the morning, if absolutely necessary, that is," I replied.

The cops left. I went into the living room and got me a drink. I emptied the glass in one go. Then I sat down and rubbed my hands. My plan had worked out. I smiled to myself.

The owner of the gas station was the man who had mistreated me as a child. He had lived in the neighbour house. He was a nice and kind man always. One day, he offered me to show me a new video game. I could not resist and followed him inside. Dusk had already come. An elderly couple awaited us in a room. They welcomed me warmly, and then they forced me to take off my clothes. The woman hugged me, the man stroked my body. Their hands were everywhere on and inside of my body. My neighbour recorded all on video, from beginning to end. I was six years old, but when I finally was led out of the house, I was no longer an innocent child. I felt like I was a monster. I felt so ashamed. I never told anybody of my experience.

However, I have never forgotten their faces, and when I stopped at the gas station half a year ago, I instantly recognized the new owner. He, however, failed to recognize me. Well, thirty years had passed. A long time, yet not long enough for his lucky escape.

I planned it carefully for many months. I stopped at the gas station often. I kind of made friends with the devil as you need to get your know your enemy well. One day, he explained the video control to me. I perfected my plan thereafter. I was waiting for the perfect day to put my plan into action. I felt, however, that still something was missing. But when I saw the elderly couple standing on the side of the road, I knew that my day had come.

They looked at me expectantly. They were so happy to see me coming. I saw the glee in their eyes, their joyful anticipation. However, this time they would not get away with it. No tempting me, no teasing me. I was wary and I was on the watch. No promises and no big hugs.

I gave them a lift. They were sitting on the back seats. I sensed their nervousness, their fear, their hope and their desires. Dusk had already come. The night was dark and cold. My arrival had lifted their spirits. I laughed inwardly. They had no idea of what was to come.

Why should the murderer switch on the video control after he had committed the crime? In order to blame some innocent driver. And the innocent driver was me. The video proved my innocence. I was not a monster, not a criminal. It was all recorded. I was innocent of the crime.

2013 Dolores Esteban
  • Like 1
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..