Jump to content
    Fishwings
  • Author
  • 541 Words
  • 7,426 Views
  • 1 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

I'm Not From Earth - 1. One

Disclaimer: The following may contain coarse language and violence. The characters and plot are property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thank you MJ and Colin for the wonderful editing and for being great friends.

o n e

 

Rover trembled as he climbed the stairs wrought outside the nightclub, wondering why the breeze that swept through a mid-summer's night could be so chilling. Laboriously, step after step, he worked his sore legs. His breath was short and with every pant he exhaled, a piercing bout of pain ignited through his side. He wasn't sure what exactly was injured, or how bad it was, as the kick his father had given him was slightly harder than usual and his headache pounded excruciatingly enough to impair his thoughts. It was without doubt that something was broken though -- besides, of course, his heart.


Rover believed that his heart had been born unfixed.

He paused to take a breath, massaging the bridge between his eyes, the hum of traffic buzzing a dozen stories below, and he tried to listen past the reverberating bass-line of the nightclub he has just passed through. Listening for voices and any footsteps that sparked of urgency. Could Rover have seriously been followed even after his elaborate escape path? Where could they possibly be? Would they still be travelling in their car, or would they be searching for him on foot?

Would his father be with them?

That very thought alone was enough to make Rover's head spin. A fresh wave of fear shook through him, and his limbs shivered violently from the rush of adrenaline that had coursed through his arteries just minutes earlier. He climbed a few more steps, scanning his surroundings with a sudden new thought, suppressing an additional spark of trepidation.

Forget about running away to Somerset's house -- he didn't even know where he was!

The tall apartments and skyscrapers that surrounded Rover were ominous sentries -- tall, concrete and glass structures that blocked out the stars that he was so accustomed to see. Cold patchworks of lights stared down on Rover, glimmering like thousands of eyes. They were watching his every move, illuminating him in eerie spotlights, as if screaming with silent thoughts, you'll be just fine, as long as you keep running!

He picked up the pace, reaching the top of the rusty metal staircase and entering the flat rooftop of the building.

At least up here, it was silent. Up here it was desolate. Up here, his guards couldn't possibly reach him. Up here was safe.

Rover froze in the action of sitting himself down. Something caught his eye -- A tall figure leaning against the side of the roof, veiled in a black profile cast by the bright and cold moon.

As if he could hear the elevated heartbeat of another presence in his territory, the figure turned, strong arms unfolding almost like an eagle preparing to take flight, and he moved forwards. Step after step he approached, the pad of his shoes against the rough concrete silent, until the meagre lights from the nearby buildings found their way to his face.

And Rover, blinking once and once only in surprise, in fear, in desire, in awe, in endearment, in wonder, and in questioning, surrendered himself completely and utterly to those enchanting, slim eyes of fiery green. Absolute stranger though he still was.

Unwise and incautious as it may have been.

*

Copyright © 2011 Luc Rosen; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This is definitely the kind of story start that drives me to want to skip reviewing and jump right in. Yet my desire to compliment the author is too strong. Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..