Jump to content
    Emraell
  • Author
  • 1,040 Words
  • 570 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Order - 2. Chapter 2

Year 2018 - The Holy Capital, Vatican City

"Pope Gregory brought changes to our battle with the Rebellion. By increasing the budget on military spending, the Order managed to free the Rebel Settlement New York. The increase in military spending also allowed the Research and Development Division to produce the 3rd generation Crusaders-"

Ring!

"Class dismissed. Your homework is to read up on the Battle at the Sistine Chapel. Page 162 in your textbook."
"Yes, sir," the class chorused.

The name is Zach. I moved here with my family just after the First War between the Rebels and the Order began four years ago. I'm about 5 -

"Oof," I groaned.
"Watch where you're going!"
"Sorry, sorry!"

Where was I? Oh, right. Heading to my locker, and something else...

"Hey, Zach!" a voice called. I looked around to find out who it was.
"Oh, its just you," I said, figuring out who the voice belonged to. "Hey, Nick"

My best friend. We don't share History together. Probably one of the teacher's ideas, trying to make the last class as peaceful as possible. Nick and I share all our classes but this one. He's sort of taller than me, but I tell him we're the same height just to piss him off. He plays whatever sport the school lets its students play. He's really well defi- err... built. The jock. I'm the brains of this duo. The nerd.

"Helloooo?" he said, waving his hand frantically in my face.
"Huh?"
"Hahaha. Wanna hang out at your house?"
"Yeah, sure"
"Race ya?"
"Uhh, how about no? You know you're gonna win"
"Yeah, so?"
"If you wanna run go ahead, but you can't get in without my key." I fished my key out of my pocket and dangled it in his face-
"I didn't that that was gonna work, haha!" he said, taking off with my key.
I ran after him. "Dammit! Get back here!"

My house wasn't that far from school. Normally, if I walked, I'd be home in fifteen minutes. If I ran, I'd be there in ten.

"Get *huff* back here..." I gasped.
"Wow. You're slow as hell, dude," he said, looking out of my window. The damn kid wasn't even out of breath!

I sat down on the front steps, wheezing.

"Aww, ya out of breath?" he said, opening the door behind me. "Catch."
He threw my keys. And if I had any measure of hand-eye coordination, I would have caught it. But I dont.

"Jeez, stop makin me do all the work," I said. "What are you starin at? Do I look that good?"
"Huh? No, behind you," he said.

And I looked. And I saw the Order's First Fleet. The Fleet was the Order's aerial weapon. Airships powered using the Emotion Core. I'd tell you more, but documents about the EC are restricted. Something about them being stolen a few years back.

"One of these days, I'll be piloting one of those," he said.
"Sure ya will. And I'm gonna be the this city's next Cardinal," I mused.
"Wonder where they're headed..."
"To battle, you dummy,"
"I know, but where?"
"Yeah, cuz I totally know all the military's plans"

I picked up my key from the ground and walked into the house. The house was empty save for the two of us. My parents were working, both in the military. My dad was in Research and Development or R&D for short, my mom as a healer.

"Stop starin at 'em and come inside the house," I called.

I heard him close the door as he ran inside and up the stairs into what I guess was my room. He's been over here lots of times. We knew each other since we were both eight years old. He moved here after the Vatican expanded its territories and tried to bring as many of its members from all over the world.

I walked up the stairs, my legs starting to ache a bit from the run. I wasn't heavy by any standard, but my body wasn't used to the activiy. Atrophy from lack of use, I guess.

I opened the door to my room and walked in. Nick was lying on my bed, snoozing. Directly in front of the door was my CI, or computer interface. The Order revolutionized a whole lot of technology with their invention of the EC. To my left was the bed, facing the wall. Next to the bell was my closet. To the right was the door to my bathroom.

I walked over to my closet to change out of my school uniform. As I walked past the bed, I couldn't help but admire- I mean, uh... nevermind. He was easy on the eyes. I changed out of my clothes and walked back over to Nick, taking in the features of his face. His face looked like it was chiseled out of granite; a square jaw. His nose was, like the rest of him, beautiful. I couldn't help it, I was moving closer and closer to him. His eyes, a light blue that drew me in whenever I look at them. Wait, what?

"Dude! What the fuck were you about to do?" he looked at me, wide-eyed. "Y-you haven't... But you couldn't... It's forbidden... to forsake the Law..."
"F-forsake? I... I didn't... I was just..." I stammered.
"Just back off!" And I did.

He got off the bed and ran out of my room. I was crying now. I walked down the stairs to find him pacing about the living room.

"You know what happens to them, don't you? How could you choose to be one of them!" he shouted at me.
"I d-didn't choose this, Nick! If I had a choice, I-I would forget it all!"
"Then forget! How could you... I thought we were best buds"
"W-we are! I'm sorry! Just don't tell my-"
"I have to. The Law is clear. Hom-"
"Don't say it! You're my best friend! Nick, please!"
"You were my best friend too,"

The door opened and my parents walked in.

"Hey, boys," my father greeted. "Boys? Zach, what're ya cryin for?"
"Zackie, what's wrong?" my mother asked.

I was speechless.

"Nick, what happened?" asked my mother again.
"zach. He's forsaken the Laws and turned his back on us," he answered.

He walked towards the door.
"They can fix you. When you're back to normal, I'll be here. They can help you. The Order can help you," he told me, as he walked out the door. As he abandoned years of friendship. As he abandoned me.

Copyright © 2011 Emraell; All Rights Reserved.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..